"Easily Accessible and Affordable Hair Care" Review list

What Hair Care line/product do you love that is cheap n' chic?

• Total voters
I love all Pantene Relaxed and Natural. I also got Smooth N Shine Silk Fusion 60 Second Reconstructor with silk and pearl extract. It cost like .99 at walmart. I could really feel the difference in the shower. My hair felt really silky.

This is a good one!
I used Bed Head for the longest. It just became too expensive so......I found Tresemme Moisture Rich shampoo and conditioner, this line has been the only brand that dosen't drive my scalp crazy! If you do hotoil they have a good one. They come in bigger bottles so you purchase them less often.:grin::grin::grin:

I never saw that without mineral oil or petroleum....where did u get it from? Do you think you could post the ingredients list?

I think she's referring to the one in the bottle... NOT the one in the jar becuase that does contian mineral oil. Here are the ingrediants.

Water Aqua , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Sorbitol , Peanut Oil Arachis Hypogaea , Castor Oil Ricinus Communis , Cetearyl Alcohol , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cyclomethicone , Petrolatum , PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Cetyl Esters , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , BHT , Carbomer , Stearic Acid , Triethanolamine , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , DMDM Hydantoin , Fragrance Parfum , Blue No. 1 CI 42090 , Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

MY CHEAP BUT GOOD PRODUCTS ARE,

PANTENE POO AND BREAKAGE DEFENSE MASK
CON (GREEN LABEL) POO
AFRICA'S BEST LEAVE IN LIQUID MAYO

:yep::yep:

Adding White Rain Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Sunsilk Straighten Up Creme
ORS Hair Mayo
HE Long Term Relationship and Dangerously Straight Conditioners

I think she's referring to the one in the bottle... NOT the one in the jar becuase that does contian mineral oil. Here are the ingrediants.

Water Aqua , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Sorbitol , Peanut Oil Arachis Hypogaea , Castor Oil Ricinus Communis , Cetearyl Alcohol , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cyclomethicone , Petrolatum , PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Cetyl Esters , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , BHT , Carbomer , Stearic Acid , Triethanolamine , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , DMDM Hydantoin , Fragrance Parfum , Blue No. 1 CI 42090 , Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

Isn't that basically the same as mineral oil or petroleum?

For me, I can mix most cheapie products with an essential oil and I'm good. The only products that I really buy that's not in the store is Lacio Lacio and my peppermint oil (just got a big ol' bottle today in the mail).

EVOO is the best cheapie product for me and oh so accessible. I wash my face with it (oil cleansing method), pre-poo, use it in my MN mix, seal my ends when I baggy and bun.

I am all about cheap products. I love Pantene but tresemme, herbal essences, garnier frutis, and aussie are also very good brands. You can get all these at your local target or wal-mart. I refuse to order products online.

Interesting, cuz I find that most of the better products I've used have come from non commercial shelves!

i tried to read the whole thread but i cant do it yet. lol
trader joe's also has inexpensive hair products -- love their nourish spa conditioner.
i had no idea this stuff was so inexpensive. i paid $2.61 for it, tax included. thats less than herbal essences.
I refuse to order products online.
ITA! i think there are only 2 products i cant live without that i have to get online, and i try to get them on ebay or in the exchange forum. they are miss jessie's baby buttercreme and sabino MB, which i have only used once (summer no heat challenge).

shampoo: creme of nature; i got the 32oz one from sally's for $5.
clarifying shampoo: add baking soda to your conditioner (50 cents a box?) or use suave daily clarifying. ORS creamy aloe is also good from what i hear.
cowash conditioners: trader joe's, suave tropical coconut, VO5.
deep conditioners: for moisture, lustrasilk cholesterol; for protein, ORS paks.
leave-ins: herbal essences LTR or just use your cowash conditioner.
gel: i have heard good things about fantasia IC gel; i use garnier curl scrunch gel but i am not in love with it.
to seal i use EVOO or africa's best herbal oil. very inexpensive and lighter than the shea butter i bought.

to this day i still cant stand pantene and motions, maybe because when i was misinformed about my hair i thought they were as good as it gets for black hair care. i still have tons of the r&n shampoos and conditioners cause at least i was smart enough to realize they dried my hair out. i bought a TUB of motions moisture plus and i hate it. the only pantene product i want is the r&n mask.

neutrogena gets a lot of raves so i want to try their products as well. i try to make all of my hair stuff easily accessible so that if i go on vacation or something and run out i can find it at whatever the nearest store is.

Last edited:
My cheapies

Baking soda - 50 cents a box. Hundreds of shampoos.

Yogurt - 69 cents
Coconut Milk - 88 cents
Avocados - 99 cents

All not pricey.... Tons of conditioning properties and they can serve double duty!

ITA agree with everyone who said anything about making their own stuff from the kitchen. That what I do most of the time but I still need my conditioner and gel!

I love V05 Freesia, Freeman Conditioners, and I love Elasta QP DPR-11 and Feels Like Silk. Does Elasta count as a cheapie?

I love Elasta QP DPR 11 too, I think it's a cheapie. I think I like it even more that Aubrey Organics

Africa's Best is also really good for the price. I love the Hair Mayo in a jar ( the liquid is too sticky). Some of their oils sound really interesting and have really good ingredients for around $3.

Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel is great for the price too.

Product Name and Line? CON Shampoo ($4 for 16 oz at local beauty supply store)
SheaMoisture ($4 for 8 oz- goes a long way on dry hair)
UNREFINED Shea Butter ($5 for 5 oz- a little goes a long way)
Infusium 23 ($4 for 32 oz)

Where do you get it? Local beauty supply store (the CON and Infusium 23-original-are at Walmart as well)

Why do you like it? The products actually work. My dumb arse should have stuck with this the whole thing

What does it do for your hair? (if you can reprint the description of product and then tell if you agree from your experience) The CON cleanses well without stripping (green label), the shea moisture leave in I put on dry twist out, the shea butter and Infusium I use when I do two strand twists.

List ingredients(if you know them)? SheaMoisture-Shea Butter, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, and a preservative. I am not sure what is in Infusium 23 or CON. I'll look it up and repost.

What amount of stars would you give it (take into account affordability, accessibility, user-friendliness and whether it serves its described purpose). 4 stars for accessibility. Some people may not have SheaMoisture at their beauty supply stores. Everyone else is there. 5 stars on everything else. K.I.S.S.
peace...

Shampoo: Creme of Nature (Red Label), Aussie Moist Shampoo

Conditioner: Aussie Moist

Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol w/ Mango, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeep Conditioner

Leave In: Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructor, Elasta QP H-TWO, Doo-Gro Triple Strength Anti Breakage Growth Detangler (works as a great leave in too)

Moisturizer: Organix Coconut Milk Split Ends Mender, Cantu Shea Butter Repair Leave in Creme (add a bit of castor Oil to make it more moisturizing)

Oils/Oil Mixes: Olive Oil mixed w/ Castor Oil, Honey, and Glycerin makes an ultra thick and luscious oil that can be applied to ends of hair for baggying or all over for sealing. Coconut Oil is another great sealing and softening oil. Pop a Vitamin A capsule into any base oil for added strengthening and Vitamin E oil (in the bottle or pop the capsule) is another good additive.

Extra Ingredients: Glycerin, Aloe Vera Gel/Juice

I like motions, except for their relaxer. Their neutralizing shampoo and silk protein conditioner. V05 moisture Milk, is excellent and only .89cents. I like it, can't want to try the rest of the line, it detangle my 4z hair well, with no problem. Im a fan of ORS, Hair Mayo, Replenish Pak, olive oil creme. CON shampoo, can't live without it and much as I bought, it will be awhile before I run out. The old version kind.

here are my cheapie faves:
Infusium 23
TJ's Nourish SPA conditioner
EVOO
Coconut oil
Jojoba oil
Castor oil (TBD - haven't used yet, but purchased after hearing the great reviews)
LeKair Cholesterol
Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo

Baking soda...cleanser
Coconut milk...conditioner
Coconut oil...moisturizer
Castor oil...overnight treatment...also great for protecting ends

All super cheap and easily accessible.

I really like pantene, aphogee, dominican products are very moisturizing and affordable. Nacidit Avocado or olive oil, silicone mix, wheat germ.

I think Motions is by far the best line for my hair. It is the only line that I can use the shampoo and nearly all of the conditioners, you can also find it at any CVS, Walgreens, bss, etc. It they had better leave-ins and moisturizers I think the line would be complete.

I love their CPR leave in

Product Name and Line? Where do you get it?

Any cheap sulfate shampoo (Suave, V05, etc.) - any store
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Moisturizing Conditioner - CVS
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Hair Mask - only found it at Target
Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter - Sephora

Why do you like it?What does it do for your hair?
The Pantene Moisturizing Conditioner doubles as a detangler and leave-in. Is also very moisturizing and affordable ($5)
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Hair Mask leaves my hair extremely soft, makes detangling a breeze and don't need to use heat. I use with every other shampoo.
Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter is the only product I can use on my hair for twistouts, moisturizing, sheen and softness. I love how it soaks into my hair, unlike other pomades/greases that either just sit on top of my hair or makes it feel greasy.

List ingredients(if you know them)? Carols Daughter HHB contains no mineral or petrolatum oils. That's all I know.
What amount of stars Five stars for everything.

would you give it (take into account affordability, accessibility, user-friendliness and whether it serves its described purpose).
Everything is affordable (less than $5). Carols Daughter is the only thing that might be considered expensive, but it's worth it.

i use pantene pro v relaxed and natural line and it works pretty good!
i also have used motions products and they work wel too

Name/Where do you get it?

Pantene Replenishing Mask--Target/Walmart
V05 (Any of the cheapie $0.99, non-cone conditioners)--Target, Walmart, grocery store, etc.
Creme of Nature Shampoo (Green bottle, yellow cap; may have been discontinued.)--Walmart
Unrefined Raw Shea Butter!!! (Whipped is the nicest.)--Can be found at most Africana of Diaspora stores.
S-Curl (Blue and white bottle.)--Target, grocery store, Walmart, etc.
Silk Elements Heat Protectant (CHEAPER and BETTER than Chi!)--Sally's

What do you like about it?

Pantene Replenishing Mask--Deep conditioner; make my hair incredibly soft. I apply to dry hair before shampooing or after shampooing on damp hair.
V05 (Any of the cheapie $0.99, non-cone conditioners)--Great for cowashing. I also highly dilute and use as a moisturizer when I don't have S-Curl. They have the added benefit of making your hair smell great.
Creme of Nature Shampoo (Green bottle, yellow cap; may have been discontinued.)--It was a great shampoo and detangler. Haven't used in a while since I found Black soap and Kenra Care First Lather.
Unrefined Raw Shea Butter!!!---Make my hair INCREDIBLY soft and touchable. Less is more. I usually use for braid outs or put on my edges, ends, and lightly pat on my hair after cowashes.
S-Curl (Blue and white bottle.)--Great moisturizer for when in braids or when I had a TWA. Now I usually mostly when in braids to keep hair soft.
Silk Elements Heat Protectant (CHEAPER and BETTER than Chi!)--Heat protectact when I am flat ironing my hair. Keeps my hair light and has a great smell.

List ingredients(if you know them)?

I don't know, but they are easy to find. I don't believe there is mineral oil in any of them but many of them have cones. My hair LOVES cones.

What amount of stars? Five stars for all products. They are all "go to" products when I don't have time to expeirement and I NEED something to work.

Everything is pretty affordable, meaning less than $5.00. With these six products I could take care of ALL of my hair care needs, for SEVERAL months for less than $25.00. In fact, typing it all out makes me feel a bit silly for having so many products in my stash when I KNOW these work.

HTH

Last edited:
Pantene- especially the RnN Intensive moisturizing conditioner. I have been using it for a while now and it has to be one of the most moisturizing DC's i have ever used. I get the family size (25.4 oz) at Walmart for $5. The line is also carried at mostly every drug store/pharmacy but walmart has the best prices for Pantene products.

ORS Replenishing Condtioner- very moisturizing as well. 23 oz size for $11.99

CON detangling Shampoo- 32 oz ranging from $8 to $10

Back