Dr Laura Schlesinger....does anyone listen to her regularly?

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
My agency vehicles have Sirius so I get to listen to her show. She had me in stitches today and I was wondering if any of the ladies on this forum listen to her? I read her marriage book over a year ago and I love how family oriented she is but I also wonder if her ideals are realistic.

One called stated that she found out that her new boyfriend's 21 year old daughter sleeps in the bed with her father when she spends the night. I couldn't believe that the woman needed advice on how to deal with this.

Another caller asked if she was obligated to pay for her daughter's wedding even though the daughter already had two children out of wedlock. Dr Laura stated emphatically that the mother was not obligated to play a traditional role if the daughter had chosen not to play a traditional role by shacking up and getting pregnant. I thought that was an interesting point of view.

I used to listen to her regularly and for yearzzzzzz when she was on "free" radio.
I earned a lot listening to her. Though I don't agree with all of her views, I did find her knowledge and views both refreshing and educational.

**This coming from a girl who grew up in the hood (hood values) and was enlightened enough to see her own way out of that mentality.

I've read one of her books years ago about sahms. While some of her thoughts were controversial, it did make me feel better and encourage me about my choice not to return to the workforce after a layoff.

TopShelf

MOST DEFINATELY. She provided me another (and unpredicted/unprompted) view on life and relationships. I Totally Agreed with her, and felt validated on the following:

• Waiting until my children where grown and out of the house before seeking another husband. I chose this route because I did not know how to successfully blend families, especially from my own f'd up experiences of trying to be "blended";

Realizing that I had only one shot at raising my children, Lovers and Romances will come and go.

I also was able to appreciate her ability to often take a rather Pragmatic view on certain issues. Yet still provide sobering advice.

I loved the way she broke down the history of Daycare. The true purpose of Child support. (To contribute to the raising of the child/Not a Paycheck for the caregiver)

I DIDN"T then and DO NOT now agree with her being so quick to put some kids up for adoption, versus the [blood] family stepping. (teen moms/druggie's childrens) BUT I DO understand her pain from a failed adoption and how this may influence her opinions.

Can't stand this racist hag. There's a reason she's not on regular radio anymore.

Oh nooooooo! I guess I have to look that up and see what happened. I just started reading her books last year and this year I started listening to her show. This sucks

Back