For those wanting long hair...

I have been following this thread for a while but never posted. Allandra, your hair is an inspiration. When I joined this forum, you were going through your transition and I love the fact that you straighten your hair regularly without any adverse effects.

For me, I have decided to remove cones from my regimen and I'm now in the process of finding conditioners that will work for me. My goal is to reach BSL by the end of the year. I'm at APL right now.

This year I am trying to grow my hair longer than it grew last year. One tiny piece got to grazing BSB. But most of it was full shoulder length. I cut out many of the layers, so that I could really grow long thick hair. My hair started the year at full neck length and is back to shoulder length. Really looking forward to thicker longer hair. Just got to get a good plan together.

Recently was inspired by Cibrianna's detangling video to try dry finger detangling. I lost a lot of hair to breakage with that. Guess, I do not know how to properly dry finger detangle. So I gotta take it as a lesson learned and keep pressing on.

ETA: I tried to reduce trimming my ends to every three months; got a lot of double and triple knots out of that experiment. These knots would catch in my comb and cause breakage. Just did a good haircut and my manipulation induced breakage ended. I know I got some splits from the knots breaking off too. Still managed to retain shoulder length hair, so I am pressing forward. Trying to figure out how long I can stretch without a trim.

Last edited:
I have been following this thread for a while but never posted. @Allandra, your hair is an inspiration. When I joined this forum, you were going through your transition and I love the fact that you straighten your hair regularly without any adverse effects.

For me, I have decided to remove cones from my regimen and I'm now in the process of finding conditioners that will work for me. My goal is to reach BSL by the end of the year. I'm at APL right now.
jerseygurl

Aww thanks girlie.

I've also removed cones from my regimen too, and my hair is still thriving. I still have cones in my hair care product stash, so I'll probably end up using them again some time down the road. Who know...

I'm glad you decided to join in on the thread. Please keep us posted on your hair growth.

End of the month will be 2 months since I joined this thread and Im thinking of taking a progress pic.. Im excited coz my retention has been the best since I started my HHJ.
on a different note i have not been using my sulfur mix 3 times a week as I had mentioned coz it just made me manipulate my hair. I kinda always wanted to apply it which meant undoing my french braids etc.. Im applying it once a week - that is after poo and Dcing..

Right now, I am stopping the washing in the shower..not working. So I will start doing HOTs weekly as a prepoo, twist my hair, co-wash, DC, then shampoo once each month and DC. I will use a moisturizing DC three times a month and a protein once a month (AO GPB).

Currently, the back of my hair is breaking pretty bad. I'm doing a lot of trial and error with my leave in mist. It was a little see-through back there, so I trimmed today pretty well. I will probably twist my hair weekly and reduce the time I spend doing wash and go's. At least until my hair grows into a shape that I want...it is currently looking like a mullet.
Arian

What was your issue with washing your hair in the shower? I know it doesn't work for everyone. The last time I washed my hair (myself) outside of the shower was YEARS ago (when my hair was much shorter - plus it just kills my back).

This year I am trying to grow my hair longer than it grew last year. One tiny piece got to grazing BSB. But most of it was full shoulder length. I cut out many of the layers, so that I could really grow long thick hair. My hair started the year at full neck length and is back to shoulder length. Really looking forward to thicker longer hair. Just got to get a good plan together.

Recently was inspired by Cibrianna's detangling video to try dry finger detangling. I lost a lot of hair to breakage with that. Guess, I do not know how to properly dry finger detangle. So I gotta take it as a lesson learned and keep pressing on.

ETA: I tried to reduce trimming my ends to every three months; got a lot of double and triple knots out of that experiment. These knots would catch in my comb and cause breakage. Just did a good haircut and my manipulation induced breakage ended. I know I got some splits from the knots breaking off too. Still managed to retain shoulder length hair, so I am pressing forward. Trying to figure out how long I can stretch without a trim.
Seamonster

Did you find out why your hair was breaking? I don't care for finger detangling although I know a lot of people do (I just find it easier with a wide tooth comb).

End of the month will be 2 months since I joined this thread and Im thinking of taking a progress pic.. Im excited coz my retention has been the best since I started my HHJ.
on a different note i have not been using my sulfur mix 3 times a week as I had mentioned coz it just made me manipulate my hair. I kinda always wanted to apply it which meant undoing my french braids etc.. Im applying it once a week - that is after poo and Dcing..
Rossy2010

It's so nice to hear about your retention. Keep up the great work! :up:

@Allandra,

I would get more tangles and SSKs when I wash in the shower + shampoo residue would cause female issues for me. Today, though, I detangled with oil on damp hair, sectioned my hair, and poured diluted shampoo over my head. I could see the dirt running off my hair. I didn't think the diluted shampoo could get my hair so clean. Afterwards, very little tangling. I think this will be my route from now on.

I am still experiencing some breakage though. So I DC'd with Joico KPAK Intense Hydrator since it has both protein and moisturizing ingredients, and I am not too sure what is causing the moderate breakage I am experiencing. I will continue to use it until I use it up.

@Allandra,

I would get more tangles and SSKs when I wash in the shower + shampoo residue would cause female issues for me. Today, though, I detangled with oil on damp hair, sectioned my hair, and poured diluted shampoo over my head. I could see the dirt running off my hair. I didn't think the diluted shampoo could get my hair so clean. Afterwards, very little tangling. I think this will be my route from now on.

I am still experiencing some breakage though. So I DC'd with Joico KPAK Intense Hydrator since it has both protein and moisturizing ingredients, and I am not too sure what is causing the moderate breakage I am experiencing. I will continue to use it until I use it up.

diluted shampoo is def a great route. shampoo has soooooooooo much detergent in it that it can be diluted with no problem and still get your hair really clean. glad you discovered that. it will save you lots of stress.:yep:

Allandra

Lord, I have been working on the breakage. Seems to have stopped, but I am not sure why? I thought I knew; then I forgot. I am going to have to start keeping a hair journal so I can be aware of these things. Maybe it will come to me.

Wow! This thread is sooooo long. For me, things have not changed much since I last posted. Sticking with what I know. I have been laying off rollersetting for awhile and just cowashing and mostly bunning.

I think my hair is inching along. I feel so close to APL but so far away. I've been straightening once a month but I'm thinking of skipping my April length check and wait till the end of May. Hopefully that'll keep me from going crazy. I've also been keeping my hair in cornrows(without extentions) for 2-3 weeks at a time. Finally since I've learned how the desert sun is just plain disrespectful to my hair I've been wrapping my hair in a scarf everyday after wetting it down in the shower and moisturizing with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment mask. Surprisingly enough I haven't had to do the seal step since adopting this modification to my reggie. I think my GCC sistas have it right with the whole covering thing.

I'm new member and first want to say to all "your hair is gorgegous!!!" Allandra question, when you do a "dusting" of your hair how much do you cut off as opposed to a "trim". I just had my dad cut my hair and I was inching toward BSL - I told him I just wanted a "dusting" - thought he would know since he was a barber! I'm now straight APL.

I'm new member and first want to say to all "your hair is gorgegous!!!" Allandra question, when you do a "dusting" of your hair how much do you cut off as opposed to a "trim". I just had my dad cut my hair and I was inching toward BSL - I told him I just wanted a "dusting" - thought he would know since he was a barber! I'm now straight APL.
@ deedoswell :wave:

Welcome to the forum.

I've never done any of my own dustings. My hair stylist does them for me. Each time she does them, she always shows me how much hair she dusted, and it's barely anything at all (she always says my ends are fine and that there's not much to dust). So, I would say barely a smidge.

Allandra I have been doing what you ask me to do and I am dying to put the silicone back in my hair. It is so tangle and dry in the back no matter what I use on my hair. Please help me because I have use the pre poo I have use moisturizer before bed and oils. I wake up with a tangle mess and I use the pineapple and sleeping cap for bed.

@Allandra I have been doing what you ask me to do and I am dying to put the silicone back in my hair. It is so tangle and dry in the back no matter what I use on my hair. Please help me because I have use the pre poo I have use moisturizer before bed and oils. I wake up with a tangle mess and I use the pineapple and sleeping cap for bed.
@Shadiyah

I tell everyone to do what works best for them and their hair.

What has been causing you tangles and dry hair?

@ deedoswell :wave:

Welcome to the forum.

I've never done any of my own dustings. My hair stylist does them for me. Each time she does them, she always shows me how much hair she dusted, and it's barely anything at all (she always says my ends are fine and that there's not much to dust). So, I would say barely a smidge.

Yeah that's what I thought a dusting should be - just a smidge. Ooook so apparently he gave me a trim! :lol: It needed it anyway.

@ Allandra
Since joining I have read this entire post and want to thank you for all of your advice! I tried the Aubrey Organics GPB shampoo (it's at home can't remember name exactly) that you mentioned in one of the threads. I loved it. I thought I was buying the conditioner (rush ordering while at work and not reading); but want to tell you I loved it. Hopefully it will help with my hair shedding issue.

@ Allandra
Since joining I have read this entire post and want to thank you for all of your advice! I tried the Aubrey Organics GPB shampoo (it's at home can't remember name exactly) that you mentioned in one of the threads. I loved it. I thought I was buying the conditioner (rush ordering while at work and not reading); but want to tell you I loved it. Hopefully it will help with my hair shedding issue.
deedoswell

Thanks for letting us know about the shampoo. I've never tried it. I've been in love with the conditioner since 1999 / 2000. It's awesome. Please share your thoughts on the conditioner once you've tried it.

:)

Hello, I have been following this thread for a while but never posted. You ladies have beautiful hair and your regimes seem very promising.

I PS 80-90% of the time by wearing wigs, my hair is in four flat twists underneath and I redo my twists, spritz with water/conditioner mix sealed with some type of hair pomade/grease every few days. I baggy every night and when I don't have anywhere to go I wear the baggy/scarf all day. I flat iron maybe once or twice a month but I want to eliminate heat and wear more twistouts when I'm not wearing wigs.

HHG everyone :)

Hello, I have been following this thread for a while but never posted. You ladies have beautiful hair and your regimes seem very promising.

I PS 80-90% of the time by wearing wigs, my hair is in four flat twists underneath and I redo my twists, spritz with water/conditioner mix sealed with some type of hair pomade/grease every few days. I baggy every night and when I don't have anywhere to go I wear the baggy/scarf all day. I flat iron maybe once or twice a month but I want to eliminate heat and wear more twistouts when I'm not wearing wigs.

HHG everyone :)
IMFOCSD

I'm glad you came on in and posted. :) Your regimen sounds good. I love protect styling. What are your hair length goals? What's your current hair length?

IMFOCSD

I'm glad you came on in and posted. :) Your regimen sounds good. I love protect styling. What are your hair length goals? What's your current hair length?

My length now is APL. I realized that for me its best to set and focus on short term goals which would be BSB. My final goal will be WL but thats a long time from now lol.

@ Allandra

question, I am APL, and not very creative on protective styles. Was wondering when your hair was shorter (APL) what types of protective styles did you wear to retain your length?

This has to be one of my fave threads on LHCF! It just feels like this is a solution thread. Not that other threads aren't cause I've received great info from other threads. But i just truly enjoy and appreciate the personalized feedback, Allandra thx so much for starting this thread. And thx to the other ladies with all the helpful suggestions and great regimens. I'm hoping you guys could tell me if I'm on the right track. I've been transitioning for 8mths, I just had a mini chop and will get the last inch off in June ;) I was SL before the trim idk now. I would be so happy if I could get APL by December. When I was relaxed I was btwn APL and BSL. I know it's doable as a natural. My final goal was MBL but seeing all the beautiful hair is making me think of WL lol.

My regimen with braids:
I PS with braids. Considering my first sew in maybe. (I had individuals from Jan-Mar) now I have box braids. (Apr-Jun) I wash my hair with diluted shampoo. I'll go back to GHE nightly. ( I saw it asked not sure if it was answered but GHE is greenhouse effect. Pretty much baggying with oils). My oil blend is: olive oil, vitamin e oil, joboba oil, coconut oil lol I'm trying to use Naptural85's mix I need more though.
Start back on biotin, just started MSM today.

W/o braids:
Weekly Shampoo or cowash with shea moisture products
Two strand twists, apply leave in, my oil blend, and perm rods. I can get away with 3rd day hair when I'm lazy if i'm not being lazy i do it 2x a week.
Too much? Too little?

So far I noticed that my hair feels moist and thick even though my hair was always thick. But perms and Dominican blow outs thinned it slightly. Even when I stretched perms I noticed my hair would thicken asap. I know it's growing but idk how fast I have to document better. Another concern is: my scalp is always itchy? Can my scalp be dry and my hair moisturized? Cause my scalp doesn't feel dry to me since I've been doing the GHE. But what else might cause my scalp to itch? And does it signify a problem or should I just suck it up since my hair appears to be growing?

Niknak20

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. :)

It sounds like you're doing well with your regimen, and you aren't experiencing any breakage, so that's a good thing.

Maybe some of the members that do two strand twists can chime in about that question.

I take efas (have been taking them for years), and this seems to be keeping my scalp in check. Not sure why your scalp is so itchy. Are you experiencing any product build up on your scalp? Is this all the time, when you have braids, when you don't have braids or what? Hopefully you aren't allergic to anything you're using on your hair / scalp.

This has to be one of my fave threads on LHCF! It just feels like this is a solution thread. Not that other threads aren't cause I've received great info from other threads. But i just truly enjoy and appreciate the personalized feedback, Allandra thx so much for starting this thread. And thx to the other ladies with all the helpful suggestions and great regimens. I'm hoping you guys could tell me if I'm on the right track. I've been transitioning for 8mths, I just had a mini chop and will get the last inch off in June ;) I was SL before the trim idk now. I would be so happy if I could get APL by December. When I was relaxed I was btwn APL and BSL. I know it's doable as a natural. My final goal was MBL but seeing all the beautiful hair is making me think of WL lol.

My regimen with braids:
I PS with braids. Considering my first sew in maybe. (I had individuals from Jan-Mar) now I have box braids. (Apr-Jun) I wash my hair with diluted shampoo. I'll go back to GHE nightly. ( I saw it asked not sure if it was answered but GHE is greenhouse effect. Pretty much baggying with oils). My oil blend is: olive oil, vitamin e oil, joboba oil, coconut oil lol I'm trying to use Naptural85's mix I need more though.
Start back on biotin, just started MSM today.

W/o braids:
Weekly Shampoo or cowash with shea moisture products
Two strand twists, apply leave in, my oil blend, and perm rods. I can get away with 3rd day hair when I'm lazy if i'm not being lazy i do it 2x a week.
Too much? Too little?

So far I noticed that my hair feels moist and thick even though my hair was always thick. But perms and Dominican blow outs thinned it slightly. Even when I stretched perms I noticed my hair would thicken asap. I know it's growing but idk how fast I have to document better. Another concern is: my scalp is always itchy? Can my scalp be dry and my hair moisturized? Cause my scalp doesn't feel dry to me since I've been doing the GHE. But what else might cause my scalp to itch? And does it signify a problem or should I just suck it up since my hair appears to be growing?

Back