For those taking MSM powder...

pinayprincess

doesn't it taste HORRENDOUS?

Well, I found a way around it! I just dump half a teaspoon in a 24 oz bottle of water, twice a day! That way I get my water in, my MSM in, and it's distributed evenly throughout the day. This is ideal, as opposed to bombarding my body (and tastebuds) all at once. I also find that 1/2 tsp of MSM is absolutely TASTELESS when absorbed into water. My measurement is 1/4 tsp=1,000 mg MSM. Therefore, I take in about 4,000 a day. The water solution also wards off any cystic acne that might accompany it. Just wanted to offer u girls a nice alternative, if you didn't already know! :D

~Ranika

I've been taking mine like this from the beginning just because I was taking it at the same time I was mixing some Crystal Light in a bottle of water. That's what gave me the idea.

I cant stand it in water.:eek: I did that for the first couple of days I was takin it but now I just put some in the cap and take it like a shot w/ milk or cranberry juice in the AM. That helps to cover up the taste from the MSM. I could never dissolve it all the way in water!!!

pinayprincess said:
MSM tastes...unbelievable. I don't know how you do it, HD....

Well, I could not take the one that I bought from Vitamin Shoppe. It was their brand. It was just too gross. It left a very bad taste in my mouth. That's how I know that not all these MSM formulations are the same.

that's how i've taken it from the beginning. the more water the less taste. i take a teaspoon with water. if i'm in a rush i just knock back and drink OJ or AJ right after. it goes away.

I was taking the powder but I was too lazy to mix up my brew most days so I switched to the pills. But what I did was mix 1 tsp of MSM with 4 oz of water (in a 8 oz cup), a shot of lime juice, and topped it off with diet Ocean Spray Cranberry juice. That usually killed the taste so I could get it down

I have been taking a tablespoon in a 20 ounce bottle. I drink it throughout the day, and don't even notice the taste. But that initial drink in the morning is pretty bad, so I also make up a 20 ounce bottle of Tang and alternate between the two until I've finished them both off.

I mix it in a small amount of orange juice, and drink through a straw. I put the straw as far back as possible so the juice only flows over the back of my tongue. It's quick and easy.

And I have (yet another) MSM testimony. I had a gash on one of my knuckles that did not heal quite right even after using neosporin. The scar was white and sort of raised and has been there like that for about 6 months. 2 weeks after using MSM (4g), it flattened out and filled in with pigment. I can still see the scar there, but my DH can't see it at all!!!:D I love this stuff...

Last edited:
I take mine straight to the head. And I take a tablespoon of it. It tastes bad but I'm so used to it that I don't mind now.

FeelinIt said:
I take mine straight to the head. And I take a tablespoon of it. It tastes bad but I'm so used to it that I don't mind now.

Yeah. I am used to it now but I still make faces after I take it. :)

Brownshugaz said:
take it in orange juice. it totally kills the taste

Absolutely! :yep: I don't even bother with anything else any more. I've tried it straight up, with grapefruit juice, apple, cranberry, water, lemonade, tea, grape, V8, carrot, etc., etc., etc., and nothing beats orange juice for its taste-masking abilities. I just mix 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of MSM in a half to one full cup of Simply Orange a couple of times a day and get my daily doses of Vit. C to boot!

Legend said:
Absolutely! :yep: I don't even bother with anything else any more. I've tried it straight up, with grapefruit juice, apple, cranberry, water, lemonade, tea, grape, V8, carrot, etc., etc., etc., and nothing beats orange juice for its taste-masking abilities. I just mix 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of MSM in a half to one full cup of Simply Orange a couple of times a day and get my daily doses of Vit. C to boot!

OJ or Crystal Light (sugarfree) are my favorites.

pinayprincess said:
so, im curious as to how many milligrams of MSM you guys take. for me it's 4,000mg/tsp.

I usually take 4,000-5,000 mg/day. I usually break it into two doses of 1/2 teaspoon each serving.

I put it in my tea in the morning...but for people taking more than 1500 mg a day..do you find that 4000mg has better effects?

leggylana said:
I put it in my tea in the morning...but for people taking more than 1500 mg a day..do you find that 4000mg has better effects?

I've read somewhere that 3000-8000mg is considered "therapeutic" amount and less than that is maintenance. But I think it may depend on diet and how deficient you are in MSM to begin with. The sudden disappearance of my scar convinced me I'm at least somewhat deficient, so I will probably keep increasing my dosage until I see maximum benifits.

Back