Fake hair - why or why not?

Have you ever worn fake hair? Any reservations about doing so?

• Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Votes: 125 27.3%
  • Yes - I was nervous at first, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Votes: 133 29.0%
  • No - But I plan on doing so in the future.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • No - Never thought about it, but not opposed to it.

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • No - I don't ever think I'll wear fake hair.

Votes: 138 30.1%

• Total voters
Well when it comes to weaves I've tried it all. Just because I got bored with my hair. There was one time when I did weaves and did not take care of my own hair and it broke off so bad. I dont know what happened but all I know my hair was short and I was back to square one again. But I've learned, and regardless if its braids, partial weave or full weave, I do not, I repeat do not leave it in past 6 weeks. I get scared after that, that I'll have no hair when I take it out. I did braids and 2 partial weaves from August until about 2 weeks ago. And I would say it was sucessful in helping my nap grow, it grew a lot. Also even with weaves, I wash my hair every week. I can not, not wash my hair. I also make sure my hair is trimmed before I get a weave because I do not like my ends looking all messed up when it comes out and that's about it. I like weaves sometimes, but I love my own hair more. I can't take one style for 6 weeks so I make sure I stay versatile. And the thing that bugs me about weaves I can't deep condition my hair like I want to or do protein treatments, but dont knock it until you try it, even if its just for a week. Good Luck.

I'm voting to change my initial answer...I orginally said I didn't wear it and only wore modest braid extensions...HOWEVER I have recently discovered the freedom of a great wig...some hair accessories...and a fabulous protective style. NOW, I rock it.

Before I met my DH I used to braid my hair all the time, but not any more. My DH absolutely dislikes fake hair, he won't touch it for any reason:nono::nono:. So I don't put it in my hair anymore and I don't think I will any time soon, so I vote for the last option.

I used to wear weave and wigs. I always had a decent length of hair, but I just liked doing different stuff. When I met my fiance I had a wig on. He started playing in my hair thinking it was real on our like second date and almost pulled it off:perplexed I don't wear them anymore however.

I would say no - but I would if absolutely necessary. Some people wear it well while others don't. I say if you do it - do it right, invest in good quality hair.

Thinking about it mainly due to transitioning purposes..particularly when the weather gets warmer and my own hair is a frizzy mess unless its in a bun.

I've had a piece added in an updo ponytail for weddings when I'm in the party. It wasn't hanging out, it was pincurled. I just didn't want to subject my hair to that heat (marcel irons), alcohol holding sprays, and torture. I always take them down the next day no matter how much I paid for the service.

I had braids when I was a kid and as a teen, but would never do them again.

I don't like fake hair at all (for me), but if I had to do one of those up-do's again, I would put my hair in a bun and add a piece like I did before. :yep:

I am braiding my hair right now.

I use to wear fake hair because my real hair always broke off and was sad and brittle. Now thanks to LHCF I wear fake hair mostly to protect my real hair.

Personally I like changing up my looks often. I told my husband when he met me, don't ever fall in love with my hair it is subject to change at any moment.

Ok back to braiding I have about 5 - 7 more hours to go:perplexed

I have worn weaves for years. I prefer my own hair. I sported a wig this week at work to give my natural hair a break. Thw wigs can be stiffling. Fake hair is a viable option when giving your hair a rest.

i cant speak for anyone but fake hair (braids, and tracks) make my hair grow. i wash them like i would do my real hair... but focusin on the scalp. in a yr (07-08) my hair went from my ears in the front and nape in the back TO shoulder in the front and apl in the back. i always wear my hair in tracks. i recently(this month) started wearin my hair out jus to let it breathe. but by the first week of Feb i will have my famous bad boys right back. i love fake hair but not everythin is for everyone!:look:

Co-signing with Aussie....I unintentially transitioned in braids for 4 years!!! Of course then I didn't know how to take care of my hair so every inch I gained broke off and worse...now that I'm a member of LHCF I feel more empowered about how to take care of my own hair and also how to repair unintentional damage. My hair did grow really well in braids....probably I will put in kinky twists for the summer and watch my hair grow like crazy. I think it's really a personal choice. Currently I wear wigs to protect my hair and it's been going really well with no damage at all. I thank members on this board for giving me the courage to even consider wearing a wig let alone buying one. The first day I put it on I was so nervous - and I felt like maybe someone would call me a phonie. I ended up getting a ton of compliments and I kept it real. If someone asked I told them - nope not my hair but thank you anyway. I actually find that wigs give me a freedom I've never had...I can moisturize the heck out of my head during the day with S-curl and don't have to worry about it looking a mess b/c the wig takes care of that! :yawn:

I was 34 when I wore a sew-in weave for the first time. I was nervous but now I don't care. I wear half wigs now and they have been extremely helpful with protective styling since my hair is too short to put in a bun. I actually prefer half wigs because I can take it off and let my hair breathe unlike a sew-in. If I didn't wear fake hair I don't know what I would do with my hair at this stage. I think as long as you don't try to pass it off as real then it's not a big deal.

I wore extension microbraids and I would not personally suggest them, unless you are all natural or recently relaxed.

I am transitioning and I admit that I am playing with the idea of weaves, but I haven't gotten the guts to do so. I personally think fake hair can be good, if you are willing to do the upkeep.

I just don't think it's good for me!

Thanks be to God for Kanekalon!

For the first year after I BC'd, I wore the TWA. I hated it. I felt like a baldheaded frump. DH wasn't feeling it. But I *forced* myself to not wear any false hair for that year, so that I really learned how to take care of MY hair, and didnt get all complacent in extensions like I had the previous time I went natural.

After a year, I started wearing my C&G braids. I make 'em lllllooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg too! Down to my goal length, which is classic length. I love to feel the braids brushing against my back when I walk, I love how I can practice doing the styles I plan to wear once I reach my goal. I take care of my hair underneath, and I enjoy my progress. But it helps me to tolerate not being at my goal length yet.

I've never worn fake hair of any kind and don't plan to. :nono: The reason is similar to why I don't like fake nails - anything that doesn't look reasonably natural to me makes me feel very uncomfortable, and hair should make you feel confident and good about yourself. I just personally don't like a fake look, which is why I toned down my highlights. They were Beyonce bright and cute for the summer, but they didn't look natural at all. :ohwell:

I intend to put my effort into nurturing what grows out of my scalp. But to each his own.

Okay, so today I wore a phony pony for the first time and . . . .

:love: :love: :love: I LOVE IT! :love: :love: :love:

I can't believe it took me this long to give it a try! That's it, I've found my new protective style. I mean, I don't think I'm going to do this everyday, but if my hairline is at least somewhat relaxed looking and the rest of my head's a mess, out comes "claudia"! :lachen:Shoot, now I'm so excited I'm wondering where I can find more hair from . . . half-wigs, here I come!

I've only worn braided extensions ... I've never worn wigs or sewn weaves - I am just not too comfortable trying to pass it off as my real hair - or trying to maintain them like my real hair.

Okay, so today I wore a phony pony for the first time and . . . .

:love: :love: :love: I LOVE IT! :love: :love: :love:

I can't believe it took me this long to give it a try! That's it, I've found my new protective style. I mean, I don't think I'm going to do this everyday, but if my hairline is at least somewhat relaxed looking and the rest of my head's a mess, out comes "claudia"! :lachen:Shoot, now I'm so excited I'm wondering where I can find more hair from . . . half-wigs, here I come!

Girl go to hairsisters.com. You should also check out the wig challenge thread. There is some good information in there. I'm hooked on half wigs. :grin:

Just curious: is wearing fake hair (weaves, extentions) constantly worth loosing your edges?

I think if the weave/extentions are installed properly (i.e. not braiding too tightly) and the person takes care of their hair underneath then they won't have to worry about loosing edges.

I have worn both weaves and braid extensions. I have never really been nervous about wearing them, but I stop wearing them because I started to think that they were doing more harm than good.

I wear a weave maybe 2 months within a year. Then if I get bored I switch to braids about 6 weeks here or there. My temples never thinned and these styles helped me retain length and stretch my relaxer application.

People can grow their hair safely and carefully with the help of weaves or braids. Crown & Glory proves that and Renieces Growth W/ Weave Powerpoint and website shows it as well.

Take a look: http://www.reniece.com/EZ-PhotoAlbum/GrowthWithWeave/index.html

http://www.reniece.com/index.html

I too have been able to retain all my length using weaves and I never had any breakage or thin edges. It's my main protective style. It has been so great that I'm on my way to BSL from NL, and it hasn't even been a year yet. My hair has also gotten much thicker.

It really doesn't damage everyone's hair esp. if it's applied correctly, and if you take really good care of the hair that's braided underneath.

Even though I have long hair, I love wearing half wigs.

It allows me to be very versatile, without damaging my real hair.

I can go for straight to curly, relaxed to semi-natural, from short to long.

:yep:I LOVE FAKE HAIR, AND I LOVE MY REAL HAIR EVEN MORE....THAT'S WHY I WEAR FAKE HAIR, TO PRESERVE MY OWN!:yep:

I answered no in the context of weaves. I do not wear then nor would I ever due to the tension and breakage associated with them. Muy hair just isn't strong enough.

I do however wear full wigs (no lacefront) with my hair moisturized underneath and baggied ends. I have and will continue this through December 08 when hopefully I will be WSL.

I really just like the variety. People who know me know that my hair could be short one day and long the next. Curly one day straight the next. Black one day blonde the next. That's just me. Once my hair is long I'm sure I'll still wear them periodically.

Also, I've never had any problems with weaves and hair pieces causing breakage. But I do understand if someone has and that's why they stay away from them. A few sets of braids did my hair in when I was younger though so I stayed away from them like the plague for a while. Since being here in LHCF I have revisited braids and had a positive experience each time. :yep:

Back