Dominican salons--maybe not for everyone? (Kind of long)

Yeah, I guess finding a GOOD stylist/salon is almost like looking for a needle in a haystack! LOL*

I just think that I need to take a break from salons in general right now. AT least until I nurse my hair back to health. I guess I have taken out all of my beef on "dominican salons" (even though this is a generalization) since I've noticed that my hair feels thinner and thinner after going to them.

I cheer anyone who goes to them and has thriving hair afterwards. :) I just don't think my type of hair can take it though. :-/ Like SandySea said, many of those black women who get their hair blown out usually have nice thick, strong hair to begin with. My hair is fine and easily tangled. So, you can just imagine what a rollerset is like.

But I DO like how my hair feels after going to them. It also helps me with stretching my relaxers. I just dont' know what I'm going to do when I come to 10 weeks post and don't have a professionally done rollerset. Man...I'll probably be looking like crap. LOL*

What do some of you ladies do to stretch your relaxers without going to a salon for a rollerset?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I didn't go to Dominican salons when I was in Miami, but I kept up here with threads on them just so I'd know what to expect when/if I ever got a chance to frequent one.

Now that I'm in NJ/NYC, I've been noticing that a lot of techniques have "snuck in" to Dominican regimens, esp. when it comes to coily or highly textured hair.

For example - in posts about Dom. salons, I NEVER read about the use of hot curlers, flat irons or any other implement except the blow dryer and a round brush. But in the Dominican salons I've gone to, they have tried to put hot curlers in my hair or flat iron it! When I refused, one woman had the nerve to say to the other, in Spanish: "The black girls need it to get their hair straight." I calmly answered: Esta negra no lo necesita, and I asked ANOTHER lady to wrap my hair. I haven't gone back to that place.

In posts I read about Dom. salons, I NEVER read about the use of heavy greases or oils after a blowout or a doobie. In fact, it was the use of light oils and serums that attracted me to the regime. But in another Dominican salon I went to, before I could even blink, the woman slathered this heavy, nasty-smelling grease on my hair. When I told her that I hadn't wanted that, she proceeded to say that it would "keep moisture" in my hair. Uh. No. I couldn't wait to shampoo that mess out.

I'm sure this is not true for many Dominican salons, but the ones I have gone to have begun incorporating some of the more damaging techniques of AA salons, perhaps in an attempt to draw more AA clients and make them feel more comfortable? I don't know. What I do know is that I didn't feel that my hair was benefiting from the Dominican treatment that I have gotten thus far. For the past two weeks, I have been washing, deep-conditioning and rollersetting my hair myself. Does it look as good as when I go to the salon? No. But I can get my hair relatively straight, with not a lot of breakage, and I'm saving $35 a pop.

So are Dominican salons for everyone? I don't think so - but I agree with all who said that any hair can thrive if given top-notch treatment. If I can find a convenient salon that will treat my tresses gently, I'll be back in a heartbeat. For now, though, I'm going to try dealing with my hair on my terms.

OE

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Yeah, I guess finding a GOOD stylist/salon is almost like looking for a needle in a haystack! LOL*

I just think that I need to take a break from salons in general right now. AT least until I nurse my hair back to health. I guess I have taken out all of my beef on "dominican salons" (even though this is a generalization) since I've noticed that my hair feels thinner and thinner after going to them.

I cheer anyone who goes to them and has thriving hair afterwards. :) I just don't think my type of hair can take it though. :-/ Like SandySea said, many of those black women who get their hair blown out usually have nice thick, strong hair to begin with. My hair is fine and easily tangled. So, you can just imagine what a rollerset is like.

But I DO like how my hair feels after going to them. It also helps me with stretching my relaxers. I just dont' know what I'm going to do when I come to 10 weeks post and don't have a professionally done rollerset. Man...I'll probably be looking like crap. LOL*

What do some of you ladies do to stretch your relaxers without going to a salon for a rollerset?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Firstly, are you sure that your hair can really tolerate stretching a relaxer? How long are you stretching? For many type 4s, 8 weeks is really the limit.

Also, maybe you should try to learn how to rollerset yourself, then you wont be dependent on these stylists. Or try the ponytail method of hairdrying.

Well you are right saying that they are not for all. I am a salon girl you know the tea the robe etc. but my schedule is not what it use to be and hearing about the dom. made me say hey I will try it, so i did. I have learned a lot about my hair. The thing is i do not let them blow my hair out. I use to get the round brush done but that was thinning my hair out. It was long but thin at the ends. that is not the long hair i want. so i cut it off, not by a dom but a regular stylist. well i still visit the dominicans even when they post signs in the salon that "we require perms every 4-6 weeks" HA HA!
The sad thing is there are people who take EVERYTHING they say for gospel.
So dom. salons are good for a wash and set but that is it for me.

Last edited:
tryn2growmyhair said:
Firstly, are you sure that your hair can really tolerate stretching a relaxer? How long are you stretching? For many type 4s, 8 weeks is really the limit.

Also, maybe you should try to learn how to rollerset yourself, then you wont be dependent on these stylists. Or try the ponytail method of hairdrying.

Hmmm...good question. I THINK it should be okay to stretch my relaxer to 14 weeks. I've done it twice and didn't have too much trouble. I've been noticing that my hair at my roots and up is MUCH healthier and thicker than the hair by my ends now that I stretch. So I think it's helping my hair. Plus, I use a mild relaxer now so the texture difference in my virgin hair and relaxed hair isn't AS great as it would be if I had say a regular strength or Super strength relaxer.

In answer to some of your questions:

Yes, I live in Maryland, and although I'm sure I haven't tried ALL the dominican salons in MD, I tried two of the most talked about. I've been to Luisa's about 3 times, and Jaselvis' twice. Trust me, after my first root blowout at Luisa's I have NEVER gotten a blowout again. I KNEW my hair just could take it...not even on "just the roots". So, I just continued going to the Dom. salons but getting rollersets ONLY. Still...my hair kept feeling so thin! I think maybe that first blowout really traumatized my hair, because my hair was thicker before I got the blowout. :-/

Anyway, I don't mind any suggestions on NEW dominican salons in the MD area that some of you personally like to go to. I'm always up for new things. But, right now, I don't think it's worth it to keep going to the Dom. salon still trying to "figure out" if it's really their techniques or not that is thinning my hair out. I'd rather look like crap and keep the hair on my head! LOL* I don't care if my hair doesn't look beauty salon "fresh" everyday. Right now I just want to keep the hair that's on my scalp! LOL*

Last edited:
I’ll tell you ladies a story. I used to go to a Dominican salon. At first I love, absolutely adored the way my hair came out. It was incredibly soft and “bouncy”. But over a year’s time, my hair was getting thinner and thinner to the point that it wasn’t so bouncy anymore it was just soft. Well, I stopped going to the DOM and went back to my child hood stylist who said that she could “fix” my hair. I discussed with her about my previous stylist (the DOM) and she told me how back when her salon first opened their was a DOM salon across the street. She said most of the girls back then were Howard Univ. students and would get their hair done by the DOM for one, because of the low price and secondly they gave you a rather easy to manage style. But slowly but surely she said they started coming to her with unhealthy, damaged hair that she would try to “fix”. She said the irony in this is that after their hair became healthy again, they went right back to the DOM.

After 2 months of going to her I had absolutely no hair in the back. My hair broke down to the roots from being previously damaged by the DOM and she recommended that I just stay away from heat, perms and everything for awhile.

After 3 months, I feel in love with my new growth and decided to go natural and I haven’t been to any salon ever since. So I know for sure Dominican salons aren’t for everyone :(

cutebajangirl said:
IMO, the blow out is not for fine 4b hair. I think that the combo of heat and pulling is too much for the delicate strands to handle. Finding someone who is gentle is like looking for a needle in a haystack with any type of hairdresser. When I go to a Dominican or any salon for that matter I only let them rollerset and refuse a blow out except for rare occasions like a date or LHCF meeting. :) So Crystal I would continue to go and speak up when you have an issue and just get a rollerset. Tell them to roll tightly so the roots get stretched and you wont need to get anything blown. If necessary I will get a rollerset and come home and run a warm flat iron over the roots for more shine and swing factor. HTH.

Excellent, idea Cutebajangirl. This is what I do sometimes when I don't let them blow it out. Actually most times just wrapping the hair takes care of the roots, if the rollerset was nice and taut. I see a lot of ladies just wrapping after a wash and set or leaving the salon with the curls just like that especially when they recently had a relaxer. If you want you can try this.

Is there anyone who went/goes to dom salon and does not get blow outs?

I found that this process did not work for me or my extra fine hair. I like the way my hair comes out when I got to the Dom salons (again, I walk them thru the way I like it), but I do not let them put that hotter than hot blow dryer on my head. I can totally understand anyone having breakage from it. The only time I would let them blow my roots was after a relaxer (so I wouldn't have the roller marks)...I get a doobie only, and if I have somewhere to go after--I let her wrap with no pins and comb down after 1 min and it looks GREAT!

Initially (back in 98) I would get the dryer and found it too hot and my scalp would be sore-- I bumped into a girl who I knew always goes to a dom salon and her hair was long and healthy, she told me she never lets them blow dry her hair....that was it for me.. :)

Of course do what works for your hair....and pocket. I see people getting their hair blown dry and then wrapped and I don't understand why put the extra heat on your hair???

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Hmmm...good question. I THINK it should be okay to stretch my relaxer to 14 weeks. I've done it twice and didn't have too much trouble. I've been noticing that my hair at my roots and up is MUCH healthier and thicker than the hair by my ends now that I stretch. So I think it's helping my hair. Plus, I use a mild relaxer now so the texture difference in my virgin hair and relaxed hair isn't AS great as it would be if I had say a regular strength or Super strength relaxer.

In answer to some of your questions:

Yes, I live in Maryland, and although I'm sure I haven't tried ALL the dominican salons in MD, I tried two of the most talked about. I've been to Luisa's about 3 times, and Jaselvis' twice. Trust me, after my first root blowout at Luisa's I have NEVER gotten a blowout again. I KNEW my hair just could take it...not even on "just the roots". So, I just continued going to the Dom. salons but getting rollersets ONLY. Still...my hair kept feeling so thin! I think maybe that first blowout really traumatized my hair, because my hair was thicker before I got the blowout. :-/

Anyway, I don't mind any suggestions on NEW dominican salons in the MD area that some of you personally like to go to. I'm always up for new things. But, right now, I don't think it's worth it to keep going to the Dom. salon still trying to "figure out" if it's really their techniques or not that is thinning my hair out. I'd rather look like crap and keep the hair on my head! LOL* I don't care if my hair doesn't look beauty salon "fresh" everyday. Right now I just want to keep the hair that's on my scalp! LOL*

I reccomend Visions salon in Adam's Morgan. There are two stylists that I love. Shelly is African American and knows how to do the Dominican blowouts very well. Judy (my regular stylist) is a brown skin Dominican woman who is very, very gentle with my hair. She only blows my roots and my hair's health has improved (less breakage) since I've been going there. Here is the contact information.

Visions Hair Salon (Adam's Morgan)
2318 18th Street, N.W.
(202) 797-9513

lkg4healthyhair said:
Is there anyone who went/goes to dom salon and does not get blow outs?

I found that this process did not work for me or my extra fine hair. I like the way my hair comes out when I got to the Dom salons (again, I walk them thru the way I like it), but I do not let them put that hotter than hot blow dryer on my head. I can totally understand anyone having breakage from it. The only time I would let them blow my roots was after a relaxer (so I wouldn't have the roller marks)...I get a doobie only, and if I have somewhere to go after--I let her wrap with no pins and comb down after 1 min and it looks GREAT!

Initially (back in 98) I would get the dryer and found it too hot and my scalp would be sore-- I bumped into a girl who I knew always goes to a dom salon and her hair was long and healthy, she told me she never lets them blow dry her hair....that was it for me.. :)

Of course do what works for your hair....and pocket. I see people getting their hair blown dry and then wrapped and I don't understand why put the extra heat on your hair???
I stopped getting blowouts before quitting the DS altogether and it did not help. Why? Because there are a number of things that many of them do the moment you get into the salon:

- The Assembly Line Method: This promotes a lack of responsibility, IMO. If there is one stylist who does the hair the entire time, she will be responsible if your hair gets jacked up as opposed to the finger pointing that can go on with this routine. They know that the tip will be divided, so are less likely to take care with their task. The point of this method is to go as quickly as possible. One shampoo girl left so much conditioner in my hair that the stylist had to take me back to rinse the hair out a second time herself.

-The Shampooing by Scraping Nails against The Hair and Scalp Technique: Nuff Said

-Skimping On Product or Mixing Product or using their own Generic Shampoos and Conditioners: They were very mysterious about what they put in these products, so many people would bring their own. But what am I paying for? Can you imagine the thousands of dollars that they save every year by either diluting products or having customers bring their own supplies? One shampoo girl had the nerve to insist that they charge me for a color when I brought my own bottle of Beautiful Browns to the salon! I could have done it at home!

-Combing the Hair with that Fine Tooth (AKA Free Haircut) Comb

-Having Clients Sit Under Superhot Bonnet Dryers: I know that this is cheaper for the salon for because it lowers the amount of time that people will be sitting under the drier and maximizes customers but it is superbad for our hair

-Constant Trims: Its a vicious cycle because all of the heat and rough technique that they used would always result in split ends for my babyfine hair, especially when I was going to them every week to two weeks, so they would constantly tell me to get trims. The result is that my hair never grew. Now, with the baggie method and protective styling and NO HEAT method my hair is growing.

So you see, my friends, I realized that much of the damage had been done BEFORE the blowout :eek:. The blowout was just the proverbial icing on the cake. Now I know that everyone's experience is different, this has just been my experience with the DS in NYC. And when I look closely at the ends of many women who go to DS, their hair -- while swingy and bouncy -- is thinning unless it is very thick to begin with. And a lot of salons engage in some of these techniques, not only DS. Which is another reason why I do everything except the relaxer at home.

For that reason I decided to save my pennies,my hair and my scalp and do my hair myself. Save myself money and aggravation, LOL!

tryn2growmyhair said:
I stopped getting blowouts before quitting the DS altogether and it did not help. Why? Because there are a number of things that many of them do the moment you get into the salon:

-Having Clients Sit Under Superhot Bonnet Dryers: I know that this is cheaper for the salon for because it lowers the amount of time that people will be sitting under the drier and maximizes customers but it is superbad for our hair

OMG...I KNEW that super hot bonnet dryer wasn't GOOD for my hair! I usually always have to turn the temp. down some when I'm under it because I'm sorry, but it is just WAAAAY too freakin' HOT! One time though, one of the stylists saw me doing this, and said: "no. don't do that", and then proceeded to turn the temperature back up on the dryer to the high degree that it was. I was TOO through!! >:-(

Besides, I never really saw the difference between SUPER hot dryers and curling irons. If you ask me they're BOTH doing the same damage to the hair. Sure, the dryer may not be "direct" heat on your hair, but wha'ts the difference between 40 minutes under a SUPER hot bonnet dryer and 3 seconds of a curling iron on your hair?? I mean, have you put your hand under that SUPER hot dryer for just 10 seconds?? I couldn't even hold my own hand under that dryer for 10 little seconds without it burning my hand. So, imagine what it's doing to my hair for 40 MINUTES! I'm sure my hair get's just as hot as with the iron. :-/

I swear...I can't win....

Thanks for your experience blkbeauty. Wow, your experience says a lot.

Thank you for the recommendation to the Visions salon RessieCup. I think I may go check this salon out when I nurse my hair back to health and thickness again. :) Has anyone else had any experience @ the Visions salon in Adams Morgan?

Crystalicequeen123 said:
OMG...I KNEW that super hot bonnet dryer wasn't GOOD for my hair! I usually always have to turn the temp. down some when I'm under it because I'm sorry, but it is just WAAAAY too freakin' HOT! One time though, one of the stylists saw me doing this, and said: "no. don't do that", and then proceeded to turn the temperature back up on the dryer to the high degree that it was. I was TOO through!! >:-(
I believe those dryers are part of what caused my splits that and the rough rollersets (that's why I posted a thread asking if rollersets cause breakage http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=51886) My hair is very fragile and breaks easily, so I have to be really careful with it. Even though my hair is not problem-free, it is in better shape now that I have stopped going to the Dominicans.

msniq said:
I use to get the round brush done but that was thinning my hair out. It was long but thin at the ends. that is not the long hair i want. so i cut it off, not by a dom but a regular stylist.

This is exactly what happened to me. My hair was long and SEE-THROUGH. I later on learned from an AA stylist that the round brush is really bad for the hair and I figured out that that was another one of the "free" haircut methods that the Dominicans and some other stylists unknowingly use. :look:

tryn2growmyhair said:

- The Assembly Line Method: This promotes a lack of responsibility, IMO. If there is one stylist who does the hair the entire time, she will be responsible if your hair gets jacked up as opposed to the finger pointing that can go on with this routine. They know that the tip will be divided, so are less likely to take care with their task. The point of this method is to go as quickly as possible. One shampoo girl left so much conditioner in my hair that the stylist had to take me back to rinse the hair out a second time herself.

-The Shampooing by Scraping Nails against The Hair and Scalp Technique: Nuff Said

-Skimping On Product or Mixing Product or using their own Generic Shampoos and Conditioners: They were very mysterious about what they put in these products, so many people would bring their own. But what am I paying for? Can you imagine the thousands of dollars that they save every year by either diluting products or having customers bring their own supplies? One shampoo girl had the nerve to insist that they charge me for a color when I brought my own bottle of Beautiful Browns to the salon! I could have done it at home!

-Combing the Hair with that Fine Tooth (AKA Free Haircut) Comb

-Constant Trims: Its a vicious cycle because all of the heat and rough technique that they used would always result in split ends for my babyfine hair, especially when I was going to them every week to two weeks, so they would constantly tell me to get trims. The result is that my hair never grew. Now, with the baggie method and protective styling and NO HEAT method my hair is growing.

So you see, my friends, I realized that much of the damage had been done BEFORE the blowout :eek:. The blowout was just the proverbial icing on the cake. Now I know that everyone's experience is different, this has just been my experience with the DS in NYC. And when I look closely at the ends of many women who go to DS, their hair -- while swingy and bouncy -- is thinning unless it is very thick to begin with. And a lot of salons engage in some of these techniques, not only DS. Which is another reason why I do everything except the relaxer at home.

For that reason I decided to save my pennies,my hair and my scalp and do my hair myself. Save myself money and aggravation, LOL!

Tryn2Grow I totally agree with you..I guess that's why before I decided to go back to the dom salons I decided that the above things are damaging I make sure they don't do to my hair:

-I don't let them scrub my scalp (i show them before hand how I want it smoothed in a circular motion)
-Bring my own prouduct down to the rinse/detangler (They're just sitting undre my sink anyway)
-I make sure that they use a large tooth comb and I bring my Jilbere just in case :) --and no rough detanling
-I make sure the dryer is not too hot for me (can't take it). My hair dries in 20 mins and I put it on warm to cool
-I only let 1 person trim my hair and she has been doing it for years now because I trust her...I still have her show me after she starts..force of habit ;)

I would like to add this is a new salon I am going to and is around the corner from my home in NJ :D ..its easier to go weekly there. The salon I had been going to for years that I really like and don't have to give them direction on my hair is in NY..I just can't make that weekly trip with a newborn at home.

Dom Salons are definitely not for everyone...but like with any salon always speak up and be your own advocate. :) and do what's best for you....

Last edited by a moderator:
lkg4healthyhair said:
Tryn2Grow I totally agree with you..I guess that's why before I decided to go back to the dom salons I decided that the above things are damaging I make sure they don't do to my hair:

-I don't let them scrub my scalp (i show them before hand how I want it smoothed in a circular motion)
-Bring my own prouduct down to the rinse/detangler (They're just sitting undre my sink anyway)
-I make sure that they use a large tooth comb and I bring my Jilbere just in case :) --and no rough detanling
-I make sure the dryer is not too hot for me (can't take it). My hair dries in 20 mins and I put it on warm to cool
-I only let 1 person trim my hair and she has been doing it for years now because I trust her...I still have her show me after she starts..force of habit ;)

I would like to add this is a new salon I am going to and is around the corner from my home in NJ :D ..its easier to go weekly there. The salon I had been going to for years that I really like and don't have to give them direction on my hair is in NY..I just can't make that weekly trip with a newborn at home.

Dom Salons are definitely not for everyone...but like with any salon always speak up and be your own advocate. :) and do what's best for you....
I completely agree with you as well. You are lucky that you have found a salon that would listen. At the DS that I used to go to, the stylists would get resentful when I would tell them how I wanted my hair to be and would still be rough with it. That's why I stopped going there.

Back