The wonders of MSM - My take on it

that is amazing katie, way to go, I dont want softer new growth I just want growth and alot of it, and less shedding I have alot more results for MSM liquid GNC, but I think I have to give this Vitamin shoppe brand a try too, I will increase my mg if I know it will give me some growth and help me keep my lenght, I have been taking between 2,000 mg-10,000 mg daily, no Vitamin C, just with juice cant take it with water,
nono.gif
, I have been taking it since the 17 of feb, so I will give it some time, does the Brand of MSM matter, is VS a good brand thanks

I don't want to change my texture - I love it.
smile.gif

But I would like healthier hair. I read before that African American hair had a shortage of low sulfur protein, and it sounds like MSM combats brittleness, dryness, etc. by adding this to the body. Does anyone know of any natural sources of MSM? Like certain foods that are high in MSM? I'm wary of pills.

What were the effects of the MSM on the Artritis. My mother and my best friend has RA. I'd like to know. I already take it but I am going to up my dosage.
DwnSouthGirl said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
Any noticeable changes yet Allandra??

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Headaches.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What an ugly side effect!
shocked.gif
How many mcgs are you taking daily? I originally started taking MSM for rhuematoid arthritis and discovered the hair and nail growth as a side benefit. Anywho, I hope you recover from those headaches soon!

Since the topic of MSM has come back up, I thought I'd bump this thread up...for people who want more info...

I love MSM. I'm halfway through a 1 year stretch and still it's smooth sailing. Before I could barely make it 12 weeks. MSM made my new growth look so much like my texturized hair I'm tempted to go natural. :yep: Then there's the other stuff. Like my allergies are gone, not reduced GONE. If I sneeze now it's because there's pepper around or because I have a cold. My knees rarely bother me and people think I'm 5 years younger than I actually am. I love MSM.

Last edited:
sareca said:
I love MSM. I'm halfway through a 1 year stretch and still it's smooth sailing. Before I could barely make it 12 weeks. MSM made my new growth look so much like my texturized hair I'm tempted to go natural. :yep: Then there's the other stuff. Like my allergies are gone, not reduced GONE. If I sneeze now it's because there's pepper around or because I have a cold. My knees rarely bother me and people think I'm 5 years younger than I actually am. I love MSM.

:eek: Same here!

I was prescribed allergy shots but now it doesn't even make sense to take them since I have NO symptoms and its not affecting me anymore.

Aalize said:
:eek: Same here!

I was prescribed allergy shots but now it doesn't even make sense to take them since I have NO symptoms and its not affecting me anymore.

Me too. I took allergy shots for about 6 months. They weren't helping and I was tired of getting stuck twice a week so I just decided just to take Zyrtec for the rest of my life. But no more...

thanks for bumping this up elle b. i just got my msm on friday :D i have horrible eye allergies and this is definitely and added benefit.

Do you think it would be beneficial for a teenager to take MSM? If it clears up skin, makes hair healthier and helps with allergies, would it be okay for a 13-year old to start taking it? What are your opinions ladies?

babygurl969 said:
Do you think it would be beneficial for a teenager to take MSM? If it clears up skin, makes hair healthier and helps with allergies, would it be okay for a 13-year old to start taking it? What are your opinions ladies?

I think you should talk to your parents and your family doctor before you start taking anything.

nataliehairisgrowing said:
So does it matter if I use capsule or powder ?? Because I was thinking about using the CVS brand taking 2000 mg a day with 1000 mg of Vitamin C .

I took the CVS brand and it worked GREAT for me. It's a good place to start if you are counting pennies or want to start out without spending lots of money.

Now I take another brand, but I still use the CVS brand in my conditioners, shampoos and in all the face masks, butters and mixes I make.

Country gal said:
Armyqt,

At your suggestion, I am now taking the MSM by Trimedica. Before I was taking vitamin shoppe MSM and it did not pass the float test. It also caused my skin to breakout. I know MSM will cause breakout initially because it is cleaning out the toxins. But the VS MSM just made my have awful breakouts.

I thought that it was supposed to sink.

LondonDiva said:
The headaches don't usually last long and it's best to lower the doseage and/or drink more water to combat this horrible side effect. It's a good sign of the toxins coming out of your system. The same thing occurs during the detox process in the body. I also experienced tiredness the first day or 2 from starting to take it. It's also best to take it after a meal or something. It's worse on an empty stomach in terms of the headaches factor.

This happened to me. I took it for the first time on Wed and I had a horrible headache for the rest of the day and much of Thurs too. I also had extreme fatigue on Thursday.

OH BOY...I THOUGHT VS MSM PASSED.
I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSE TO SINK AS WELL...
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE..I HAVE BEEN TAKING FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS.

yankgal007 said:
OH BOY...I THOUGHT VS MSM PASSED.
I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSE TO SINK AS WELL...
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE..I HAVE BEEN TAKING FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS.

From what I understand it is suppose to sink. The information that Sareca provided was to check the porosity of the hair and it's ability to absorb moisture.:)

**Please excuse me if this has been discussed**

I spent 20 minutes reading through this entire thread, and am eager to try MSM (I'm ALWAYS late when it comes to trends). Few questions:

1) Which brand is the most recommended by users of MSM?

2) What dosage is the most popular?

3) How do you take your MSM (with water, juice, food..etc)?

Thank you! :-)

Blackrican said:
**Please excuse me if this has been discussed**

I spent 20 minutes reading through this entire thread, and am eager to try MSM (I'm ALWAYS late when it comes to trends). Few questions:

1) Which brand is the most recommended by users of MSM?

2) What dosage is the most popular?

3) How do you take your MSM (with water, juice, food..etc)?

Thank you! :-)

Hi there,
I take vitamin world powdered MSM. I take 1/2 teaspoon which is about 3,000 mg, and I take it mixed in my Orange juice. Hope this helps. :)

I took MSM for about a month and a half, and the new growth was soooo soft, wavy like, but the acne was not a joke!:confused:

I don't think it sped up the growth rate like that of Biotin. MSM is something I'm not ina rush to take....

But I wonder if the MSM in the form of powder would have a different effect to that of the capsules?

Anybody seen a difference between the powder form and the capsules form?

My acne is moody - somedays I'm clear, and somedays I have 4 or 5 pop up out of nowhere. So, having said that, I am scared to try MSM. But, just because I'm scared to try, doesn't mean that I won't.

I am going to have a physical done on the 18th of April, and have my blood checked. After the results, I will start taking some vitamins, including MSM.

Back