The wonders of MSM - My take on it

Blackrican said:
My acne is moody - somedays I'm clear, and somedays I have 4 or 5 pop up out of nowhere. So, having said that, I am scared to try MSM. But, just because I'm scared to try, doesn't mean that I won't.

I am going to have a physical done on the 18th of April, and have my blood checked. After the results, I will start taking some vitamins, including MSM.

MSM requires a lot of water to flush out toxins since it's an antioxidant. In my experience, it's calmed breakouts and increased cell turnover. It's worth a shot.

LondonDiva said:
Hi Ladies.

I've been back on vits for close to a month now and taking quite a fair bit of powdered pure MSM mixed with water and I must say this stuff is amazing.
I'm at week 5 (week 6 I usually need a relaxer) and my new growth is SOFT compared to last months. I think depending on how the growth goes over the next month that I could double my relaxer touch up time purely being on this stuff alone. My shedding has reduced already dramatically and I'm not really doing anything differently to my hair. I've changed a few products but that's about it.

If you're not on MSM then you need to be. This stuff is my saving grace. It's about 4,000 mg to 1 5ml teaspoon of powder. I used to take the pure MSM before (8,000 mg daily) in the capsule but it seems to work better and absorp into my system better when mixed and taken with the water.

The NSI brand from vitacost is like $10.00 for an 8 month supply

ms jadu said:
Hey Ladies,

Ive been using MSM for about a week and a half. It maybe be too early to say results, but I must admit that my hair feels alot softer. as fas as pimples. there was a few at first, but I started drinking about 8 glasses of water daily. I take 2ooomg daily by Now Foods. I have no headaches, and after consuming water frequently, the zits soon went away. Oh, and my body doesnt ache as usual.

Do you all think that the acne occurs as a result of the body detoxifying itself through the skin? Has anyone noticed long-term acne that started or worsened when you first starting taking MSM?

MSM powder is nasty disgusting bitter to take mixed with water or any kind of juice. :perplexed

I've been taking MSM powder for years off and on, I love it too. What I do is put 1-2 tsp 2x per day in my hand pop it in my mouth and quickly wash it down with water. It's still gross but then it's done and over with.

whoever says it clears skin has been taking it for a while, or doesnt have terrible acne. when i started msn, oh my gosh, i had large ugly lumps under my skin. i was breaking out terribly. i know i would have to take it for 3 months for my skin to clear, but i would have been plastered in scars (my skin scars up easily)..

so i say nay to msm, if your vain like me and like to have clear skin

and isay yay, if you hair comes b4 your face

:)

i mix my MSM crystals in my protein shake when i blend it....is this okay ladies? also i dont drink as much water as im supposed to but i just started colonix..im on day 5 and while on it i am forced to drink 8 glasses of water daily ( havent mastered yet...the most ive consumed is 6 glasses which is way more than i used to drink) so this helps to avoid the acne caused by MSM seeing that i have acne prone skin...

Last edited:
Sar-I said:
Do you all think that the acne occurs as a result of the body detoxifying itself through the skin? Has anyone noticed long-term acne that started or worsened when you first starting taking MSM?

At the time yes, I do believe that the pimples were a result of the MSM detoxifying my body. When I first posted my results. my acne was minimal. It wasn't until 2 years later where my acne had turned cyctic which I believe resulted from internal factors such as my body always being dehydrated (college student days-tap water instead of bottle).

I had stopped taking MSM because I went natural and MSM interupted the curl pattern that I wanted to acheive. It made my hair wavy and not curly, which was not my hair goal. Overall MSM has good benefits and when your body gets immune to it, everything healthwise falls into place.

ETA: I started with large dosage which also contributed to my bumps. People often think that bigger dosages gives you superfast results. I didn't start small and allowed my body to get used to it.

Its great for me, within days my pores were tighter and my skin was clearer (my male friends were commenting and they dont notice a thing!!), i didnt pay that much attentionto my hair because i keep itlow, but the skin...amazing and may i add i blemish easily, but msm is the ish!. I take the a1msm (www.a1msm.com) brand.

ms jadu said:
At the time yes, I do believe that the pimples were a result of the MSM detoxifying my body. When I first posted my results. my acne was minimal. It wasn't until 2 years later where my acne had turned cyctic which I believe resulted from internal factors such as my body always being dehydrated (college student days-tap water instead of bottle).

I had stopped taking MSM because I went natural and MSM interupted the curl pattern that I wanted to acheive. It made my hair wavy and not curly, which was not my hair goal. Overall MSM has good benefits and when your body gets immune to it, everything healthwise falls into place.

ETA: I started with large dosage which also contributed to my bumps. People often think that bigger dosages gives you superfast results. I didn't start small and allowed my body to get used to it.

Thanks for the info. That is interesting-how it changed your curl pattern.

anybody notice a difference after they increased their dose? im at 1000mg a day. split in half. i take trimedica powder. i mix it with a bottle of water. i dont taste it at all.

if they're are more benefits to reap then i'd liketo increase. are there any??

right now my hair is definately changed in pattern.
Its very soft.
my joints and body feel wonderful. i been taking it for about a month.

should i increase?

For those who have increased ur dosage. What made you increase it? Did you notice even more changes? hair pattern loosenin even more? more skin changes then prior MSM dosage?

LondonDiva said:
Hi Ladies.

I've been back on vits for close to a month now and taking quite a fair bit of powdered pure MSM mixed with water and I must say this stuff is amazing.
I'm at week 5 (week 6 I usually need a relaxer) and my new growth is SOFT compared to last months. I think depending on how the growth goes over the next month that I could double my relaxer touch up time purely being on this stuff alone. My shedding has reduced already dramatically and I'm not really doing anything differently to my hair. I've changed a few products but that's about it.

If you're not on MSM then you need to be. This stuff is my saving grace. It's about 4,000 mg to 1 5ml teaspoon of powder. I used to take the pure MSM before (8,000 mg daily) in the capsule but it seems to work better and absorp into my system better when mixed and taken with the water.

I was thinking about this today. I am at week 10, I remember post MSM how I could not see my scalp when I part my hair at week 7. But I had to part my hair to apply my LR (use it up!) and my natural hair was hardly a problem. Plus my allergies are not rearing there ugly head. If in June when I am due for a touch up (stretching to 14wks) I might go longer.

I suffered from chronic neck pain and minor knee aches for many years. My neck pain was seriously affecting the quality of my life. No one understood what was going on, some said it was because of studying and looking down for hours and others said how I slept. Doctors and chiropractors couldn’t do anything to help. It knew it had to be more serious than that. I was often accompanied by tension headaches. Once I started taking MSM, completely gone. I stopped tacking it just to make sure and after a while that pain came back. I guess I have some form of arthritis or other joint condition that is severely affecting my neck. MSM was a Godsend. I have been taking 1000 mgs of the CVS brand.

I've been taking MSM for about 3 weeks now I guess. I started out taking 1000 mg, and now I take 2000 mg daily. I've noticed that my hair is growing out much softer, and nearly straight in some parts of my head. Some of the softness may be due to BT, but from what I've heard, BT does not change the texture.

Also, I almost immediately noticed that the sinus problems I routinely experience, esp. this time of year, have almost disappeared, and only surface occassionally - when I do have sinus trouble, it's only slight. About a week after I started taking it, I noticed that it helped my asthma too. I have exercise induced asthma, and normally would take an inhaler before working out. Even when I would take the inhaler, I still could never run without shortness of breath ... at best I could jog. Well I went to the gym, but couldn't find my inhaler ... I found that not only was I able to jog, but I could actually run on the treadmill for periods of time. I now am up to running 4.5 miles at a time! :eek: This is thrilling for me, since I've never been able to do this, and especially since I'm trying to lose weight now.

As long as I don't experience any adverse effects from MSM, I probably will continue to take it, even if I stop taking supplements for my hair. I really love these other health benefits that I'm experiencing so far.

InsatiableMe said:
I've been taking MSM for about 3 weeks now I guess. I started out taking 1000 mg, and now I take 2000 mg daily. I've noticed that my hair is growing out much softer, and nearly straight in some parts of my head. Some of the softness may be due to BT, but from what I've heard, BT does not change the texture.

Also, I almost immediately noticed that the sinus problems I routinely experience, esp. this time of year, have almost disappeared, and only surface occassionally - when I do have sinus trouble, it's only slight. About a week after I started taking it, I noticed that it helped my asthma too. I have exercise induced asthma, and normally would take an inhaler before working out. Even when I would take the inhaler, I still could never run without shortness of breath ... at best I could jog. Well I went to the gym, but couldn't find my inhaler ... I found that not only was I able to jog, but I could actually run on the treadmill for periods of time. I now am up to running 4.5 miles at a time! :eek: This is thrilling for me, since I've never been able to do this, and especially since I'm trying to lose weight now.

As long as I don't experience any adverse effects from MSM, I probably will continue to take it, even if I stop taking supplements for my hair. I really love these other health benefits that I'm experiencing so far.

Co-signing! MSM is a definite keeper! :up:

BUMPING FOR Questions

I can't figure out how you ladies take so much. I just started taking 500mg, and I have the worst headache. I can't imagine what 2,000mg or more would do to me.:spinning: I feel like this...:wallbash:. I'm going to give it a week, but I'm not liking this headache.

I am taking the VS brand, around 1000 to 2000mg per day. When I first started taking it about 2 months ago I was having a headache for the first week but that stopped. I am getting very sleepy with it though. I've been taking the capsules but I think I'm going to go and buy the powder form today.

Back