Ethiopian Salons are doing healthy, BEAUTIFUL hair!!!

Would like to know how many women are like me.....have natural hair that gets a rollerset. I have mine done at a regular black salon...not Dominican. I have nothing against Dominican Salon except the distance to drive. I live in the Bowie area of Maryland and would have to drive quite a few miles to the Silver Springs area.

I believe the Dominicans are cheaper but that savings would be eaten up by the additional gas cost. I should add that my hairdresser states I'm her only natural hari customer that gets a rollerset. I use red/orange size rollers. On Sunday, I used the grey...since it wasn't as tightly rolled, she went back with the back of the curling iron and flatten the roots just a bit. I'm always satisfied with a rollerset.

Any others??

I am actually thinking about having this done to my hair. I am natural too. I once saw a lady with 100% natural hair with the most beautiful rollerset and I have been thinking about getting that done to my hair ever since.

Well here's my 2 cent....I've been to both and both do a great job.

IMO the HEAT has been less intense with Ethiopian stylists.

I currently go to: www.salonrevive.com for my occassional straight styles and color treatments. Salon Revive is an Aveda concept salon and is owned and operated by 2 Ethiopian stylists. My stylist Name is Yodit and she is EXCELLENT with both natural/relaxed and color treated hair. Actually she has one of the most "diverse" clientele I've seen for a stylist of color. The hair comes out exactly the way orig poster described.

When I go I have my hair roller set and quickly flat ironed after. Very bouncy silky hair that [can] last for weeks. IMO they're roller set game is tighter than the Dominicans....hard to believe I know but it's true IMO.

I have pics in my fotki from my last visit. Feel free to view.

HTH

Thanks! Your hair color looks wonderful.

Oh oh....I might have to go see them....

I currently go to: www.salonrevive.com for my occassional straight styles and color treatments. Salon Revive is an Aveda concept salon and is owned and operated by 2 Ethiopian stylists. My stylist Name is Yodit and she is EXCELLENT with both natural/relaxed and color treated hair. Actually she has one of the most "diverse" clientele I've seen for a stylist of color. The hair comes out exactly the way orig poster described.

When I go I have my hair roller set and quickly flat ironed after. Very bouncy silky hair that [can] last for weeks. IMO they're roller set game is tighter than the Dominicans....hard to believe I know but it's true IMO.

HTH

HTH

I agree, Yodit does great work. I've only been to her once since she opened her new place, but went to her more than a few times when she was at Salon Cielo. She did my color and I got so many compliments, and it stayed healthy (I was a little bleached)

HTH

Oh, sweetheart! That's right. I had forgotten that Yodit is Ethiopian. I made an appointment for next Friday.:yep:

I agree, Yodit does great work. I've only been to her once since she opened her new place, but went to her more than a few times when she was at Salon Cielo. She did my color and I got so many compliments, and it stayed healthy (I was a little bleached)

Does she do good relaxers? I have 3+ inches of underprocessed NG.:nono:

Almaz Diamond Hair Salon <---I go here
3811-B S. George Mason Dr.
Falls Church, VA 22041
Tel.(703)820-6990

Abeba's Hair Salon
4620 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20011
(202) 882-2959

Amy Unisex Hair Salon
2407 18th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009
Tel.(202)299-9009

Spa Mesu hair, nail, skin
8215 Fenton St.
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Tel.(301)585-7506

Sunshine Beauty Salon
3813-A South George Mason Dr.
Falls Church, VA 22041

there are two dominican salons right here in greenbelt....when you pass beltway plaza coming from bowie...

Would like to know how many women are like me.....have natural hair that gets a rollerset. I have mine done at a regular black salon...not Dominican. I have nothing against Dominican Salon except the distance to drive. I live in the Bowie area of Maryland and would have to drive quite a few miles to the Silver Springs area.

I believe the Dominicans are cheaper but that savings would be eaten up by the additional gas cost. I should add that my hairdresser states I'm her only natural hari customer that gets a rollerset. I use red/orange size rollers. On Sunday, I used the grey...since it wasn't as tightly rolled, she went back with the back of the curling iron and flatten the roots just a bit. I'm always satisfied with a rollerset.

Any others??

I've been to an Ethiopian salon once in Silverspring and they did an amazing job...
it was a while though and I was visiting...so it did not occur to me to take a business card

I used to work at Express in Pentagon City, VA, and one of the managers (Simone) got her hair done by the Ethiopians. She said she went to one in Silver Spring (if I remember correctly). Her hair looked like ones would if you went to the Dominicans. It was VERY straight, none of those short, broken pieces, and it always looked fabulous.
I might have to find this place. I'm going to Silver Spring next week.

At my old salon there was an African lady who came in. Her hair was all over her head. Like a pocupine. :blush:The sylist who was African-american asked her did she want a relaxer:look:. She said No. :perplexedJust a wash and roller set.

Well she washed and roller set her hair and it was beautiful. Thick and lush. Don't know what the secret was but her hair looked like she had a relaxer. I saw it with my own eyes. :yep:

My aunt is natural and recently started going to an Ethiopian salon. Her hair has never looked better. The stylist she goes to only charges 30.00 for a poo, dc with steam, trim, blowdry & flat iron or rollerset. I think I'll check her out once I get a lil more length.

is this in dc?

My aunt is natural and recently started going to an Ethiopian salon. Her hair has never looked better. The stylist she goes to only charges 30.00 for a poo, dc with steam, trim, blowdry & flat iron or rollerset. I think I'll check her out once I get a lil more length.

Would your salon be in Houston, Hurricane? If so, could you give the name and number...I've been wanting to do this for a while.

TIA!

At my old salon there was an African lady who came in. Her hair was all over her head. Like a pocupine. :blush:The sylist who was African-american asked her did she want a relaxer:look:. She said No. :perplexedJust a wash and roller set.

Well she washed and roller set her hair and it was beautiful. Thick and lush. Don't know what the secret was but her hair looked like she had a relaxer. I saw it with my own eyes. :yep:

I forgot to post my review I frequent three in the falls church virginia area and my hair comes out lovely feels really silky my mom and I bout go my mom is a 3b natural and Im a 3b/c/4a there are pics in my fotki from my visit this past thursday as well as my avi pic.

I don't know if this was posted but this is waht I found on this website:

Abeba's Hair Salon
4620 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20011
(202) 882-2959

Amy Unisex Hair Salon
2407 18th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009
Tel.(202)299-9009

Spa Mesu hair, nail, skin
8215 Fenton St.
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Tel.(301)585-7506

Almaz Diamond Hair Salon
3811-B S. George Mason Dr.
Falls Church, VA 22041
Tel.(703)820-6990

Liya's Hair & Nail Salon
3257 Columbia Pike
Arlington, VA 22204
Tel(703)920-7720

Sunshine Beauty Salon
3813-A South George Mason Dr.
Falls Church, VA 22041

Ok so can everyone in NJ and NYC get together so we can find one or two of these salons in our area? I'm trying to search and I just keep gettng MD...shoot I'm not moving there yet!

oh..can the ppl in MD and VA ask if they know of salons up here in NJ???? Cuz my head is startin to hurt thinking of ways to search ...

HTH

OMG.....They do rollersets well, use Aveda, and offer the Phytorelaxer?? :dance7:

It's too good to be true....I will be visiting this salon as soon as I get back to DC in a couple of weeks :yep:.

I was at work the other day and this lady came in with an absolutely beauty, APL roller set. My co-worker brought me over to her, and told me she was natural. She goes to an ETHIOPIAN salon, and swore to never, ever go to Dominicans again. She said they roller set her hair (the way she described her hair, she was a 3a/3b), it's always very full and straight. BUT, she took her friend, apparently who is a 4bcdefg, and the Ethiopian's were talking about how kinky her naps were in their language. But, the lady said her friend's hair came out AMAZING, very lush and straight and delicious!!!

This particular Ethiopian Salon is in Northern VA, off of Sterling road, in an Ethiopian Shopping Center. I don't know the area at all.

Has anyone heard anything about Ethiopian salons?!?!

I think I'll pass on this one. If a Black American shop owner was talking about how nappy my hair was I would not hesitate to get to steppin'. I guess I wouldn't know if they were speaking another language but since you told me I think I'll pass.

Back