For Those Of You Who Use Lye Relaxers...

Which lye relaxer are you currently using?

• ORS

Votes: 25 12.3%
  • Mizani

Votes: 56 27.6%
  • Affirm

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Hawaiian Silky

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Design Essentials

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Vitale

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • Elucence

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Motions

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Optimum

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other, please specify...

Votes: 47 23.2%

• Total voters

twinkletoes17

Which lye brand do you use and why? Which strength?
Have you used others? Why have you stopped using them?

I'm sure I'll be switching to lye for my next relaxer. I'm so lazy; the constant moisturizing isn't for me unfortunately. I'm thinking about using ORS Lye... for now :)

Silk elements - regular (big burgundy tube)

I'm pretty sure my stylist has used others, but this is the one I've recently seen her use consistently (for a year). My hair has never been so shiny and straight in the past.

Silk elements - regular (big burgundy tube)

I'm pretty sure my stylist has used others, but this is the one I've recently seen her use consistently (for a year). My hair has never been so shiny and straight in the past.

Same here, I used to use mild, but I have moved to regular.

Oops, I should've added Silk Elements to the poll :S

I've heard good about that one as well. Do you buy it online or from a BSS? I haven't seen lye relaxers at any BSS, not even Sally's.

Which lye brand do you use and why? Which strength?
Have you used others? Why have you stopped using them?

I'm sure I'll be switching to lye for my next relaxer. I'm so lazy; the constant moisturizing isn't for me unfortunately. I'm thinking about using ORS Lye... for now :)

Elasta QP Lye Mild

Which lye brand do you use and why? Mizani Butter Blend
Which strength? Mild
Have you used others? Yes
Why have you stopped using them? Too harsh. MBB leaves my hair strong and literally like butter.

Which lye brand do you use and why? Elucence. it's very gentle and mild and i was texturizing/texlaxing my hair

Which strength? Normal

Have you used others? No. but i miss my natural hair so i'm transitioning

HAWAIIAN SILKY!!!! leaves my hair soft (in a non-damaged way), hair has more body and movement with this relaxer than it did with Silk Elements, Mizani, or ORS lye.

i use regular strength.

i stopped using the other 3 brands i listed because my hair felt rather lifeless after use (Compared to hawaiian silky). also, none of htem processed fully (except for ORS), because ALL THREE burned the mess out of my scalp. and each time, i thoroughly based my scalp, and avoided scratching. Silk Elements was the harshest to my scalp, in my opinion.

Try Hawaiian Silky Lye, i promise you, you'll like it!!

also, HSLye has botanial extracts in it, so it doesn't smell as relaxer-y as other relaxers. and it's a nice thick formula that won't run at all. i plan to continue using this.

I last used Motions regular only because it was the easiest lye relaxer to get my hands on. It seems to work just fine.

I've used both Silk Element and Hawaiian Silky in the past but they were a little too strong for my fine hair. I went back too PCJ lye.

Affirm Fiber Guard. I'm a self-relaxer and my hair thrives on this. It's not too strong or harsh, easily accsessible and it leaves my hair smooth, manageable and in a healthy state. Definitely a keeper for me.

Affirm Fiber Guard. I'm a self-relaxer and my hair thrives on this. It's not too strong or harsh, easily accsessible and it leaves my hair smooth, manageable and in a healthy state. Definitely a keeper for me.

Ditto....Affirm Fiberguard has been my favorite lye relaxer, hands down.

I use Alter Ego Linange Shea Butter

I have used

Mizani (only one for which I'm unsure of the kind)
Affirm
Motions
Motions with Herbal extracts
Design Essentials
Silk Elements
Nairobi
PCJ
(All regular strength)

Out of those, my favorites were Nairobi, Silk Elements, and Design Essentials.

I was fine with all of them and just used whichever was the most convenient until I tried the Alter Ego and noticed the PROFOUND difference. I tried using Affirm a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me why I will never use any of these relaxers again unless I am in DIRE need (like having a breakage setback and am 6 months + post).

1) They all burned me, except the Mizani, which I think was no-lye. I realized what I used to tolerate or think wasn't that bad in terms of burning and/or itching isn't necessary tolerate.
2) Some dried out my scalp, and while I didn't usually get extreme dandruff... my scalp was still dry and/or itchy
3) They left my hair seemingly beaten, and while not overprocessed.... my hair seemed processed. I realized that is also not necessary.
4) They felt unpleasant, and I realized a relaxer could feel almost refreshing.
5) Some got my hair too straight or caused shedding and/or thinning over time.
6) Some did not leave my hair feeling moisturized.

elasta qp is the only one for me! I've tried ors which was alright and vitale (the green, white and blue tub) and they just didn't...cut it. lol Elasta left me smooth silky and full of body!

My stylist used Design Essentials on me, and I really liked it. But when I started to self relax after moving to another state I started using Silk Elements Mild. I LOVE that relaxer. The pics below in my siggy are from fresh SE touch-ups. It never burns my scalp, it's gentle enough for my fine hair, and I always get good results.

Bumping!

are there any short haired ladies ( and i do mean short hair cuts) who use lye relaxers? do you self apply? if so what kind? Thanks!

I use mizani mild, and I love it! I use to use design essentials & motions when I went to my stylist, but after I moved I tried somebody else and they put a no lye in my hair and it was all down hill from there. Now I'm a self relaxer and don't plan on switching relaxers anytime soon :yep:

SE from Sally's. I use mild but mix it with a little oil and a little protein. I switched from Phyto no-lye. It was just too expensive and I wasn't getting as consistent results.

Back