First time straightening hair in almost 2 years (pic heavy)

Your hair is the Biz-ness! Thick, long and healthy - just beautiful.

What was your starting point/length to growing out your hair to this point? What was your longest hair length before starting your HHJ (BSL, APL, etc)?

Thank you.

Here is my hair from 2004:
Edit1-vi.jpg

^^^^My hair was relaxed and damaged and around the shortest it had ever been. The next year I made it to BSL again and was pretty much stuck there due to needing frequent trims. In 2007 I decided to stop using heat and starting co washing and finger combing. This is when I made it to waist length and it grew quickly.

I've never had hair this long in my life. It grew around this length for the very first time in my life last year prior to cutting off the last 2-3 inches of damaged relaxed ends----so I didn't get to keep it. Prior to this the longest my hair had ever been was about waist length as a teenager.

I think out of all the things I do, finger combing has been extremely helpful. I think this helps me retain almost all of my length. I have no issues with breakage.

Last edited:
You are one of my inspirations to continue my transition. It can be done with patience and dedication. Absolutely gorgeous!

--By the way, you transitioned with WL hair, right? How hard was it to keep the two textures happy??

Last edited:
You are one of my inspirations to continue my transition. It can be done with patience and dedication. Absolutely gorgeous!

--By the way, you transitioned with WL hair, right? How hard was it to keep the two textures happy??

Thank you.

During my transition I simply co washed and only combed (mostly finger combed) my hair while wet and with conditioner. I also kept it up alot. This helped prevent breakage, but near the end of my transition the relaxed ends started feeling dry and began to split badly---they became damaged despite my efforts to prevent this. That's when I knew that it was time to cut them off.

Some people do well with relaxed hair but I'm not one of them. I find it much easier to keep my natural hair healthy. I also retain length much better as a natural. My hair NEVER grew this long while relaxed---it was stuck at bra strap.

Thank you.

During my transition I simply co washed and only combed (mostly finger combed) my hair while wet and with conditioner. I also kept it up alot. This helped prevent breakage, but near the end of my transition the relaxed ends started feeling dry and began to split badly---they became damaged despite my efforts to prevent this. That's when I knew that it was time to cut them off.

Some people do well with relaxed hair but I'm not one of them. I find it much easier to keep my natural hair healthy. I also retain length much better as a natural. My hair NEVER grew this long while relaxed---it was stuck at bra strap.

My hair does well relaxed, so that's never been an issue. I just want to be able to keep my hair long during my transition. Right now it's right around HL, but the tangles start right at the line of demarcation and getting them from all the way up there and down to the ends is HELL :wallbash::wallbash: That is why I am doing the transition mostly straight. I'm not sure I'll be able to hang on to my relaxed ends for 3 years though. You are remarkable! Thanks again for your feedback. Your hair is truly gorgeous :)

My hair does well relaxed, so that's never been an issue. I just want to be able to keep my hair long during my transition. Right now it's right around HL, but the tangles start right at the line of demarcation and getting them from all the way up there and down to the ends is HELL :wallbash::wallbash: That is why I am doing the transition mostly straight. I'm not sure I'll be able to hang on to my relaxed ends for 3 years though. You are remarkable! Thanks again for your feedback. Your hair is truly gorgeous :)

Detangling the hair from tip to root (bottom to top) should help with that problem. The relaxed ends straightened my hair out especially when wet, making it easy to comb while wet and with conditioner. I didn't have any major problems with knots during my transition. I also detangled from bottom to top. I remember combing from the roots to tips did tend to cause matts.

Hope I helped. You're welcome. Feel free to ask more questions. :)

Detangling the hair from tip to root (bottom to top) should help with that problem. The relaxed ends straightened my hair out especially when wet, making it easy to comb while wet and with conditioner. I didn't have any major problems with knots during my transition. I also detangled from bottom to top. I remember combing from the roots to tips did tend to cause matts.

Hope I helped. You're welcome. Feel free to ask more questions. :)

I do detangle from the tips, but it's still tough. My relaxed ends are not super straight when wet, so they tend to tangle. I just need to be patient and give myself plenty of time to detangle. I need to get used to the idea that it will just take me a little longer to get things done :)

picking jaw up off of the floor! ok back to reality, gorgeous hair :)

it's such a treat to straighten your hair after not straightening it for so long.

Back