For those wanting long hair...

Hi All,
This is the best thread for someone like me and I thank you Allandra for starting it and all the ladies who given their advice.

Here is my story... I have issues with retention. My hair grows fine but the longer it gets the thinner it becómes. I started my hair journey in 2010 I just did another chop bringing me back to SL for the second time.

Here is what Im doing..
Im relaxed
poo - nexxus moisturising shampoo
put Aphoghee 2 minutes for 30 minutes
Follow it up with Aubrey organics for 3 - 5 hours

After a week
poo if neccesary
DC with Alter EGO for 2 hours

After every DC, I rinse out the DC

leave in Lacio Lacio
Let it partially dry
apply a mixture of Grapeseed oil to my hair
on the scapl I put a mixture of JBCO, Grapeseed and jojoba
I put my hair in three - 4 cornrows and keep them for a week
From time to time i spray it with a mixture of grapseen oil, water and curl activator

This is my new regime.. when I take out my hair, i will post a pic of my new length.
Please advice me.. apart from this im taking
biotin 1000mg
flaxseed
and MSM 2000
twice a day

Allandra thanks. I was protective styling (buns) and then I switched to pincurling after my rollersets. If hiding those ends are going to get me to Apl then I'm on it. Let me know and thanks again. :0)

Hi All,
This is the best thread for someone like me and I thank you @Allandra for starting it and all the ladies who given their advice.

Here is my story... I have issues with retention. My hair grows fine but the longer it gets the thinner it becómes. I started my hair journey in 2010 I just did another chop bringing me back to SL for the second time.

Here is what Im doing..
Im relaxed
poo - nexxus moisturising shampoo
put Aphoghee 2 minutes for 30 minutes
Follow it up with Aubrey organics for 3 - 5 hours

After a week
poo if neccesary
DC with Alter EGO for 2 hours

After every DC, I rinse out the DC

leave in Lacio Lacio
Let it partially dry
apply a mixture of Grapeseed oil to my hair
on the scapl I put a mixture of JBCO, Grapeseed and jojoba
I put my hair in three - 4 cornrows and keep them for a week
From time to time i spray it with a mixture of grapseen oil, water and curl activator

This is my new regime.. when I take out my hair, i will post a pic of my new length.
Please advice me.. apart from this im taking
biotin 1000mg
flaxseed
and MSM 2000
twice a day
Rossy2010 Is your hair naturally thin / fine? Have you ever thought about going natural (to gain more thickness)? You probably don't need to keep the Aphoghee 2 minute on your hair for 30 minutes or the Aubrey Organics on your hair for 3 to 5 hours (wonder if this could be making it limp in turn causing it to look thin - just my thoughts). I'm just one of those people that thinks one doesn't need to keep conditioners on their hair for hours at a time. How is your spray mixture working out for your hair?

@Rossy2010 Is your hair naturally thin / fine? Have you ever thought about going natural (to gain more thickness)? You probably don't need to keep the Aphoghee 2 minute on your hair for 30 minutes or the Aubrey Organics on your hair for 3 to 5 hours (wonder if this could be making it limp in turn causing it to look thin - just my thoughts). I'm just one of those people that thinks one doesn't need to keep conditioners on their hair for hours at a time. How is your spray mixture working out for your hair?

I have fine hair naturally and I have thought of going natural.. But Im so afraid of losing length and i dont know if i can handle my hair in its natural state. On my next DC I will give it a go and leave the DC for the recommended time.. I will try to do this for a a while and let you know how it goes. The spray is working fine

What are you doing to retain your length? Has it been working for you?

I keep it real simple

Daily protein shake and drink plenty of water.
I shampoo, condition and air dry my hair once a week, I relax (new growth only) every six months. I use Relaxed and Natural moisturizer on my hair (I don't put it on my scalp) and put my hair in a braided ponytail. And now I'm about an inch past WL. As for growth it picked back up once I went back to my daily shakes.

I wet my hair nightly and seal with JBCO and BCO on the ends. I've also started bunning about 5 days a week. My hair growth has been decent so far, but now that it's at a length where bunning is easy I find that I'm not only doing it for length retention but because I like the style, it's quick and ladylike, so all in all it works!

Nearly 3 years natural. Almost BSL. (I just trimmed)

I keep it real simple

I shampoo, condition and air dry my hair once a week, I relax (new growth only) every six months. I use Relaxed and Natural moisturizer on my hair (I don't put it on my scalp) and put my hair in a braided ponytail. And now I'm about an inch past WL. As for growth it picked back up once I went back to my daily shakes.

Cbgo - what is the brand name of the daily protein shake that you drink?

Allandra

This is such a nice thread idea. Thank you.

Ok,so I want long hair but I keep yo-yoing between APL and BSL. I don't have a problem with the actual growth part but it's my ends. They always end up see-through. I cut it blunt to try and "start over" and I can't maintain healthy ends. they always split. This is killing my progress. I've grown all the way down to BSL but I could not keep it. I do wear a lot of buns but for a long time I wasn't doing them correctly. Now I make a ponytail and wrap the hair around and pin the ends with bobby pins, is that bad.

I do rollerset a lot but I don't use any heat besides drying the rollers. With the way my ends end up looking you would think i blowdried or flatironed everyday but I don't even own that equipment. Literally when I got my last touch up the lady was like are you sure you don't blow dry your hair?" I don't, I really don't. How is it that my ends look that bad?
:lol:

I've also been guilty of letting salons trim me. They always cut off too much, that's not happening anymore. I'm going to trim or let my sister trim.
Here's what else I'm doing:
My last touch up was Feb 4th. Since then I've decided to introduce Aveda Damage Remedy into my life. I really want stronger hair that can retain length. We'll see what happens.

Wash twice a week.
Roller set once a week
Products: Aveda Damage Remedy full line
AO conditioners, Alter Ego Garlic
Moisturize and seal every few days :look:

So Allandra, how did you maintain your ends when you were relaxed? This question is for anyone actually.

Thanks in advance!

I keep it real simple

Cbgo

I love simple, and it shows it's working GREAT for you. :up: What's your hair goal length?

I wet my hair nightly and seal with JBCO and BCO on the ends. I've also started bunning about 5 days a week. My hair growth has been decent so far, but now that it's at a length where bunning is easy I find that I'm not only doing it for length retention but because I like the style, it's quick and ladylike, so all in all it works!

Nearly 3 years natural. Almost BSL. (I just trimmed)
nysister

What is jbco and bco (been around for a while, but I still don't know all of the abbreviations, sorry)? I love buns. are you moving yours around so it doesn't get stressed from placing it in the same spot? You know I love natural. :yep:

@nysister

What is jbco and bco (been around for a while, but I still don't know all of the abbreviations, sorry)? I love buns. are you moving yours around so it doesn't get stressed from placing it in the same spot? You know I love natural. :yep:

Oh I forgot about that! Thanks!

JBCO= Jamaican Black Castor Oil

I meant to just say CO for the other one. (Castor Oil) I'd use it alone but it's rather gucky and JBCO makes my hair soft so I keep it stocked! It's one of the first things I put down on my travel pack lists. :lol:

@Allandra

Ok,so I want long hair but I keep yo-yoing between APL and BSL. I don't have a problem with the actual growth part but it's my ends. They always end up see-through. I cut it blunt to try and "start over" and I can't maintain healthy ends. they always split. This is killing my progress. I've grown all the way down to BSL but I could not keep it. I do wear a lot of buns but for a long time I wasn't doing them correctly. Now I make a ponytail and wrap the hair around and pin the ends with bobby pins, is that bad.

I do rollerset a lot but I don't use any heat besides drying the rollers. With the way my ends end up looking you would think i blowdried or flatironed everyday but I don't even own that equipment. Literally when I got my last touch up the lady was like are you sure you don't blow dry your hair?" I don't, I really don't. How is it that my ends look that bad?

I've also been guilty of letting salons trim me. They always cut off too much, that's not happening anymore. I'm going to trim or let my sister trim.
My last touch up was Feb 4th. Since then I've decided to introduce Aveda Damage Remedy into my life. I really want stronger hair that can retain length. We'll see what happens.

Wash twice a week.
Roller set once a week

So Allandra, how did you maintain your ends when you were relaxed? This question is for anyone actually.

Thanks in advance!
sharifeh

What type of bobby pins are you using for your buns? I don't like the metal ones. I like the plastic Good Hair Day Pins (been using those for years).

When you do your roller sets, are you smoothing your hair out really good prior to rollering each section? When I used to do my own roller sets, I always used a fine tooth comb on each section prior to rolling it up (the ends had to be smooth in order to dry smooth).

I maintain my natural ends the same way I used to maintain my relaxed ends. I protect that bad boys (protective styles). My regimen is post #221 in this thread.

I use Designer Whey or any kind of soy milk when I want a latte. I do dress up the protein shake sometimes with fruit and spinach.

I have fine hair naturally and I have thought of going natural.. But Im so afraid of losing length and i dont know if i can handle my hair in its natural state. On my next DC I will give it a go and leave the DC for the recommended time.. I will try to do this for a a while and let you know how it goes. The spray is working fine

Have you tried stretching your relaxers? When i started stretching and texlaxing from bone straight my hair started to thicken...but it left my ends looking thinner than the top of my hair. In fact my driver's license pic shows the different thickness in my hair when i was relaxed...i shudder everytime i look at it:lol:

However now that i'm natural...all of my hair is thick...not just the roots:yep:

Try castor oil as well!

Allandra

Wash twice a week.
Roller set once a week

Thanks in advance!

How often do you clarify? You might have buildup on your ends.

Have you tried stretching your relaxers? When i started stretching and texlaxing from bone straight my hair started to thicken...but it left my ends looking thinner than the top of my hair. In fact my driver's license pic shows the different thickness in my hair when i was relaxed...i shudder everytime i look at it:lol:

However now that i'm natural...all of my hair is thick...not just the roots:yep:

Try castor oil as well!

Thank you SmilingElephant I have tried to stretch relaxers the last was 21 weeks which led to my minichop.. Im using JBCO in my DCs

Allandra
Yes I do use the hair ripping metal pins. I've never even heard of plastic bobby pins, I think you just changed my life. :lol:
Are you talking about these? http://www.amazon.com/Good-Hair-Days-Magic-Grip-Hairpins/dp/B0041TDMZ6

I'll go get some.

SmilingElephant
that's a very plausible theory.
I hardly ever clarify to be honest. what did you use when you were relaxed and how often did you do it?

I used either ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo or Suave Clarifying or V05 clarifying shampoos, i clarified once a month at least:yep:

[USER=107769 said:
sharifeh[/USER];15442115]Allandra
Yes I do use the hair ripping metal pins. I've never even heard of plastic bobby pins, I think you just changed my life. :lol:
Are you talking about these? http://www.amazon.com/Good-Hair-Days-Magic-Grip-Hairpins/dp/B0041TDMZ6

I'll go get some.

SmilingElephant
that's a very plausible theory.
I hardly ever clarify to be honest. what did you use when you were relaxed and how often did you do it?

I believe those are what she is talking about:) You can get them from local drugstore, sally's, probably BSS too:) My good days never snag. I also use steel hair pins from plainlydressed.com. My Mac won't allow me to go to the site anymore but I am sure you probably can get them other places too:)

Steel hair pins http://www.mennonitemaiden.com/amish-hairpins-3quo3.html

What are you doing to retain your length? Has it been working for you?

Thank you so much for this thread. Here is my current regimen, please tell me what can I do to improve it?

* I'm current BKT'd (Brazilian Keratin Treatment). I'm going on year 2 being fully BKT'd. I was natural previously for 2 years.

*Pre poo: Pre (Silk Dream Hair Care line)

*Deep Condition with WEN Fig./Aussie 3 min Deep Conditioner if I'm out of Wen.
*I Deep condition for 2 hours with no heat. Twice a week. I apply my DC and put on a Plastic shower cap.

*If I decide to deep condition my hair with heat : I do it once a week. The process is the same as above except for the first 15 mins I sit under the dryer and then the rest of the 1h45 with no heat.
* After I rince my deep conditioner. I have a Keratin conditioner(keratin Perfect) that I apply for 2 mins and then rince.

* I have a spray (Keratin Perfect) which I lightly apply and then I apply Keratin Booster(blow dry cream). Of course all of these contain keratin.

* I blow dry my hair. Then, I apply my heat protectant and Flat iron my hair. When all done I apply a pure Argan Oil on the hair. Flat iron on 250-300 max. I do not touch up with the flat iron or anything until the next wash.

* Leave in: I apply Hairveda ends hydration on my all over my hair and seal with Pure argan oil. I focus on my ends.Twice a day once int he morning and then before bedtime.

* Protective Style: My hair is pulled in a pony tail and I make sure not to pull back to hard. Then I roll my tail, hid my ends and put a hair crunchy ( round ones). At bed time hair is covered with silk scarf. I also use no pins, and I use Snag free elastics.

*Vitamins: Nioxin Recharge Twice a day. Once with a Multi Vitamin in the morning and at night I take Nioxin alone.

* I dust my own ends. Once every 3 to 4 months.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this thread. Here is my current regimen, please tell me what can I do to improve it?

* I'm current BKT'd (Brazilian Keratin Treatment). I'm going on year 2 being fully BKT'd. I was natural previously for 2 years.

*Pre poo: Pre (Silk Dream Hair Care line)

*Deep Condition with WEN Fig./Aussie 3 min Deep Conditioner if I'm out of Wen.
*I Deep condition for 2 hours with no heat. Twice a week. I apply my DC and put on a Plastic shower cap.

*If I decide to deep condition my hair with heat : I do it once a week. The process is the same as above except for the first 15 mins I sit under the dryer and then the rest of the 1h45 with no heat.
* After I rince my deep conditioner. I have a Keratin conditioner(keratin Perfect) that I apply for 2 mins and then rince.

* I have a spray (Keratin Perfect) which I lightly apply and then I apply Keratin Booster(blow dry cream). Of course all of these contain keratin.

* I blow dry my hair. Then, I apply my heat protectant and Flat iron my hair. When all done I apply a pure Argan Oil on the hair. Flat iron on 250-300 max. I do not touch up with the flat iron or anything until the next wash.

* Leave in: I apply Hairveda ends hydration on my all over my hair and seal with Pure argan oil. I focus on my ends.Twice a day once int he morning and then before bedtime.

* Protective Style: My hair is pulled in a pony tail and I make sure not to pull back to hard. Then I roll my tail, hid my ends and put a hair crunchy ( round ones). At bed time hair is covered with silk scarf. I also use no pins, and I use Snag free elastics.

*Vitamins: Nioxin Recharge Twice a day. Once with a Multi Vitamin in the morning and at night I take Nioxin alone.

* I dust my own ends. Once every 3 to 4 months.

BlackHairDiva

I don't know anything about BKT. How is that working out for your hair? Are you only doing one protective style? Having a variety of protect styles is good so you don't place stress in the same areas of your hair / scalp.

What is your hair length and hair length goal?

Are you retaining length with your regimen?

@BlackHairDiva

I don't know anything about BKT. How is that working out for your hair? Are you only doing one protective style? Having a variety of protect styles is good so you don't place stress in the same areas of your hair / scalp.

What is your hair length and hair length goal?

Are you retaining length with your regimen?

BKT is the best I ever did to my hair. Its been a blessing so far. I use a lot less heat than I ever did before and most of all I do retain lenght. THe sides are APL (This is an all time record.)

The front is between collar bone and APL. The back is a little past BSL.

When I first starting lurking the forum back in 2004, my goal was to be APL all around. My current hair goal is MBL all around.I'm also focusing on moisture, texture and health. I'm happy with my thickness. I'm open to trying other oils. I love argan oil, but it lightens hair. I want to keep my hair jet black.:yep:

Protective styles...I don't have a variety of them. My hair is slicked back in a bun.. Pony tail not to tight, so the hair is slightly loose.

Back