What Length of Fake Hair is just TOO Long to You?

What length of fake hair is considered to long?

• BSL+ weave/wig is too long (real hair is shorter)

Votes: 76 19.7%
  • Nothing wrong with a long BSL+ weave/wig (no matter real hair length)

Votes: 126 32.7%
  • BSL+ weave/wig is ok (real hair is same length)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • I don't wear weaves

Votes: 143 37.1%

• Total voters
The longest I've done was 16" (my last install), and at first I was so self-conscious about it. But I grew to love it. Other than that, I go no longer than 14".

i suppose you can get the length you want and then cut and layer if it looks too fake to you. personally, i dont feel comfortable with anything longer than APL. Also, i put into consideration the fact that when i wash the weave, all that heavy wet hair is going to be attached to my poor cornrowed hair underneath. LOL

If I have a TWA, shoulder length or there abouts is as long as I'd have my hair. If my hair is longer, then I'd only go about 2-4 inches longer than my hair if we're talking braids or about as long as my own hair if we're talking weaves. I wear fake hair to get length necessary for style variation (so shoulder length instead of a TWA gives me more options). If my hair is longer, I wear fake hair to lessen the manipulation of my own hair and give myself a break from dealing with my own hair, which I do with extra TLC <--time consuming. And since I would hate it to be so obviously not mine, I'd not make it too much longer than mine.

I'd rather wear a weave shorter than my hair and shock people with how long my real hair is when I take it out, than show off this butt long fake hair and then appear bald when I take it off.

Depends on how fake it looks. I personally prefer longer styles, but I find that if I wear them I get embarrassed because of the "butt length wig" stereotype.

This is a tough question.....
Although I do not wear weaves I feel it depends on the style and current length of the persons actual hair. If your hair is ear length and you get WL weave I think that's a bit much, but at the same time if that's the length you are growing your hair to and you don't feel like going through that crazy/annoying in between stage, go for it.
I don't see anything wrong with a woman whose hair is BSL or MBL getting WL weave, but if my hair were that long I wouldn't bother with weaves.......

I personally don't feel comfortable with more than 4" longer than my own hair. Right now, I'm wearing one that is the same length as my own.

I see some people with long weaves/wigs and it looks good on them. I've also seen some that look horrible long or short. It really depends on the wearer, the installation, the style ....

Last edited:
BSL weave is too long for me. You cant just throw BSL/MBL weave in my almost APL hair and expect me to handle it correctly. I have never had hair that long and I need time to work it up to that length.....

For me personally I perfer collar or shoulder length. I've seen a lot of women that can rock it longer but I think it just looks more natural a normal length. Its just too much for me.

I don't wear weaves, but I don't think BSL+ is too long regardless of the person's natural hair length. I feel that regardless of the weave length, how well it looks on a person depends on the installation, quality of the hair and how closely the texture matches the person's natural/relaxed hair.

I have worn different lengths with my weave. As long as it looks good then why not choose whatever length or style you want. I will wear a bob one month, kinly-curly the next month and long-wavy the next. Obviously people may know its not your real hair when the styles change. But if it looks good it shouldn't matter. It's about what you like and being sure you don't look "tacky" so to speak, (especially if you are in the corporate world). My sew-in in my siggy is the longest I have worn mine I absolutely loved it.

I plan on buying a weave that's about 22 inches for my next install. I think I can rock a super long weave and get away with it...

My daughter's friend has hair that is WL and she wears weave down to her butt, granted most of her hair is out and she just has a few tracks but no one thinks it's a weave because her hair is already long.
I think it depends on you and what looks natural to you. I once tried wearing 18 inches and my DH and DD was like..you better cut that mess..lol I usually buy 16 and end up cutting it to about APL, although I'm starting to like it shorter. So try 16 and if it's too long you can always trim or add layers.

Last edited:
i hardly ever wear weaves... but i did wear a partial weave (5 tracks) once. it was below BSL. it was fun for a while. i think if i were going to do a weave again (and i've been thinking about a full one) i would go a little shorter. maybe APL or slightly shorter.

My hair was BSL and last week cut to APL. Before then and right at this moment, I rock wigs that have hair down to my waist almost. I lllllllloooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee long hair and I really don't give a damn if people don't believe it's mine. As long as it looks nice and professional (I don't get crazy colors) then who cares? lol :)

I think anything past 14inches would be too long for me. I tried a 16in once and I felt like a fool with it LoL. If my natural hair is 16+ is fine, but I can't deal with hair that isn't mine being that long.

I never went longer than 12". I know realistically was my "could be" LOL close to my real length. Now that I am approaching that length simply without the fullness...its could go either way.

Of course add to it, I liked the expensive hair and 12" was still do-able.

Depends on how fake it looks. I personally prefer longer styles, but I find that if I wear them I get embarrassed because of the "butt length wig" stereotype.

I agree with this. If it looks fake (whether its 2 inches or 20) it ain't cute and it needs to go. :lol:
If the quality of the hair and the job itself are superb, then I think any length is suitable. Its just when it starts looking weavey and wiggy... and plasticky.... :nono:

anything past APL, really APL is too long for me, I usually wear wigs that look natural, so I try to keep it at SL.
However there is an small inner diva in me screaming for BSL but I keep her on mute (for now)

When I wear straight weaves, I get 18 or 20 inch hair. I'm tall, so I can pull it off. Also, as long as it looks good, I don't care if people think it's fake.

Everyone at my job wears waist length weaves, even the white girls. We're supposed to look exaggeratedly feminine and long hair makes more money.

Back