Fall Steaming Challenge (Sept to Dec 2010)

Method of Steaming

• A table-top or floor steamer

Votes: 132 76.7%
  • Heat/Towel Method

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other Method (Please describe in the thread)

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those adding oils to your hair with the steamer..

Does this cause HOT OIL/HONEY to run down your face or neck?

Do you have to reshampoo to remove any oil residue before styling?

I purchased a steamer this summer... My daughter's ends remained dry...Any product suggestions??? She is 4b natural...We used Suave Almond Conditioner.

I steamed with a shower cap on top of my towel this time (conditioner>shower cap>towel>shower cap). This worked a lot better for me this time. Not sure if you are putting a shower cap on top of the towel but you may want to try it. My hiar was more saturated and felt more moisturized. I was happy with the rusults unlike the last time... I still want a steamer though.

Thanks girl, I will definitely use the 2 shower cap method. I plan to DC and steam sometime today with patchouli's DC mix, I just need to buy some coconut oil. I will give updates!

I purchased a steamer this summer... My daughter's ends remained dry...Any product suggestions??? She is 4b natural...We used Suave Almond Conditioner.

What I have learned from the threads and you tube is that you should shampoo after a deep condition or oil treatment especially if you are going to heat style. This is because the residue can lead to dryness. Check out this thread, it is very useful when it comes to moisture and styling!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Last edited:
Hope I am not too late. I just steamed my hair and then I came across this thread (coincidence?)
- I am relaxed
- I plan on steaming once a week for 15 minutes. I do it pre-shampoo and I use straight oil on my hair.
- I have a floor model steamer

I steam with oil and yes sometimes it runs. However, I don't over do it on the oil so it's not that bad. The water from the steam also runs but its not that big of a deal to me. I'm natural so I don't shampoo my hair after the oil becaus I'm not going to use any heat, I air dry.

I think your daughter will need something more conditioning that Suave. I would use a deep conditioner (DC) conditioner that DOES NOT have any proteins. If you need recomendations for a DC there are several threads out there. I also use Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose. My hair loves to steam with this. I mix my AOHSR with rice bran oil and it's great. To make sure that my ends get their fair share of the steam, I pin my hair up to the ends get steam for 20 mins or so. Then I let me hair down. Good luck.

I steam with a butter (olive currently) as opposed to oil - definitely no drips so far and believe I have slapped it on like it was going out of fashion at times :grin:

I've reshampooed when I've totally overdone it but mostly I dont cos I airdry or diffuser dry on a low setting..

No, the key (well for me personally) is not to use too much oil. I simply mix a small amount and just rub it through my hair and then apply my conditioner on top. I don't shampoo the oil out I just rinse well and style. My hair isn't greasy or weighed down, it stays soft and moisturised. You should try this on your daughter for a few weeks, her ends will look and feel good after no time!

i will be steaming tomorrow.
havent decided with what yet but i definetly know ill be adding oil to the mix

For the drips I use the cotton coil that you can buy from Sally's. Most of my conditioners don't drip too much though bc I use really thiiick dc's.

I steamed last night with WEN fig remoist and AOHSR conditioner. I sprayed my hair with Aphogee GTR and Aloe Vera Juice prior to applying my conditioner. I steamed for about 30-40 minutes.

im steaming now with ors replenishing pak with olive oil underneath it. I wonder how my hair will turn out. Also ive noticed my steamer doesnt get to the back of my hair too well. It doesnt get as hot as the rest of the hair.

Sign me up! After this last hair cut, I'm more committed that ever to finally get past BSL permanently!

Here's my pic:

100_0225-vi.jpg

I plan on steaming with DC mixed with some oil (olive, castor, or mix). I have a alternative steaming method, which involves a facial steamer, a hooded dryer, and a couple of long towels. If this doesn't work out, I'm investing in table top steamer.

I will be lurking in this thread frequently to learn tips/tricks to steaming. I just steamed for the first time this past weekend and wow! :trampolin Fantastic. I plan to steam once a month as I've read that too much steaming can cause damage. I will start out slow and up the frequency when I ensure my hair can take it.

so my hair didnt turn out so great with this last steam. when i rinsed my hair felt good but it dried rough and dry. ill stick to my humecto

MsWowFactor -- I've never gotten a salon steam treatment so I don't have anything to compare it too but my steam treatment worked well with ---> turbie twist, plastic cap, turbie twist, plastic cap. I made sure the turbies were nice and hot and the heat from the hooded dryer helped them to retain the heat, thus steaming my hair.

Teddy B -- I've DC'd at home numerous times but I have softer results with the steamer with using the same prods to steam and DC with. The conditioner seems to penetrate better.

I plan to steam once a month as I've read that too much steaming can cause damage. I will start out slow and up the frequency when I ensure my hair can take it.

I read the same but im not so sure coz Im relaxed. I was planning to steam weekly and changed to bi weekly. Which brings me to my question, are there relaxed head steaming weekly with positive results?

If its not too late to join please add me to the list. Im buying a table top steamer and will steam 1x per week. I'm currently transitioning.

Rossy2010 -- I am relaxed also. ChaoasButterfly and JJamiah (I'm sure there is more) lists they are relaxed and steam weekly. Perhaps they can chime in on how their relaxed hair responds to weekly steaming. My hair is so soft after my very first steam that I'm almost afraid to steam weekly. I don't want it to get too overmoisturized. I'm loving the steaming effects.

I just discovered "Neutrogena triple moisture daily conditioner" and I must say that it's really good!!! I use it as a leave-in though.... anyone else doing that??

im steaming now with ors replenishing pak with olive oil underneath it. I wonder how my hair will turn out. Also ive noticed my steamer doesnt get to the back of my hair too well. It doesnt get as hot as the rest of the hair.

This is the 1st conditioner I used when I 1st got my steamer.. My NG was sooo soft and easy to detangle I think that is what made me decide to transition.. 2nd time I did it didn't work as good as the 1st.. I use the packet the 1st time and the bottle the 2nd time.. Don't think that should have made a difference.

I'm off from work today so I plan to get another steaming session in today. I will steam with Jessicurl WDT with possibly some ayurvedic powders and oils thrown in.

i just thought i'd post this link for those that dont have a standing steamer or those that steam in braids/twists. this lady steams her hair in a way that is similar to steaming the face. she puts boiling water in a boil and uses it to steam her hair by covering her head and the bowl with a towel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvozrNN1R5o

Tuesday I did go get my hair done, I bought my things down to the Argan Oil :lachen: and comb :look:

I got a roller set and motions CPR steamed/ nexxus right after, Alter Ego sat for 20 minutes rinsed roller set 1 hour under the fryer dryer and pin curled. If I knew how to roller set without fear my arms would disconnect I'd be set.

Back