For those wanting long hair...

(For some reason, I thought I replied to this earlier).

greenandchic

i am currently recovering from protein overload. the best thing that worked to strip/break the protein down for me was mixing 2 tablespoon of table salt in 3oz of creamy conditioner and i let it sit for an hour. i tried this mixer twice and it made my hair soft and easy to detangle without losing any hair.

I wonder what the salt does to the hair. I will try that on a section to see...

Thanks for the tip!

Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi-Intense Moisture Masque

you can try this too I like their products the bamboo line is all I have tried.

I've seen the bamboo line and have wondered about that. I may purchase some next time I need to buy hair products.

Have you used any of their shampoos?

greenandchic I think even if you needed protein it should have been light not jump right into the heavy stuff. I really hope you can save your hair. I think I did my hair with the mask every day until my hair felt like itself. Now I try to use it once a week if not every two weeks.

What would be a good example of a light protein?

xu93texas and newnyer First I want to thank you both for the encouragement :) It really made me feel better. Yes, I'm a SL challenger lol I like the regimen I have. I'll just stick to the hair vitamins (Country Life Maxi hair) and see how they do.

I'm just hoping it's because of the way I'm wearing my hair. I'm wearing it in a clip or bun, but my hair does tend to lay down extremely flat at night with the help of my scarf. I really hope it's the watched pot think because I couldve sworn my hair growth rate was a bit faster than this. Still slow mind you, but faster. I remember the last time I actually measured my new growth before a touch up it was 1 inch of new growth after 10 weeks *shrug*. So either I'm tripping, my hair before wasn't relaxed well enough for me to be able to tell the difference in new growth, or my hair is seasonal.

just bumping so i can get an answer to my question....after this last relaxer, i'm just a bit nervous about not seeing any new growth after this long :/

Maybe you should try going natural:) My sister for YEARS stayed between NL and SL when she was relaxed....it would always break off and seemed to not grow.

When she went natural, her hair grew like a weed!!! She is now BSL stretched:yep:

That's a cute puff in your avatar pic. I hope you are enjoying being natural. I think it's a lot of fun. Keep up the good work.

Allandra...i meant to respond to this long ago:grin:

Thank you for the compliment:)

I REALLY am enjoying being natural! I flat ironed my hair for the second time about two weeks ago and i got my hair to be really straight.....but....i forgot what to do with straight hair!:lachen: I got bored with it and it started to revert so i'm back to curly now with no heat damage!

I know a lot of naturals with hair longer than mine say they don't like doing wash n go's because of the tangles...but...im trying to figure out what to do with my hair when it gets to that point because my hair loves water and wash n go's! I may resort to stretching it out with twists:yep:

In all the years of me being on this board....i have learned to plan for in advance how to handle your hair as you are growing it out (and even if you are deciding on whether to go natural or not...plan and do research far in advance) that way you won't be too caught off guard when you hit tough moments with your hair down the road. It helps out a lot!

(For some reason, I thought I replied to this earlier).

I've seen the bamboo line and have wondered about that. I may purchase some next time I need to buy hair products.

Have you used any of their shampoos?

What would be a good example of a light protein?

The shampoo I don't buy shampoo's much. I use mixed chicks shampoo when I do shampoo and I use tresemme clarifying when I do that.

The conditioner I use is Tesemme line or mixed chicks deep conditioner for my everyday conditioning.

From Alterna Bamboo line I have only use the styling lotion but I want to try the mask the next time I go to get some because it is cheaper than the moroccan oil and to see if it is better or the same.

Now the protein I think you will have to wait for one of the others to chime in for that one because I just know they have light protein conditioners out there that are not as strong. But once again I don't use it at all do not buy it.

Allandra...i meant to respond to this long ago:grin:

Thank you for the compliment:)

I REALLY am enjoying being natural! I flat ironed my hair for the second time about two weeks ago and i got my hair to be really straight.....but....i forgot what to do with straight hair!:lachen: I got bored with it and it started to revert so i'm back to curly now with no heat damage!

I know a lot of naturals with hair longer than mine say they don't like doing wash n go's because of the tangles...but...im trying to figure out what to do with my hair when it gets to that point because my hair loves water and wash n go's! I may resort to stretching it out with twists:yep:

In all the years of me being on this board....i have learned to plan for in advance how to handle your hair as you are growing it out (and even if you are deciding on whether to go natural or not...plan and do research far in advance) that way you won't be too caught off guard when you hit tough moments with your hair down the road. It helps out a lot!

SmilingElephant I really don't understand the tangle thing unless they are going too many days with the wash n go. This is one reason why I do mines everyday and for those that can not do that they need to spray water on their hair and refresh the curl. But maybe because I have the kind of hair that just starts to detangle itself once the water hits it.

Another thing is when people say they don't like using certain products for wash n go's because it leaves their hair crunchy. when after it dries you are suppose to style your hair. you just don't leave your hair in that dry state all crunched up.

SmilingElephant I really don't understand the tangle thing unless they are going too many days with the wash n go. This is one reason why I do mines everyday and for those that can not do that they need to spray water on their hair and refresh the curl. But maybe because I have the kind of hair that just starts to detangle itself once the water hits it.

Another thing is when people say they don't like using certain products for wash n go's because it leaves their hair crunchy. when after it dries you are suppose to style your hair. you just don't leave your hair in that dry state all crunched up.

Yep! My hair does the same thing!!! My hair could be covered in alll the gel in the world and crunchy and buildup all over but as soon as water hits it...its all good!:grin:

I feel the same way about the styling products too....gels and other products that are for holding curls in place....will...hold:look:. It'll dry softer especially if you put enough leave-in in your hair. And yes, after it dries just gently scrunch your hair to get rid of the crunch (aka "Scrunch Out The Crunch" or SOTC) I'm a big curl cream fan now tho...less crunch than gel!

@Shadiyah
@Allandra
Is it possible for hair to be permanently damaged from protein? I cowashed my hair tonight and noticed parts of my hair (especially the back) is very wiry and breaks as easily as a thin cracker. :look:

Its been weeks since I've used a heavy protein treatment and wonder if my damaged my hair. I moisturize constantly but I lose so much hair daily now - between the breakage and the excessive shedding I'm trying to get under control.
greenandchic

That a good question. I don't know the answer to this one. I have never ever used a heavy duty protein (just never thought my hair needed that much protein). I've been using Aubrey Organics GPB since 1999 (nice, mild protein).

Are you manipulating your hair daily?

@Allandra
Would you mind critiquing my regimen? I really appreciate the advice you're offering in this thread but didn't really get a sense of what you thought about it. Am re-posting my regimen below:

1. Have gone from moisturizing/sealing twice daily to once a day.

2. Wash and DC twice a week; sometimes one of the washes is a co-wash. Always use really diluted shampoo on scalp only. Alternate light protein conditioners and moisturizing DCs.

3. Pre-poo with coconut oil and have recently started oil rinsing to cut down on the tangles which my fine, 4b hair is prone to.

4. Dust my ends every touch up (16 to 22wks). Gradually trimming 2 inches of damaged, over-processed ends has also really helped.

Thanks!
dargirl

1. Is this working for you? When I do my protective styles, I moisturize it really good prior to putting it in a protective styles because I keep my hair that way for 5 to 7 days, so I don't moisturize daily, but I know this works for some. Also, I don't seal my moisturizer with oil. I just moisturize and do my protective style.

2. How is washing your hair twice a week working for you? I wash my hair once a week (unless I've gotten it flat ironed, then I will wait about 2 weeks before washing it again - although I have waited longer than that at time). I love using diluted shampoo because I don't think my hair needs a ton of shampoo. Just apply it to your scalp and massage, as the suds will go down the length of your hair to clean it.

3. I've never tried oil rinsing. Has it made a big difference in your regimen?

4. I don't feel everyone's hair needs to be dusted / trimmed that often (at least not mine). See my dustings in my siggy (for 2011).

Dove56, I will cowash my hair. When I get out the shower, I'll apply more conditioner (or leave in of choice) and then put my hair up in a bun with my hair sticks. I usually do this when I'm cowashing frequently.

Dove56, I will cowash my hair. When I get out the shower, I'll apply more conditioner (or leave in of choice) and then put my hair up in a bun with my hair sticks. I usually do this when I'm cowashing frequently.

Awesome! Thank you very much, I am going to start doing that. :yep:

greenandchic

That a good question. I don't know the answer to this one. I have never ever used a heavy duty protein (just never thought my hair needed that much protein). I've been using Aubrey Organics GPB since 1999 (nice, mild protein).

Are you manipulating your hair daily?

I do manipulate my hair daily. I do because there is no style that last more than 24 hours on me, especially since I go to the gym often and my hair needs to be moisturized daily. I use a leave in on my hair daily and seal about every other day or when needed (sometimes daily).

I do it gently - no pulling and I baggy at night.

Thanks so much! Your questions are making me re-think a couple of things, which is always a good thing. It's so easy to go on auto-pilot without evaluating whether your regimen is really giving you the results you want...

dargirl

1. Is this working for you? When I do my protective styles, I moisturize it really good prior to putting it in a protective styles because I keep my hair that way for 5 to 7 days, so I don't moisturize daily, but I know this works for some. Also, I don't seal my moisturizer with oil. I just moisturize and do my protective style.

I think it is. When I started relaxing over a year ago, the self-relaxing quickly led to some over-processed ends which really needed the twice a day M&S. However, most of the damage has been trimmed off so my hair is much healthier now. Some days I just mist it lightly with water and apply a light coating of oil to the ends.

2. How is washing your hair twice a week working for you? I wash my hair once a week (unless I've gotten it flat ironed, then I will wait about 2 weeks before washing it again - although I have waited longer than that at time). I love using diluted shampoo because I don't think my hair needs a ton of shampoo. Just apply it to your scalp and massage, as the suds will go down the length of your hair to clean it.

Actually that was a bit of a mis-statement on my part. I wash and DC once a week. The second wash is usually just a co-wash. It's so hot and humid in Tanzania (think DC summer weather all year-round!) that only one weekly wash would be so uncomfortable. Plus, I work out at least 4 times a week so I have to get rid of all that sweat :look:

3. I've never tried oil rinsing. Has it made a big difference in your regimen?

Have only done it 3-4 times so far but it's making a huge difference. The length of my hair, especially ends, are far more supple and moisturized.

4. I don't feel everyone's hair needs to be dusted / trimmed that often (at least not mine). See my dustings in my siggy (for 2011).

You're probably right in that other people may not need to trim that often. However, my hair is fine and I used to have some really ugly ends which just had to go:lachen: Now that the damaged hair is gone, will monitor things to see if I really need to dust that often. But I find that a 1/4 inch dusting every 8-12 weeks really helps cut down on tangling.

I get a touch up just whenever I feel it's necessary, so usually that ranges from 12 weeks to 17 weeks. Never have I done it before 8 weeks

I wash once a week with CoN shampoo
Protein Treatment with Aphogee keratin 2 minute
DC Silk elements megasilk
Leave in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and Chi Silk Infusion
Airdry for 20-30 minutes
Blowdry on super super low heat (if it was water it would be lukewarm lol). I tried rollersetting, but for my hair that was doing too much with it while wet. I got tons of breakage but last time I blowdried my hair I barely got any breakage. So I'm sticking with what gives me less breakage.
Put in clip in extensions
A little more chi silk infusion
Flat iron the very top that is covering the tracks.

Daily I just moisturize with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and seal with jojoba oil/silk infusion/garnier fructis anti frizz serum mixture in spray bottle. I wear up during the week in either a bun, clip, or french twist. The extensions allow me to do these styles a lot easier. I don't have much breakage, maybe 5 hairs a day?
cutiepiesensei

I loved roller setting when I was relaxed (still get roller sets as a natural now too). What part of roller setting were you getting tons of breakage from? I always thought roller setting was much better than blow drying, but I know everyone has to do the one that works for them. You should definitely stick with what works for you. What type of moisturizer is Hawaiian Silky 14? How is the combination of jojoba oil/silk infusion/garnier fructis anti frizz serum working for your hair? I used jojoba oil by itself, and it's a wonderful oil (never tried mixing it with a bunch of other products). What type of clip are you using? I stopped using those claw clips in April 2008 because it did a number on my hair. Since you don't have much breakage / shedding, this is a good thing, and it shows your regimen is working well for you. :up:

@Allandra

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 is like a creamy/gellish consistency but it comes in a squirt bottle. It has mineral oil in it, but I heard a lot of good things about it on this board and it makes my hair feels soft.

I don't use jojoba just by itself because it tends to make my hair really really shiny. I don't like super shine/ greasy feel. I get lazy sometimes with sealing, because I feel like my hair does fine without it in excess

When I rollerset, the sectioning off hair and pulling taught on the roller just makes my hair break :( I can't put any type of comb to my hair when soaking wet, not even widetooth. When I blowdry though, I just section off an area with my hands and do it. When I blowdry, my hair is already partially dry so I don't get breakage like that, but I know rollersets are best done on soaking wet hair, which I cant mess with. Also, my hands are in my hair less when I blowdry. I know people say blowdrying is evil, but I figured if I did it on a very low setting, it'd be better. I just blowdried yesterday and my hair turned out so soft ^_^ I just wish I could get more growth.....it's depressing when you see forums that say "my hair grew an inch in a month!!!" when my hair hasn't even grown a fourth of that lol

I use a claw clip :( but I haven't seen anything too bad from it. Maybe it's because I put it up very loosely??

Last edited:
cutiepiesensei

I loved roller setting when I was relaxed (still get roller sets as a natural now too). What part of roller setting were you getting tons of breakage from? I always thought roller setting was much better than blow drying, but I know everyone has to do the one that works for them. You should definitely stick with what works for you. What type of moisturizer is Hawaiian Silky 14? How is the combination of jojoba oil/silk infusion/garnier fructis anti frizz serum working for your hair? I used jojoba oil by itself, and it's a wonderful oil (never tried mixing it with a bunch of other products). What type of clip are you using? I stopped using those claw clips in April 2008 because it did a number on my hair. Since you don't have much breakage / shedding, this is a good thing, and it shows your regimen is working well for you. :up:

Hey Allandra,

I'm sure you've mentioned it already but this thread is out of control! haha, what moisturizer do you use? Do you just use Jojoba Oil?

Hey Allandra,

I'm sure you've mentioned it already but this thread is out of control! haha, what moisturizer do you use? Do you just use Jojoba Oil?
Eiano :wave:

My hair care product list and regimen are in post #221 of this thread. Here's my list of moisturizers:

Moisturizers:
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream

I also use Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner (which I believe moisturizes my hair too).

HTH.

I don't consider jojoba oil a moisturizer. Right now, the only oil I have in my stash is argan oil (which I only use when my hair has been flat ironed).

@Allandra

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 is like a creamy/gellish consistency but it comes in a squirt bottle. It has mineral oil in it, but I heard a lot of good things about it on this board and it makes my hair feels soft.

I don't use jojoba just by itself because it tends to make my hair really really shiny. I don't like super shine/ greasy feel. I get lazy sometimes with sealing, because I feel like my hair does fine without it in excess

When I rollerset, the sectioning off hair and pulling taught on the roller just makes my hair break :( I can't put any type of comb to my hair when soaking wet, not even widetooth. When I blowdry though, I just section off an area with my hands and do it. When I blowdry, my hair is already partially dry so I don't get breakage like that, but I know rollersets are best done on soaking wet hair, which I cant mess with. Also, my hands are in my hair less when I blowdry. I know people say blowdrying is evil, but I figured if I did it on a very low setting, it'd be better. I just blowdried yesterday and my hair turned out so soft ^_^ I just wish I could get more growth.....it's depressing when you see forums that say "my hair grew an inch in a month!!!" when my hair hasn't even grown a fourth of that lol

I use a claw clip :( but I haven't seen anything too bad from it. Maybe it's because I put it up very loosely??
cutiepiesensei

I'm glad it's working well for you.

I'm trying to get more serious about taking care of my hair. I would love to see my hair get to BSL. :yep: I will be ecstatic if I can get it there. These are things that I am doing right. :lol:

- DCing at least 1x monthly
-moisturizing and sealing ends with oil at least 1x daily
- using heat protectent when applying heat
- protective styling every now and then (wash n gos, twist outs, updos)
- dusting ends when needed

I am using heat every now and then. When I do use it I only use it once and don't use anymore heat until I wash again. I also don't know if I do enough updos to keep my ends protected. :ohwell: I guess time will tell.

I'm trying to get more serious about taking care of my hair. I would love to see my hair get to BSL. :yep: I will be ecstatic if I can get it there. These are things that I am doing right. :lol:

- DCing at least 1x monthly
-moisturizing and sealing ends with oil at least 1x daily
- using heat protectent when applying heat
- protective styling every now and then (wash n gos, twist outs, updos)
- dusting ends when needed

I am using heat every now and then. When I do use it I only use it once and don't use anymore heat until I wash again. I also don't know if I do enough updos to keep my ends protected. :ohwell: I guess time will tell.
gabulldawg

How come you only dc once a month? I deep conditioner every time I shampoo my hair (plastic cap on my head while in the shower). It doesn't take long, and it doesn't require jumping in and out of the shower. Why don't you try protecting your ends and see how it goes for you. Please keep us updated.

gabulldawg

How come you only dc once a month? I deep conditioner every time I shampoo my hair (plastic cap on my head while in the shower). It doesn't take long, and it doesn't require jumping in and out of the shower. Why don't you try protecting your ends and see how it goes for you. Please keep us updated.

Laziness. :ohwell: lol. I do want to try weekly dcs. Do you use a DC or just any conditioner for your weekly dcs? And for how long? I will also try to protect my ends more. Any suggestions?

Laziness. :ohwell: lol. I do want to try weekly dcs. Do you use a DC or just any conditioner for your weekly dcs? And for how long? I will also try to protect my ends more. Any suggestions?
gabulldawg

Girl, I use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner or Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner or Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner. After I shampoo my hair, I apply the conditioner then a plastic cap, and take my shower. Once I'm done, I rinse the conditioner out. So, I would say about 15 to 20 minutes (depending how long I feel like staying in the shower).

There's a protective style thread with loads of suggestions and pics. I'll bump the thread for you.

Allandra Thank you so much for the thread. You are so helpful. It's take many set back but with help and trial and error, I have a Reggie. Despite setbacks I:

Wash 1x per week
DC 1x per week
Rollerset weekly
Henna 1x per month
Pincurl and moisturizer nightly.

I'm trying to get back to Apl. I am shoulder length so my siggy pic is inaccurate.
I cut my hair in June 2011.
Is making Apl doable by May 2012?

@Allandra Thank you so much for the thread. You are so helpful. It's take many set back but with help and trial and error, I have a Reggie. Despite setbacks I:

Wash 1x per week
DC 1x per week
Rollerset weekly
Henna 1x per month
Pincurl and moisturizer nightly.

I'm trying to get back to Apl. I am shoulder length so my siggy pic is inaccurate.
I cut my hair in June 2011.
Is making Apl doable by May 2012?
princesslocks

You have a nice regimen. You should be able to retain your length and get more (not sure how much by May 2012 since everyone's hair grows at their own rate). I hope you are protecting those ends (so you can retain).

Back