FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE.

I would like to join :) Although I am in the TWA Growout Challenge so I think it would be best for me to wait to post my pics here. I BC'ed on November 20th 2009. But, I have 3 1/2 inches. So, my length still qualifies me for the challenge :D I am mostly 4a with the perimeter of my hair being 3c & the crown being wavy & uber frizzy & poofy.

Regimen (when not in twists):
Cowash daily
Shampoo 1x a week
deep condition 1x a week
moisturize 1x a day
detangle 1x a week

Regimen (when in twists):
Shampoo 1x a week
detangle 1x a week
deep condition 1x a week
moisturize 1x a day

I'm really excited & serious about growing my hair back out. Thanks for making this challenge :D

I would like to join :) Although I am in the TWA Growout Challenge so I think it would be best for me to wait to post my pics here. I BC'ed on November 20th 2009. But, I have 3 1/2 inches. So, my length still qualifies me for the challenge :D I am mostly 4a with the perimeter of my hair being 3c & the crown being wavy & uber frizzy & poofy.

Regimen (when not in twists):
Cowash daily
Shampoo 1x a week
deep condition 1x a week
moisturize 1x a day
detangle 1x a week

Regimen (when in twists):
Shampoo 1x a week
detangle 1x a week
deep condition 1x a week
moisturize 1x a day

I'm really excited & serious about growing my hair back out. Thanks for making this challenge :D
You are so very welcome!

Okay, I'm officially overwhelmed.

I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do with my twa.

Right now I'm co-washing daily, applying a creamy leave-in (might need to rethink this), EVOO and IC or eco styler gel and going on about my biz.

I'm sure I have less than an inch up top...

Okay, I'm officially overwhelmed.

I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do with my twa.

Right now I'm co-washing daily, applying a creamy leave-in (might need to rethink this), EVOO and IC or eco styler gel and going on about my biz.

I'm sure I have less than an inch up top...

Congrats on your recent BC!! A lot of us experience/experienced dryness after the BC--it seems natural hair is much more thirsty. I've found that I can retain lots of moisture by baggying overnight and in the morning, simply fluff and go. I use S-curl, Amla & Olive heavy cream and seal with coconut oil--followed by a plastic conditioner cap, then a satin cap.

If I were you, I'd keep the creamy leave-in and EVOO and skip the gel. The gel may be contributing to your dryness. However, if you're using it to enhance your curl pattern, I would add more moisture, perhaps a glycerin based product, like S-Curl or Carefree Gold. There are several out there.

Try looking for some recipes of moisture-based spritzes that you can seal with an oil to trap the moisture. A lot of people find that shea butter works "miracles" for dryness and even a whipped shealoe concoction.

I hope that helps you at least get a start! Hang in there!

I co-wash three to four times a week, with a variety of conditioners. I am a serious PJ, but am determined to use them all.

My co-wash products are: Aubrey Org Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia, HE Hello Hydration, Organix Tea Tree Mint and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition.

I shampoo every two weeks with KCCC Come Clean, Qhemet Biologics Eygptian Wheatgrass or Avalon Clarifying Lemon.

My moisture basics are S-curl, Qhem Biol Amla & Olive heavy cream or Qhem Biol Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, KCCC Knot Today. I seal either with EVOO or EVCO. My hair loves coconut oil.

Growth Aid
- Mega-tek! Great protein base and the only one I use.

Styles: Wash n gos, headbands (I finally have enuf hair), half-wig (curly afro). I can't wait to have enough length for my kinky twists. I will have to wait until late fall at least. I plan on using this as my winter protective style.

I am a 4A with slight 3C resemblances and some of my hair just stands up straight with no curl pattern or structure. The nape is actually more loose in the 3C range. We'll if the textures remain the same with more length.

Aggie I think your hair is amazing!!! I think you would fit in the spin off thread let me know if I am incorrect! I just added a spin off for 09 ers!!!

Thanks PE. May I have the link to the spin off thread please or is it on the front page? Going to check right now:grin:.

After being here for so long and trying out so many things. I even made apl and a bit beyond. I BCed and now I have entered my "I don't care stage" I I don't sleep with a scarf at all. I hate the feel of too much products in my hair. Even the moisturizers. I know I know I know. I simply co wash and finger style. Im about to to cut out the curly pudding and just use conditioner. Im trying to reduce to 1 yes I said ONE product.

After being here for so long and trying out so many things. I even made apl and a bit beyond. I BCed and now I have entered my "I don't care stage" I I don't sleep with a scarf at all. I hate the feel of too much products in my hair. Even the moisturizers. I know I know I know. I simply co wash and finger style. Im about to to cut out the curly pudding and just use conditioner. Im trying to reduce to 1 yes I said ONE product.

OK Tamrin we are not keeping this up Ma'am :nono:. You need to buy a satin pillowcase if you are not going to wear a scarf and since our hair is still short you can do the condish only thing but YOU MUST seal with a light oil, can we agree on this for now????:look:

I would love to join in. I just cut all my relaxed ends off last week. It wasn't planned just got fed up one night, grabbed my scissors and went at it. I've been transitioning for 2 yrs now so maybe it was just time for me. Please count me in.
My first challenge

Nevermind, I just re-read the rules and I don't qualify for this challenge. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:
I want to join!! I cut my sisterlocks off in April, so I am back to the TWA...Growing my hair long again!!!

Hi guys. I BC'ed about a month ago after about 3 months of transitioning. I love how it looks but my hair is very dry. I've been searching for the right moisturizer. I love Phyto's but it's too expensive on my budget so the search continues.

My hair looks like this right now:
mhvncw.png

In this pic, I washed it with Pantene Shampoo and the Body Shop Honey conditioner and used a little bit of the Body Shop Cottonseed Curl Boost.I wash my hair once a week and Deepcondition every two weeks with Phyto intense nutrition mask. I don't really know much about hairtypes. I guess I'm mostly 4b with my crown being 4a. I have about 2 inches of hair. I don't have a lot of shrinkage. I have fine hair but a lot of them!

P.S I blurred my face (having a bad face day lol) but the quality of my webcam sucks. I'm planning on buying a new digital camera so for the updates I'll have clearer pictures!

I would love to join in. I just cut all my relaxed ends off last week. It wasn't planned just got fed up one night, grabbed my scissors and went at it. I've been transitioning for 2 yrs now so maybe it was just time for me. Please count me in.
My first challenge :yahoo:
Welcome how many inches do you have??? You may need to join the spin off if longer than 4 but less than 9 inches HHG? It is the same challenge!!

I want to join!! I cut my sisterlocks off in April, so I am back to the TWA...Growing my hair long again!!!
How many inches should I put you down for? WELCOME!

Hi guys. I BC'ed about a month ago after about 3 months of transitioning. I love how it looks but my hair is very dry. I've been searching for the right moisturizer. I love Phyto's but it's too expensive on my budget so the search continues.

My hair looks like this right now:
mhvncw.png

In this pic, I washed it with Pantene Shampoo and the Body Shop Honey conditioner and used a little bit of the Body Shop Cottonseed Curl Boost.I wash my hair once a week and Deepcondition every two weeks with Phyto intense nutrition mask. I don't really know much about hairtypes. I guess I'm mostly 4b with my crown being 4a. I have about 2 inches of hair. I don't have a lot of shrinkage. I have fine hair but a lot of them!

P.S I blurred my face (having a bad face day lol) but the quality of my webcam sucks. I'm planning on buying a new digital camera so for the updates I'll have clearer pictures!
PRETTY!!! WELCOME.

My first challenge

Nevermind, I just re-read the rules and I don't qualify for this challenge. Sorry 'bout that.

Please join the spin off some lovely heads over there!

Congrats on your recent BC!! A lot of us experience/experienced dryness after the BC--it seems natural hair is much more thirsty. I've found that I can retain lots of moisture by baggying overnight and in the morning, simply fluff and go. I use S-curl, Amla & Olive heavy cream and seal with coconut oil--followed by a plastic conditioner cap, then a satin cap.

If I were you, I'd keep the creamy leave-in and EVOO and skip the gel. The gel may be contributing to your dryness. However, if you're using it to enhance your curl pattern, I would add more moisture, perhaps a glycerin based product, like S-Curl or Carefree Gold. There are several out there.

Try looking for some recipes of moisture-based spritzes that you can seal with an oil to trap the moisture. A lot of people find that shea butter works "miracles" for dryness and even a whipped shealoe concoction.

I hope that helps you at least get a start! Hang in there!

Karameldiva's advice is on point! I was thinking we just have to water our plants and watch them grow, not too too much we can due at such short lengths, you are FINE!!!

I use only 2 products. Qhemets Burdock Root Cream and seal with their Honey Balm. You should try it if you haven't. You'll love it! :yep:

I would like to join. I've been natural my whole life but recently bc'd on the 21 of June because I needed to have a craniotomy.

My hair was about apl before but not in the best condition (split ends). Now that I have a clean slate I want my hair to be as healthy as possible.

My regimen:

CoWash/Wet daily
Shampoo weekly
Deep Condition weekly
Light Protein Weekly
Apply Moisturizer/Seal 2x day
Sleep with satin scarf

Oh Yeah, I think i'm 3c maybe 4a.

The first picture is my hair straightened. 2nd is after the surgery but before the shave. 3rd texture shot. The last is the bc.

Attachments

• rsz_1cimg9838.jpg
    rsz_1cimg9838.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 51
  • rsz_cimg9829.jpg
    rsz_cimg9829.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 52
  • rsz_cimg9843.jpg
    rsz_cimg9843.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My regimen is as follows:

~Cowash every other day
~Kpak treatment monthly
~I wash with a nonsulfate/paraban shampoo every two weeks
~Moisturize everyday
~Sleep with a satin bonnet and pillowcase

Im anxious to retain every millimeter of growth...Im getting married next year late August. I need to start protective styling my hair. I am a mix of 3c/4a...Im thinking mostly 4a. I hope to learn many great things from you ladies. This is definitly a journey for all of us, and I can't wait until we all reach our goals in 2013! HHG!

I would like to join. I've been natural my whole life but recently bc'd on the 21 of June because I needed to have a craniotomy.

My hair was about apl before but not in the best condition (split ends). Now that I have a clean slate I want my hair to be as healthy as possible.

My regimen:

CoWash/Wet daily
Shampoo weekly
Deep Condition weekly
Light Protein Weekly
Sleep with satin scarf

The first picture is my hair straightened. 2nd is after the surgery but before the shave. 3rd texture shot. The last is the bc.

I just hope that all is well with you now and welcome!
You look like a 3c for sure.

My regimen:

CoWash/Wet daily
Shampoo weekly
Deep Condition weekly
Light Protein Weekly
Sleep with satin scarf

I pray that all is well now.

I am just beginning my journey so I am still trying to figure out my regimen and products. I've been "natural" in terms of no chemicals for years but have been heavily dependent (actually addicted) to my blowdryer and flat irons. I am just now embracing my natural texture so I can grow out healthy hair. Here are some things I am doing:

No direct heat!- I am in the Summer 2010 no heat & wet-bunning challenges. I have been wet-bunning most days under a phony pony.

Vitamins- Andrew Lessman Essential 1 (multi) and his Hair Skin & Nails which gives me 3700mcg biotin, 800 mg MSM & 10mg silicon

Product lines I like-- WEN, Jane Carter, Carol's Daughter, Kinky Curly, Aphogee, Aubrey Organics & Nexxus

Scalp Messages 3-5X/week with oil-- EVCO, Argan Oil and just recently brahmi/amla and bhring-raj oils

Deep conditioning at least 1x/week

Sleeping with a silk scarf on a satin pillowcase

Recently bought a Shikakai shampoo bar & some Indian powders but have not worked them into my routine yet (suggestions would be welcome).

Back