For those wanting long hair...

I henna once a month too and that's made a difference. Actually protein stopped the excessive breakage. I used Aphrogee 2-Step, but its been a while since I've used it since I started using henna again. I haven't used AO GOV in a while either.

I don't use a brush and started combing again recently because my hair was locking up with finger combing... I may have been doing it wrong.

greenandchic ok now that you got it under control why keep using it? I thought it was only if there was a problem not for regular use?

@DesignerCurls

Way to go on drinking that water girl. :up:

I was never one to be able to finger comb through all of this hair, so I always use a comb for detangling (gotta keep those shed hairs outta there). I don't experience a lot of knots, but I get the regular tangles from shampooing my hair. When I shampoo my hair, it's always done in the shower with my hair hanging down (to not disturb my hair too much).

Allandra thanks for the info. I wash my hair in the shower too and I am able to release shed hair. Maybe when I DC the some shed hair gets tangled at the ends...IDK. But I went to Sally's to get a couple of combs (they had some on sale) just to start off with. I might order some other ones online in the future. I hope these help! :yep:

@tryingto

How is the 4 weeks at a time working out for you? Are you able to moisturize your hair really good? If you're getting bored with the wigs, try some of the protective styles members have listed in this thread. Do you have staple products?

yes, I use s curl moisturizer, I soak my hair with it in the am usually, every other day, I CW, once a week, only deep condtion when I remove the cornrows, my staple products are shea butter, S curl mositurizer, vo5 strawberries and cream, and Carol's daughter Vanillia leave in conditon:lick:, I usually have very good growth when I take it down, thanks for the link to the protective styles, will pop in their right now, and thanks for this thread, now I can see you goregous hair, more often,

yodie

I feel your pain. I hate those mid shaft splits too. I know it's most likely from flat ironing because when I had relaxed hair, I never saw any splits and I never flat ironed my relaxed hair. I started flat ironing when I went natural.

Now, I am starting to get back into the groove of not using heat on my natural hair. I was looking through old pictures in my album and I started using heat in 2007 which was 2 years after my big chop.

When it comes to styling, I'm going to try MissAlinaRose's method of wearing twistouts except I am not going to retwist/rebraid every night. Tuesday night, I did put my hair in two strand twists, wore them for a day, and then unravelled my hair this morning. :lol: I just wasn't feeling them, especially the shape of my twists...and some of my ends would unravel. :ohwell: So I'm just going to stick with wearing twistouts which is one of my favorite natural styles and just wear my hair in a "pineapple" on top of my head at night with a scarf to cover my hair. I hope this works for me.

Allandra and Poohbear, I enjoyed the post between you two. Poohbear asked the question that I wanted to know, Allandra, how are/were you able to grow your hair so quickly? I could definitely be wrong, but I feel like 3c hair grows easier. I have 4a/b and it always seems like I'm suffering or trying to recover from a setback. My latest one was mid shaft splits. UGH!! There is nothing in the world that can save mid shaft splits, other than a pair of scissors. I keep telling myself that I need some 'glue' to hold my strand together. Maybe I need to use a light protein and ceramides more often.

I'm getting rid of all these extra products that I have around here. I'm keeping it simple and I'll sick with AO conditioners because they have ceramides in them already.

I'm not using heat at all right now, so would an AO GPB treatment twice a month be too much?

Poohbear, I'm so enjoying your posts with Allandra. I have some of the same hair issues as well. I decided to leave the heat alone as well. Right now I'm wearing twists underneath a curly wig and I plan to do so for the rest of the year. I was manipulating my hair way too much before and my hair responded with breakage. I have fine strands as well and they don't like to be touched too much.

I look forward to your successful journey from this point on.
I hope you and Allandra don't mind me being all up in your post.
I'm cleaning out my 'product' closet today.

Is M&S moisturize & style? Do you change your style daily or do you just like to do your hair daily? I wonder if I'm the only one that styles their hair on Sunday and keep it that way until the weekend. :look: Do you do henna to strengthen your hair?

Allandra Sorry for just seeing this. M&S is moisturize and seal. I just took down my yarn braids but without them I style my hair once a week or every two weeks, usually twists or braids and lately tucked under my wig. Yes I use henna to strengthen my hair but I also love the color when I get in the sun.

Poohbear, I wondered if flat ironing caused mid shaft splits. I never had mid shaft splits when I pressed my hair. My problem with pressing is that it left my hair too straight. I used both the maxi-glide with teeth and a regular flat iron. How can flat irons cause mid shaft splits? I had them all over and couldn't figure out where they came from.

I find that a twist out-chignon style work best for me. This is my goal hairstyle. I don't really want to have to use the blowdryer, so I'm hiding my hair the next 2 yrs (THAT'S A LONG TIME) underneath a wig and I should have the length I want by the end of my journey.

I'm also going to try pre-pooing with a light protein before each wash (every 2 wks). I found that washing in twists works GREAT for me. I'm sick of setbacks. No more setbacks.

Poohbear, I wondered if flat ironing caused mid shaft splits. I never had mid shaft splits when I pressed my hair. My problem with pressing is that it left my hair too straight. I used both the maxi-glide with teeth and a regular flat iron. How can flat irons cause mid shaft splits? I had them all over and couldn't figure out where they came from.

I find that a twist out-chignon style work best for me. This is my goal hairstyle. I don't really want to have to use the blowdryer, so I'm hiding my hair the next 2 yrs (THAT'S A LONG TIME) underneath a wig and I should have the length I want by the end of my journey.

I'm also going to try pre-pooing with a light protein before each wash (every 2 wks). I found that washing in twists works GREAT for me. I'm sick of setbacks. No more setbacks.

yodie

I think the flat iron causes splits because as the plates smooth down the length of a section of hair, it causes friction with the tight curves and bends of the hair strand. Even though the hair is stretched out from blowdrying, there's still small little crinkles throughout the hair strands. Looser textures have more success because the hair texture isn't as tightly coiled. The flat iron doesn't smash down their texture as much. Hope that makes sense.

Ok so I need something to speed this along. I just noticed that my hair grows terribly slow :( It's been 3 full weeks since I got a relaxer touch up and in some places on my head I kid you not there is ZERO new growth. In some other places there is not even a centimeter of new growth. If the average growth rate is 1/2 inch a month i'm nowhere close :( Is there something I can do to help this? I'm still waiting for some hair vitamins to be delivered

Ok so I need something to speed this along. I just noticed that my hair grows terribly slow :( It's been 3 full weeks since I got a relaxer touch up and in some places on my head I kid you not there is ZERO new growth. In some other places there is not even a centimeter of new growth. If the average growth rate is 1/2 inch a month i'm nowhere close :( Is there something I can do to help this? I'm still waiting for some hair vitamins to be delivered
cutiepiesensei

Please tell us about your regimen and the products you use. How often do you get relaxer touch ups?

@cutiepiesensei

Please tell us about your regimen and the products you use. How often do you get relaxer touch ups?

I get a touch up just whenever I feel it's necessary, so usually that ranges from 12 weeks to 17 weeks. Never have I done it before 8 weeks

I wash once a week with CoN shampoo
Protein Treatment with Aphogee keratin 2 minute
DC Silk elements megasilk
Leave in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and Chi Silk Infusion
Airdry for 20-30 minutes
Blowdry on super super low heat (if it was water it would be lukewarm lol). I tried rollersetting, but for my hair that was doing too much with it while wet. I got tons of breakage but last time I blowdried my hair I barely got any breakage. So I'm sticking with what gives me less breakage.
Put in clip in extensions
A little more chi silk infusion
Flat iron the very top that is covering the tracks.

Daily I just moisturize with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and seal with jojoba oil/silk infusion/garnier fructis anti frizz serum mixture in spray bottle. I wear up during the week in either a bun, clip, or french twist. The extensions allow me to do these styles a lot easier. I don't have much breakage, maybe 5 hairs a day?

@lana, I have some Mane & Tail condish in my stash. Do you let it sit on your hair for 10 minutes before you wash? How exactly do you use it?

yodie, actually I put it on the day before I wash, like that evening and then sleep in a bun with a scarf over it and wash the next morning. That way I have deep conditioned dry hair overnight. That is my prepoo. It makes washing and conditioning with heat a dream. I use the hooded dryer to deep condition wet hair with a moisturizing conditioner, after shampoo.

I hope that helps. My hair loves this routine. :yep: I made BSL and now I'm on my way to MBL.

Shadiyah
Allandra
Is it possible for hair to be permanently damaged from protein? I cowashed my hair tonight and noticed parts of my hair (especially the back) is very wiry and breaks as easily as a thin cracker. :look:

Its been weeks since I've used a heavy protein treatment and wonder if my damaged my hair. I moisturize constantly but I lose so much hair daily now - between the breakage and the excessive shedding I'm trying to get under control.

yodie, actually I put it on the day before I wash, like that evening and then sleep in a bun with a scarf over it and wash the next morning. That way I have deep conditioned dry hair overnight. That is my prepoo. It makes washing and conditioning with heat a dream. I use the hooded dryer to deep condition wet hair with a moisturizing conditioner, after shampoo.

I hope that helps. My hair loves this routine. :yep: I made BSL and now I'm on my way to MBL.

Have you tried Aubrey Organics GPB instead of Mane & Tail? If so, has either worked better than the other?

Do you do this each time you wash? If so, how often do you wash? Do you always heat style each time you wash?

I'm asking because I'm natural 4a/4b and right now I'm not using any heat. I'm wondering if using AO GPB or Mane & Tail as a dc prepoo on dry hair WITH EACH WASH is ok or too much.

I'd like to get feedback from all of you ladies.

Shadiyah
Allandra
Is it possible for hair to be permanently damaged from protein? I cowashed my hair tonight and noticed parts of my hair (especially the back) is very wiry and breaks as easily as a thin cracker. :look:

Its been weeks since I've used a heavy protein treatment and wonder if my damaged my hair. I moisturize constantly but I lose so much hair daily now - between the breakage and the excessive shedding I'm trying to get under control.

greenandchic
Well I can tell you this. My hair is protein sensitive. I don't use protein on my hair at all and I had to find that out the hard way. My hair started doing just like yours only thing is when I found out my hair had already fell out and that is when I was mega tek and all other things everyone was using to grow their hair. but that also answered other questions for the years that my hair seem it was not growing when I knew that my hair by then would be longer.

So in 2008 I had to cut all my hair off and start all over again which leads me to this date. 3 yrs later I am almost bsl. I never use protein so if my hair does not get it from natural sources or the other products that i use on my hair it will not get it. The only thing I use on my hair is the henna which others have said can act like a protein.

Now I had a little experience with sulfur some months ago and I caught that early. I used a very moisturizing conditioner that someone here suggested on the foam that cost $30.00 and I went with moroccan oil intense hydrating mask. It worked wonders and I don't try anything new anymore and just let my hair grow as it grows.

So mines did and I had to cut it but you may be able to save some of it and cut away the back that is messed up and it is hidden under the length.

greenandchic
Well I can tell you this. My hair is protein sensitive. I don't use protein on my hair at all and I had to find that out the hard way. My hair started doing just like yours only thing is when I found out my hair had already fell out and that is when I was mega tek and all other things everyone was using to grow their hair. but that also answered other questions for the years that my hair seem it was not growing when I knew that my hair by then would be longer.

So in 2008 I had to cut all my hair off and start all over again which leads me to this date. 3 yrs later I am almost bsl. I never use protein so if my hair does not get it from natural sources or the other products that i use on my hair it will not get it. The only thing I use on my hair is the henna which others have said can act like a protein.

Now I had a little experience with sulfur some months ago and I caught that early. I used a very moisturizing conditioner that someone here suggested on the foam that cost $30.00 and I went with moroccan oil intense hydrating mask. It worked wonders and I don't try anything new anymore and just let my hair grow as it grows.

So mines did and I had to cut it but you may be able to save some of it and cut away the back that is messed up and it is hidden under the length.

The thing its, its just part of the back of my hair that's doing this. My hair is hair multiple textures (not just curl patterns) so that makes since. My hair felt really good post protein and now months later it feels damaged - almost heat damaged though I haven't used heat in almost 10 years.

I never had an issue with henna so I will keep doing that.

When you say "natural sources" what do you mean? Natural like yogurt?

If you could remember the name of the conditioner, that would be great.

TIA!

The thing its, its just part of the back of my hair that's doing this. My hair is hair multiple textures (not just curl patterns) so that makes since. My hair felt really good post protein and now months later it feels damaged - almost heat damaged though I haven't used heat in almost 10 years.

I never had an issue with henna so I will keep doing that.

When you say "natural sources" what do you mean? Natural like yogurt?

If you could remember the name of the conditioner, that would be great.

TIA!

greenandchic I gave you the name of the conditioner because that is one of them and the other one was by something with a M I will look in my past post when I reached out for help.

That is the feeling that protein overload gives you. I mean protein with like wheat germ from the products I use and what I eat. other than that I don't use protein at all. all moisturizing conditioners is what I use on my hair and I have no problems at all, never mushy or none of that. I still use silicone's on my hair as well with no problem.

It is the one they told me about and it was not in the store that day I went for it.
Matrix Ultra conditioning balm or Mizani Intense Moisture.

Last edited:
greenandchic I gave you the name of the conditioner because that is one of them and the other one was by something with a M I will look in my past post when I reached out for help.

That is the feeling that protein overload gives you. I mean protein with like wheat germ from the products I use and what I eat. other than that I don't use protein at all. all moisturizing conditioners is what I use on my hair and I have no problems at all, never mushy or none of that. I still use silicone's on my hair as well with no problem.

It is the one they told me about and it was not in the store that day I went for it.
Matrix Ultra conditioning balm or Mizani Intense Moisture.

I did have mushy hair which is why I tried heavy protein in the first place. I should have stuck with henna, ceramides and food based proteins. Thanks for the product suggestions!

greenandchic I think even if you needed protein it should have been light not jump right into the heavy stuff. I really hope you can save your hair. I think I did my hair with the mask every day until my hair felt like itself. Now I try to use it once a week if not every two weeks.

Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi-Intense Moisture Masque

you can try this too I like their products the bamboo line is all I have tried.

Shadiyah
Allandra

greenandchic

i am currently recovering from protein overload. the best thing that worked to strip/break the protein down for me was mixing 2 tablespoon of table salt in 3oz of creamy conditioner and i let it sit for an hour. i tried this mixer twice and it made my hair soft and easy to detangle without losing any hair.

just bumping so i can get an answer to my question....after this last relaxer, i'm just a bit nervous about not seeing any new growth after this long :/

cutiepiesensei said:

Hair growth is tied to our health. So I would probably look at diet and nutrition. If you believe you are okay in this area then I would next look at increasing water intake and start focusing on retention from the bottom up and not from the roots down.

Baby your ends.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Hair growth is tied to our health. So I would probably look at diet and nutrition. If you believe you are okay in this area then I would next look at increasing water intake and start focusing on retention from the bottom up and not from the roots down.

Baby your ends.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Well I eat pretty healthy honestly :/ I just need to buckle down even harder I guess. I know I don't drink enough water so I'll start there. I will start hair vitamins soon......maybe i should add biotin and a multivitamin too? It's depressing; i want to see my hair grow fast

Great thread!! I've been lurking and Allandra, you're hair is gorgeous!

cutiepiesensei,
I believe you're a fellow SL challenger, right?? I just wanted to drop in and tell you ''everything is going to be all right". I think your regimen is on point and your hair IS growing. Hang in there, girl!:grin: I have to tell myself all the time that "a watched pot never boils". Even when you think you're hair isn't growing, it is. Just remain diligent and focused on your goal-the growth will come.

I also wanted to add that you probably won't need to take hair vitamins and a multivitamin. I don't know the brand of hair vitamins you purchased, but most of them have the same vitamins and minerals as multivitamins, just in higher dosages.

cutiepiesensie Do u know your normal growth rate? I only ask because if I'm doing any sort of manipulation to my head (rollerset, tight buns, etc) I rarely start noticing NG until about 4-5 weeks. I think it's because I stretch what little NG I have while manipulating. Then it comes w/ a vengence all of a sudden (in my mind). Lol. Also, starting my HHJ only a year ago I think my hair's growth rate slowed down during the winter season- last spring & summer spoiled me when it came to hair growth.

I am SSSOOO guilty of the "watched pot" thing. I keep getting frustrated w/ my slow growth yet I KEEP doing length checks. Talk about torture!

Hi Allandra. Gorgeous hair! My hair is full SL. I normally wear it in loose updos, buns, and ponytails using either good hair day pins or flexi-8s. Limit combing to wash days and mostly finger comb on other days or use my Magic Star Rake comb to untangle ends before moisturizing and sealing.

Allandra
Would you mind critiquing my regimen? I really appreciate the advice you're offering in this thread but didn't really get a sense of what you thought about it. Am re-posting my regimen below:

1. Have gone from moisturizing/sealing twice daily to once a day.

2. Wash and DC twice a week; sometimes one of the washes is a co-wash. Always use really diluted shampoo on scalp only. Alternate light protein conditioners and moisturizing DCs.

3. Pre-poo with coconut oil and have recently started oil rinsing to cut down on the tangles which my fine, 4b hair is prone to.

4. Dust my ends every touch up (16 to 22wks). Gradually trimming 2 inches of damaged, over-processed ends has also really helped.

Thanks!

newnyer....I was laughing when I saw your "watching the pot" comment. I am so guilty of that. Its taken what seems like forever for me to figure out that if I stick to my regime, truly leave my hair alone with low manipulation styles, and stop obsessing my hair grows fine and healthy. It's when I start paying too much attention that it ends up getting jacked from my trying to fix something that isn't really broken. Patience and TLC is key.

Back