Ethiopian Salons are doing healthy, BEAUTIFUL hair!!!

ScandalousBeauty

I was at work the other day and this lady came in with an absolutely beauty, APL roller set. My co-worker brought me over to her, and told me she was natural. She goes to an ETHIOPIAN salon, and swore to never, ever go to Dominicans again. She said they roller set her hair (the way she described her hair, she was a 3a/3b), it's always very full and straight. BUT, she took her friend, apparently who is a 4bcdefg, and the Ethiopian's were talking about how kinky her naps were in their language. But, the lady said her friend's hair came out AMAZING, very lush and straight and delicious!!!

This particular Ethiopian Salon is in Northern VA, off of Sterling road, in an Ethiopian Shopping Center. I don't know the area at all.

Has anyone heard anything about Ethiopian salons?!?!

Interesting. I wonder if anyone on the board has been to one. I wanna know their techniques and how they compare to the dominicans'.

Oh man so many choices! Just when I was about to get the nerve up to go the Dominicans, now I have to decide if I want to try the Ethopians...:rolleyes:

never heard of an ethiopian salon but would love to visit one, someday. When I attended college, I took several soci/wmst classes with two ethiopian ladies and their hair was ALWAYS gawjus!

Off topic a little:::: but that's what I always think in the nail salon too....that the chinese ladies are talking about people's feet in their language! haha

My friend in DC goes to an Ethiopian salon regularly. She says it's something about the way they roller set, the tension, that gets her roots straight without the :burning: from the dominican dryer. She loves it.

I really wanna give you the scoop, but that's all the lady told me. She didn't know the name or anything!!! grrr...But she said it was up the street from Tysons Corner, and I think that area is Vienna. She said go up rt. 123, and its off of Sterling rd. I'll do a google search.

No but can we get the goods on that salon? :look:

Yep, a friend of mine that lives in the MD area goes to a Ethiopian stylist for roller sets. She also rants and raves about their roller sets. Especially when she is 6-8 weeks post relaxer. She states she can usually stretch her relaxer another 3-4 weeks when she goes to the Ethiopian salon.

My friend in DC goes to an Ethiopian salon regularly. She says it's something about the way they roller set, the tension, that gets her roots straight without the :burning: from the dominican dryer. She loves it.

My bf always got her hair rollerset from her ethopian roommate.
She is a 3a/b natural with BSL/MBL hair and even tough she always airdried her hair came out super smooth.
However her friend was pulling her hair pretty taught so I'm not sure it was healthy.

The one salon owned by an ethopian women I knew(in Germany) was the worst salon for blk hair I ever visited period

There are a cluster of about 6 Ethopian salons located off of George Mason Dr. (right off of King St., before you get to Target). One of my co-workers is Ethopian and we went after work.

We went to Show (pronounced Show-a) Beauty Salon (Show is the owner), did a fabulous job. But just like Dominican's the wash, set and pull out the portable hell (dryer) and roundbrush. Finishing with very little products, it was crowded, but moved quickly. Cost $30

For the Toronto ladies, there is/was and Ethiopian salon on Sherbourne, north of Wellesley. It's by the No Frills. I saw it over a year ago, so I hope it's still there if anyone is interested.

Lys

I used to work at Express in Pentagon City, VA, and one of the managers (Simone) got her hair done by the Ethiopians. She said she went to one in Silver Spring (if I remember correctly). Her hair looked like ones would if you went to the Dominicans. It was VERY straight, none of those short, broken pieces, and it always looked fabulous.

Would like to know how many women are like me.....have natural hair that gets a rollerset. I have mine done at a regular black salon...not Dominican. I have nothing against Dominican Salon except the distance to drive. I live in the Bowie area of Maryland and would have to drive quite a few miles to the Silver Springs area.

I believe the Dominicans are cheaper but that savings would be eaten up by the additional gas cost. I should add that my hairdresser states I'm her only natural hari customer that gets a rollerset. I use red/orange size rollers. On Sunday, I used the grey...since it wasn't as tightly rolled, she went back with the back of the curling iron and flatten the roots just a bit. I'm always satisfied with a rollerset.

Any others??

Would like to know how many women are like me.....have natural hair that gets a rollerset. I have mine done at a regular black salon...not Dominican. I have nothing against Dominican Salon except the distance to drive. I live in the Bowie area of Maryland and would have to drive quite a few miles to the Silver Springs area.

I believe the Dominicans are cheaper but that savings would be eaten up by the additional gas cost. I should add that my hairdresser states I'm her only natural hari customer that gets a rollerset. I use red/orange size rollers. On Sunday, I used the grey...since it wasn't as tightly rolled, she went back with the back of the curling iron and flatten the roots just a bit. I'm always satisfied with a rollerset.

Any others??

I used to work at Express in Pentagon City, VA, and one of the managers (Simone) got her hair done by the Ethiopians. She said she went to one in Silver Spring (if I remember correctly). Her hair looked like ones would if you went to the Dominicans. It was VERY straight, none of those short, broken pieces, and it always looked fabulous.

Can you find out where in Silver Spring. I live in that area...;)

The ethiopian salons do nothing special (for the most part). Most ethiopians just get there hair rollerset... that's it. Sometimes they might flat iron over the roller set but most of my friends get a rollerset then throw it up into a ponytail. Most ethiopians (that I know) don't do much to their hair. They rarely relax their hair and when they do it's only like twice a year. I think the key to their length and the health of their hair is low minipulation and minimal products. I would assume that you could get the same results by going to the dominicans and not getting the blow out. Just the set.

I was at work the other day and this lady came in with an absolutely beauty, APL roller set. My co-worker brought me over to her, and told me she was natural. She goes to an ETHIOPIAN salon, and swore to never, ever go to Dominicans again. She said they roller set her hair (the way she described her hair, she was a 3a/3b), it's always very full and straight. BUT, she took her friend, apparently who is a 4bcdefg, and the Ethiopian's were talking about how kinky her naps were in their language. But, the lady said her friend's hair came out AMAZING, very lush and straight and delicious!!!

This particular Ethiopian Salon is in Northern VA, off of Sterling road, in an Ethiopian Shopping Center. I don't know the area at all.

Has anyone heard anything about Ethiopian salons?!?!

I work off of Sterling Blvd near Tyson's. Is it Sterling Blvd or Rd? I have never heard of Ethiopian Salons in Virginia, only in MD. That would be great if there was one around here. Could you try to find out where it is? I'm a natural and would like to try them out. I'm too cared of the Dominicans!:look:

I want to know if they do braids. I had a nice Ethiopian lady braid my hair in her house and she did an excellent job! She said "back home" all the women learn how to braid when they're young.

For the Toronto ladies, there is/was and Ethiopian salon on Sherbourne, north of Wellesley. It's by the No Frills. I saw it over a year ago, so I hope it's still there if anyone is interested.

Lys

Also, I can imagine there would be some in jungle but I'm not sure....theres mad ethiopians there

I really wanna give you the scoop, but that's all the lady told me. She didn't know the name or anything!!! grrr...But she said it was up the street from Tysons Corner, and I think that area is Vienna. She said go up rt. 123, and its off of Sterling rd. I'll do a google search.

I just did a little research, and Sterling road is no where near rt 123. Plus Sterling rd is a residential area. Is it off of Elden st? I know Sheleedez Salon is over there somewhere. Is that the same place?

My friend went to one in DC and she also had gone to Dominicans in MD...she said the primary difference was that the Ethiopians were heavy handed with oils and almost drenched her hair. She said it was fine after a couple days but she wasnt feeling it at first :nono: She is a 3c.

I went to Ethiopianbusinessonline.com and typed in salons to look it up. There are several in the Maryland/DC area. Hope that helps:yep:

Interesting. The lady that I talked to was a customer that came in for a makeover and I don't have any contact information for her. I live near Baltimore and I know nothing about No. VA except how to get to Tysons and back home. Sorry!

I work off of Sterling Blvd near Tyson's. Is it Sterling Blvd or Rd? I have never heard of Ethiopian Salons in Virginia, only in MD. That would be great if there was one around here. Could you try to find out where it is? I'm a natural and would like to try them out. I'm too cared of the Dominicans!:look:

Well here's my 2 cent....I've been to both and both do a great job.

IMO the HEAT has been less intense with Ethiopian stylists.

I currently go to: www.salonrevive.com for my occassional straight styles and color treatments. Salon Revive is an Aveda concept salon and is owned and operated by 2 Ethiopian stylists. My stylist Name is Yodit and she is EXCELLENT with both natural/relaxed and color treated hair. Actually she has one of the most "diverse" clientele I've seen for a stylist of color. The hair comes out exactly the way orig poster described.

When I go I have my hair roller set and quickly flat ironed after. Very bouncy silky hair that [can] last for weeks. IMO they're roller set game is tighter than the Dominicans....hard to believe I know but it's true IMO.

I have pics in my fotki from my last visit. Feel free to view.

HTH

Last edited:
Back