How many hairs do you lose daily?

joemerald

Everyday when I comb my hair I lose some hair right now it is about five to ten. These are strands not little fine hairs. A week ago I thought it was more so I did a Emergencee and they were less the next day but now it is about min 5 max 10. I am using surge also to help with this. I am wondering am I overreacting? How many hairs do you lose daily (when you are not shedding of course)? Thanks.

Jo

I would shed about 50 strands each time I comb my hair. I was totally discouraged. Now that I take better care of my hair I probably shed about 10 strands a day. I try to keep my hair moisturize which seems to work. Basically, I was my hair's enemy.

joemerald said:
Everyday when I comb my hair I lose some hair right now it is about five to ten. These are strands not little fine hairs. A week ago I thought it was more so I did a Emergencee and they were less the next day but now it is about min 5 max 10. I am using surge also to help with this. I am wondering am I overreacting? How many hairs do you lose daily (when you are not shedding of course)? Thanks.

Jo

I don't think you are overreacting, you should do things to minimize shedding and breakage. If your hair is growing and doing well losing 5-10 hairs a day, why would you tolerate more loss?

Close to the time I need a relaxer I shed alot, I loose prob. 30+ hairs. Normally I lose less than 5 per day.

I never understood why people got very worried over a couple of strands of shedding hair. Your hair is going to shed a few hairs every time you comb it...it's natural. If your comb is full of hair - like enough to fill the palm of your hand, then there's a need to be concerned. But anything under 20 strands, maybe a little more depending on the season, is normal. Shedding is just as normal and healthy as growth. Remember, it's winter now, so you'll shed a little more than you did in the warmer months.

Last edited:
For months I have lost any where from 30 to over 300 hairs every day. On wash days, I lose tons of hair. On non wash days, I will lose at least 30 strands while bunning my hair. Each time I touch my hair, I can have anywhere from 3 to 5 long strands in my hands. I collect them now. I'm a collector.:look:

Cayenne0622 said:
For months I have lost any where from 30 to over 300 hairs every day. On wash days, I lose tons of hair. On non wash days, I will lose at least 30 strands while bunning my hair. Each time I touch my hair, I can have anywhere from 3 to 5 long strands in my hands. I collect them now. I'm a collector.:look:

lmao@ collector...

but on a side note.. I'm sorry you lost hair ...that a heck of alot! :(

my hair is natural and i loose tuns of hair every day little balls of knots you can always tell where i have been the shed hairs with the bulb tangle the rest and it breaks ...........it has me thinking about a perm

Cayenne0622 said:

Cayenne, I've been meaning to tell you that I went through the same exact thing last summer/early fall. Looking that the pics you had of the knots and bad tangles reminded me sooooooooooooo much of what I went through. I couldn't touch my head without hair coming out. If I had my scarf off while I was in the house, I could see the hairs accumulating all over the beige carpet. It continued like this for about 2-3 weeks, I then switched to Aveda, got a touchup, bought another bottle of jojoba oil, discontinued my Biotin and MSM and started with Phytophanere and Biosil and I haven't had that problem since.

I can't really say that my experience will help you 'cause to be honest I don't really know what was 'causing it in the first place or which of the changes I made helped. (I blamed the products I was using, Keracare & NTM, but I'm really not sure about that). I WILL say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Eventhough my progress is not where it should be thanks to that set back, and sometimes I dream about how I would be at full thick APL now instead of slowly thickening collarbone length, my hair is making progress at leaps and bounds. Hang in there girlie!!:kiss:

Due to henna & low manipulation I hardly lose anyhair during the week and wash days a very minimum amount..Yea Henna

Cayenne0622 said:

ME too! I've been "harvesting" hair for a while. :blush: I collect it and put in pill baggies and label them with the month/date so I can compare with the weeks that I use certain techniques and products from my hair journal. I am also going to use the hair to test henna before I apply it.

It's gotten so that EVERYDAY I scan the floors in my two bathrooms (where I do my hair) and hallways and behind doors and pick shed hair off the floor.

In all seriousness, I have never had a day that I don't shed less than 60-100 hairs a day minimum and actually see it! I guess I am one of those people that shed a lot all the time, no matter what time of the year it is!

I dont comb my hair daily, so I dont know how many hairs I would lose per day. The only time I really comb is at the salon on wash day...... and I deliberately dont turn around to look in the wash bowl, because i dont wanna see! :lol:

kinchen said:
my hair is natural and i loose tuns of hair every day little balls of knots you can always tell where i have been the shed hairs with the bulb tangle the rest and it breaks ...........it has me thinking about a perm

It's funny u say that... I am relaxed and have balls of knots that have shed/broke and had me wondering if I should go natural :cool:

However I notice more hair loss the longer I stretch relaxers out. The shedding and breakage seems to minimize once I have a fresh relaxer put in. Sometimes when I wash my hair I see little and then sometimes I see lots!! I just try not to worry too much and just continue with protein treatments and deep conditioning.

joemerald said:

Jo

I shed about 5-10 hairs a day and alot of the times when I comb my hair I have none in the comb...I love when I see no hairs in my comb but if so it's like 5-10 hairs and they're long strands:)

Between 25 and 50 every day. These are all long shed hairs with a little white bulb at the end, not broken hairs.

On days when I wash my hair and comb it I easily lose about 80 hairs. My husband says the clump of wet hair I throw into the garbage can in the bathroom looks like a dead animal.:look:

Back