For those wanting long hair...

Well...what I WAS doing that worked for me before I got sick and energiless and unable to do anything to my hair...was protective styling (twists & braids), using hydrolyzed keratin, frequent dc'ing (usually twice a week or so) minimal manipulation and keeping my ends tucked away.

In the past few months my hair has suffered a lot because of how I've been feeling. Ive gained some energy back recently and things are looking up, so I've got some mending and super care to do in order to get my hair back to goodness.

My hair's been dry as heck, tangled to high heavens...just a messssssssss. I started back on my regimen last night and ill twist my hair this weekend.
youwillrise

I hope you're back on the road to feeling better.

What did you end up doing to your hair this weekend?

First off, Allandra Your pony tail reminds me of the reason why I joined LHCF. WOW!

Secondly, I updated my regimen which consists of co-washing now! I tried it once last week and I think I'm sold. I'm planning on co-washing once every week for 2 weeks and then shampooing every third week. I don't know if this is a good idea yet, but it's just a plan for now. I may end up alternating every week (cowash/shampoo) depending on how my hair feels. I also plan on doing a light protein treatment on the days that I shampoo. What do you think? Right now I'm wearing buns and moisturizing every 2 days or so.

Allandra if you were to make a leave in product what ingredients would it include?
gn1g

I have no idea because I have a couple of leave in conditioners in my hair care product stash that I really like (Giovanni Direct Leave In and Kinky Curly Knot Today).

First off, @Allandra Your pony tail reminds me of the reason why I joined LHCF. WOW!

Secondly, I updated my regimen which consists of co-washing now! I tried it once last week and I think I'm sold. I'm planning on co-washing once every week for 2 weeks and then shampooing every third week. I don't know if this is a good idea yet, but it's just a plan for now. I may end up alternating every week (cowash/shampoo) depending on how my hair feels. I also plan on doing a light protein treatment on the days that I shampoo. What do you think? Right now I'm wearing buns and moisturizing every 2 days or so.
simplyevanescent

Thanks. :)

Put your plan in motion and see how it works out for your hair. Consistency and keeping it simple is always awesome to me.

After getting my hair done on Saturday, I asked my stylist to put it in a high ponytail (pic in siggy). Once I got home, I put a little argan oil on the length, and I coiled it into a bun. I haven't touched it yet. :giggle: I will have to redo it before I go to work tomorrow though. I always say: if it's not bothering me, I'm not gonna bother it. :yep:

I'm under a weave now. I take HSN from Walmart and MSM 200mg, and I use a sulfar/potion mix. I don't know If I'm doing too much. But I really want my hair to grow long. June this year will make it 4 years since my last relaxer and I'm not even full BSL :(

Me too Allandra! I can visualize you slinging it to and fro. lol
Garner

I wore the ponytail down while driving home from the salon. Once I got in the house, I coiled it into a bun. When people see long ponytails, the first thing they wanna do it touch it. I know better than to wear it like that out in public (unless I'm with my guy, then I won't have to worry about anyone running up on me). :giggle:

@Garner

I wore the ponytail down while driving home from the salon. Once I got in the house, I coiled it into a bun. When people see long ponytails, the first thing they wanna do it touch it. I know better than to wear it like that out in public (unless I'm with my guy, then I won't have to worry about anyone running up on me). :giggle:

YES!!! co-sign this happened to me yesterday. i went to work and forgot to twist my ponytail up (which i normally do in the parking lot before i go inside) first thing one of the executives walks up and grabs my hair!......:arguing: i turned to her and said "don't pet me. i bite."

YES!!! co-sign this happened to me yesterday. i went to work and forgot to twist my ponytail up (which i normally do in the parking lot before i go inside) first thing one of the executives walks up and grabs my hair!......:arguing: i turned to her and said "don't pet me. i bite."
havilland

Your post had me :lachen:I'm filing that one away for future use (if need be). :giggle:

Your ponytail looks gorgeous. I see you go to Reneice. I went to her for an install once. She is great! Have you always had hair like that or is this some of Renieces magic :-). I want to go natural I am 17 weeks post. There is breakage going on but prior to, there was breakage too. So just afraid I am making one big mess. My hair is thin 4a just at APL but with the crazy thin ends and see thru hair it probably should be back to shoulder length. So do you have tips for how you transitioned to natural? TIA!!

Your ponytail looks gorgeous. I see you go to Reneice. I went to her for an install once. She is great! Have you always had hair like that or is this some of Renieces magic :-). I want to go natural I am 17 weeks post. There is breakage going on but prior to, there was breakage too. So just afraid I am making one big mess. My hair is thin 4a just at APL but with the crazy thin ends and see thru hair it probably should be back to shoulder length. So do you have tips for how you transitioned to natural? TIA!!

Allandra -- i wanna know too ^^^^^^

Garner

I know that's right lol

@Shelew

Thanks. My hair was already long when I started going to Reniece (let me find out y'all are not paying attention to my posts or pics as long as I've been on the LHCF :giggle: ). I posted a lot throughout this thread on my transition. HTH.

Maybe the bolded could be a good reason to give natural hair a go (just my opinion).

Last edited:
Thanks. My hair was already long when I started going to Reniece (let me find out y'all are not paying attention to my posts or pics as long as I've been on the LHCF :giggle: ). I posted a lot throughout this thread on my transition. HTH.

Maybe the bolded could be a good reason to give natural hair a go (just my opinion).

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks Allandra! I am busted I will go back through and read. I was just in awe of that ponytail and had to find out more lol! Yes I had never really saw my new growth this long because I never went without a relaxer this long. It is not that horrible as the picture I painted in my head. Those thin ends is exactly why I am going to try and go natural. Off to read the thread, thanks again!

I know this thread is long, but a lot of the members here have provided a lot of good info. :)

I know they are because I would not have gone back to read about the clarifying and chelating because it was something that I read but didn't remember it. Once you said something to me about the sulfate free shampoo.

When I say that it has made a big difference on my hair I mean I really really so glad that you talk to me about this because I now see that just conditioner on my hair is not really going to work for me if I am going to use cones on it. When I say my hair was like cotton once I clarified and mind you I was clarifying but I never chelate. I did that and deep condition wow and I was mad once I co washed today with tresemme and my hair just felt coated right away but I co washed with oranix first and I was like oh this is not for co washing but my hair was still feeling great but I could not detangle with it so I put the tresemme on it and I am telling you I could see what every one is talking about now.

Just when you think you know it all about your hair. lol I leaned something lol

I also didn't add that I was going to do more than one day hair for now on.

Last edited:
Shelew not trying to deter you from going natural, but your thin ends may be because of your shrinkage at your roots if you are 17 Weeks post. :yep: that is unless your ends are always thin. Hth!

Great thread you ladies are inspirational I was very close to giving up having bounce back and fourth for years achieving length only to have severe breakage back to neck length before I could even enjoy it... This time I'm no longer gonna use weaves for protective styles I'm wearing my hair now clip in extensions on occasions and praying for progress.

Shelew not trying to deter you from going natural, but your thin ends may be because of your shrinkage at your roots if you are 17 Weeks post. :yep: that is unless your ends are always thin. Hth!

Thanks gabulldawg! But unfortunately my ends are always thin. I started out saying I was going to stretch to gain thickness and give my hair a break from relaxing but may as well just go natural. Hopefully I dont get natural and those ends are still thin! I am hoping there are tips out there to help ensure that does not happen.

I've been using shea moisture, cantu and coconut oil which is great for elasticity. My hair is just past BS length and the goal is waist length as long as its healthy. I haven't used any heat in about a year so its all natural now and growing nicely. I also DC once a week religiously with a heat cap. I also go for low manipulation with a bun i usually keep in my hair with a little banana clip.. stretchies are no bueno! Do you guys trim your own ends?

Attachments

• car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 47
I've been using shea moisture, cantu and coconut oil which is great for elasticity. My hair is just past BS length and the goal is waist length as long as its healthy. I haven't used any heat in about a year so its all natural now and growing nicely. I also DC once a week religiously with a heat cap. I also go for low manipulation with a bun i usually keep in my hair with a little banana clip.. stretchies are no bueno! Do you guys trim your own ends?

I do for the most part; never more than 1/4" at a time and in tiny sections of my hair soaked with conditioner (makes it easier to detangle and control since I don't straighten my hair).

Nice and simple regimen, love it. No, I don't trim my own hair.

i trim my ends regularly and also have them professionally done. i trust my stylist. she knows how to DUST and is not scissor happy at all.:grin:

Back