"Easily Accessible and Affordable Hair Care" Review list

What Hair Care line/product do you love that is cheap n' chic?

• Total voters

bravenewgirl87

So there are all of these, "do you try this?", "Do you try that?" threads. I think most of us what want great hair but don't have the patience, financial means or even transportation to go out of our way to get Carol's Daughter, Oyin, Elucence, Frederic Fekkai, etc. Those products can be expensive and hard to find. So let this and rate all the product lines that we love for the newbies, students, kids, whomever that can be found at any Walmart, gocery store, Kmart, Walgreens.

Product Name and Line?
Where do you get it?
Why do you like it?
What does it do for your hair? (if you can reprint the description of product and then tell if you agree from your experience)
List ingredients(if you know them)?
What amount of stars would you give it (take into account affordability, accessibility, user-friendliness and whether it serves its described purpose).

This is an Awesome Thread! I was thinking of this the other day, because I know I am on a Budget so I stick to what works but it would be nice to just pick up something out of the BSS or Wal-mart etc.

I love ORS olive oil moisturizer(without mineral oil or petroleum) Its realy good at giving my hair moisture and doesnt weight my hair down

MissMadaam said:
I love ORS olive oil moisturizer(without mineral oil or petroleum) Its realy good at giving my hair moisture and doesnt weight my hair down

That and the Replenshing Pak actually were the only products by ORS that worked for me. But, i still don't trust those people..:nono::perplexed:lol:

aussie, tres semme, & suave are all cheapie but goodie brands you can get at target or wal-mart. trader joe's also has inexpensive hair products -- love their nourish spa conditioner. and target also has a pro-vitamin conditioner with amino proteins which is cheap & good.

I LOVE Loreal Vive Smooth Intense products. The conditioners are great! I like the one for medium texture because it is the only one without glycerin (unlike the ones for fine and thick hair). I also like the Nutrigloss line by Vive, as well. They have great sales and coupons all the time, too. I have seen many BOGO FREE offers and coupons on these.

I am all about cheap products. I love Pantene but tresemme, herbal essences, garnier frutis, and aussie are also very good brands. You can get all these at your local target or wal-mart. I refuse to order products online.

I think Motions is by far the best line for my hair. It is the only line that I can use the shampoo and nearly all of the conditioners, you can also find it at any CVS, Walgreens, bss, etc. It they had better leave-ins and moisturizers I think the line would be complete.

Great thread! So many times I hear of people trying expensive products just to go back to their usual modest priced items. This is right on time too because I'm starting to do my own hair again and need new products. I was thinking of giving the whole Garnier line a try instead of the usual Pantene I used in the past.

Since joining the PJ Use it Up Challenge, I've had to crawl all the way to the back of my bathroom cabinet and use up the stuff from Wal-mart, Target, etc. And while I love my Joico/PM/CHI products, I also have a soft spot for Garnier (Length & Strength) and Motions (CPR Reconstructor in the bottle & Nourish LIC) in my heart.

Okay:
Garnier L & S 'poo and condish-I love the smell and the fact that it makes my hair stronger and soft. And the fact that it's $2-3 doesn't hurt, either :p.

Motions CPR-I don't care for all the bits and pieces in the regular CPR, so the bottle is perfect for me--It's my "go to" when I can't get Keraphix.

Nourish LIC-I use this right before rollersetting. One of my gfs w/APL turned me on to it. I normally use Joico K-pak Leave-In Reconstructor, but if I can't get to it, I'd definitely grab this. It keeps my fine hair's moisture/protein balance in check.

NappyParadise said:
Good Products!!!!!!! Now What about Moisturizers?

I like ORS Carrot Oil and Herbal Essences Break's Over...But honestly I have so many--:ohwell: Thanks goodness for the Use it Up Challenge, man.

NappyParadise said:
Good Products!!!!!!! Now What about Moisturizers?

Unfortunately, I have yet to find moisturizers that compare to my Qhemet and Aveda ones. If I was desperate and could not get those, I would use ORS olive oil in the bottle or jar. Loreal Vive used to have one, but they discontinued it :(

HoneyDew I agree! because Qhemets is all I can Use on my hair and it gives such softness and shine. But just in case I couldn't afford to get that I would need an alternative a good alternative, which it might not be one out there LOL!!! I might have to give that Redken soft creame a try that I keep reading about.

NappyParadise said:
HoneyDew I agree! because Qhemets is all I can Use on my hair and it gives such softness and shine. But just in case I couldn't afford to get that I would need an alternative a good alternative, which it might not be one out there LOL!!! I might have to give that Redken soft creame a try that I keep reading about.

Yeah, I have heard about the Redken, as well. If I did have to buy something instead of ordering, I woul dstart by stopping at someplace like Beauty first or Trade Secret to get a salon quality product 1st. But as far as drufstore stuff, the ORS has been pretty decent. BUt you know I used a Motions one that was pretty decent. It was pink. It was actually pretty nice, but nor flatironed hair friendly. If I was wearing my hair up it was good, though.

Elasta QP Oil remoisturizer and DPR-11

Also I like Giovanni products and they can be found at the Vitamin Shoppe which is pretty accessible. They go on sale for 5.95 sometimes.

Easily accessible and affordable may be a bit subjective dependenet upon where one lives. In my area, Target sells Fekkai, Nexxus, Redken, and a number of other salon quality products and I consider the prices reasonable.

But that is not what you want so I am going to vote for the ApHogee line of products that can be purchased at Sally's. They are very reasonably pricewd and there's a Sally's pretty much everywhere. I use the Green Tea and Keratin Leave in and quite like it.

I do know that there is not a Trader Joe's everywhere, but many ladies rave about the store brand conditioner for TJ's and the price is definitely cheap.

Again, accessible may be dependent or geography, but most areas have a health food or vitamin store and these sell both J/A/S/O/N and Aubrey's Organics products and they are relatively inexpensive, natural to avoid piling chemicals on your hair and skin, and work exceptionally well.

I do think that it is important that newbie's understand to watch the ingredient list to avoid prodcuts that are know to be harmful for the hair, like mineral oils that can preent the hair from absorbing moisture - one thinks one is doing well for the hair only to find out that is not the case.

infusium leave-in helps straighten my hair when drying and provides strength

motions foam wrap lotion helps my curls hold better

new era recontructor. cheapie reconstructor about $8 bucks at Sally's. i use after relaxing and every other month.

motions poos & conds

Right now, I am lovin' me some J/A/S/O/N Natural Sea Kelp Shampoo and Conditioner. You can get it at your local Vitamin Shoppe or organic food store like Wild Oats. I use the ORS lye relaxer which is at the BSS now along with the Olive Oil moisturizer (in a bottle) and regular old EVOO. I also like NTM. I'm not yet ready to make my hair exclusive to products you have to order online.

tkj25 said:
aussie, tres semme, & suave are all cheapie but goodie brands you can get at target or wal-mart. trader joe's also has inexpensive hair products -- love their nourish spa conditioner. and target also has a pro-vitamin conditioner with amino proteins which is cheap & good.

I took a long walk today in this GORGEOYS weather to Trader Joes to pick up TJ Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner. Paid less than $5 for each after hearing so many wonderful things about these projects. I love TJ!!

To Atlanta ladies: the owner here in MD told me that TJ's are opening up all over the city!;)

Good thread!!

Since the beginning of the year and really focusing on staying consistent, I have found that some of the best products for me have been some of the cheapest stuff I have ever bought in my haircare journey. All of my favorite products can be found at a drugstore, sallys or any health food store or vitamin shoppe.

shampoos: ors olive oil poo- this stuff detangles, moisturizes, chelates and neutralizes with out buildup, pantene breakage defense shampoo- good stuff, smoothes my hair and gets me clean with out drying me out, Elasta-qp shampoo for relaxed hair- smells and looks just like Nexxus Botanoil shampoo, only cost about 2 bucks a bottle with a sallys card and a little goes a LONG way

Moisturizing Conditioners- silk elements cholesterol- big jar for just a couple of bucks, smells great, rinses easily and gives an effective shot of moisture whether freshly relaxed or 8 weeks post, Pantene breakage defense mask- provides moisture and slip and helps slow shedding in just one session, smells good and a little does the job, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and Rose or White Camellia- these babies can be found at vitamin shoppe or any health care store, they detangle like nobodys business and smell heavenly (and a little strong)

Protein Conditioners- Motions Silk Protein- one of the easiest ways to strengthen your hair with protein overload, Its the best conditioner to use right after a relaxer, gives slip too, Duo Tex- this is the end all be all for heavy duty protein conditioners, it comes in liquid form and can be used right after a relaxer, highly effective

Moisturizers and Leave-ins- Herbal Essence breaks over creme- strengthening and moisturizing leave in cream that can be used on wet or dry hair, Sunsilk 24/7 cremes in the pink and purple bottles- these are sooo slept on, they work great and last a long time, they detangle and work great when rollersetting

Cream of Nature shampoo (red label) is good for me.

Also EVOO found in the cooking oils isle is good for me also.

S-curl is s good moisturizer for my hair.

I like Qhemet Biologics also but being on a budget has forced me to look elsewhere.

Moisturizing Conditioners:

Trader Joe's NourishSpa Conditioner (by itself or mixed with warm coconut milk)
Tressemme Smooth and Silky Conditioner
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner
Motions CPR Deep Conditioner (even though I hate those little bits and pieces)
Coconut Milk

Shampoos:

ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo (great!)
Soft and Beautiful Botanicals Moisturizing Shampoo
Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo
Trader Joe's NourishSpa Shampoo (sulfate-free and great!)

Moisturizers:

Africa's Best Leave-In Hair Mayonnaise
Africa's Best Shea Butter and Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer
Sunsilk 24/7 Leave In Cream for dry hair (pink bottle)
Africa's Best CArrot Oil Cream (for my ends)

My favorite inexpensive products are:
Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa poo & conditioner
CON Detangling poo (green label)
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
BB Oil Moisturizer
Garnier Length & Strength or Sleek & Shine conditioners
Africa's Best Liquid Mayo leave-in
Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling lotion

Everything is pretty much available at Wal-Mart, with the exception of the Trader Joe's products and Kids Organics I get at the BSS. :cool:

MissMadaam said:

:yep: I totally agree with her!

I use Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter Triple Action Formula (Sally's 1.99) as a pre-poo and I love it. I was surprised but it really made my hair soft.

Great thread.

In an effort to curb my PJism, in addition to being a part of the Use It Challenge, I've decided to put myself on a budget. If the product cost more than $10, I don't buy it.

My favorite cheapie products

Shampoos
H.E. Hello Hydration
Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense
NTM Cream Lather
Suave Daily Clarifying

Conditioners
ORS Pak
Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense (regular conditioner and mask)
Ion Reconstructor
Queen Helene Cholesterol
Silk Elements MegaCholesterol
Garnier (Long and Strong, Sleek and Shine, and Dry and Damaged
Suave Fresh Berry Smoothie, Juicy Green Apple
V05 Champagne Kisses, Strawberries and Cream

Moisturizers
ORS Carrot Oil
Sunsilk 24/7 creams (I've used blue and am now trying the pink)
Profectiv Breakfree
NTM Silk Touch

Sealents
Softee Coconut Oil
Proclaim Natural 7 Oil
Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock

I voted for Organic Root Stimulator!!

I love and use their relaxer system, moisturizing hair lotion, and carrot oil!

Back