Fall Steaming Challenge (Sept to Dec 2010)

Method of Steaming

• A table-top or floor steamer

Votes: 132 76.7%
  • Heat/Towel Method

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other Method (Please describe in the thread)

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cant wait to steam this weekend. Im glad everyone is so excited about steaming. I hope that all of our hair benefits from all of this love we are giving it.

To those that have the floor steamer: Do you use th 310W for 30 min or 310W + 310W for 30 min?

My scalp has been sore in the back so I think the double 310W might be causing a little sensitivity or is it growth?

So I will only steam once this week to give that area break.

I steamed last week, but used different products (unrefined shea butter and skala fruit cocktail) my hair didn't feel as heavy as the first time (unrefined shea butter and naked naturals shea butter and avocado condish), but it was ok. I've been whole head baggying this entire week and I'm afraid to steam tomorrow (over moisturize). But the steam has done wonders with softening my new growth. idk what to do. This may be a game time decision after I wash my hair tomorrow.

@CA*Nappy - I use 310W + 310W for at least 45 mins. I am natural so my hair loves moisture. But I don't know why the steamer would cause your scalp to be sensitive.

Just finishing steaming with Silk Elements cholesterol and my hair feels great. I rinsed in very cool water to try to keep all that moisture inside. Brrrrrrrr!!!

MsWowFactor -- I've never gotten a salon steam treatment so I don't have anything to compare it too but my steam treatment worked well with ---> turbie twist, plastic cap, turbie twist, plastic cap. I made sure the turbies were nice and hot and the heat from the hooded dryer helped them to retain the heat, thus steaming my hair.

Teddy B -- I've DC'd at home numerous times but I have softer results with the steamer with using the same prods to steam and DC with. The conditioner seems to penetrate better.

Thank you divachyk, I tried it last night. Applied hemp oil on my dry hair put on plastic cap>wet turbie>plastic cap under the dryer for 30 min and my hair came out moist to wet and most of the oil was indeed absorbed into my hair. I hear you can actually get better results with a steamer, just don't know if its worth the money and having such a big tool in my appartment, its small as it is and it already looks like a hairsalon with all the products and tools that I have, ugh it's just never enough :ohwell:

Thank you divachyk, I tried it last night. Applied hemp oil on my dry hair put on plastic cap>wet turbie>plastic cap under the dryer for 30 min and my hair came out moist to wet and most of the oil was indeed absorbed into my hair. I hear you can actually get better results with a steamer, just don't know if its worth the money and having such a big tool in my appartment, its small as it is and it already looks like a hairsalon with all the products and tools that I have, ugh it's just never enough :ohwell:
i haven't attempted steaming on dry hair just yet. on wet hair, i place the turbie on first. i will most likely be a sucker and buy the steamer b/c i now know how great it is for my hair. i will agree that i could continue doing the home treatment for a lot less money but i prefer the real deal so that i don't have to fool with having to heat up turbies, etc.

I pre poo'd all week with sweet almond oil and last night I washed my hair with Aubrey Organics green tea clarifying shampoo. I then rinsed with Apoghee 2 min and steamed with silk elements megasilk moisturizing treatment for 30 mins. I am impressed I had way less breakage!! :grin:

I used to the same products (unrefined shea butter and naked natural's shea butter and avocado condish) that I used the first time I steamed trying to get that heavy feel back and it wasn't the same. Must be time to clarify.

Did a hard protein treatment today after about 2-3 months and I am now steam DCing with a mixture of Joico moisture recovery, ceramides and hairveda stranillah :love:

I just found a bottle of JBCO in my stock of hair products and I decided to steam my hair with it on dry hair.... my hair is feeling soft

Ladies, I steamed my hair tonight for 30 minutes using Humecto. I swear, the comb glided right through my hair as I rollerset it. My hair stayed so moisturized that I didn't need to re-wet it during the rolling process.

It felt soooo soft!

I put Alter Ego garlic conditioner on dry hair and sat under steamer for 30 minutes. Used Cantu shea butter leavein and coconut oil grease to seal ends and braided into 4 sections to dry overnight.

ETA: The Alter Ego is actually a hot oil treatment according to the bottle:look:

Last edited:
Steamed with Miss Keys 10 en 1 and Kukui Nut oil last night (trying to use up some oils)....hair came out really soft and VERY easy to detangle, even after having my hair out all day...

I :love: steaming!

I am about to steam with WEN fig remoist and AOHSR conditioner. I sprayed my hair with Aphogee GTR and Aloe Vera Juice prior to applying my conditioner. I will steam for about 30 minutes. Same as last week :yep:

Back