Expensive hair products that aren't worth the money

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Please share which expensive hair products aren't worth the money. When I say that they aren't "worth it", I don't mean that they just didn't work for your hair type. I mean that that the price of the product is ridiculously inflated for the product quality and the ingredients, or that the product can be easily duplicated for less. TIA - I'm a product junkie, but I like to get my money's worth. :grin:

Last edited:
Kerastase shampoo's and conditioners- Loreal Vive Pro has basically the same ingredients. They only differ by 2-3 main things. Otherwise the basic formulas are the same

Alterna- They include lots of extracts and what not but none of them really have any profound hair enhancing properites. If you want "herbal" kinds of things, you are better off with Abba or Aveda;

Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment - Cost $55

This is a huge rip off. The ingredients are :Elaeis Oleifera (American Oil Palm), Fragrance, Lecithin(a phospholipid and emollient mainly derived from common egg yolk or soybeans), Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C) , Citric Acid (Another form of Vitamin C), Serenoa Serrulata(Saw Palmetto), Prunus Africana (Pygeum Bark, also called Red Stinkwood or African Cherry).

None of the ingredients are rare or special. This product smells awful. This is solidified American Palm Oil. American Palm Oil can be purchased at any health food store for about $3 a jar. Basically this a $55 hot oil treatment.

I have always been willing to spend for the products that give me the results I want, but:........

1.Kerastase: cone city, Loreal basic recipe with miniscule amount of amazonian oil/butter that would be cheaper to buy in BULK, blase blah- I HATE how my salon hypes it up to be so high end.Locking it in cases:rolleyes: When my stylist tried to "add on" after my last service it took everything in me to say:"No I don't wan't that ish":nono:

2.biosilk - a waste for me why would I want a serum with sd alcohol in it? I think I tried the silk therapy conditioner a few years ago. BLAH!!!!

3.ojon- I prefer red palm butter in bulk thanks.

4.Carol's Daughter: not really expensive, but not worth it and too hyped up!

4.anything hyped to be "elite" with a name/marketing with not so special ingredients or nothing to set it apart from another cheaper product with similar ingredients or results. i.e. A lot of stuff at sephora

carols daughter.
i used to be in love with the hair balm and healthy hair butter but you could find better for cheaper

I have always been willing to spend for the products that give me the results I want, but:........

1.Kerastase: cone city, Loreal basic recipe with miniscule amount of amazonian oil/butter that would be cheaper to buy in BULK, blase blah- I HATE how my salon hypes it up to be so high end.Locking it in cases:rolleyes: When my stylist tried to "add on" after my last service it took everything in me to say:"No I don't wan't that ish":nono:

2.biosilk - a waste for me why would I want a serum with sd alcohol in it? I think I tried the silk therapy conditioner a few years ago. BLAH!!!!

3.ojon- I prefer red palm butter in bulk thanks.

4.Carol's Daughter: not really expensive, but not worth it and too hyped up!

4.anything hyped to be "elite" with a name/marketing with not so special ingredients or nothing to set it apart from another cheaper product with similar ingredients or results. i.e. A lot of stuff at sephora

:yep: Speaking of that, what about this

Frederic Fekkai Shea butter mask ......5oz for 22.50 and 9oz for 32oz:nono:

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Decyl Oleate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Ceteareth-20, Stearalkonium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Fragrance (parfum), Panthenol, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Seed Powderl), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil) Fruit Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Imadazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazoline, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Yellow #5 (CI 19140), Red 33 (CI 17200).

Last edited:
Oscar Blandi shampoo alla crema- shampoo for chemically treated hair

This stuff gets good reviews but for 20bucks for 8oz, you would have expected more ingredient wise. Nothing in this stuff is super expensive and it has 2 sulfates:perplexed

Water, PEG 8 Dimethicone, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polyquaternium 28, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium 11, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium 10, Cocamide MEA, PEG 8 Raspberriate, Glycol Stearate, Panthenol, Phospholipids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Panthenyl Hydoxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, CyclopentaSiloxane, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Hedera Helix Extract (Ivy), Trigonella Foenum Graecum Seed Extract, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, FD&C Yellow 5

cool thread ladies! I just purchased two MOP products and will come back w/a quick review of them. They were pricey to me but I figured what the heck. The shampoo is a no go. You would think that in order for something to be labeled as organic then it should be organic.....so not the case.

Now that I got a hold of the sample pack. I can say without a doubt Miss Jessie's EVERYTHING is wayyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Now I know if I can turn my 'kinks to curls' with some $4 sparkellites gel then the $38/$48 dolla products should be able to produce something more than frizz.

Now that I got a hold of the sample pack. I can say without a doubt Miss Jessie's EVERYTHING is wayyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Now I know if I can turn my 'kinks to curls' with some $4 sparkellites gel then the $38/$48 dolla products should be able to produce something more than frizz.

I made a derivation of the curly pudding fa fo' dollas... I echo the sentiment of others who have mentioned Carol's Daughter. High profile investors and spokespersons does not equal a fab product, just higher overhead which translates to the customer!

I made a derivation of the curly pudding fa fo' dollas... I echo the sentiment of others who have mentioned Carol's Daughter. High profile investors and spokespersons does not equal a fab product, just higher overhead which translates to the customer!

:lachen::lachen: Fo' dollas! :lol:

Please share which expensive hair products aren't worth the money. When I say that they aren't "worth it", I don't mean that they just didn't work for your hair type. I mean that that the price of the product is ridiculously inflated for the product quality and the ingredients, or that the product can be easily duplicated for less. TIA - I'm a product junkie, but I like to get my money's worth. :grin:

Can't think of any products right now but GIRL, your siggy pic is ridiculous!! :lachen::lachen:

Totally co-signing!!! :wallbash: :rolleyes: :nono:

:yep: Speaking of that, what about this

Frederic Fekkai Shea butter mask ......oz for 22.50 and 9oz for 32oz:nono:

Oscar Blandi shampoo alla crema- shampoo for chemically treated hair

This stuff gets good reviews but for 20bucks for 8oz, you would have expected more ingredient wise. Nothing in this stuff is super expensive and it has 2 sulfates:perplexed

Exactly.:yep: I refuse to pay for some bull just so I can say it's by_______ and the celebrities use it. I would rather buy me some shea butter from the Africans and mix it in something else. I also say no way no how to expensive shampoos. Detergent is detergent. Just get my hair clean without stripping it, and I'm good.

Someone on here said all Miss Jessie's is is conditioner and brown gel:lol:
And why did the products get so crappy after she "came up"?

Exactly.:yep: I refuse to pay for some bull just so I can say it's by_______ and the celebrities use it. I would rather buy me some shea butter from the Africans and mix it in something else. I also say no way no how to expensive shampoos. Detergent is detergent. Just get my hair clean without stripping it, and I'm good.

Someone on here said all Miss Jessie's is is conditioner and brown gel:lol:
And why did the products get so crappy after she "came up"?

Right. For double sulfates and ALS at that, I could go get some Fantasia IC Tea shampoo and work it out. It actually isn't that bad and is super concentrated for like 6 bucks. You know much shea butter we can get for 32 bucks :lol:

Right. For double sulfates and ALS at that, I could go get some Fantasia IC Tea shampoo and work it out. It actually isn't that bad and is super concentrated for like 6 bucks. You know much shea butter we can get for 32 bucks :lol:

Exactly!.......................................

the jury is still out on miss jessie's but for the results that ive seen, add miss jessie's to the list....:swearing:

Ditto on the Miss Jessies! I used to love the stuff, but when I was traveling had to leave the huge tubs behind. Lo and behold, I wandered into a beauty supply shop and found...Fantasia IC! $3.99 and it does the same thing- better!:grin:

Curls products...good line, just not worth the money when you can get the same thing, if not better, for less
Ms. Jessie's...'nuff said
Anita Grant...I just don't get the hype on this line...what I tried was just OK

My second set of staples are just as good as my primary staples—with a little doctoring up. :yep: I save 90 percent and get the same results. :yep: Whether it’s expensive or not, it all goes down the drain. :bouncegre

The results are what count, and my primary staples produce results so now I alternate both staples. Eventually, I will eliminate my primary staples. :sad: I prefer to save more money by getting more "bang for my buck." :woot:

Based on that Keracare can be included on this list

cool thread ladies! I just purchased two MOP products and will come back w/a quick review of them. They were pricey to me but I figured what the heck. The shampoo is a no go. You would think that in order for something to be labeled as organic then it should be organic.....so not the case.

You just jogged my memory... they have an extreme protein treatment which was an absolute JOKE on my hair! I've had way more success with ORS hair mayo than this stuff. From what I recall (and it's been a while), their extreme moisture treatment wasn't much better. :ohwell:

Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment - Cost $55

This is a huge rip off. The ingredients are :Elaeis Oleifera (American Oil Palm), Fragrance, Lecithin(a phospholipid and emollient mainly derived from common egg yolk or soybeans), Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C) , Citric Acid (Another form of Vitamin C), Serenoa Serrulata(Saw Palmetto), Prunus Africana (Pygeum Bark, also called Red Stinkwood or African Cherry).

None of the ingredients are rare or special. This product smells awful. This is solidified American Palm Oil. American Palm Oil can be purchased at any health food store for about $3 a jar. Basically this a $55 hot oil treatment.

OH NO, Not my precious OJON!!!!! :lachen::lachen:

I like the smell, and regular palm oil does nothing for my hair. So to me it's worth the money!

What's not worth the money IMO is:

NEXXUS anything

Back