For those wanting long hair...

Poohbear, I'm so enjoying your posts with Allandra. I have some of the same hair issues as well. I decided to leave the heat alone as well. Right now I'm wearing twists underneath a curly wig and I plan to do so for the rest of the year. I was manipulating my hair way too much before and my hair responded with breakage. I have fine strands as well and they don't like to be touched too much.

I look forward to your successful journey from this point on.
I hope you and Allandra don't mind me being all up in your post.
I'm cleaning out my 'product' closet today.

Thank you for this thread it feels like when you are in school and the teacher goes around the class making sure everyone got the lesson. THANK YOU. I wish someone with fine WSL hair would do this although the fine WSL answers are on the board somewhere anyway.

Allandra your hair is beautiful and it looks thick and heavy, you've done a great job time and time again. Kudos.

I have BSL fine hair that is straggly. I am always cutting it to get an even look. It splits at the drop of a dime and is very challenging to retain length. On top of all of that I have gray hairline that must be colored. I use henna from time to time but I really need a hi-light here an there to give me the look I like. So maybe you could help a fine hair sista's out, I wear buns all the time however I comb my hair daily so my take away from you is to wear a protective style that does not require daily touching, so for me that will be a single braid. My desired length is BSL full ends.

Do you consider roller set a protective style?
gn1g - Thank you for the compliment, and you are welcome. :)

I consider a protective style a style where the ends of one's hair are not exposed. I don't comb my hair daily because I like to keep it simple, and of course it does save me some time. :grin: If you're wearing a single braid, I hope you're moisturizing the ends well. Would you opt for tucking the ends under so they're not exposed? Maybe this could help you out with retaining length.

@Allandra I tell you nothing but the truth. :lachen: I do not have a clarifying shampoo but I did accidently washed my hair with hand soap. It was 2 clock in the morning. I fell asleep with my pre-poo and my ayurvedic conditioner mixture on top of the pre-poo. See I hadn't had a good night sleep for a few days. I had hurt my back and neck. On top of that I had a wisdom tooth coming in. Yeah 40 yrs old and getting a wisdom tooth. I was prescribed some pain killers. I steamed with the pre-poo and decided since my hair was slopping wet why don't I just go ahead and dc with my conditioner mixture. I learned here that if you have low porosity you need to use heat. So I put my heating cap on. Meds kicked in and I woke up 5 hours later. Its 2:00 am and I have pt at 4:30 a.m. Now of course you know that bhrigrahj sp?, brahmi and kalpi tone mixed together gives of an awful smell. So knowing I was about to get my sweat on this mess has to get washed out. So I go to the shower closest to my room and there isn't any hot water. Now I have to walked all the way to the other shower. I take that long walk to shame. Get in the shower and guess what. I left my dang poo bar. So I grabbed the handsoap. :nono: So of course I am all paranoid later on that day. I get on LHCF crying about what my dumb butt did. :cry2:
So that's my clarifying session. Here is the list of ingredients to the hand soap :lol: water, coconut acid, oleic acid, sodium sulfate, ethanolamine, cocamide DEA, sodium laureth sulfate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, butylene glycol, propylene glycol, soyamide DA, soyamidopropyl betaine, terasodium EDTA, tocopheryl acetate, hydroxypropyl methylcellose, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynl butylcarbamate triclosan.

This is the closest to clarifying that I came too. What do you think? I know I'm a little off. :nuts:
GIJane

Nope, you're not off, but you are quite funny and have me over here giggling. Well, I know hand soap will definitely clarify. I hope you moisturized and detangled well (because that stuff can cause some fierce (yes, I said fierce :giggle: ) tangles. I haven't used any clarifying shampoo in quite a while because I haven't had a need to (since I haven't used my Sabino MB in a long while). A long time ago, I used Suave clarifying shampoo (because I read about it here). I also used to use a mixture of acv (apple cider vinegar) and water (more water than acv) to make sure my hair was free of gunk (but I did NOT do acv and water mix when I used clarifying shampoo).

In order to check my hair situation, I straightened the nape of my hair. The picture is in my siggy. I compared it to my last length check slightly less than two months ago and it appears that I have retained some length. I checked my ends and they were split free with just a few SSK's. During the process my hair continued to break. This week I am going to clarify my hair (alma and shikakai), do an intense protein treatment (henna, yogurt, egg, avocado, aloe), then follow up with an intense moisturizing DC (lustrasilk cholesterol, lekair cholesterol, honey, evoo). Hopefully the breakage stops after all of this.

Btw, anything else I can add to my moisturizing DC that would make it more moisturizing?
@chevere62

I'm glad you retained that length.

I'm not sure what else you can add to make it more moisturizing. I don't mix anything in my conditioner. Have you been using this combination for a while? Has it been working well for you? I'm just not one to mix and stuff. I just use things the way they are to see if it works for me. How moisturizing are your protects without adding anything to them?

@Allandra and @Poohbear, I enjoyed the post between you two. Poohbear asked the question that I wanted to know, Allandra, how are/were you able to grow your hair so quickly? I could definitely be wrong, but I feel like 3c hair grows easier. I have 4a/b and it always seems like I'm suffering or trying to recover from a setback. My latest one was mid shaft splits. UGH!! There is nothing in the world that can save mid shaft splits, other than a pair of scissors. I keep telling myself that I need some 'glue' to hold my strand together. Maybe I need to use a light protein and ceramides more often.

I'm getting rid of all these extra products that I have around here. I'm keeping it simple and I'll sick with AO conditioners because they have ceramides in them already.

I'm not using heat at all right now, so would an AO GPB treatment twice a month be too much?
yodie

I don't feel that's too much, because I use it weekly or bi-weekly. It's a mild protein.

Poohbear and I go way back. :yep:

@GIJane

Nope, you're not off, but you are quite funny and have me over here giggling. Well, I know hand soap will definitely clarify. I hope you moisturized and detangled well (because that stuff can cause some fierce (yes, I said fierce :giggle: ) tangles. I haven't used any clarifying shampoo in quite a while because I haven't had a need to (since I haven't used my Sabino MB in a long while). A long time ago, I used Suave clarifying shampoo (because I read about it here). I also used to use a mixture of acv (apple cider vinegar) and water (more water than acv) to make sure my hair was free of gunk (but I did NOT do acv and water mix when I used clarifying shampoo).

Thanks Allandra I was going to try that. But then I read that ACV closes the cuticles of the hair and being that I am low porosity I didnt think that was good for my hair. I am still debating on this.

@gn1g - Thank you for the compliment, and you are welcome. :)

I consider a protective style a style where the ends of one's hair are not exposed. I don't comb my hair daily because I like to keep it simple, and of course it does save me some time. :grin: If you're wearing a single braid, I hope you're moisturizing the ends well. Would you opt for tucking the ends under so they're not exposed? Maybe this could help you out with retaining length.

Allandra How often are you detangling your hair and when do you detangle. Also what do you use to detangle?

I'm an admirer of your hair. It's beautiful.

@Poohbear

Using heat once a month for me is keeping it at a minimum because when I transitioned, I used heat weekly / bi-weekly.

When I was relaxed, I grew my hair to waist length in about three years (starting from ear length or chin length (one or the other). Even in my relaxed days, I kept my hair regimen pretty simple, but back then when I started getting on hair boards (back in 1999), I was using a lot of different products because everything sounded good. :lol: Well, I got tired of having a bunch of stuff and always wondering what in the heck I was pick out of my collection to shampoo and condition my hair with (now that I only have a few products, this makes wash day SO MUCH more easier and convenient). By keeping my hair regimen pretty simple, it's made it easy for me to retain length. I'm a very plain / simple / no frills kind of girl, so having a simple regimen was the only thing that would ever work for someone like me (on top of that, I'm anal as heck). My hair type is mainly 3c, but I do have some 4a in the back. I used to low carb a lot, but I did a thread about stopping low carb and just doing low fat (because I just wasn't feeling low carb any more). This next thing I'd said over and over, and people here are probably sick of hearing me say it, but my main beverage is water. It's very rare that I drink anything else. I drink water throughout the day, everyday. But girl, I went out with some former colleagues on Sunday evening, and I had THE NERVE to order a damn Coke soda (without ice because I don't drink cold stuff, unless I'm splurging on a milk shake). When that Coke hit my taste buds, it was some kind of tasty. Even though I had it, and it was tasty, I hated that I had poured that crap (and two glasses at that) into my body (all that damn sugar :nono: ). Well, I had the jittery shakes the rest of the evening (because I normally don't consume caffeine). I only wear a few different protective styles, but I've never gotten bored with any of them, but this could be because I'm plain / simple / no frills kind of girl.

How has your hair done when moisturizing it well and leaving it alone (for up to 5 to 7 days at a time)? Here's what I did to my hair on Sunday:

1. put Aubrey Organics GPB on my dry hair and put on a plastic cap (for 15 minutes or so) My hair was already in two sections from my previous style (yep, two flat twists), and I did these steps to my hair in two sections (like always).

2. rinse out AO GPB (about 5 minutes of rinsing)

3. shampoo hair in the shower with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo (I dilute my shampoo in a color applicator bottle and apply it to my scalp, as the suds will go down the length of the hair)

4. rinse my hair (about 5 minutes of rinsing)

5. condition my hair with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner and pin up (then take my shower)

6. rinse my hair (only a couple of minutes)

7. apply Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner

8. apply Qhemet BRBC

9. do two flat twists and pin up (yes, in the shower, because when I step out, I want to be done with my hair)

I tie it up at night (with one of those satin like scarfs). In the morning, I take my scarf off and mist my hair with plain water from a spray bottle. I put my scarf back on until I'm done getting dressed.

Sorry for rambling on so much. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

wow i love the simplicity of your regiment!!! the simple the best!

@Allandra

I did not think you rambled. I also remember the days when you had waist length relaxed hair and I even remember asking you then about your relaxed hair routine when I had relaxed hair! :grin:

But anyway, after reading your reply, I am thinking I need to up my water intake. I used to drink alot of water when I was in college and water used to be my main beverage. Now, I sometimes drink Mountain Dew and other sugary drinks which is probably dehydrating my body and my hair.

I'm also a product minimalist but after joining LHCF, I did start to try new products but never became a product junkie. The problem I have is manipulating my hair alot and styling it differently all the time. That may be taking a toll on my tightly coiled hair.

When it comes to moisturizing my hair, I do not moisturize very often because of shrinkage. Also, just plain water dries out my hair. African Royale BRX Spray has been good at moisturizing my hair as well as S-Curl. Right now, I am using Shea Moisture products. The only time I ever moisturized my hair well and left it alone was when I was doing a bun challenge. I've never kept my hair in a bun consistently because I do not think it was the best style for my hair since I have fine strands. It would cause too much stress on my hair strands.

I think two strand twists may be the best route for me to go if I really want to retain length. This morning, I was looking back at my old picture albums and noticed my hair would retain length best when in twists. Even last year when I got a trim in March and kept my hair in twists for 3 months straight, I retained length. But after the 3 months, I used that daggone heat! I should've stayed with the twists for the rest of the year, but I was also a bridesmaid for my cousin's wedding in August 2011, and she wanted all of us to have straightened hair. We went to a salon in Detroit to get it straightened, and I think that one session with that stylist is what really killed my hair last year.

Right now, I'm wearing a twistout and will probably put my hair in twists tonight after work.

Again, thanks for you post! :)
Poohbear

Anytime hun.

When I moisturize my hair (prior to putting it in my protective style that will last me 5 to 7 days), I make sure to moisturize it well since I don't take it down for a while. In the meantime, I spray it with plain ole water.

Have you ever tried braiding your won hair and wearing it like that for a week or so? Of course twists are good too (wish I had the time / patience to sit back and twist my hair).

If you ever decide to try a bun, just don't make it tight. I never make my tight (just smooth it out and make it look neat with a little gel and a scarf).

@Poohbear, I'm so enjoying your posts with Allandra. I have some of the same hair issues as well. I decided to leave the heat alone as well. Right now I'm wearing twists underneath a curly wig and I plan to do so for the rest of the year. I was manipulating my hair way too much before and my hair responded with breakage. I have fine strands as well and they don't like to be touched too much.

I look forward to your successful journey from this point on.
I hope you and Allandra don't mind me being all up in your post.
I'm cleaning out my 'product' closet today.
yodie

Nope, of course I don't mind. :)

@Allandra How often are you detangling your hair and when do you detangle. Also what do you use to detangle?

I'm an admirer of your hair. It's beautiful.
BrownSkin2

After I deep condition, shampoo then condition (this is when I detangle my hair while it has conditioner on it). So, I either use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner.

Thanks for the compliment.

I DC'd (AO GPB), washed (Nixon on my scalp only) in twists today. I LOVE washing this way, much better than having my hair entirely loose. Afterwards I added leave in, undid each twist, used butter (Crisco or Tiiva's Naturals shea hemp butter) and I'm in love!!

As most have been saying on this post, I am trying to reduce the heat I use dramatically. I am even trying to eliminate blow-drying, which is going to be a feat for me but I will try my hardest. It is essential for me to partake in low manipulation techniques as well since I am currently in the process of transitioning. I will usually detangle my hair with my fingers before washing, followed by a conditioner with good slip, and air drying at the end. Once my hair is about 70-80% dry, I simply put my hair in a bun and will leave it like that until the next wash only taking it down to moisturize and seal in between.

As most have been saying on this post, I am trying to reduce the heat I use dramatically. I am even trying to eliminate blow-drying, which is going to be a feat for me but I will try my hardest. It is essential for me to partake in low manipulation techniques as well since I am currently in the process of transitioning. I will usually detangle my hair with my fingers before washing, followed by a conditioner with good slip, and air drying at the end. Once my hair is about 70-80% dry, I simply put my hair in a bun and will leave it like that until the next wash only taking it down to moisturize and seal in between.
Julessy Nice and simple. I love it. What is your hair length now? What is your hair length goal? Do you have staple products? I love conditioner with good slip (makes detangling a breeze).

Hi everyone, newbie here :). I am so inspired by the long and beautiful hair I've seen here!! I started my hair journey a couple of months ago because I was sick and tired of dull looking coarse and unruly hair :( (I'm currently ear length at the back and sort of nose length at the front and middle) Since I started however I have been noticing slight changes in the look and feel of my hair (yeeeii). I'm still experimenting with products so my regimen isn't solid yet. Anyways I shampoo with AO honeysuckle rose shampoo and deepcondition with AO white carmella, ors replenshing pak and keracare humecto. I use ors hair mayo for protein. I moisturise and seal every 2days. In terms of protective styles I've been trying to bun as much as I can but I will be putting in twists with extensions this week so that should help. All advice is appreciated guys :). Oh yeah I'm relaxed.

Hi everyone, newbie here :). I am so inspired by the long and beautiful hair I've seen here!! I started my hair journey a couple of months ago because I was sick and tired of dull looking coarse and unruly hair :( (I'm currently ear length at the back and sort of nose length at the front and middle) Since I started however I have been noticing slight changes in the look and feel of my hair (yeeeii). I'm still experimenting with products so my regimen isn't solid yet. Anyways I shampoo with AO honeysuckle rose shampoo and deepcondition with AO white carmella, ors replenshing pak and keracare humecto. I use ors hair mayo for protein. I moisturise and seal every 2days. In terms of protective styles I've been trying to bun as much as I can but I will be putting in twists with extensions this week so that should help. All advice is appreciated guys :). Oh yeah I'm relaxed.
claudzie

I'm glad you've noticed good changes in the look and feel of your hair. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. It probably won't take you long to get a set regimen (especially since you're using some good products). One member recommended Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner to me, and I went to purchase it, and I came home with the wrong one (have heard nothing but good stuff about it). How do you like it? A lot of members do well with twists (since they're low manipulation).

claudzie

I'm glad you've noticed good changes in the look and feel of your hair. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. It probably won't take you long to get a set regimen (especially since you're using some good products). One member recommended Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner to me, and I went to purchase it, and I came home with the wrong one (have heard nothing but good stuff about it). How do you like it? A lot of members do well with twists (since they're low manipulation).

Yeah the white carmella feels good on my hair and leaves it soft too I like it so far. It took a little while to get use to the smell but now that I am its all good :)

Great topic!

I've been PSing almost non-stop for the past year and only managed to gain, grow or hold on to a few inches. I actually don't know my fast my hair is growing so I don't know if I'm just a very slow grower or my hair is breaking off.

Also...

*No heat
*Moisturize and deal daily
*No bleaching or dyes (except henna)
*Maintain moisture/protein balance

Not sure what else to do. My hair is the same length now as it was during the summer.

Could it be I've reach my terminal length at U-shape BSL?

I've been "stuck" at waist length (don't throw rocks at me) for a long time now. I think that this is my terminal length and I've made peace with it.

I have been enjoying my hair and leaving it down, but at night time I wrap my hair in a doubie and slap a satin bonnet on my noggin. My regimen is very simple:

• Amla treatments once a month
  • Shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo (right now I'm using L'Oreal) once a week
  • Deep condition for an hour of two (right now using Shea Moisture DC or AOHR mixed with a half cup of coconut oil and avocado oil)
  • Rollerset once a week
  • I use avocado oil on my hair to seal in moisture and also for shine
  • Trim once a year

That's pretty much it. I used to do wash and go's but I can't be bothered anymore. My hair tangles up too much and its aggravating me.

claudzie said:

claudzie Welcome! Your regimen sounds good. How's your heat usage? I'm also relaxed :) HHJ!

Great topic!

I've been PSing almost non-stop for the past year and only managed to gain, grow or hold on to a few inches. I actually don't know my fast my hair is growing so I don't know if I'm just a very slow grower or my hair is breaking off.

Also...

*No heat
*Moisturize and deal daily
*No bleaching or dyes (except henna)
*Maintain moisture/protein balance

Not sure what else to do. My hair is the same length now as it was during the summer.

Could it be I've reach my terminal length at U-shape BSL?
greenandchic

Is there any way you can take a closer check starting now and into the next few months to see if your hair is actually breaking off or not?

You're natural, right?

I've been "stuck" at waist length (don't throw rocks at me) for a long time now. I think that this is my terminal length and I've made peace with it.

I have been enjoying my hair and leaving it down, but at night time I wrap my hair in a doubie and slap a satin bonnet on my noggin. My regimen is very simple:

• Amla treatments once a month
  • Shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo (right now I'm using L'Oreal) once a week
  • Deep condition for an hour of two (right now using Shea Moisture DC or AOHR mixed with a half cup of coconut oil and avocado oil)
  • Rollerset once a week
  • I use avocado oil on my hair to seal in moisture and also for shine
  • Trim once a year

That's pretty much it. I used to do wash and go's but I can't be bothered anymore. My hair tangles up too much and its aggravating me.
BostonMaria

What are amla treatments?

How long have you been at waist length?

Allandra

I buy Amla powder (the oil STINKS) and add water, coconut milk, and avocado oil. I mix it into a paste and apply it all over my hair. It's very moisturizing and my hair loves it. A box of Amla is $4 bucks and I get 2 uses out of it so it's very cheap.

hmmm... I think since Jan 2011. I can't remember but it's been a while. I was past WL for a little while and I just cut about 2 inches so I'm at WL again. It's ok though because I don't mind this length. Plus I am getting lazy with my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@Julessy Nice and simple. I love it. What is your hair length now? What is your hair length goal? Do you have staple products? I love conditioner with good slip (makes detangling a breeze).

Allandra, thanks! I am currently arm pit length. My ultimate hair length goal is waist length. My staple products are ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Elasta QP's Olive Oil & Mango Moisturizer, and coconut oil. I haven't found a staple poo & conditioner as of yet. Do you have any suggestions???

Last edited:
greenandchic

Is there any way you can take a closer check starting now and into the next few months to see if your hair is actually breaking off or not?

You're natural, right?

Yes, I am natural. I thought about doing a color test since my natural hair is too dark to tell if there is any growth, but I don't really know how to work with hair color that lightens.

Since I started baggying a few weeks ago, I noticed less breakage in general. I will try to find a way to measure...

Yes, I am natural. I thought about doing a color test since my natural hair is too dark to tell if there is any growth, but I don't really know how to work with hair color that lightens.

Since I started baggying a few weeks ago, I noticed less breakage in general. I will try to find a way to measure...

greenandchic
How often do you trim and dust your hair?

I am trying to achieve full shoulder length and I have been struggling to retaing length for the past two year I know my hair grows but it ha not been retaining as well as my first year natural and I don't know why. it is frustrating. I have done major cuts in between but I feel like my hair should have grown out by now oh well. I will continue to see what I can do to help change that ;)

@Allandra

I buy Amla powder (the oil STINKS) and add water, coconut milk, and avocado oil. I mix it into a paste and apply it all over my hair. It's very moisturizing and my hair loves it. A box of Amla is $4 bucks and I get 2 uses out of it so it's very cheap.

hmmm... I think since Jan 2011. I can't remember but it's been a while. I was past WL for a little while and I just cut about 2 inches so I'm at WL again. It's ok though because I don't mind this length. Plus I am getting lazy with my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Have you tried making your own oil? If you make it yourself it doesn't smell as bad. I won't purchase another bottle. I'll just stick to making mine

Back