Advice a stylist gave @ other board

bklynwildheart said:
What's the site's name? I wanna see the drama unfold...

:D

Yes do tell!!! I just want to argue with her becuse I know she aint gonna win! Somone said earlier that some of her hair was left in the perm jar and the next time she relaxed the hairs dissolved. That is EXACTLY what happens when you overprocess your hair. Somebody also said that a sylist told her or said her hair reverted. EXCUSE ME?????? I wish I could tell that stylist that once the chemical bonds are broken down in the hair shaft, they don't ABRA CADABRA re-bond!!! Its a chemical breakdown! Thats why when you decide to go natural, all permed hair must come off (eventually) because it won't revert back to its original state! Yeah...they must a gotten thier licences not at WalMart, but the dollar store!

:lachen:Sylver2, I think you were talking to my old hairdresser:lachen: However, on a more dim note, this used to happen to me everytime I went for a relaxer in 2004:mad: My last relaxer there was Feb 2005. At the time my hair seemed normal BUT THIN which is what led me to ask WHY. I am literally sworn off of hairressers. The word "hairdresser" puts me in a dark place:lol: . The next time I visit that place is to swing some long beautiful hair in their face:cool:

sylver2 said:
somebody replied agreeing with her and had this to say explaining it

Now, to the whole realxing the whole head thing. I'm not a professional, but I have had my whole head re-relaxed before. My stylist said that my hair had reverted, meaning that it was basically rejecting the relaxer. When I would get just my new growth retouched, the rest of my hair looked different. It wasn't as straight as the retouched part. So she relaxed all of my hair, from root to ends. Nothing bad happened to my hair. Its still nice and healthy. (ends need trimming right now though) But like everyone has said, it probably is done on a case by case scenario. Everyone's hair can't stand the same type of treatment.

and the stylist came back on and said.. exactly, she is right.

I am a licensed cosmetologist and I was never taught nor have I ever read that one should relax the whole head. Most stylist are all about the money the more the better. That is why I am not working with my license. I just could not sell services to people that I knew they didn't need just because I needed the money.

OH MY GOD!!!! i am cracking up (literally in hysterics), reading this post.....LOL... LOL>>>>LOL....my mom who is in the other room probably thinks i am crazy....

sylver2 said:
My response to her again
Originally Posted by sylverr2
Her respnse back
this i agree on but works for you most likely will not work for all. Before I decided to cut my hair of it was knee-length (ill see can i find some pics) and if i dared wait even 2 weeks past a touchup my hair would start breaking.

Knee length? Yeah right! And my name is Oprah Winfrey!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

WTF????

I am also a licensed hairdresser/cosmetologist and I was taught that one should NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER apply the relaxer to the whole head UNLESS one is doing a virgin relaxer...shucks..I don't even believe in "corrective relaxers".

Touch-ups are just that.....touching up the NEW GROWTH ONLY..I don't care if your hair is super thick or not -- the relaxer should only be applied to the new growth.

Her licensed should be REVOKED!!

I gotta disagree with a lot of you ladies regarding stretching. NOT everyone can stretch. I speak from experience.

I have fine hair, and I've posted a number of times about what stretching did to my hair. For the first time ever I tried to stretch a relaxer over a couple of months. I ended up with so much breakage it was ridiculous, despite proper care and gentle handling of the new growth. My hair normally never broke off. Now I'm in a recovery phase and it's a lesson learned.

My stylist had thought I was trying to transition, not just stretch. I told her what I was doing and she was adamant about me not trying that again, for my kinda hair. Honestly I'd never recommend it to anyone, but to each her own.

As for perming a whole head, I had that done once by a British guy on a cruise ship who was just too thrilled to do "Afro Haaah." I wouldn't have, really I wouldn't have, but I absolutely could not go another day without one. He gave me a speech about how a relaxer conditions the hair and I watched in horror as he dragged it down the length of my whole head and probably left it on for a good 30 minutes (it was agony, too, but he disappeared somewhere and I just had to deal). For the next two weeks I was sure it was all gonna fall out (let's not even TALK about the lye burns), but turned out I was fine, and so was my poor little head of hair. Never again.

Last edited:
sylver2 said:
somebody replied agreeing with her and had this to say explaining it

Now, to the whole realxing the whole head thing. I'm not a professional, but I have had my whole head re-relaxed before. My stylist said that my hair had reverted, meaning that it was basically rejecting the relaxer. When I would get just my new growth retouched, the rest of my hair looked different. It wasn't as straight as the retouched part. So she relaxed all of my hair, from root to ends. Nothing bad happened to my hair. Its still nice and healthy. (ends need trimming right now though) But like everyone has said, it probably is done on a case by case scenario. Everyone's hair can't stand the same type of treatment.

and the stylist came back on and said.. exactly, she is right.

Slver 2,

You are absolutely right! I am glad you challeged her. I am a former cosmetolgist. That stylist should know better!!!

She would not have passed the state board exam by relaxing a whole head of hair. We have to demonstate on human hair dummies. Relaxers and colors should only be applied to the new growth as to prevent overlapping. Overlapping leads to overprocessing which can lead to major damage. It is in the every cosmetologist text book I have ever seen.

I am amazed at how some of these stylists are so misinformed. No wonder so many women are coming out of these salons with severe damage. This is one reason why I came from behind the chair.

Some of the knowledge on this board from intelligent sensible women who have never had a professional license put to shame a lot of the people working in these salons.

I am so glad this board exists.

My first thought was OMG! WTH is going on. Yeah I agree stretching isn't for everyone, but perming your whole head again and again is just asking for trouble. That is why I do my own naps.

Ok my stylist and every cosmetologist (sp?) I know does not recommend relaxing the entire head but everytime I get a relaxer some relaxer does get on the ends (previously relaxed hair). She doesnt relax the entire head but it does happen. Ok maybe Im lost and this isnt the same thing. :look:

sky_blu said:
Ok my stylist and every cosmetologist (sp?) I know does not recommend relaxing the entire head but everytime I get a relaxer some relaxer does get on the ends (previously relaxed hair). She doesnt relax the entire head but it does happen. Ok maybe Im lost and this isnt the same thing. :look:

A tip I learned is to put conditioner over the botton 2/3 of the hair to prevent overlapping. Some of the conditioners you don't like anymore will suffice. This will protect the rest of the hair during perming and help with the overall condition of the hair after perming.

I dont know if this has been said but I was always told by stylists that you shouldnt relax your own hair because most self relaxers over process by overlapping..that is in total contridiction to what this guy said..

It makes no sense .... :confused:

Oh dear! :eek:

It is so frightening to think that there are people out there dishing out such ill-informed advice, under the guise of a "professional." I bet a lot of folks on that board will listen to that woman and begin to ask their stylist to apply the relaxer to the full length of hair... and will start decreasing the time between touch-ups, for fear of "breakage." Hopefully these people will be going to stylists who know better than to heed such foolish advice. :ohwell:

Your words back to her were REALLY good. Im glad you said something, instead of just walking away silently without replying, which in a way would have been compliance/acceptance.

Just goes to show that every "professional" out there who has attended cosmetology school and is "licensed" does NOT have all the correct answers/knowledge/fact. *smh* A darn shame, getting out there and publicly spewing such ignorance.

Bunny77 said:
And she can't spell and her grammar is horrible!

(had to pile on!)

YES she did indeed. You ladies said it all, so I have no other new commentary to add. But my head HURT reading what she wrote!!

ETA: No the other woman did not say her HAIR WAS REJECTING THE RELAXER!!! :eek:
Where the hell did she get that mess from???!!!
My eyes almost popped out of my sockets with that dumb mess!!

lauren450 said:
So, why did she cut her knee length hair, I wonder? Was it damaged? Breaking? See through ends? I'd bet it was all of the above, if she was following her own advice.

That annoys me. Maybe not everyone can stretch, but like everyone else has said, the whole head should only be relaxed the first time. After that, new growth only.

She probably didn't have the picture because she needs time to "find" a picture of someone with knee-length hair so she could post it and then say it's her.:lachen:

sylver2 said:
skimping on touchups is never recommended and i have never met a stylist that would recommend it.

I'm just going to put in my 2-cents. (read on for the pun) :D

There is definitely capitalism going on here. Big picture. Plain and simple. I think many stylists don't recommend stretching because they don't want to lose the revenue they get for charging customers $70-$150 (or more) for a touch-up. And if you can convince women they need to come as often as possible...Well, you do the math.

This is a significant thing considering something like over 80% of women have hair that has been chemically altered (colored, relaxed, permed, etc.) This is the bread-and-butter of the industry, and of course many stylists would like you to convince you to have touch-ups as much as possible. Kind of like the shaver/razor blade industry. Gillette does not get most of their revenue from selling their fancy shavers (heck, I get those free samples in the mail!). They make their money from the sale of replacement blades/razor heads.

But, honestly, I am not going to knock anyone for trying to make a few bucks. I just hope stylists are not doing so at the cost of the health of their customers' hair.

As just a little note, I must also agree with Blu217 that not everyone can stretch due to hair type, hair health, styling habits, choice, etc....whatever the reason. I won’t knock any one for not choosing to stretch, either. Sometimes I do, and will go on for 3-4 months, and sometimes I don’t and will get a touch up after 6-weeks.

CantBeCopied said:
That LYIN' *****!!!!! :eek: :mad: :( :ohwell:

Too right. You know how many of us black women would like to get our hair to at least half that length? Would we want to cut it if it was at our knees? We might cut it to our WAIST, but not back at our shoulders.:grin:

:ohwell: Okay being that I'm a licensed Cosmetologist myself, I WOULD HAVE TO SAY I TOTALLY DISAGREE :perplexed with this. People like this give people that's into hair care a bad name:spank: .She is just trying to make that money that's all. I think some people should keep opinions to themselves because for 1 overlapping perm every time you perm hair spells Breakage. She's special.

Now she may be right that some people can't stretch they 're perms but my comment on that would be if you keep hair oiled, moisturized and not to much manipulation you shouldn't have a problem to much with breakage

Dark&Lovley said:
I think some people should keep opinions to themselves because for 1 overlapping perm every time you perm hair spells Breakage. She's special.
:lachen:at he bolded part! But youre right, she probly rode the short bus!

Back