Fall Steaming Challenge (Sept to Dec 2010)

Method of Steaming

• A table-top or floor steamer

Votes: 132 76.7%
  • Heat/Towel Method

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other Method (Please describe in the thread)

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just got my steamer today!....

I prepoo'd w/ Amla, and Vatika oil and sat under the steamer for 10 mins, my hair was dry and fro'd before, but when I finished steaming my hair was damp and hanging...

...If it comes out well, I may start steaming twice a week, 1x w/prepoo midweek, and the other with my DC on sundays....

Just one question....What to you do to counteract the hotness?:nono:....I had to wrap a towl around the perimeter of my head...

Last edited:
Amoreofcurls I don't have a problem with the heat as I love heat like that. However, I heard there are some ear covers that you can get from Sally's or a BSS that might help.

I haven't steamed at all this week or last. Been too busy. I have plans to steam next week tho.

Steamed after a prepoo of oils with a combo of Humectress, Moisture Maniac,Leklair cholesterol, almond oil, camelia oil and aloe vera juice. Results were awesome!

Do you mean your ears are too hot? Or the water dripping from your hair. If you mean the water/conditioner/oils dripping from your hair, you can try this:
Graham Professional - CelluDri Perm Coil

Thank you, I will try and get that and the ear shields (Thanx MzTeaze), and I meant the temp in the steamer is hot, I think its because I put warm water opposed to cold water, I changed it mid way, and it felt a lil better but it was still a lil too on the hot side for my ears and face....

Thank you, I will try and get that and the ear shields (Thanx MzTeaze), and I meant the temp in the steamer is hot, I think its because I put warm water opposed to cold water, I changed it mid way, and it felt a lil better but it was still a lil too on the hot side for my ears and face....
Are you keeping the vent on the hood opened or closed? I tried it once with the vent closed and never again :nono:. It felt like my scalp was burning.

Are you keeping the vent on the hood opened or closed? I tried it once with the vent closed and never again :nono:. It felt like my scalp was burning.

:blush: OoOoOoOoO.....

I most definately DID close it :wallbash:

Thank you so much for being my brain at the moment, because I have no idea where it went

:lachen:

Ok so I can definately see a HUGE difference in my hair from using the steamer, after prepoo'ing, when washing, my hair felt heavier, and stronger....My hair has always taken forever to dry,and typically stays damp, but during my whole process of moisturising and sealing my hair was wet and heavy...

Im loving this steamer already....

AmoreofcurlsHowever, I heard there are some ear covers that you can get from Sally's or a BSS that might help.

I just saw those when I was at the store the other day. They are like REALLY thin plastic baggies....... I would just take a sandwich bag ( the folding kind, not zip lock ) put a couple cotton balls in there and put them on your ears securing with a phhb ( pantyhose head band ). That's cheaper then the little ear covers...... The steam on mine does get really hot, and I was considering doing this. My steamer has this vent thing on top, and when I open that, then it's not so hot on my ears.....

I havent steamed in over week and I'm sad about it :( My old heating cap isn't heating evenly, and the new one I have barely heats at all! The only thing stoping me from steaming is my hooded dryer. I have one, but it's just soooooo big and unwieldy. I'm gonna have to suck it up though because my hair is going through withdrawls! I'll report back later tonight.

I just saw those when I was at the store the other day. They are like REALLY thin plastic baggies....... I would just take a sandwich bag ( the folding kind, not zip lock ) put a couple cotton balls in there and put them on your ears securing with a phhb ( pantyhose head band ). That's cheaper then the little ear covers...... The steam on mine does get really hot, and I was considering doing this. My steamer has this vent thing on top, and when I open that, then it's not so hot on my ears.....

Thats a wonderful idea!!!! I'll give it a try...thanx!

Question, does anybody think steaming 2 days (or even twice in 1 day) in a row will be a lil too much?...I like to prepoo my hair the night before my wash/DC day, and my hair felt great when I prepoo'd for 10 mins with steam. I would usually prepoo before oil rinsing in the middle of the week, but since its getting cold I plan on limiting my wash day to once week...So basically it would be, steam with prepoo then steam with DC (on dry hair) for 30 mins...

Thats a wonderful idea!!!! I'll give it a try...thanx!

Question, does anybody think steaming 2 days (or even twice in 1 day) in a row will be a lil too much?...I like to prepoo my hair the night before my wash/DC day, and my hair felt great when I prepoo'd for 10 mins with steam. I would usually prepoo before oil rinsing in the middle of the week, but since its getting cold I plan on limiting my wash day to once week...So basically it would be, steam with prepoo then steam with DC (on dry hair) for 30 mins...

No I don't think it's too much. I steam for about an hour.

Its been a long time since I posted but I've steamed every week since my beloved steamer arrived in July. I pre-pooed with 15min with my oil mixture (don't know what's in it but I have so many different oils that its sick) then co-washed with Giovini Direct 50:50, my hair was so soft I stood in the mirror stairing at it for a while, I'm in LOVE with my hair; then I steamed with my new found "golden mix" AOWC, honey, WGO, Aloe and Rose water (I'm obsessed with Indian hair products not even sure if this works); divided my hair in 4 sections and detangled in the shower = no tangles. Giovani Direct leave-in (WGO added) and Hairveda Whipped Cream 3 in1 Ends Hydration, Leave In & Moisturizer; cornrolled my hair and went back under the wig.

So I finally gave in and used the heating cap to steam using a mixture of Giovanni SAS, Suave Humectant, and GENEROUS amounts of honey and EVCO. My hair dried so soft that it's insane!! I airdried in two braids using only sweet almond oil. I'm flat ironing right now and I'm in love!!

So now that I've decided to stop straightening my hair at the salon all the time and use only natural based products (no cones, sulfates, mineral oil, etc), I'm starting to get to see the true nature of my hair. I used to think my hair didn't need protein, but my hair seems kinda weak and I think I need some protein.

eta: sitting under steamer now with AubreyGPB chased with Curl Junkie Banana & Hibiscus. I was too scared to do the Aubrey's alone. It doesn't feel dry at all, I'm thinking I could've added alot more Aubrey's than I did.

Last edited:
HI ladies :) I've been lurking this post for a while and even began steaming twice a week. I've seen great results from the start. If it's not too late, I'd like to join the challenge :)

Today,I applied Megatek (light protein) for 5 mins. to wet hair in the shower. After rinse, I applied Salerm wheat germ mask(moisture) and sat under the steamer for 20 mins. Braided my hair into sections to airdry overnight.

ETA: I did not like the way my hair felt after steaming. It was very tangled and felt 'stripped" I think my Salerm is past its due date. I am positive its more than 2 yrs old :nono: I'll be trashing it soon. I put Cantu shea butter leavein on and it melted my tangles away:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Steaming right now with Curl Junkie CURL REHAB - MOISTURIZING HAIR TREATMENT. Whenever I steam I also spritz my hair with a with rosewater, glycerin, aloe vera, and SAA mix.

Tonite I steamed my prepoo oil treatment then clarified with Nature Gate, following DermOrganic Shampoo, steamed for 30 min a mix of QH Cholesterol, DPR-11,grapeseed oil, WGO and honey, then steamed 15 min with DermOrganic Masque.

I steamed today with my DC cocktail for a total of 35mins...

My cocktail consist of Lekair Cholesterol, Silicon Mix Bambu, ORS replenishing pak,AO Honeysuckle rose,EQP Intense fortifying condish...

Last edited:
Back