For those wanting long hair...

LexaKing...okay...it may be your porosity. Have you ever heard of Roux Porosity Control conditioner? I haven't used it since i went natural...but it did help a bit with helping me retain moisture better when i was relaxed. I think i only used it once or twice tho.

SmilingElephant said:
LexaKing...okay...it may be your porosity. Have you ever heard of Roux Porosity Control conditioner? I haven't used it since i went natural...but it did help a bit with helping me retain moisture better when i was relaxed. I think i only used it once or twice tho.

SmilingElephant
I have heard of it, but have never tried any porosity control conditioner. You don't think over night DC or bagging would help? Hmmm... Maybe I should do a strand in water test to check my porosity....

Last edited:
Hello,

I am new here and i was wondering if you can please help me out. i have almost shoulder length hair but it has become so thin due to shedding and all you can see is strands of hair.Youcan probably literally count the strands of hair. I just bought the whole aphogee products line due to reviews that ive seen online. i havent tried them out yet. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me out. My hair was growing nice then all of a sudden has been shedding extremely for the last 2 months and is now very very very thin. i would truly be greatful. i do have relaxed hair.
dreve

Tell us about your hair care regimen and what products you're using.

Has anything in your life changed in the last two months (stress, work, new baby, etc)?

Still lurking around this thread.. I'm noticing mid-shaft splits and I'm not 100% sure why. I think I do need to add a shot of protein to my regimen, even though I'm natural. And I think I want to start flat ironing once a month, mainly to be able to examine my hair well. I still haven't found the "perfect" moisturizer or DC. I think that the Curls' Coconut Coolada is going to be my staple leave in. It gives me mad slip and softness and makes detangling so easy. I'm kinda just rambling.. :giggle:

Allandra, I haven't had a change in my life. I have been preparing for my mcats which I've been studying for a while since last yr so I don't think that's it. I don't really have a hair care regimen. Before it started to shed, I washed my hair with any shampoo found in the house then i'ld use Sebastian penetraitt repair masque once a month. My hair did grow thicker with the repair masque then it all of a sudden shed. My hair typically has the cycle of growing thick then shedding till it becomes really thin. But about 2 days ago I bought the aphogee 2-step protein treatment, Moisturizing conditioner, the keratin reconstructor, and the pro-vitamin leave-in. Ive been debating if I should buy the keratin green tea product. I will be using the aphogee line of products this weekend so I hope it helps. I usually roller-set my hair every 1-2 weeks since I've realized that braiding doesn't help. I'll try to post a pic so that u can see how it looks. Thanks for the help

^^^ Clearly not an expert, but curious. What's your relaxer regimen (i.e. type of relaxer, how often you touch up, process used)? Just curious if it's related.

@Allandra, I haven't had a change in my life. I have been preparing for my mcats which I've been studying for a while since last yr so I don't think that's it. I don't really have a hair care regimen. Before it started to shed, I washed my hair with any shampoo found in the house then i'ld use Sebastian penetraitt repair masque once a month. My hair did grow thicker with the repair masque then it all of a sudden shed. My hair typically has the cycle of growing thick then shedding till it becomes really thin. But about 2 days ago I bought the aphogee 2-step protein treatment, Moisturizing conditioner, the keratin reconstructor, and the pro-vitamin leave-in. Ive been debating if I should buy the keratin green tea product. I will be using the aphogee line of products this weekend so I hope it helps. I usually roller-set my hair every 1-2 weeks since I've realized that braiding doesn't help. I'll try to post a pic so that u can see how it looks. Thanks for the help
dreve

How long has the bolded above been going on? There has to be some reason for this (we just need to figure it out).

I've never used any of the products from the Aphogee line, but some of the members on this forum have.

Since you don't have a hair care regimen, it's probably a good time to put together one. I believe in less is more (aka keeping it simple).

Yeah! Try an overnight DC. But go ahead and try the strand test too:yep: And see if your hair is porous.

Ok I deep conditioned overnight and its just seemed like the conditioner didnt penetrate. My hair was smoother but it didnt seem any more moisturized the if I condition for only 15 mins. The strand test was confusing because some of my hair strand sank to the middle (not bottom) and some floated... :perplexed

I have just recently moved to a place that has hard water so that may explain whats going on with my hair... The products I was using before that always worked amazing on my hair don't have the same effect at the moment.

Should I try using heat to get the moisture to penetrate? Like I said in my post earlier, when i moisturize and seal my hair feels GREAT, but if I miss a day its noticeably dryer... Or maybe I need a better conditioner?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks for taking time to read this....:yep:

Allandra, this started in January. I usually pin up my hair to go to sleep and one day I just woke up touched the end of my hair and lots of hair started to fall out. It keep falling out till deb then it stopped a little bit. Now when I pull on it , it doesn't fall out but when I comb it , it sheds a lot and with breakage.

:perplexed......I honestly don't know where to start.(MAJOR NEWBIE! 1st post)

Well....as of February of this year I made my FINAL decision to transition to natural (tried twice already). However, I decided to do it on my terms. I've found that in the 2 years I've been on my healthy hair journey that doing what works for others NEVER works for me (hence the setbacks I've suffered). I've found that its easier for me to maintain and retain my length when my hair is straight versus its kinkier state. So my regimen is pretty much centered around mastering my heat usage and PS.

Weekly Regimen:

1. Prepoo w/ ceramide oil, preferably hempseed oil.
2. Shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo
3. Moisturizing DC with steam (I do a reconstructive treatment bi-weekly prior to this step under a soft bonnet dryer.)
4. Apply leave in's
5. Air dry to 50-90%, blow dry my hair completely dry using the tension method.
6. Flat Iron

My wash day are generally always friday, but sometimes it extends to saturday. Why you ask? Because I am extremely lazy:ohwell:

I usually wear my hair on the weekends and bun throughout the week. I alter the position of my bun daily to avoid breakage in my already weak nape. I do suffer with mild breakage when M&S, I try to take it as normal, but I'm completely aware that it might not be. If I could get some feedback as of why I would greatly appreciate it. :drunk:

Last edited:
:perplexed......I honestly don't know where to start.(MAJOR NEWBIE! 1st post)

Well....as of February of this year I made my FINAL decision to transition to natural (tried twice already). However, I decided to do it on my terms. I've found that in the 2 years I've been on my healthy hair journey that doing what works for others NEVER works for me (hence the setbacks I've suffered). I've found that its easier for me to maintain and retain my length when my hair is straight versus its kinkier state. So my regimen is pretty much centered around mastering my heat usage and PS.

Weekly Regimen:

1. Prepoo w/ ceramide oil, preferably hempseed oil.
2. Shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo
3. Moisturizing DC with steam (I do a reconstructive treatment bi-weekly prior to this step under a soft bonnet dryer.)
4. Apply leave in's
5. Air dry to 50-90%, blow dry my hair completely dry using the tension method.
6. Flat Iron

My wash day are generally always friday, but sometimes it extends to saturday. Why you ask? Because I am extremely lazy:ohwell:

I usually wear my hair on the weekends and bun throughout the week. I alter the position of my bun daily to avoid breakage in my already weak nape. I do suffer with mild breakage when M&S, I try to take it as normal, but I'm completely aware that it might not be. If I could get some feedback as of why I would greatly appreciate it. :drunk:
MiaTHall229

You should always do what works for you (you will hear this a lot on this forum, because we know what works for one doesn't work for everyone). :)

Your regimen sounds good.

When I transitioned from relaxed to natural, I wore my hair straight a majority of the time. My transition was a lot of fun.

Please keep us posted on your transition.

@MiaTHall229

You should always do what works for you (you will hear this a lot on this forum, because we know what works for one doesn't work for everyone). :)

Your regimen sounds good.

When I transitioned from relaxed to natural, I wore my hair straight a majority of the time. My transition was a lot of fun.

Please keep us posted on your transition.

Thanks and I surely will. After seeing a full head of beautiful pressed natural hair in your siggy, IM 'NATURALLY' SOLD! :grin:

dreve said:
newnyer, I use profectiv relaxer and sometimes olive oil. I perm my hair every 6-8 weeks.

When applying your relaxer are you being careful not to overlap? Overlapping can cause excessive breakage & shedding. It may be causing your hair to be brittle and/or weak. That's the main reason I decided to start stretching my normal 7-8 weeks routine to 12...maybe more once I get the hang of it. I want my stylist to be able to work with more than an inch of ng so there won't be any guessing. Lol Also good protein DC right after touch ups are usually a great idea.

All of these long haired ladies have some excellent recs. I'd also peruse the relaxed hair thread to see if you can pick up some tips/tricks. No point in taking great care of your hair in between relaxers only to set yourself back every touch up.

i think keeping it simple works best for me
-deep condition once a week
-cowash maybe once a week
-shampoo once a week if i need it
-apply a moisturizer and coconut oil
-bun

i bun almost everyday, partly because its easier and also because I'm protective styling. I'm still having a problem with heat though, i straighten my hair probably once every 2 months and that still too much for my super fine hair.
i wash and go maybe once a month. mostly only on weekends that i don't have to work.
i trim when i feel like i need it. mostly do search and destroys though
and thats about it!

i think keeping it simple works best for me
-deep condition once a week
-cowash maybe once a week
-shampoo once a week if i need it
-apply a moisturizer and coconut oil
-bun

i bun almost everyday, partly because its easier and also because I'm protective styling. I'm still having a problem with heat though, i straighten my hair probably once every 2 months and that still too much for my super fine hair.
i wash and go maybe once a month. mostly only on weekends that i don't have to work.
i trim when i feel like i need it. mostly do search and destroys though
and thats about it!
celiabug

You have a great regimen, and keeping it simple is so good. Are you going to cut back on heat a little more? What type of problems is it causing you?

Allandra I am really trying to make sure that I get this sulfate free shampoo right and I thought I really found one because it stated it on the back of the bottle.

I just purchased Ogranix Macadamia Oil sulfate free shampoo. Can you please tell me if is indeed one????

Ok I deep conditioned overnight and its just seemed like the conditioner didnt penetrate. My hair was smoother but it didnt seem any more moisturized the if I condition for only 15 mins. The strand test was confusing because some of my hair strand sank to the middle (not bottom) and some floated... :perplexed

I have just recently moved to a place that has hard water so that may explain whats going on with my hair... The products I was using before that always worked amazing on my hair don't have the same effect at the moment.

Should I try using heat to get the moisture to penetrate? Like I said in my post earlier, when i moisturize and seal my hair feels GREAT, but if I miss a day its noticeably dryer... Or maybe I need a better conditioner?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks for taking time to read this....:yep:

You might need to clarify/chelate. And also consider a water filter. It could be that the salts in the hard water have deposited on you hair, making it harder for the moisture to penetrate. A shower filter made a world of difference for me.

so this is crazy. I need help. I want a nice creamy sulfate free shampoo and I thought I read on here that Organix was sulfate free.

Help me please!!!!!

Well...what I WAS doing that worked for me before I got sick and energiless and unable to do anything to my hair...was protective styling (twists & braids), using hydrolyzed keratin, frequent dc'ing (usually twice a week or so) minimal manipulation and keeping my ends tucked away.

In the past few months my hair has suffered a lot because of how I've been feeling. Ive gained some energy back recently and things are looking up, so I've got some mending and super care to do in order to get my hair back to goodness.

My hair's been dry as heck, tangled to high heavens...just a messssssssss. I started back on my regimen last night and ill twist my hair this weekend.

so this is crazy. I need help. I want a nice creamy sulfate free shampoo and I thought I read on here that Organix was sulfate free.

Help me please!!!!!

i like shea moisture moisture retention shampoo.
It's creamy and sulfate free.
: )

Im trying to get back to apl.. I have gotten lazy and it shows. Im focusing on dcs moisture and sealin the ends. Investigating a good vitamin..my hair and nails need it!

I am really hoping that I feel good enough to do my chelating and deep conditioning when I get home from the hospital but blood pressure is up now and migraine. UH!!

Back