Good advice your stylist gave you...

...so often we hear the bad things that stylists have done/told us. I'm just wondering if anyone here every got a piece of advice that benefitted them? Years ago I didn't know any better that constantly having my hair blowdried could cause major problems. Anyway my stylist recommended that i get rollerwraps to ease the heat off my tresses. If she hadn't siad that I'd probably still be doing the blowdrying thing. I'd be bald now if it wasn't for her.

To use a heat protectant on my hair.
Put setting lotion on my ends to prevent splits.
Wear a silky/satin scarf at night.
Cut back on the curling iron.
I got CON from a stylist

To tie my hair up at night but I didn't listen until I came to LHCF and got serious about stopping the breakage and growing my hair out.

I was shocked when my current stylist, who I only see when I need a touchup, was generous with her knowledge.

She told me:

- Not to use Sebastian 2+1 when my hair was weak or damaged
- To alternate using proteins every other washing
- To master doing my own roller set (since I live so far away)
- Avoid direct heat

Not all stylists are vindictive, evil witches that are out to get us and our money... it's just that a good one is hard to find, kinda like a needle in a overpriced, overpopulated haystack. :lol:

My stylist also told me to make sure that I comb my hair as straight as i possibly can come relaxer time so she will avoid tearing through it to apply the perm, and therefore avoid any unecessary breakage.

Golden nuggets, baby. :yep:

My stylist told me to do hard-core protein treatments every 6 weeks or so and do moisturizing/conditioning treatments every week. Also do co-washes and only trim my ends 2-3 times a year if I'm trying to grow my hair long, every 6-8 weeks if I'm maintaining a certain style.

MizAvalon said:
To not relax hair bone straight.

My ex-stylist told me that as well.

She also said that I should wash my hair in the sink because the water pressure in the shower wasn't strong enough to thoroughly clean my hair.
i dont know about that one though... besides my neck gets tired from leaning over the sink. :(

Adding egg white to my cholesterol treatments at least once or twice a month. And not relaxing bone straight.

ETA: what's the difference between Lye and No Lye?? :confused:

My stylist told me to tie a silk or satin scarf around my hair at night but also wear a silk scarf around my coat in the winter because the wool from my coat or sweaters can be very drying. She also told me to wear a silk scarf or satin skullcap under my hats that don't have silk lining.

My first weave ever, my stylist told me to buy quality hair so I wouldnt be walking around with yak in my head. Also another stylist refused to re do the results of a self applied underprocessed disaster.

To stop applying so much product to my hair. Even though I knew and used hair vitamins because of LHCF...my stylist actually reinforced it.

-add a multivitamin to my diet
-don't use my brush so often
-alternate sides that I sleep on
-don't let the curling iron sit on the hair too long
-get touch ups less frequently

This is all from a girl that I saw when I was in college. She was THE BEST. I've contemplated (in the past) driving 3 hours on a regular basis just to get her to do my hair

[QUOTE/ my stylist recommended that i get rollerwraps to ease the heat off my tresses. If she hadn't said that I'd probably still be doing the blowdrying thing. I'd be bald now if it wasn't for her.[/QUOTE]

My stylist recommended rollerwraps for me also.

My stylist drilled in me to always cover my head with a silk/satin scarf when it's windy to keep the wind from slicing through my hair.

To use Porosity Control on my hair because my colored ends were very porous.
To use a heat protectant (Biosilk) when flat ironing.
To wash weekly to keep my hair and scalp clean and buildup at a minimum.

Back