For short haired ladies.....APL by Dec '09 Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in although I'm having a baby soon so my regimen will need to be extremely simple. Where and how do we post the pics?

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BABY!!!!! I know that pregnacy is hard on your hair. When I found out I was having twins I promise you the next day I cut my shoulder length hair to the Toni Braxton cut. Fast foward 5 yrs later and I am just between ear and chi length. Kids, hubby,work, school I had no time for me but now I am making time and I want my hair back and more.

You cant post to the "offical thread" in Jan. I am not the best person to explain how to attach a pic cause my DH does it for me but I think you just click on the paper clip (it means attach) and find the pic u want to attach. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Oh and welcome I have your name added.

When exactly is the start date for our challenge?

Hi, the offical start date is 01 Jan. 09. I just thought to start getting everyone ready and organized, maybe you have that special something or growth aid you have been wanting and Christmas is coming with this challenge you may want to ask Santa for it?????? Also I noticed a nuber of other 09 challenges have begun. I just wanted to get organized with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming I know if I mentioned it then I would not be so together and I hate doing something half azzed.

Glad you joined and that short hair cut is fierce!

I'm in ladies! My regimen will be as follows
Shampoo once a week.
DC 2to 3 times per week
Cowash every other day
Moisturize twice a day
Increase water intake
Multivitamin,prenatal vitamin, biotin, MSM, Flaxseed oil, and hair, skin, and nail vitamin daily
Megatek every other night

Thanks, it was hell tryna grow the back out.

Please do not mention Santa. I am on a personal no more haircare products til 09. I have gotten my family involved and everything, lol
Plus I have purchased enough stuff to last til March, if I am lucky:lachen:

Hi, the offical start date is 01 Jan. 09. I just thought to start getting everyone ready and organized, maybe you have that special something or growth aid you have been wanting and Christmas is coming with this challenge you may want to ask Santa for it?????? Also I noticed a nuber of other 09 challenges have begun. I just wanted to get organized with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming I know if I mentioned it then I would not be so together and I hate doing something half azzed.

Glad you joined and that short hair cut is fierce!

Let's get it (APL)! :yawn: I'm currently neck length will post starting pic in Dec. My reggie for now is DC once a week on Sat or Sun, Cowash 1-2 times a week, protective styles and no trim for a year.

Wow! Why did I get SOOOO excited when I saw this!:lachen:I'm definitely in!

My regimen is basically K.I.S.S.
Co-washing, roller-sets, & no direct heat

BackLength.jpg

I'm also in the SL by Dec '08 Challenge & K.I.S.S. until Dec '08
I'm in Kinky twists right now to help me achieve my goals. I'm taking them out around Thanksgiving.

Ok ladies for all of you asking about Emu Oil here is some info I copied from BJ's site (I hope I am giving credit to the right person). She own Hydrothermal Naturals she is also a RN as well as a liscensed cosmotologist. You go girl.
Sorry her name is Shelemah Cartwright and I hope I spelled it right.
Emu oil

Why did we add more emu oil to our Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion and Hair Growth Oil formulas?...........Please read below.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Derived from a substance that is produced by the Emu Bird.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Emu oil has been used for thousands of years in natural medicine and has internal and external healing properties. It is a deep penetrating natural moisturizer which penetrates the hair shaft / scalp quickly and easily. Once emu oil enters the hair's root, it acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory. This anti-inflammatory property helps to stimulate the hair's natural growing ability. Easily absorbed and does not sit on the top layer of the hair strand. Leaves the hair soft and shiny. Conditions and hydrates the scalp also. Studies have shown faster hair growth with the use of this oil. Known as the hair healer it awakens follicles with deep penetration! Excellent for moisturizing scalp and skin. Softens and smoothes while it conditions!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]According to Michael Holick, M.D., Ph.D., and Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine, hair follicles become 20% more active when emu oil is applied and hair thickens when emu oil is applied over time. The effects are cumulative. This suggest that Emu Oil plays a part in simulating growth by increasing scalp circulation.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Reported in Drug & Cosmetic Industry Magazine, January 1996
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Some of the benefits of Emu Oil
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Offers the hair and scalp extreme moisture (softens and hydrates)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Known to promote / stimulate hair growth
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Has Anti inflammatory, Anti Bacterial & Anti Microbial properties
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Penetrate deep into hair and scalp
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Emu Oil contains both Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids which help
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]to get hair to the 8% moisture level to prevent breakage
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Helps with minor skin irritation
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Soothes the scalp
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Known to prevent the onset of gray hair!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Known as the anti-aging emollient
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Emu Oil does not clog pores!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Help skin and hair to withstand colder climates
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Used to treat multiple skin ailments such as psoriasis, minor skin burns and Eczema
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm in! I'll be putting my pics up in my fotki (link in siggy and PW in profile) I'm starting today since I just took a length shot.

My reggie is super simple
Cowash daily
DC over night a couple times a week
shampoo on sundays
and protective style (for the sake of work 90% buns maybe cornrows every now and then)
No Growth Aides and I only plan to straighten on the first day of each qtr to check in

Thats about it.

Last edited:
im in, my regimen is
prepoo with, shakaki oil, alma oil, coconut oil,
wash with alma powder, neef powder, aritha powder, shakakai powder, wait ten mins and wash with shakaki shampoo bar
condition, or dc

get cornrows each 1-2 weeks,

ETA: i also use MT everynight, except when straight

pics
0928081250.jpg

0928081251a.jpg

0928081251.jpg

0928081240.jpg

Last edited:
Michiko are you still in New Orleans? I am orginally from there. I went to Xavier Prep and DH went to Bonnable and my brother went to 35

Michiko are you still in New Orleans? I am orginally from there. I went to Xavier Prep and DH went to Bonnable and my brother went to 35
not anymore, i live in minot nd, i went to Easton, DH went to the K

I want in!!! I'm currently in the MT/OCT challenge as well. My reggie is simple, I shampoo & dc once a week, & cowash 1 to 2 times a week, & apply MT or OCT to scalp nightly. I wear a bun daily. I'm also doing the Ayuverda hair care methods.

Last edited:
YAY!!!! This is what I need in my life, lol!! I am hoping to reach APL sooner than Dec. but any motivation is awesome. I will def. post my progress pic and regi. by Sunday, I'm takin out my braids this weekends to see my hair for the first time in 2 MONTHS!!!! See you all soon lol!

Is your DH AF? Mine is and we had orders to Minot and I said heck naw. We were able to trade with someone and we ended up in Oklahoma. People always say why not Minot>>>> I can give them plenty of reasons.

We are in Guam now. Been here for 6mos and got 2.5 yrs left.

YAY!!!! This is what I need in my life, lol!! I am hoping to reach APL sooner than Dec. but any motivation is awesome. I will def. post my progress pic and regi. by Sunday, I'm takin out my braids this weekends to see my hair for the first time in 2 MONTHS!!!! See you all soon lol!

Welcome Nnelove and girl your braids are so cute. I am getting mine this saturday and I cant wait.

Are you seeing any growth and retention from them

Last edited:
Is your DH AF? Mine is and we had orders to Minot and I said heck naw. We were able to trade with someone and we ended up in Oklahoma. People always say why not Minot>>>> I can give them plenty of reasons.

We are in Guam now. Been here for 6mos and got 2.5 yrs left.
no just me, this is my first duty station and i am mad

no just me, this is my first duty station and i am mad

I am sorry. How long do you have there? We have never been anywhere longer then 3 yrs. oh I take that back we were in Germany for 4 yrs but that is because we extended a year. They wanted us to PCS with 8wk old twins. CRAZY
We were in Oklahoma,Turkey,Germany,Alabama, and now Guam

I am sorry. How long do you have there? We have never been anywhere longer then 3 yrs. oh I take that back we were in Germany for 4 yrs but that is because we extended a year. They wanted us to PCS with 8wk old twins. CRAZY
We were in Oklahoma,Turkey,Germany,Alabama, and now Guam
3 yrs Nov 7th, im just praying to get orders

Hmmm....Mandy what you told me was quite helpful. I looked at your fotki too. My texture after a year of no relaxers and only braids in/out every two months looked exactly like your "stretched" hair in that second pic.
I am glad I could help:grin:

I would like to join too! I was SL but I cut my hair to NL to get rid of layers just yesterday. I have never been passed Collarbone so APL to me would be a dream come true. My goal was to be APL by 3/2009 but since the cut Dec 09 should definitley be enough time. I'll post my starting pic and reggie soon after I figure out what I'll be doing. I'm transitiong from a texlax also and still don't know what I wana do with my hair.
Don't worry! I hit NL this past Thursday, until I asked my stylist to cut the back to grow out the layers. What a big mistake!:wallbash::wallbash: So know i am back to EL. I won't worry, because the top os growing out. My goal was about SL August next year. But it may be by Dec. Hopefully, I will be a bit past that legth, Christmas next year!:grin:

I'm interested in joining... here is my pic.. I plan on keeping my hair in braids, kinky twists, and weaves....

Attachments

• 100_0981.jpg
    100_0981.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm in as well! I hope I can stick with this challenge cos I'm not very good at sticking....lol!
Anyways, I'm natural now and I'm not sure about my length but I think I'm between chin and just grazing shoulder length.
My regimen which is not much is:
Protective styling with braids, wiggin' it thus alternating the two styles.
Vitamins including one- a- day and msm.
Co-washing every week, MTG once in two days, spray with mix of condish, castor oil, jojoba oil and water.
I just started bagging again and I must say that it does keep my hair moisturized and really soft so I try to do this every day under my wig.
There, I think that's all.
Will post pics later for length check.
Thanks OP for starting this challenge. We can do this !

I'm in - I'm excited! :grin: Just started my hair journey about 4 weeks ago - I'm learning so much. I'm relaxed - photo in avatar. Really looked at my hair this weekend although I'm between NL & SL I've got some CL in there. Around the edges...uhm is IL (inch length) a length?? :blush: I got lots of work to do. I'll post a fresh pic when we officially start. I'm still experimenting w/products but here's my regi:

Co-wash 2-4/wk (depends on exercise, sweaty scalp = cowash)
DC 1x week - working towards 2x week
MT on scalp 4x week
Leave ins or moist, seal w/oil
Currently daily bunning or phony pony
After fresh relaxer will try roller setting

Let's get it!

Thank you karlap for starting this up. I would love to join this challenge. :)

I have produced an album specifically for this challenge.

It's in the "APL by Dec '09 Challenge" Folder No password

Last edited:
I'm in - I'm excited! :grin: Just started my hair journey about 4 weeks ago - I'm learning so much. I'm relaxed - photo in avatar. Really looked at my hair this weekend although I'm between NL & SL I've got some CL in there. Around the edges...uhm is IL (inch length) a length?? :blush: I got lots of work to do. I'll post a fresh pic when we officially start. I'm still experimenting w/products but here's my regi:

Co-wash 2-4/wk (depends on exercise, sweaty scalp = cowash)
DC 1x week - working towards 2x week
MT on scalp 4x week
Leave ins or moist, seal w/oil
Currently daily bunning or phony pony
After fresh relaxer will try roller setting

Let's get it!

:lachen:at the bolded. Gurl you got some IL and I got some FHL (forehead length) But we gonna do it to it.
Welcome

I'm in. (:
At the moment I'm a little past ear length too, and my long term goal is bsl but apl next year sounds good.

My current regimen is;
-washing and conditioning every 3 days
-redken leave in conditioner every day
-sealing with oil when needed
-protective styling (ponytail but bunning once it gets long enough)
-no heat
-one multivitamin and two hair, skin and nail vitamins a day.
-high protein diet
-plenty of water
-at least 20 mins exercise a day
-protein treatment when needed
-garlic treatment for shedding when needed
I don't plan to trim until I reach shoulder length and even then it will only be 1/4 inch or so.

Last edited:
Are any ladies stretching at the moment, if so how many weeks post are you, and when are you hoping to hold out for your next retouch?

I'm 11 weeks post and I'm hoping to stretch until December - pray for me, I'm gonna need it! :eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back