Fall Steaming Challenge (Sept to Dec 2010)

Method of Steaming

• A table-top or floor steamer

Votes: 132 76.7%
  • Heat/Towel Method

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other Method (Please describe in the thread)

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am LOVING the updates with everyone's steaming results. Its been interesting to see so many GREAT results and to hear about the results that did not end as intended.

I am adding all the people that asked to join since 9/1, so PLEASE look for your name in the original post. Also check for updated as information as I just received a copy of Chicorro's newsletter in which she recommends using the following:

warm DRY heat (i.e. dryer and cap) for Protein treatments

&

warm MOIST (steam) heat for Moisturizing treatments

Are your results aligning with her recommendations about not using a protein treatment with a steamer? Are some of you having GREAT results with protein treatments? Lets talk about that.

Also, I am glad to see so many of our alternative and towel challengers talking about their results, good, bad or ugly. Keep it up.

I, if you haven't noticed, have had to keep a low profile with regards to my MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT as I asked and was told it was not allowed on this website. Which means in order for me to comply, I have to provide a re-direct to another site to make the announcement. What I plan to do is simply continue to read all of your wonderful posts and direct your attention to a blog within a few days to explain whats going on. So keep up with the updates. Someone will have a very direct opportunity to report on the difference between their alternative attempts at steaming and a machine! (Is that clear enough without actually saying a thing? LOL) I hope its good news for someone!

I have to figure out how to post pics on this new fanged website...but I do have results pics. Very interesting to me to see.

I am LOVING the updates with everyone's steaming results. Its been interesting to see so many GREAT results and to hear about the results that did not end as intended.

I am adding all the people that asked to join since 9/1, so PLEASE look for your name in the original post. Also check for updated as information as I just received a copy of Chicorro's newsletter in which she recommends using the following:

warm DRY heat (i.e. dryer and cap) for Protein treatments

&

warm MOIST (steam) heat for Moisturizing treatments

Are your results aligning with her recommendations about not using a protein treatment with a steamer? Are some of you having GREAT results with protein treatments? Lets talk about that.

Also, I am glad to see so many of our alternative and towel challengers talking about their results, good, bad or ugly. Keep it up.

I, if you haven't noticed, have had to keep a low profile with regards to my MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT as I asked and was told it was not allowed on this website. Which means in order for me to comply, I have to provide a re-direct to another site to make the announcement. What I plan to do is simply continue to read all of your wonderful posts and direct your attention to a blog within a few days to explain whats going on. So keep up with the updates. Someone will have a very direct opportunity to report on the difference between their alternative attempts at steaming and a machine! (Is that clear enough without actually saying a thing? LOL) I hope its good news for someone!

I have to figure out how to post pics on this new fanged website...but I do have results pics. Very interesting to me to see.

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhh! How very exciting?!!! Bet it wont be me though! I'm in the UK. Its a shame really cos here in the UK we dont have the range of steamers that you lucky US ladies do - nor the affordability. I wish some of the companies over there would get on board with making steamers for us UK/EU ladies - need to get them market forces working hard.... ok I'll shut up :grin:

Steamed this morning with a combo Aubrey Organics Island Naturals and Crown Pride Avocado detangling creme (which is predominantly avocado oil). Hair is feeling good.

with regard to you earlier point about steaming with protein, I've done this twice so far and have found that my hair doesnt get overly hard as it coudl occasionally do when I DC'd back in the bad old days. I just took this to be yet another bonus of steaming... never ocurred to me that the steam might not be compatible with the protein... hmmm... thining about it, I have felt I need to keep going at the protein treatments and iwould never have considered doing them more than once a month before...

I'll be interested to hear other people's opinions on this....

Edited to add: I just had to come back in here to rave on about how fabulous my hair is feelng. What I didnt say earlier is that before I rinsed out my concoction of conditioners, I drenched my hair in Roux Porosity Control and left it sitting for about 5 mins or so. I rinsed with luke warm to cool water and then added my homemade leave in. My hair feels lovely. I've just bunned but my curls are popping, no greasiness, no crunchiness. Its spot on.

Last edited:
I want to order a steamer but I am unsure about if I should take the plunge. Will my hair be really awesome afterward? I just don't want to waste money.

took the plunge and ordered a steamer from salonsrus. Will be here Friday. I am so excited. I cant join the challenge cuz I have to get a new cam but I will be frequenting the thread

COUNT ME IN YA'LL!!! I just ordered and received my steamer TODAY!!!!
Here's the post I just made showing I only pd $89 for mine with free shipping. This link also shows a 10 discount code: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread213639-15.html#post12023444

This is the one that I got:
I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT OUT!!!!!! This will now be a part of my weekly routine!!! YAY!!!

ETA:I tried my steamer ya'll!!! Best thing ever!!!COUNT ME IN THIS CHALLENGE PLEASE!!!:grin:
natural
steam 1x per week, for 45 min - 1 hr!

Can't wait to see all the benefits come spring time!!!!!

Attachments

• PRO-150-3.jpg
    PRO-150-3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Steaming today. Will pre-poo first with my MT/Castor Oil scalp concoction and PK Elasticizer and then do a moisture treatment. Follow with leave ins, seal and twist up until next week.

I pre pooed with some hot castor oil on the scalp but mixed it with mizani Fulfy for the hair, shampooed then steamed with unrefined shea butter mixed with EVOO. Left my hair soooooooooo soft and moisturized. I think I have started knowing which products work well for my hair.

For the ladies who use the hot towel method, are you using a heating cap or a hooded dryer as your heat source? I'm noticing that my heat cap isn't heating evenly so every time I steam I get this one patch of hair that is NOTICEABLY different than the rest of my head....is anyone else having this problem?

For the ladies who use the hot towel method, are you using a heating cap or a hooded dryer as your heat source? I'm noticing that my heat cap isn't heating evenly so every time I steam I get this one patch of hair that is NOTICEABLY different than the rest of my head....is anyone else having this problem?

I use a hooded dryer for my steams and it works good. Of course not as well as an actual hair steamer though!

I steamed yesterday for 30 mins with my mega silk conditioner and after I rinsed, I applied some argan oil. Once again my hair feels amazing. I actually decided to blow dry and straighten my hair because I was going out. My hair is well moisturized and is noticeably thicker!

ok, so i have to be sincere and say that i have not noticed a difference in using the hair steamer to dc versus my hooded dryer. the results are the same. my hair is not staying moisturised for longer and my newgrowth gets hard after a couple days just like with the hooded dryer. oh well

Today I washed with CON moisturizing poo and deep conditioned under the steamer for 15 minutes using Alter Ego hot oil treatment with garlic. I used Cantu shea butter leavein and sat under the Pibbs for 15 more minutes.

ETA: Detangling was a breeze! I saw a lot of shed hair and broken hairs but I'm not too concerned. My new growth is substantial as I am 12.5 weeks post relaxer. I am aiming to relax around Halloween.

ok, so i have to be sincere and say that i have not noticed a difference in using the hair steamer to dc versus my hooded dryer. the results are the same. my hair is not staying moisturised for longer and my newgrowth gets hard after a couple days just like with the hooded dryer. oh well

I feel the same way

I steamed for twenty minutes, after clarifying, with lots of honey, aloe vera juice, a small amount of jojoba oil and AOHSR. I rinsed, then did a quick 1 minute condition rinse with Aussie Moist. OMGosh! I think I finally know what moisturized hair feels like :lick: I didn't use any leave in. I just oiled my scalp with my cutenss castor oil mixture, and put jojoba on my hair to seal. SMH for yummy hair. :yep:

ETA: I did spray Aphogee GTR on hair prior to using moisturizing conditioner and steaming.

Last edited:
I steamed for 30 minutes yesterday with a concoction of Giovanni Direct Smooth as Silk + Faith in Nature Seaweed conditioner + Vatika Oil (i'm on a personal mission to use up my stash and I'm nearly done).

I feel a strong need to step up my protein as my hair is beginning to feel stretchy. Mzteaze's earlier comment about protein treatments needing dry heat has me wondering whether my recent protein treatments under the steam have been effective at all. Much as I hate the idea, I might try not steaming next washday to see if it helps the protein treatment take effect.

I'm under the steamer right now after applying TJ Tea Tree Tingle mixed with evoo, jojoba oil, cedarwood oil, peppermint oil, castor oil, coconut oil, rosemary oil. Yes, I'm trying to use up some oils and what better way than with steaming.

I forgot to say I steamed last Friday with Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment. It was... meh :ohwell:

I guess this is why they call products that work well for you hair staples. Back to my good ol' Joico Moisture Recovery Balm this week :grin:

did the 2 step protein treatment with my hooded dryer, then rinsed and applied the moisturising conditioner recipe in the natural living forum and went under steamer for 20 mins

I finally got to set up my steamer this weekend, so I used it for 30 minutes with a mixture of Nexxus Humectress, Wheat Germ Oil, and Aloe Vera Juice.
There was also a little HE Hello Hydration on top, to try to counteract the smell of the Wheat Germ Oil.

I wasn't able to steam last night because my steamer was sounding an alarm and I couldn't unearth the source of the problem. So, I opted for an overnight DC instead.

I am loving my new steamer!!!

Has anyone ever steamed after relaxing?? Did your scalp burn? Any negative side effects?

Back