For those wanting long hair...

Is there anything else I can do about my regiment to improve and acheive my goal?

@BlackHairDiva

I don't know anything about BKT. How is that working out for your hair? Are you only doing one protective style? Having a variety of protect styles is good so you don't place stress in the same areas of your hair / scalp.

What is your hair length and hair length goal?

Are you retaining length with your regimen?

I really think I have been touching the shampoo too much. I am use to co washing everyday or every other day. No shampoo for at least every 2 weeks and now I have been grabbing it some times twice in a week.

BKT is the best I ever did to my hair. Its been a blessing so far. I use a lot less heat than I ever did before and most of all I do retain lenght. THe sides are APL (This is an all time record.)

The front is between collar bone and APL. The back is a little past BSL.

When I first starting lurking the forum back in 2004, my goal was to be APL all around. My current hair goal is MBL all around.I'm also focusing on moisture, texture and health. I'm happy with my thickness. I'm open to trying other oils. I love argan oil, but it lightens hair. I want to keep my hair jet black.:yep:

Protective styles...I don't have a variety of them. My hair is slicked back in a bun.. Pony tail not to tight, so the hair is slightly loose.
@BlackHairDiva

That's good that you are retaining length, so your regimen is working for you.

Having a variety of protective styles works well (so hair isn't stressed in the same place over and over).

I really think I have been touching the shampoo too much. I am use to co washing everyday or every other day. No shampoo for at least every 2 weeks and now I have been grabbing it some times twice in a week.
@Shadiyah

There's nothing wrong with skipping the shampoo at times. I even find myself skipping it sometimes (especially once I'm in the shower and realize I didn't place it in the shower with my other hair care items :giggle: ). I like shampoos that don't contain sulfates.

@Shadiyah

There's nothing wrong with skipping the shampoo at times. I even find myself skipping it sometimes (especially once I'm in the shower and realize I didn't place it in the shower with my other hair care items :giggle: ). I like shampoos that don't contain sulfates.

Allandra that is the thing I have not stop using sulfate free shampoo yet. Mixed Chicks now make one so I will be purchasing it to start that journey of sulfate free. But I still use cones.

I'm realizing that achieiving long (healthy) hair is more of a mindset for me.
I'm learning that I can't try ever product under the sun and I can't jump on every bandwagon. I have to keep it simple, find staple products and leave my hair alone.

I'm wiggin' it for the rest of this year.
Underneath my wig I wear twists. I also wash my hair in twists. This helps tremendously.

Current Regimen
I DC on dry hair. I use AO GPB every other week. Apply Nioxin to my scalp and either cw the rest of my hair or use Moisture retention shampoo. I apply my leave-in on top of my twists, unravel each one, lightly detangle, apply either Shea hemp growth butter or Crisco and re-twist. Simple!

Shampoo
I like Design Essentials moisture retention for my hair and Nioxin for my scalp. Both have sulfates. I will primarily condition wash from now on.

DC
Aubrey's HSR and GPB. These products allow me to take advantage of protein, moisture and ceramides. I'm no longer a fan of buying everything.

Leave-In
Tiiva Naturals or Kinky Curly Knot Today (Love Knot Today)

Twist my hair with
Tiiva Shea Hemp or Crisco.

@Allandra that is the thing I have not stop using sulfate free shampoo yet. Mixed Chicks now make one so I will be purchasing it to start that journey of sulfate free. But I still use cones.
Shadiyah

Girl, what on earth are you doing using shampoos with sulfates? I haven't used a shampoo with sulfates since goodness knows when. I enjoy sulfate free shampoos since they're so much more gentler on the hair, and they don't make the hair a tangled mess. Where are you using cones in your regimen? I still love cones, but it's been a while since I've used any (thanks to argan oil).

I'm realizing that achieiving long (healthy) hair is more of a mindset for me.
I'm learning that I can't try ever product under the sun and I can't jump on every bandwagon. I have to keep it simple, find staple products and leave my hair alone.

I'm wiggin' it for the rest of this year.
Underneath my wig I wear twists. I also wash my hair in twists. This helps tremendously.

Current Regimen
I DC on dry hair. I use AO GPB every other week. Apply Nioxin to my scalp and either cw the rest of my hair or use Moisture retention shampoo. I apply my leave-in on top of my twists, unravel each one, lightly detangle, apply either Shea hemp growth butter or Crisco and re-twist. Simple!

Shampoo
I like Design Essentials moisture retention for my hair and Nioxin for my scalp. Both have sulfates. I will primarily condition wash from now on.

DC
Aubrey's HSR and GPB. These products allow me to take advantage of protein, moisture and ceramides. I'm no longer a fan of buying everything.

Leave-In
Tiiva Naturals or Kinky Curly Knot Today (Love Knot Today)

Twist my hair with
Tiiva Shea Hemp or Crisco.
yodie

I really do think simple is best and using minimal products. Please keep us informed on how simple works for you. :up:

Shadiyah

Girl, what on earth are you doing using shampoos with sulfates? I haven't used a shampoo with sulfates since goodness knows when. I enjoy sulfate free shampoos since they're so much more gentler on the hair, and they don't make the hair a tangled mess. Where are you using cones in your regimen? I still love cones, but it's been a while since I've used any (thanks to argan oil).

Allandra oh before I forget I didn't mention the argan oil I got from a friend from Morocco and gave me some from her stash. she gets the oil that is done the old fashion way, you know with the animal and them pooping the nuts out lol.

Ok the sulfate shampoo... the only sulfate free shampoo I tried was kinky curly come clean and it made my hair so tangled. I could not stand it and my hair just felt so dry. I had to remember why I never switched over. now that mixed chicks has theirs out I will switch over to that one and it will fall right in line of what I use because I have it down right now as to what products I will use on my hair and not searching anymore. the only thing that I will change up is the oils I put on my hair for the night or deep conditioner. I will not use heat at all so no flat ironing my hair at all.

Hi Allandra

Thanks for this thread!

SO I have a question about tangles/matting. I'm a natural, about APL in some places, probably 4a

I dont use sulfate shampoos, I mostly use ayurvedic powders or shampoo bars.

How do you prevent your hair from matting? I didn't have this probalem with my transitioning hair, but my natural hairs just want to mate like bunny rabbits. So if I wear buns, I tend to get matted clumps. Should i try blowdrying? I tend to let my hair airdry (not loose though). Should I add more leave in conditioner after? I dont really comb after I wash, any detangling happens before.

Thanks!

Hi @Allandra

Thanks for this thread!

SO I have a question about tangles/matting. I'm a natural, about APL in some places, probably 4a

I dont use sulfate shampoos, I mostly use ayurvedic powders or shampoo bars.

How do you prevent your hair from matting? I didn't have this probalem with my transitioning hair, but my natural hairs just want to mate like bunny rabbits. So if I wear buns, I tend to get matted clumps. Should i try blowdrying? I tend to let my hair airdry (not loose though). Should I add more leave in conditioner after? I dont really comb after I wash, any detangling happens before.

Thanks!
ladysaraii

You're welcome.

I've never had my hair matt, but I always detangle my hair once it's coated in conditioner (from there I rinse out the conditioner, add my leave in and moisturizer and put in my protective style and air dry, not sure if you should blow dry or not). BTW, I don't use ayurvedic powders or shampoo bars, so I'm not familiar with those items.

When are you conditioning your hair? Can you detangle it while it's coated in conditioner?

@ladysaraii

You're welcome.

I've never had my hair matt, but I always detangle my hair once it's coated in conditioner (from there I rinse out the conditioner, add my leave in and moisturizer and put in my protective style and air dry, not sure if you should blow dry or not). BTW, I don't use ayurvedic powders or shampoo bars, so I'm not familiar with those items.

When are you conditioning your hair? Can you detangle it while it's coated in conditioner?

Thanks for responding.

I usually pre-poo with oil, shampoo (or wash with powders), then DC. I used to detangle it in the showerwith some cheapie conditoiner, but then I heard it wasnt a good idea to do that in that shower.

The tangling problems seem to start later, like once its dry, say if I put my hair in a bun, I'll notice it wants to mat or start tangling. This seems to happen no matter how tangled my hair is after I wash. Maybe I need to look into other ways to dry my hair to help keep the strands from separating.

Thanks for responding.

I usually pre-poo with oil, shampoo (or wash with powders), then DC. I used to detangle it in the showerwith some cheapie conditoiner, but then I heard it wasnt a good idea to do that in that shower.

The tangling problems seem to start later, like once its dry, say if I put my hair in a bun, I'll notice it wants to mat or start tangling. This seems to happen no matter how tangled my hair is after I wash. Maybe I need to look into other ways to dry my hair to help keep the strands from separating.
ladysaraii

(at the bolded) Was it working for you? I only detangle my hair in the shower because it works for me.

I know most people say they are bad for you but I always get great retention from micro braids and kinky twists. Right now I'm. Doing wigs and halfwigs but I have HIH syndrome really bad and the fact that wigs have to be removed doesn't help. So I'm thinking about sew ins or crochet braids just to change things up and keep my hands out of my hair. (My real hair at least).

I know I said that I was not trying to trim my hair this turn and I was calendar in for that trim last month and I have been doing everything I could to hold on to those ends.

late last night I trimmed my hair and my curls are so bouncy. I am really hope by the end of next month I get it back lol. I length check again in June and I am hopping no trim is needed. we will see.

Allandra I have been using your DC method for the past two Weeks/washes and I love it!! So convenient and effective! Thank you so much for your suggestion!

I did a ACV rinse and now sitting with my Moroccan Oil intense hydrating mask deep conditioner. I didn't want to take any chances on my curls for tomorrow lol.

Still babying those ends for growth retention. 3 years and counting will not get worried until 4 years if I am not at least MBL or more. I am hoping for WL but I will take MBL at that mile.

I started baggying my hair and it really makes a difference. I just sleep with a shower cap on my head with a scarf to tie it all down. I think I will do this 4 nights a week while baggying the ends on the alternate nights.

@Allandra I have been using your DC method for the past two Weeks/washes and I love it!! So convenient and effective! Thank you so much for your suggestion!
gabulldawg

Are you referring to dc on dry hair (which I actually got from the back of the Aubrey Organics GPB bottle) or dc in the shower with a plastic cap? Glad it's working for you.

@gabulldawg

Are you referring to dc on dry hair (which I actually got from the back of the Aubrey Organics GPB bottle) or dc in the shower with a plastic cap? Glad it's working for you.

I meant the dc in the shower. Can you elaborate on the dc on dry hair? Is that prior to washing? I used to do that, but don't do it consistently. I'm assuming you either do one or the other? Or do you do both? thanks again!

I decided to take down my twists before washing my hair. Ugh! Today was the first day that I wished I had a relaxer. Lol!

My ends are thicker than the rest of my hair. I noticed more curly end type of breakage as I tried to detangle the ends of my hair. Does this mean that my ends need to be trimmed? My ends were easier to comb after I put Crisco on them. I've been washing my hair in twists the last month, so maybe this is shed hair. Not sure. Any ideas? I usually undo each twist after I wash and detangle and I don't have as much breakage or shed hair as I did today when I washed my hair without twists.

I'm hiding my hair right now and I had alot of mid shaft splits before I went into hiding. Trying to cut it little by little, but I'm wondering if this is why my ends are uber thick.

I'm going back to washing in twists. Its just easier for me.

Any ideas?

I decided to take down my twists before washing my hair. Ugh! Today was the first day that I wished I had a relaxer. Lol!

My ends are thicker than the rest of my hair. I noticed more curly end type of breakage as I tried to detangle the ends of my hair. Does this mean that my ends need to be trimmed? My ends were easier to comb after I put Crisco on them. I've been washing my hair in twists the last month, so maybe this is shed hair. Not sure. Any ideas? I usually undo each twist after I wash and detangle and I don't have as much breakage or shed hair as I did today when I washed my hair without twists.

I'm hiding my hair right now and I had alot of mid shaft splits before I went into hiding. Trying to cut it little by little, but I'm wondering if this is why my ends are uber thick.

I'm going back to washing in twists. Its just easier for me.

Any ideas?
yodie

So, why did you wish you had a relaxer?

When were you trying to detangle the ends of your hair (hoping you didn't attempt this on dry / unstraightened hair)?

Why are you putting Crisco on your ends? I've never used Crisco on my hair (and I don't plan on it), but I thought the ladies were doing it to keep their straightened hair from reverting after flat ironing (unless I read / understood it wrong).

There's a difference in shed hair and breakage, which one are you experiencing? Shed hair will definitely accumulate when one doesn't comb their hair often.

If washing in twists are easier for you, do what works for you (was there a reason why you changed / stopped?).

One of my friends / colleagues also goes to Reniece. Like me, she keeps her hair care regimen simple and has minimal staple products. She goes to Reniece less often than me, and her hair is thriving, but she does take good care of her hair. She's barely needed her hair dusted (look at her lovely ends). She always says 'this hair of mine belongs to you and Reniece, thank you, thank you, thank you'. She's so sweet and kind. Keeping it simple is working well for her.

IMG_20120314_185917-vi.jpg

@Allandra, I decided to give my hair a 'thorough wash' and decided to remove the twists before I washed. Then I detangled my wet, newly washed hair and the ends seemed thick and poofier than the rest of my hair. I'm just wondering if they need to be cut. After I detangled, I applied leave in and used Crisco as sort of a hair butter so my air dried twist would stay moist. I didn't use any heat because right now I'm wearing my hair in twists underneath a wig.

Why did I wish I had a relaxer? The detangling process. Usually my hair isn't that bad with detangling but yesterday must have been a challenge because of either of the following:

1. I removed my twists before washing.
2. My ends need to be trimmed (the poofy ends)
3. I rinsed my hair under the sink. (Can't do this anymore)

So, I broke from my new regimen that seemed to be working for me. (Washing in twists)
I can't really tell if I had breakage or shedding. The strands are short curly o's from the ends of my hair. I had alot this time because of the way I washed and detangled.

p.s. I noticed that I had alot of less short curly O's in the shower during my shampoo. So, that must mean that using light protein every other week is helping my hair.

@Allandra, I decided to give my hair a 'thorough wash' and decided to remove the twists before I washed. Then I detangled my wet, newly washed hair and the ends seemed thick and poofier than the rest of my hair. I'm just wondering if they need to be cut. After I detangled, I applied leave in and used Crisco as sort of a hair butter so my air dried twist would stay moist. I didn't use any heat because right now I'm wearing my hair in twists underneath a wig.

Why did I wish I had a relaxer? The detangling process. Usually my hair isn't that bad with detangling but yesterday must have been a challenge because of either of the following:

1. I removed my twists before washing.
2. My ends need to be trimmed (the poofy ends)
3. I rinsed my hair under the sink. (Can't do this anymore)

So, I broke from my new regimen that seemed to be working for me. (Washing in twists)
I can't really tell if I had breakage or shedding. The strands are short curly o's from the ends of my hair. I had alot this time because of the way I washed and detangled.

p.s. I noticed that I had alot of less short curly O's in the shower during my shampoo. So, that must mean that using light protein every other week is helping my hair.
yodie

When I shampoo / condition my own hair, I NEVER do it in a sink. If it's not something that you normally do (and that works for you), stay away from it. Doing my hair in the shower keeps it flowing down and doesn't allow it to get all tangled up.

When you put your twists in, was your hair detangled? What's getting your hair so tangled? I hope you're gently detangling with a wide tooth comb. I don't like to shampoo my hair in twists or braids (tried it once and hated it), but I know it works for some. I just do mine in two sections (sometimes three).

I don't understand why you think poofy ends need to be trimmed.

Is this what you're doing:

pre-poo or deep condition on dry hair (which ever one you do)

shampoo with diluted shampoo (mix in an applicator bottle and apply to scalp and
massage, the suds will run down the length of the hair)

condition (detangle while condition is in hair with a wide tooth comb)

rinse

moisturize

twist hair

Back