Gosh I've been SL forever!!

How many inches do you need to get to APL?

I don't want to be discouraging, just realistic. It looks like from your siggy pic that you need about 2-3inches for the longest part of your hair to reach APL. Can you grow and retain that much by october? That's only 3 months away.

I think it's really important to set realistic goals so that you don't disappoint yourself. And I don't know that wearing your hair down is stopping your retention, but if it is then that makes October seem all the less likely to me.

Protetive styling is tough, because at the end of the day, I love my hair and I love to wear it out. But I think at SL it is a must to move on to APL.

How many inches do you need to get to APL?

I don't want to be discouraging, just realistic. It looks like from your siggy pic that you need about 2-3inches for the longest part of your hair to reach APL. Can you grow and retain that much by october? That's only 3 months away.

I think it's really important to set realistic goals so that you don't disappoint yourself. And I don't know that wearing your hair down is stopping your retention, but if it is then that makes October seem all the less likely to me.

I have grown and retained that much hair in that amount of time growing from BC to NL then NL to SL. It just doesn't seem to be working for SL to APL. The hair is growing.... I start feeling NG from 2 weeks post relaxer and I have at least 1.5 inches when I relax. As I said I already cut off 2 inches between Oct. and April because my ends looked horrible.

I have grown and retained that much hair in that amount of time growing from BC to NL then NL to SL. It just doesn't seem to be working for SL to APL. The hair is growing.... I start feeling NG from 2 weeks post relaxer and I have at least 1.5 inches when I relax. As I said I already cut off 2 inches between Oct. and April because my ends looked horrible.

Well then I'm with everyone else, wearing your hair down is probably the issue. Either protect your ends or switch to super moisturizing and strengthening products. That way your ends will be less likely to get dried out or broken from daily wear and tear. You should probably moisturize and seal more often as well if you're going to wear your hair down.

Well then I'm with everyone else, wearing your hair down is probably the issue. Either protect your ends or switch to super moisturizing and strengthening products. That way your ends will be less likely to get dried out or broken from daily wear and tear. You should probably moisturize and seal more often as well if you're going to wear your hair down.

I guess I up moisturizing to at least 5x a week instead of 2 to 3x. I would rollerset but I don't have a hood dryer and I don't have time to airdry with rollers. ....hmm maybe I can dry with a blow dryer.....

I gotta do something to get this hair on the right path.

Trust me girl...once you stop thinking about it and keep taking care of your hair, you'll be there in no time. APL is not that far away from SL so it's not going to be forever like you think.

Think about it this way: Time is going by anyway but wouldn't you rather be APL this time next year instead of still SL. So, keep doing what you are doing and you'll see the results your hoping for...or even better.:yep:

I'm with you! my sister is at APL and i'm like i hate you! i was hoping to be at least 2 inches away from APL right now. i'm consistenly doing protective styles (weaves, bunning, and braids). Taking vitamins and using growth aids but haven't seen much growth (see siggy). :nono:
One thing that i did notice is how healthy and thick my hair is!!!:grin:

I guess I up moisturizing to at least 5x a week instead of 2 to 3x. I would rollerset but I don't have a hood dryer and I don't have time to airdry with rollers. ....hmm maybe I can dry with a blow dryer.....

I gotta do something to get this hair on the right path.
i put the rollers in my damp hair and in the morning its almost dry
then i get my blow dryer place it on high and hold the rollers 2-4 inches from my hair. then when i feel its dry i wait 5 minutes and then take the rollers out. it leads to a bouncy finish
icon7.gif

My sister is APL.... her hair gets from a bob to APL in less than a year and her hair is extra thick. She does not take care of her hair, she uses heat almost daily, she has mad shedding but she still has a thick *** head of apl hair. It never fails. :(

i put the rollers in my damp hair and in the morning its almost dry
then i get my blow dryer place it on high and hold the rollers 2-4 inches from my hair. then when i feel its dry i wait 5 minutes and then take the rollers out. it leads to a bouncy finish
icon7.gif
I can do that if I'm by myself of if SO is already asleep at night

I can do that if I'm by myself of if SO is already asleep at night
forget about SO for now
icon10.gif
its all about your progress. pls dont let him get in the way of you getting to apl and beyond. rollers are very durable even at night you'll be fine and they shouldnt come out

forget about SO for now
icon10.gif
its all about your progress. pls dont let him get in the way of you getting to apl and beyond. rollers are very durable even at night you'll be fine and they shouldnt come out

:grin::grin:

guess I need to put him on a time out sometimes

It may be the brand of vitamin you're taking. Different vitamins produce different results. I know of a great brand and if anyone would like the name, email me a [email protected].

Also I'll have pictures next week to show these vitamins really work.

I just take regular vitamins.... one a day and I take flaxseed. I don't take any vits for hair growth, just the regular supplements.

pm me the brand you use and is it for hair growth?

Me too, I haven't had a touch up since February but I may have to get a trim, so who knows. I may be there but then I may have to get some hair taken off. I haven't had to have a trim since October but eh, wwhatever. I just better make it by the end of this year. And I'm not claiming no 1/8 of an inch of my tip touching APL, lol...

HANG IN THERE i been where ever i am now for two YEARS I BRAID UP FOR 8 MONTHS AND CAME OUT LOOKING THE SAME LOL and cant hold a curl this year. so i am hanging in too.

its definitely frustrating and i can sympathize cause i've been APL forever it seems. What i do now is try not to look at the length as opposed to the health of my hair.

:lol: You and me both. I must have a giraffe neck or something because APL looks super far on me from the back compared to other members pictures.

I'm 5'9"
I thought I'd be APL by now but I gotta wait longer

I'm 5'1 and it took me from May 2008 until June 2009 to reach APL, and it's past APL on one side, and barely scraping on the other! Don't give up! :yep:

Val, I would have NEVER gone past SL if it weren't for protective styling - I was a bunning maniac. Your SO may disagree now, but come bet he'll do a 180 when your hair is swinging down your back.

Im also 5'9" but it only took me a little less then 7 months to get to apl and the key for me was low manipulation. I was my hair with shampoo 1x a month and I co-wash 1 time a month. In other words I only wash my hair once weekly. I am permed as well. Hope this helps.

I was stuck at SL for YEARS!!!! Then I started taking biotin and it kick started my growth. Unfortunately I didnt take any better care of my hair and it got to bsl but it was split and dry. Ive cut it several times since then and feel like the biotin isnt really working for me as much as it did when I first started it 5 years ago but I know that it worked for me and several of my friends I recommended it to. BUT...you have to be consistent! GOOD LUCK!!!

i feel your pain and unfortunately i can't offer you any additional advice; i'm definitely going to try protective styling more (my darn wig makes it too hot and unbearable).

I feel like I've been SL for a very long time!! On with the next phase already :(

I feel you. I was SL for awhile, but I had a major setback that may put me at a little above SL. :wallbash: When I get my touch up I will see where I'm at, but I do feel like I am not making any progress. :(

Back