Fall/Winter 2010-2011 Cowash Challenge

I'm in! I co-wash 2x per week 3 weeks of the month. Normally during the 1st week of the month it's once as I use a chelating shampoo to fight hard water issues. my starting pic is in my siggy. I'm all pictured out until this weekend.

Mrs. Verde, GlamaDiva AND Teddy B. - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR HAIR!!!

I am planning on doing more wet buns for the rest of the year because I am not too happy with the way my relaxed ends look (all thin and scraggly) especially now that I think I have more natural hair than relaxed. The twist out aren't as cute as they once were.

Currently, I already cowash once a week (I actually alternate between shampooing and cowashing every 3 days) so this will be more of putting my regimen on paper than trying to get me to actually do it.

I use V05 moisture milk for the co-wash and then following up with a DC using Jane Carter. I will be happy when my hair gets full and curly touching at least the top of my shoulders.

Today I did an ayurveda tea rinse and cowashed with WEN Tea Tree Conditioner on braided hair. Sprayed in my infusium 23/brx braid spray leave-in mixture and added some shealoe butter as a sealant.

Mrs. Verde, GlamaDiva AND Teddy B. - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR HAIR!!!

Aaaawww thank you, TruMe

Do any of you ladies use MegaTek as a regular proteine conditioner? I bought this stuff a while back and its just sitting here. With regular cowashing my hair can get overmoisturized so I want to balance it out with this megatek and use it as a overnight prepoo.

What do u ladies think?

I've been cowashing since Saturday, and my hair's improved already! :grin: My coils are coilier and my hair stays moisturized all day! Also today I tried HPO Simply Curly Pudding, and I love it. My hair stayed very soft and I had pretty good definition for the little amount I used.

I'm in... I do plan to be in braids majority of the fall n winter..so 1x a week sounds good 2 me.. I'll be using vo5 moisture Milks..n Tresemme Naturals... Maybe Aussie moist... Starting pic..is my AVI.

Hey all! I co-wash between 1-2times a week depending on my gym usuage. My products of the moment are the elucence moisturizing conditioner and then I add my ORS olive oil moisturizer and oil to seal and then roller-set and air dry. I just relaxed 2 weeks ago and did my post-relax Aphogee treatment and now I am going back to my megateking and stretching for 12 weeks :)

OH and now that it is starting to get cooler, I will be bunning and twists as a protective hairstyle.

See you all around!

Does not look like I will be on this challange as hard as I was thinking since I am getting a weave.... however I will be back at it in December!

I cowashed this morning with WEN Tea Tree Conditioner and it's all used up finally. I felt like I had it forever. On to WEN Fig for tomorrow.

What are you ladies using for protein? Too much moisture and not enough protein turns your hair into mush.

I'm thinking of going back to my trusty Graham Weber silk protein leave in. I love it!

What are you ladies using for protein? Too much moisture and not enough protein turns your hair into mush.

I'm thinking of going back to my trusty Graham Weber silk protein leave in. I love it!

I've been using ceramides for a few months and I haven't had to do a protein treatment since about March. My next protein treatment (DuoTex) will probably be in December before I straighten.

Last edited:
I'm starting to dig this Skala Jamborandi(sp) conditioner I've been using to cowash. Even my braids are softer! lol

I'm using Infusium 23 leave-in mixed with BRX braid spray and S-curl Moisturizer as my protein. I also do a reconstructor protein deep conditioning treatment once a week. I would also do a hardcore protein treatment once every 8 weeks or I usually would do it during the week leading up to my relaxer.

In the past when I was just cowashing, I didn't bother with using protein (or DCing) at all. Now I'm going to be using Catwalk's Oatmeal and Honey con as my protein twice a week because I really like it and I have 2 1 liter bottles to use up :lachen:. When I bought it I didn't realize it was so protein heavy until I read the ingredients.

Another observation about daily cowashing:
a lot less breakage and shedding! I always pay attention to the number of c's and o's I lose while wash, moisturize, and style. The number has reduced greatly which is awesome!!

UGH! I just co-washed. First with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and I was NOT impressed. It wasn't a bad conditioner but it worked on the same level as Vo5. Granted, it's only 3 dollars but Vo5 is only 77 cents so guess which one I'll be sticking with? So the second conditioner I tried was Vo5 French Vanilla Bean. I love ALL things vanilla. I use vanilla body wash, lotion, even vanilla mint toothpaste! And this condish smells wonderful when I sniff the bottle but in my hair it was ugh smelled like cheap vanilla perfume or something. Can't wait to be finished with this crap but I think it'll be like by the end of October until I'm finished. Dah well!

Count me in! I've already cowashed 3x this week, and I planned to keep it up through the winter. I'm using Garnier and Herbal Essences. I've been trying several of these so I'll post exactly which ones I use once the challenge officially starts next week.

Here's my starting photo which is my airdried hair from September 4:

IMG01307-vi.jpg

I want to join too!

I plan to:

1. Co-wash every 2 days with Pantene Conditioner. (I really want to try one of the Fructis Conditioners or Hair Milk I have been hearing so much about. I may use one of those as well.)

2. Airdry in ponytails.

3. Wear a bun until my next co-wash.

Starting pics:

lhcfcowashchallengestar.jpg

Although I have some lead hairs, I won't be trimming since I am also in a No-trim Challenge. My hair is usually very poofy, so I will measure my progress in ponytails. If that is alright.

I would definitely like to join this challenge! I'm currently using Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and Hydralicious conditioners to cowash. I cowash 3-4 times a week. I've been doing this for the past few months and have retained a lot of length so far. I'm hoping to reach my goal of APL in December and really believe it is possible at this point.

I'd like to join!
I have been cowashing daily all summer and my hair feels great. :yep:
I'd like to keep it up for at least the fall, and then cowash maybe twice a week in the winter.

I just checked to see if my staple cowash conditioner, Yes to Cucumbers :love2:, contains any glycerin and it doesn't! All clear for the winter.

For protein I'll be DCing over night, usually with OA GPB diluted with coconut milk or cream.

Looking forward to this Challenge. I'm already a weekly co-washer.

Used Ori Organics Golden Jojoba Hydrating Conditioner yesterday. Great Co-Washer.

I would like to join!! I have been doing this since Apr, but I just whiched to twice a week back in August and I'm seeing lots of progress. I will be using WEN, and a combination of cheapie conditioners; I would list them, but I am not consistant. I just started using HE LTR conditioner and split end trt, and using vaseline on my ends to seal in the trt. I want to stay consist wit this for the next 2 months to see if I have any good results.

I detangled today and I must say that I was a bit put off with the amount of hair I lost :ohwell:. But that was because I used my wide tooth comb and the denman I had modified (removed every other row of teeth) just before jumping into the shower. I lost a tiny tiny bit of hair with my comb, but once I finished with my denman, I had a golfball sized clump of hair. I only saw a couple of broken pieces, which is amazing after using a denman. I don't know how often I should use that thing since it is so good at removing shed hair. I sometimes find strands of hair totally matted together in the back of my head because I don't comb that section as well as I should :look:. Using the denman regularly should keep those suckers at bay.

Right now I'm letting my hair dry with just my leave-in. I want to see how much it will shrink without any styling product or tying it back. :yep:

ETA: Once I figure out how to get my pics off my phone, I will post my starting length shots.

Last edited:
I'm going to keep cowashing daily until it cools off here, which probably won't be until around November. I'll cross that bridge when I get to I suppose.

Back