"Easily Accessible and Affordable Hair Care" Review list

What Hair Care line/product do you love that is cheap n' chic?

• Total voters
I like Pantene Hair Mask for Damaged hair.
Suave Cocount Conditioner for co-washes
Suave Clarifying Shampoo used twice a month
ORS Repleneshing Pak
Extra Virgin Olive Oil heated for pre-poo
Softee Hemp Hair grease
Wild Growth Hair Oil
NTM Hair Masque
CON Shampoo (Red label)
Nexxus Humectress mixed with oil

I like ORS olive oil mositurzer, and Elasta QP mango butter, but nothing beats my hair milk, so there are just some things I splurge on. For shampoo and conditioners I like loreal color vive, or ganier shampoos.

Africa's Best makes some wonderful, inexpensive products. Herbal Oil (1.94 @ WalMart), Liquid Hair Mayo (3.79 WalMart, Target), Hair Mayo (3.99 almost everywhere)

ElastaQP makes an excellent color response neutralizing poo (1.99 @ Sallys) Also, Breakage control serum.

Sally's Proclaim line and Silk Elements are great, and the card makes it even better.

I've used Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor, 2 Min Reconstructor, Treatment for damaged hair, and ProV Con and have been very happy. These are all at Sally's.
The ORS Replenishing Paks are $1 at Family Dollar!!!

More from me:

Sunsilk's TLC Hair Creme is good as a leave-in. I will be purchasing once I am out of Silicon Mix Leave-in.

Indian oils are good, even though they aren't found in the grocery stores. But if you go to indian grocery stores they are cheap. I get oils for 2-5 bucks and they are excellent quality.

I am currently trying to establish a drugstore routine. I am gonna try my Herbal essences conditioners again tonight.

Creme of Nature Detangling Conditioning Shampoo (Red Label)

Doo Gro Triple Strength Anti-Breakage Growth Detangler- Smells good and cuts through 2 month twisted 4a hair in no time. Leaves my hair feeling soft and fluffy once it dries.

Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Creme- works wonders on dry twist outs for me.

Doo-Gro Moisturizing Growth Shampoo- Cleans without stripping the hair and gives a kind of slip I can't really describe

Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructerizer- I normally use this during the summer since it makes my coils pop.

Elasta QP H-Two- Gave it a second try and realized that it didn't work very well on my hair the first time due to build up. Now that I use fewer styling products, it's wonderful.

Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango Cholesterol- This stuff turns my hair into butter and it smells delicious. I'll add a bit of honey and a squirt of Olive Oil Replenishing to kick it up a notch.

ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pack- We already know about this one.

ETA: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeeep Conditioner and Aussie Moist are my conditioners of choice.

The only things I order online now are the occasional FNWL order (twice a year) or Vatika Oil. (I'm hooked) Other than that I'm pretty much drugstore, BSS, grocery store based.

Last edited:
Currently I'm enjoying the following from the Herbal Essence line;

"None of Your Frizzness" conditioner with mandarin balm - haven't used it long enough to notice any long term benefits but so far seems to moisturize quite well and has a delicious tropical fruity smell.

"Dangerously straight" pin straight conditioner with honeyed pear silk- wonderful scent! Seems to help subdue the curls a little bit before doing a straight style.

"Breaks over" strengthening leave-in cream with coco mango- nice creamy leave-in! I use a little all over and a little extra on the ends. Great for when I wear my curls out. Nice creamy coconut scent!

So far these look like they will be my summer favs! :grin:

gloomgeisha said:
ETA: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeeep Conditioner and Aussie Moist are my conditioners of choice.

I used to like these too but Aussie recently changed all their products. :mad:
They've been bought by some other company.

Castor Oil. That stuff is the best, and it's in all the pharmacies. My ends have never felt better.

I use such a mixture of products but there are some drugstore products that I use:

S-curl (for new growth followed by oil)
ORS Aloe Neutralizing Shampoo (I use this after ACV rinse to clarify)
NTM Smooth Touch Lotion (Provides so much moisture as a daily moisturizer)
Softsheen Carson Breakthru Shampoo (Provides detangling and slip)

I voted for the Africa's Best line, since three of their products are my staples. Here are all of the drugstore/BSS/health food store products I :love: :

Africa's Best Carrot Oil Cream
Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
Africa's Best Hair Mayo - great for prepoos (if I have time to prepoo)
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol + Mango Butter
Motions Moisture Plus - my staple post-relaxer conditioner
Creme of Nature shampoo - was using green label, tried and preferred the red label
Jason Natual Sea Kelp conditioner - want to try the poo, but I haven't seen it in stores!
Giovanni Direct Leave-In conditioner
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose & GPB conditioners
Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor
Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner
Suave & V05 conditioners - for cowashing or for use as daily moisturizers
S-Curl - when I'm stretching, I use this to help detangle my NG prior to washing

I love Africa's Best products. Their conditioners are excellent and the Hair Mayo liquid leave in is a staple. I also love HE, Pantene R&N Breakage Defense, Tresemme conditioners, and Garnier Length&Strength and Sleek&Shine. I rotate these as cowashers but the AB conditioners get used every week.

HoneyDew said:
I LOVE Loreal Vive Smooth Intense products. The conditioners are great! I like the one for medium texture because it is the only one without glycerin (unlike the ones for fine and thick hair). I also like the Nutrigloss line by Vive, as well. They have great sales and coupons all the time, too. I have seen many BOGO FREE offers and coupons on these.

HoneyDew,

What's wrong with glycerin?:ohwell:

Product Name and Line? Elasta QP Mango Butter, Queen Helene Cholesterol Con, Nature's Gate Henna Con, Doo Gro oil
Where do you get it?The Nature's Gate and Queen Helene I buy at this place called Grocery Outlet, the other two I order from TexasBeauty Supply online.
Why do you like it? These have been consistantly the best products for my hair bar none. I have used. My hair stays healthy shiny and pretty manageable. And great prices.
What does it do for your hair? In order:
Elasta QP mango butter: keeps my hair amazingly soft, moisturized without being greasy or heavy. Also BLING lots of shine with this. I've never gotten that from a daily cream or lotion before.
Queen Helene- Been using this off and on for years and it ALWAYS does it for my hair no matter how jacked up it is. Even when i was bleaching/relaxing way too often my hair rarely ever was fried.
Nature's Gate Con- My BF brought it home and I use it as a leave in and to help tame my NG. It doesn't leave build up, smells nice and was very inexpensive.
Doo Gro- I have been using it consistantly for about 9 months and have had good (slow) steady growth. I also use it mixed with the Nature's Gate Con on my ends and NG. Works beautifully.
List ingredients(if you know them)?
What amount of stars would you give it (take into account affordability, accessibility, user-friendliness and whether it serves its described purpose). 5 Stars all the way around.

MissMadaam said:
I love ORS olive oil moisturizer(without mineral oil or petroleum) Its realy good at giving my hair moisture and doesnt weight my hair down

I hear ya girl! I swear by ORS. It is one of the best moisturizers for my hair, whether its curly or straight. I get it at Walgreens, Sally's, and I think they have it at Walmart too.

Attachments

• natural_hair.jpg
    natural_hair.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 9
i love designer's touch shampoo, conditioner, and postperm treatment (their ppt is the TRUTH!!!). Not the at home line but the professional line which i can always get at any neighborhood bss. and i also love the elasta qp line and the africa's best organics line. i swear by these three, since i have been using them my hair has been very healthy.

Last edited:
I forgot that I just discovered Cream of Nature's Porosity Control conditioner. The store I went to didn't have Designer's Touch conditioner, so I looked to find something with similar ingredients and this was it. I actually am beginning to think it's better that my beloved DT. The jury is still out, I should know for sure within 2 weeks.

Product Name and Line?
Ultra Black Hair Line
Keracare Line

Where do you get it?

Why do you like it?
improves the condition of my hair to healthy
improves the managabitly of my hair & condition

What does it do for your hair?
DC: strengthen: lube: & stimulate: yes, yes, & yes
Lotion: soft, smooth, & not greasy: yes, yes, & yes
Dew: light, soft, & shine: yes, yes, & yes
entire line: improved condition of hair: stronger, healthier, managable, shiny: yes to all

List ingredients(if you know them)?
DC: Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Concentrate, Purified Water, Peppermint Oil, Royal Bee Jelly, Menthol, Stearic Acid, Stearalkonium Chloride, Jojoba Oil, Safflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Lecithin, Extracts of: (Papaya, Fennel, Kiwi), Tocopherol, Wheat Germ Oil, Ascorbic Acid, Silica, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow No.5.

Lotion: Purified Water, Olive Oil, 1-Octadecanol, Cetrimonium Bromide,
dl-Panthenol, Allantoin, Lecithin, Dimethicone Copolyol, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Propylparaben, Retinol, Tocopherol.

Dew: Purified Water, Propylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Polysorbate-20, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow No. 6. FD&C Yellow No.5.

What amount of stars would you give it (take into account affordability, accessibility, user-friendliness and whether it serves its described purpose).
I would give it 4 stars: these products are great: i just believe they are 2-4 dollars more then other similar products in the store
dido

:lol: OMG...how are you gonna have this thread...with a POLL...and not have SUAVE or V05...sacreligious!

I like most anything pantene, especially the restoratives line. Herbal essences Hello Hydration Conditioner. I like the sunsilk 24/7 anti frizz and anti poof cremes. I like the hot 6 oil and kemi oil for sealing moisture. I like the pantene detangle spray and the sheamoisture shea butter for leave ins. I use cheapies like suave and vo5 for co washes. I really don't own anything expensive come to think of it.

Product Name and Line?Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner
Where do you get it?Any BSS
Why do you like it?It gives MEGA slip
What does it do for your hair? (if you can reprint the description of product and then tell if you agree from your experience)it decreases the amount of hair I lose on wash day because it maked detangling so easy. I sit with it for 20 mins under the dryer and my fingers glide through my hair.
List ingredients(if you know them)?I know it has water and gylcerin. it does have mineral oil but it is still a greta product is youre looking for lots of slip
What amount of stars would you give it (take into account affordability, accessibility, user-friendliness and whether it serves its described purpose).I would give it 4 stars just because of the slip and it does say on the packaging that it helps detangle. the moisture is okay.

I love ORS olive oil moisturizer(without mineral oil or petroleum) Its realy good at giving my hair moisture and doesnt weight my hair down

I am sorry but is this olive oil moisturizer in a jar (grease) or the bottle (lotion)??? I always get these two mixed up!

Back