Sophisticate's Black Hair's Horrble Hair Advice (RANT)

chayil0427

UGH! I'm so disgusted with an article I read last night in Sophisticate's Black Hair Magazine. Yet, I know that black hair mags are notorious for sub par hair advice and only publishing women with weaves but this article was especially bad. It seemd to perpetuate every black hair myth I've learned to disregard in my journey for long hair.

Among the bad advice was a stylist who insisted you have to trim your hair every 8 weeks of the strand would split all the way up. The same stylist recommended relaxing every 6 weeks to avoid breakage. Yet, the kicker for me was the stylist who suggested you wash your hair less often to maintain the life of your relaxer, and there was a general agreement among all that the less water your hair comes in contact with the better.

I was so pissed after reading this I threw the magazine in the chair. The advice was horrible, and it seemed that every advertisement in the mag was for weave or solutions for hair loss and "slow growth" (Slow growth is actually rare...it's usually extreme breakage that's the problem). No wonder black women are losing their hair at remarkable rates when such stupid advice is a regular part of our hair care belief system. One girl who'd written in complaining of dry hair was encouraged to cut her hair. I'm thinking since when has cutting your hair moisturized it!

My advice, keep your hair and scalp clean at all times. Balance your moisturizers and protiens. Protect your hair at night. Only relax your NG (HAIR DOES NOT REVERT AFTER BEING RELAXED. RELAXERS ARE PERMANENT!!!! The part that's not relaxed after a few weeks is NEW GROWTH not reverted hair!) And my biggest tips of all --- stay away from shear and relaxer happy stylists if you wanna maintain your 6 inches of growth per year!!!

Chayil:mad:

Last edited:
Uugh, i cant believe that crap was actually published in a magazine! How sad..... miseducating so many folks!!!!!!! That is awful! Just awful! :(

chayil0427 said:
UGH! I'm so disgusted with an article I read last night in Sophisticate's Black Hair Magazine. Yet, I know that black hair mags are notorious for sub par hair advice and only publishing women with weaves but this article was especially bad. It seemd to perpetuate every black hair myth I've learned to disregard in my journey for long hair.

Among the bad advice was a stylist who insisted you have to trim your hair every 8 weeks of the strand would split all the way up. The same stylist recommended relaxing every 6 weeks to avoid breakage. Yet, the kicker for me was the stylist who suggested you wash your hair less oftend to maintain the life of your relaxer, and there was a general agreement among all that the less water your hair comes in contact with the better.

I was so pissed after reading this I threw the magazine in the chair. The advice was horrible, and it seemed that every advertisement in the mag was for weave or solutions for hair loss and "slow growth" (Slow growth is actually rare...it's usually extreme breakage that's the problem). No wonder black women are losing their hair at remarkable rates when such stupid advice is a regular part of our hair care belief system. One girl who'd written in complaining of dry hair was encouraged to cut her hair. I'm thinking since when has cutting your hair moisturized it!

My advice, keep your hair and scalp clean at all times. Balance your moisturizers and protiens. Protect your hair at night. Only relax your NG (HAIR DOES NOT REVERT AFTER BEING RELAXED. RELAXERS ARE PERMANENT!!!! The part that's not relaxed after a few weeks is NEW GROWTH not reverted hair!) And my biggest tips of all --- stay away from shear and relaxer happy stylists if you wanna maintain your 6 inches of growth per year!!!

nicely stated and well put!!! I agree with everything you said. It is very frustrating to be misinformed by stylist...My solution to this.. I no longer go to one! Not only am I saving much money but I also have healthier hair because of the knowledge that I am constantly learning about our hair:)

This is so true before I joined LHCF I subscribed to so many hair magazines. I did not follow any advice that was given because it just did not sound right. They want you to pay four and five dollars to read all of their lies. I am so glad my subscription ended.

That's so ridiculous! These people are STYLISTS?! How is it that I've been on this site for about two months now, and I know 150 times more info on haircare than they do? Thousands of women are gonna read that article, follow the instructions and go bald shortly thereafter! I can't believe they published that crap!

Some of the magazine advice is so blatantly wrong, it's like there's a plot to keep women of color desperate and dependent on certain products and services. Sort of like what the cigarette industry did.

I think you should copy your post in a word document, print it out and mail it to them! You should also send them a link here.

tiffers said:
That's so ridiculous! These people are STYLISTS?! How is it that I've been on this site for about two months now, and I know 150 times more info on haircare than they do? Thousands of women are gonna read that article, follow the instructions and go bald shortly thereafter! I can't believe they published that crap!

Likewise, I'm so thankful for the boards. I picked up on a lot of stuff on my own and was digging for more info online when I ran across the boards.

It makes me so angry though. I'm tired of seeing black women dependent on weaves...even young girls are getting weaves. And every time I see a young girl with burned gnawed off hair and huge flakes of dirt, skin cells and grease on her scalpo it just makes me wanna grab her mother and shake her.

It's so sad. And the funny thing is most of the people dishing out this advice don't have much hair...or they've been at the same length (usually somewhere around mid neck to shoulder) for years without any progress. All the while they think their hair is not growing even though they continue to have to get touch ups. It's either breaking or your stylist is trimming all your growth off.

Even thoughI love my stylist I don't go in like he would wish. I feel like I can love my hair better than anyone else, and when I need him I call him...otherwise I use the knowledge I've gained to get better and better at styling and caring for my hair myself.

Chayil

tmichelle said:
I think you should copy your post in a word document, print it out and mail it to them! You should also send them a link here.

Actually I do plan to write them. I'm sure my letter won't be published but I Was so angry I just have to make my voice heard.

Chayil

This is why I don't buy black hair magazines anymore. There expensive anyway and they give bad advice. I get way better product recommendations and advice form LHCF.

chayil0427 said:

Among the bad advice was a stylist who insisted you have to trim your hair every 8 weeks of the strand would split all the way up. The same stylist recommended relaxing every 6 weeks to avoid breakage. Yet, the kicker for me was the stylist who suggested you wash your hair less often to maintain the life of your relaxer, and there was a general agreement among all that the less water your hair comes in contact with the better.

You should write a response. I just had a conversation with a coworker regarding washing frequently. I explained to her that I had better success washing my hair often. The most I usually go is a week to 1 1/2 weeks.

just_DSP said:
Some of the magazine advice is so blatantly wrong, it's like there's a plot to keep women of color desperate and dependent on certain products and services. Sort of like what the cigarette industry did.

IMO, that's exactly what it is. Magazines make money/stay afloat through advertisement dollars. I give you bad advice on one page, and then offer you a quick fix advertisement on the next page. The consumer is caught up in the mix and doesn't even know it. Like Chris Rock said, "the money is not in the cure, but in the comeback".

Country gal said:
You should write a response. I just had a conversation with a coworker regarding washing frequently. I explained to her that I had better success washing my hair often. The most I usually go is a week to 1 1/2 weeks.

I agree you should get on them for the messed up advice. This is an example of people who are in it for the money not the health & well being of the client that reads the magazine.

You are so right. These Magazines make money on the come back. Its always product after product being advertised. But the advice is bad. Since I have came on here and changed my regimen using oils moisturizing and protecting my ends. taking my vits and drinking my Carrot juice, my hair has gotten thicker and healthier and I barely see a split end. Ethnic women (specially black women) in general spend more money on hair and weaves and unhealthy products than any other group. And the Sad part most of our hair stylists do not know how to care for our hair ( like the one who tried to detangle my hair with shampoo in it not residue full suds with a Rat tail comb ),they get their Training and know how from these same Magazine.

These magazines job is to ensure that more of our money goes into these products that clog pores, dries your hair, make you go bald and then you have to go and buy more products to fix the problem they created.
So this year lets commit to not be product junkies and bad advice junkies.

As for tha ***** who tried to do that the salon owner is Eve.. the rapper's Hair stylist .... it explains it all. The answer can be obtained by looking at Eve's head...

Last edited:
KiniKakes said:
Uugh, i cant believe that crap was actually published in a magazine! How sad..... miseducating so many folks!!!!!!! That is awful! Just awful! :(

That's how they make their money!

Horrible advice. No wonder so many black women are bald! :mad:

Thanx for saying this. IDK why people think that wetting or "sweating out" relaxed hair will revert it... :confused:

chayil0427 said:

chayil0427 said:

This angers me also! Most people get their info through television, radio, internet, and magazines. Black women are in dire need of educational info through these widely respected forms of media. Can you imagine what would happen if Oprah had a few shows about this issue? Or Tyra? Hell, if Tyra stopped wearing the weaves and nursed her hair to an healthy state, and then shared all of these tips, that would do wonders in demolishing all of the incorrect information and stupid myths.

Or if there was constant literature on healthy hair care in the magazines with high circulation? If the info we all know was more public, it would transform the way our community approaches hair care, hair image, love for our hair, etc. We subscribe to the most damaging stereotypes...

Last edited:
sweetcoco said:
This is so true before I joined LHCF I subscribed to so many hair magazines. I did not follow any advice that was given because it just did not sound right. They want you to pay four and five dollars to read all of their lies. I am so glad my subscription ended.

That's a damn shame... :nono:

I never did just 'read' their garbage anyway. The pictures were pretty but most of the women wore artificial hair so the magazine didn't offer much to me to begin with.

bklynwildheart said:
Thanx for saying this. IDK why people think that wetting or "sweating out" relaxed hair will revert it... :confused:

I've also heard that using neutralizing shampoo reverts it. I'm not going to say who because that's my blood, but I know some one who only shampoos her daughters hair 1x with neutralizing poo after relaxing.

You only get 2-3 weeks tops w/o visible new growth after a relaxer because, tragically, your hair GROWS, just like chayil said. The only reason people try to avoid washing is because they do not know how to deep condition properly after shampooing, and that snarls up the new growth, making them believe that the relaxer didn't take or reverted or something.

chayil0427 said:
Even thoughI love my stylist I don't go in like he would wish. I feel like I can love my hair better than anyone else, and when I need him I call him...otherwise I use the knowledge I've gained to get better and better at styling and caring for my hair myself.

Chayil

Speaking of stylist, I'm having a problem with mine. I'm going to create a thread about it, though, and get some opinions.

I love my stylist and it was her that first wanted me to stop getting perms. She pressed my hair weekly and it did flourish but I am sure that the harsh coloring that we were doing was no help either. This article states several things that beauty schools are teaching beauticians. There is no way that they all can think this and not have gotten their information from the same misguided source. I have learned great ways to style and care for my hair from this site, LHCF has been wonderful and I know that my hair is healthier and that no one can care for it like me. I have gained the knowledge and confidence to know that I am whats best for my hair.

Closer1 said:
You are so right. These Magazines make money on the come back. Its always product after product being advertised. But the advice is bad. Since I have came on here and changed my regimen using oils moisturizing and protecting my ends. taking my vits and drinking my Carrot juice, my hair has gotten thicker and healthier and I barely see a split end. Ethnic women (specially black women) in general spend more money on hair and weaves and unhealthy products than any other group. And the Sad part most of our hair stylists do not know how to care for our hair ( like the one who tried to detangle my hair with shampoo in it not residue full suds with a Rat tail comb ),they get their Training and know how from these same Magazine.

These magazines job is to ensure that more of our money goes into these products that clog pores, dries your hair, make you go bald and then you have to go and buy more products to fix the problem they created.
So this year lets commit to not be product junkies and bad advice junkies.

As for tha ***** who tried to do that the salon owner is Eve.. the rapper's Hair stylist .... it explains it all. The answer can be obtained my looking at Eve's head...

Preach, girl! Whew! That is so true how many black stylists that we all patronize don't know the first thing about healthy hair, much less LONG, THICK hair!

Omigod! I almost had to cuss my stylist out last night! :mad:

chayil0427 said:
I'm thinking since when has cutting your hair moisturized it!

haha this is funny as heck!

We should ALL write letters to them, matter of fact, scratch that because they'll just ignore it and never publish them. LHCF needs to come out with a monthly black hair mag for black and ethnic women, and in it's first publication it should expose the methods of Sophisticates and Hype and encourage a boycott of the two magazines. Maybe that isn't legally ethical or something, but there's ways you can say it like, "You may have read in other large hair care publications that you should do this.." And just explain why that doesn't work and keeps them stuck. The models could all be members of LHCF, with REAL long hair and styles. Who cares about the celebs faces if they are lying about how they achieve it anyway? It could even have a section of progress every month showing photos of women on their hair growth journey, and the testimonies of women who have achieved it. LHCF could take over the world of black hair care!! Whoever owns this site needs to do this, seriously.

Malice said:
We should ALL write letters to them, matter of fact, scratch that because they'll just ignore it and never publish them. LHCF needs to come out with a monthly black hair mag for black and ethnic women, and in it's first publication it should expose the methods of Sophisticates and Hype and encourage a boycott of the two magazines. Maybe that isn't legally ethical or something, but there's ways you can say it like, "You may have read in other large hair care publications that you should do this.." And just explain why that doesn't work and keeps them stuck. The models could all be members of LHCF, with REAL long hair and styles. Who cares about the celebs faces if they are lying about how they achieve it anyway? It could even have a section of progress every month showing photos of women on their hair growth journey, and the testimonies of women who have achieved it. LHCF could take over the world of black hair care!! Whoever owns this site needs to do this, seriously.

Now THAT would be something! We could have relaxed and natural ladies depicting styles of all kind!

Wow! I like it! :yep:

Beverly can be the Editor-in-Chief! :)

I guess when one pick up these magazines, the first question to ask is "what are they selling"... I stop buying hair magazines once I found hair sites, see no need for them because they always steer you into buying their products... A lot of black women dream of having long hair so these magazines offer a quick fix and that's why they are still around. Black women need to realize that our hair can grow and all we need is information, such as what's available on LHCF, in order to have healthy hair.

Back