For those wanting long hair...

@claudzie Welcome! Your regimen sounds good. How's your heat usage? I'm also relaxed :) HHJ!

thanks you :) i havent used any heat for atleast 2months :nono: im staying away from heat till im about to do a length check. i think my hair has had enough of heat damage (hotcombs and extremely hot metallic straighteners ) so far so good :grin:

i am working on wearing curly roller and rod sets for low manipulation. this worked for me in the past. it helps me keep my hands out and use less product. it also allows me to go a week before washing again instead of 2x a week.

i also am going to get a nozzle applicator to moisturize and seal my new growth, so it won't mess up my curls. i am looking for some satin headbands for when my hair gets crazy looking.

i used this method years ago, when i relied on the salon to take care of my hair. i would just get a rod or roller set once a week. if some of my curls were mushed from sleeping, i would just roll that piece back up with a dab of water, so my style would last. i was able to grow my hair past APL before i decided to go crazy and get a pixie cut.

i have really good products, but i am a product junkie by nature. i do want to invest in a steamer for my conditioning treatments. i am recovering from protein overload and i have low porosity. i also want to get a steamer to help me stretch my relaxers more. my last relaxer was the beginning of this month and i want to stretch until the end of April. that will be my next trim as well.

Have you tried making your own oil? If you make it yourself it doesn't smell as bad. I won't purchase another bottle. I'll just stick to making mine

Ms. Tiki I don't mind the powder and it smells very nice. I think that in order to make my own Amla oil I'd need to buy the amla fruit (I think). If I had time I would definitely give it a try.

I'm always trying something new because nothing I've tried has met with great success. Now I'm trying blow drying with a comb attachment every 2-3 weeks and wearing in braids or twists in the meantime. We'll see if this helps reduce tangling and knots, the combing out of which breaks my hair off.

mwedzi this is what I'm finding if I finger comb I'm fine but if I use a comb I get all manner of breakage. Even when I've sat for hours detangling before hand :perplexed

Mazza64 you may have already said (sorry for interjecting my 2 cents) but have you tried using seamless combs? I use the 222 from hairsense.com and LOVE it!

Hey @Allandra! Since our last convo, I've been getting my drink on....with water that is! :grin:

I have realized lately that some of my shed hair has been wrapping around the ends of my hair and is causing a lot of tangles and knots. I am strictly a fingercomber :look: which worked fine when my hair was shorter but since I'm pretty much MBL I think I am going to have to use a comb (seamless comb)to detangle. My question is do you experience alot of tangles and knots since you use a comb to detangle?

Last edited:
Allandra, thanks! I am currently arm pit length. My ultimate hair length goal is waist length. My staple products are ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Elasta QP's Olive Oil & Mango Moisturizer, and coconut oil. I haven't found a staple poo & conditioner as of yet. Do you have any suggestions???
Julessy

I found my staples by trial and error. I listed my products in this thread, and they work well for me.

I am trying to achieve full shoulder length and I have been struggling to retaing length for the past two year I know my hair grows but it ha not been retaining as well as my first year natural and I don't know why. it is frustrating. I have done major cuts in between but I feel like my hair should have grown out by now oh well. I will continue to see what I can do to help change that ;)
larry3344 Do you have staple products and a set regimen? Are you protecting your ends to help with retaining length?

i am working on wearing curly roller and rod sets for low manipulation. this worked for me in the past. it helps me keep my hands out and use less product. it also allows me to go a week before washing again instead of 2x a week.

i also am going to get a nozzle applicator to moisturize and seal my new growth, so it won't mess up my curls. i am looking for some satin headbands for when my hair gets crazy looking.

i used this method years ago, when i relied on the salon to take care of my hair. i would just get a rod or roller set once a week. if some of my curls were mushed from sleeping, i would just roll that piece back up with a dab of water, so my style would last. i was able to grow my hair past APL before i decided to go crazy and get a pixie cut.

i have really good products, but i am a product junkie by nature. i do want to invest in a steamer for my conditioning treatments. i am recovering from protein overload and i have low porosity. i also want to get a steamer to help me stretch my relaxers more. my last relaxer was the beginning of this month and i want to stretch until the end of April. that will be my next trim as well.
shortdub78 I'm glad you have a regimen that works for you. What is your current length? What is your goal length? Do you always wear your hair out?

Lita

I didn't have my hair flat ironed this month, but I'm going to get it flat ironed next month. I'm approaching tbl, but I'll know exactly once it's flat ironed. Do you straighten your hair from time to time? It's so pretty.

Allandra Thanks for the compliment/I'm blushing...I flat ion once in a blue moon/or use a old fashion hot comb with heat protectant...Sabinio moisture block is my favorite.. I also use chi & one-n-only..

Happy Hair Growing!

Hey @Allandra! Since our last convo, I've been getting my drink on....with water that is! :grin:

I have realized lately that some of my shed hair has been wrapping around the ends of my hair and is causing a lot of tangles and knots. I am strictly a fingercomber :look: which worked fine when my hair was shorter but since I'm pretty much MBL I think I am going to have to use a comb (seamless comb)to detangle. My question is do you experience alot of tangles and knots since you use a comb to detangle?
DesignerCurls

Way to go on drinking that water girl. :up:

I was never one to be able to finger comb through all of this hair, so I always use a comb for detangling (gotta keep those shed hairs outta there). I don't experience a lot of knots, but I get the regular tangles from shampooing my hair. When I shampoo my hair, it's always done in the shower with my hair hanging down (to not disturb my hair too much).

I keep it simple. I co wash multiple times a week using Suave or Aussie's conditioner. I use KKKT leave in and seal with raw Shea butter and I twist every night and use a satin bonnet. I apply EVOO in the morning. I shampoo once a month with Grand Poo Bar and deep condish every two weeks with Aussie's deep condish. I went from a fade to shoulder length hair in less than a year.

@Allandra Thanks for the compliment/I'm blushing...I flat ion once in a blue moon/or use a old fashion hot comb with heat protectant...Sabinio moisture block is my favorite.. I also use chi & one-n-only..

Happy Hair Growing!
Lita

I have Sabino MB in my hair care stash. It's a wonderful product although I don't use serums as much these days). Please post some pics the next time you straighten your hair.

I keep it simple. I co wash multiple times a week using Suave or Aussie's conditioner. I use KKKT leave in and seal with raw Shea butter and I twist every night and use a satin bonnet. I apply EVOO in the morning. I shampoo once a month with Grand Poo Bar and deep condish every two weeks with Aussie's deep condish. I went from a fade to shoulder length hair in less than a year.
KoriKiyomi

Nice and simple. I love it! Your hair is growing good. Keep up the good work.

I've been lurking in this thread.. I BC'd almost 1 year ago (down to 1inch) and I'm happy with my growth, BUT I feel like I could have retained more. I did a trim back in October but aside from that I haven't cut my hair. I don't necessarily measure w/ a ruler.. right now, when pulled, my bangs come to the bottom of my nose and my nape comes to the top of my shoulder. I don't really have a regimen but I'm trying to create one. I'm kind of haphazard, especially because I run/workout and the easiest thing for me to do is throw my hair into a bun/puff each morning... but my ends always seem frazzled. SO I'm on the mission to find a convenient style that is flattering, works with my lifestyle and will help me retain length. I don't do wigs/weave etc. I'm going to research mini twists and might try those this weekend. I think I've found my HG shampoo in Terresentials.. still searching for errythang else tho. lol (DC, leave in, moisturizer). I love hemp oil and add it to ever DC.

Sorry for the ramble.. you ladies giving advice are so kind for sharing your routine and what's been working for you. :yep:

shortdub78 I'm glad you have a regimen that works for you. What is your current length? What is your goal length? Do you always wear your hair out?

i am currently knocking on APL my goal this year is BSL. i wear my hair out but i clip it or bun in the back depending on the size of my curls. i tried protective styles and i just cant seem to get that right. i do too much or use too much product.

I've been lurking in this thread.. I BC'd almost 1 year ago (down to 1inch) and I'm happy with my growth, BUT I feel like I could have retained more. I did a trim back in October but aside from that I haven't cut my hair. I don't necessarily measure w/ a ruler.. right now, when pulled, my bangs come to the bottom of my nose and my nape comes to the top of my shoulder. I don't really have a regimen but I'm trying to create one. I'm kind of haphazard, especially because I run/workout and the easiest thing for me to do is throw my hair into a bun/puff each morning... but my ends always seem frazzled. SO I'm on the mission to find a convenient style that is flattering, works with my lifestyle and will help me retain length. I don't do wigs/weave etc. I'm going to research mini twists and might try those this weekend. I think I've found my HG shampoo in Terresentials.. still searching for errythang else tho. lol (DC, leave in, moisturizer). I love hemp oil and add it to ever DC.

Sorry for the ramble.. you ladies giving advice are so kind for sharing your routine and what's been working for you. :yep:
@tapioca_pudding

Well, I'm glad you stopped lurking and decided to join us. :)

Mini twists may work out well for you. Please let us know if you decide to give it a go, and let us know how it works out for you. Once you create / find a regimen that works for your life style, hair care will be a breeze.

I love the sharing on this forum. :)

I have been cornrowed under a wig for 2 months, now I am doing 4 weeks at a time, and need to take it down and wash this weekend, not sure if I want to use the wig again, even though this gives me the best growth, I am natural now, the longest I have been is APL, when I was relaxed, very thin and relaxed, getting a little bored now, may need to buy a new wig, or try a phony pony for a minute not sure, :ohwell:

I think my road to long hair was tough. But in the end I figured out what works.

I use Mane & Tail Conditioner for $3.99 at Walmart as my staple prepoo, rinse out and leave in. That stuff works. I went from ear length to shoulder length to almost MID back length. I'm very happy.

I wear a bun about three days after wash day. Then repeat.

Oh and I deep condition with each wash. I use Keracare Humecto and or another deep moisturizing conditioner and I keep my ends clipped by doing the trims myself. This process works!

lana, I have some Mane & Tail condish in my stash. Do you let it sit on your hair for 10 minutes before you wash? How exactly do you use it?

Poohbear

Anytime hun.

When I moisturize my hair (prior to putting it in my protective style that will last me 5 to 7 days), I make sure to moisturize it well since I don't take it down for a while. In the meantime, I spray it with plain ole water.

Have you ever tried braiding your own hair and wearing it like that for a week or so? Of course twists are good too (wish I had the time / patience to sit back and twist my hair).

If you ever decide to try a bun, just don't make it tight. I never make my tight (just smooth it out and make it look neat with a little gel and a scarf).

Yes, I've tried braids before but the next day, the braids do not look right on me. After that one time, I decided never to braid my hair again. My braids do not hang straight. the ends curl/curve up and then shrink. Plus, braids take forever to style and forever to unravel. Twists are easier and less time consuming for me.

When I wear a bun, it is not tight. I just think no matter how loose or tight my bun is, it is still causing stress on my hair strands, especially since I have uneven hair lengths.

Great topic!

I've been PSing almost non-stop for the past year and only managed to gain, grow or hold on to a few inches. I actually don't know my fast my hair is growing so I don't know if I'm just a very slow grower or my hair is breaking off.

Also...

*No heat
*Moisturize and deal daily
*No bleaching or dyes (except henna)
*Maintain moisture/protein balance

Not sure what else to do. My hair is the same length now as it was during the summer.

Could it be I've reach my terminal length at U-shape BSL?

greenandchic looking at your hair this is what I think. I think you need to leave the protein alone is you are using henna on your hair. I think that if you are brushing your hair you need to stop that and just finger comb your hair. I use to have the same problem until I found out that my hair didn't like protein. once I cut it out of my life I have seen retention like never before. My hair was at the same length for about 5 yrs and I never knew what it could be. I only henna once a month because I don't want to over do it and I make sure all my products I use if for moisture. I am telling you it made a great difference in my hair.

I have been cornrowed under a wig for 2 months, now I am doing 4 weeks at a time, and need to take it down and wash this weekend, not sure if I want to use the wig again, even though this gives me the best growth, I am natural now, the longest I have been is APL, when I was relaxed, very thin and relaxed, getting a little bored now, may need to buy a new wig, or try a phony pony for a minute not sure, :ohwell:
tryingto

How is the 4 weeks at a time working out for you? Are you able to moisturize your hair really good? If you're getting bored with the wigs, try some of the protective styles members have listed in this thread. Do you have staple products?

I think my road to long hair was tough. But in the end I figured out what works.

I use Mane & Tail Conditioner for $3.99 at Walmart as my staple prepoo, rinse out and leave in. That stuff works. I went from ear length to shoulder length to almost MID back length. I'm very happy.

I wear a bun about three days after wash day. Then repeat.

Oh and I deep condition with each wash. I use Keracare Humecto and or another deep moisturizing conditioner and I keep my ends clipped by doing the trims myself. This process works!
lana

It sounds like you are doing great. Are you natural or relaxed. Having staple products is wonderful.

I'm:

-keeping my hair in braids for 2-3 weeks at a time
-daily cowashing-
-weekly steaming with deep conditioning
-daily moisturizing with sealing
-using dye to open up my low porosity hair.

I'm:

-keeping my hair in braids for 2-3 weeks at a time
-daily cowashing-
-weekly steaming with deep conditioning
-daily moisturizing with sealing
-using dye to open up my low porosity hair.
TopShelf

Your routine sounds so nice and moisturizing. Do you style your braids in any particular way? Are you natural or relaxed? Length? Goal Length?

Shadiyah said:
greenandchic looking at your hair this is what I think. I think you need to leave the protein alone is you are using henna on your hair. I think that if you are brushing your hair you need to stop that and just finger comb your hair. I use to have the same problem until I found out that my hair didn't like protein. once I cut it out of my life I have seen retention like never before. My hair was at the same length for about 5 yrs and I never knew what it could be. I only henna once a month because I don't want to over do it and I make sure all my products I use if for moisture. I am telling you it made a great difference in my hair.

I henna once a month too and that's made a difference. Actually protein stopped the excessive breakage. I used Aphrogee 2-Step, but its been a while since I've used it since I started using henna again. I haven't used AO GOV in a while either.

I don't use a brush and started combing again recently because my hair was locking up with finger combing... I may have been doing it wrong.

@TopShelf

Your routine sounds so nice and moisturizing. Do you style your braids in any particular way? Are you natural or relaxed? Length? Goal Length?

I'm a natural 4a/b and I pretty much keep it like this:
100MEDIA_IMAG1136.jpg

My goal length is BSB. This is the longest its ever been but this was when I was relaxed, so I'm confident I can reach my goal.
DSCN0846.jpg

My only fear now is giving myself trims or S&D's

Back