DONT TOUCH MY HAIR!

• Thread starter Thread starter cieramichele
  • Start date Start date

How do you feel when someone touches your hair without asking?

• Flattered

Votes: 72 13.9%
  • Annoyed

Votes: 386 74.5%
  • Dont care

Votes: 97 18.7%

• Total voters
I don't like people touching my hair at all. its annoying because i know most people are trying to do a weave check plus i don't know where their hands have been. i don't like people touching my face either.

Annoyed. But, not really annoyed mad. Invasion of privacy and it is always in AWWW! Your hair is so soft. I thought it would be rough or dry...So that makes me even angrier.

But, I guess I can't be that mad because a lot of people are ignorant to type 4 natural hair. Not their fault as much is it is ours.

But, I do snap back really quick..like what are you doing? No no no. Ask permission. That's like touching my face saying oh your skin is soo smooth and beautiful. YOU JUST TOUCHED ME FACE! GGRROSSSS1

Mostly I don't mind because a compliment always follows. But for some reason if I think about it later I get a little miffed. My DD however always has teachers and kids in her hair because she is always in springy twists or braids with a couple of beads. People love her hair and she doesn't mind, but I get just a little on edge because it is my job to look out for her and I'm not sure if they are admiring or "petting." She is not a puppy!!!

It annoys me. But if I know you and you ask permission, then I don't mind as much. But the weave check while hugging me in church? And I can't go off on you in church, but let me tell ya', I have come close.

Ive had an associate pull my hair at the grocery store and it hurt. I guess she was doing a sneaky weave check, and it still pisses me off when I think about it. DONT TOUCH MY HAIR SNEAKY ****!!!! OK im alright now:look:

and what if it had come away with her hands..........what would she have done i wonder?:lachen:(i'm a phonyweavewigandextensiona-phobe and that is my #1 reason why i'd neva :grin:)

sorry, had a visual, had to share it.

continue ladies :blush:

and what if it had come away with her hands..........what would she have done i wonder?:lachen:(i'm a phonyweavewigandextensiona-phobe and that is my #1 reason why i'd neva :grin:)

sorry, had a visual, had to share it.

continue ladies :blush:
She was willing to embarrass me too. She didnt even care.:ohwell: I really dont care if you touch it but she pulled. This happened in October because I took a pic that day. Everytime I look at that picture I remember the sting. She even asked me before and I told her it wasnt a weave. She could have been more open about it. I wouldve let her, but no pulling or snatching.

Here in Europe especially in Belgium people are very " cold" if I can say I don't know the good word but i think that you will understand me so only my very close frinds will dare to touch my hair and they use to ask before .
Cecilie

i'll be partly flattered that they think my hair is appealing, soft or whatever enough to want to feel it....

but i'd be much more annoyed if they actually touched it. I dont like people touching it without asking, or me asking them to. i dont know what their intentions are. I dont know how dirty they are. i dont know if they are trying to sabatoge me. i dont know if they are trying to size me up. i dont know if they are putting something in it. i just dont trust people.

this happened today.. I kinda let them know to back up! The person pretended to be hurt by it... I could care less. why would you touch a person hair if you don't know them... I could have lice or something :lachen: but seriously I don't like people in my personal space mainly strangers.. so I most def find it disrepectful...

Wow. I am really surprised at the number of women who "don't care" and even more suprised by the number of women who "feel flattered." Beyond the hygine issue ('cause I don't know where your hand has been...in the winter I don't wash/co-wash everyday and now I gotta walk around with your crotch juice up in my hair because you don't wash your when you go to the bathroom...humph:nono:) I really don't understand why you have the right to invade my personal space.

Recently, as my hair has gotten bigger and bigger, more and more BLACK women stick their hands in my hair. When I call them on that ish they say, "Oh, well you have that hair that just makes me want to touch it." or "Well, it looks like a wig, I can't see your hairline." Whateva *****. I don't care if it is a wig YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO TOUCH MY HAIR!

If I know you and you ask that is one thing...but just walking up to me and sticking your hands in my hair when I don't know you...shoot...have me getting ready to catch a case...not really...okay maybe a little...not really. :look:

I could care less!! Its not like they puttin they hands in my face or something. They want to touch it be my guest. :-) Im a hair toucher myself. Its just hair!

I'm sorry. This is not a vanity issue. This is an autonomy issue. No one has the right to put their hands on any part of my person without permission. NO ONE.

That is an invasion of ones personal space. I do not like it. However, if I am asked first, then it MAY be ok. However, I would probably ask the person if there hands were clean. Or, I would avoid it all together by just saying no. It depends on the circumstances and the person asking ...

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really HATE when people touck my hair, esp friends. Being from the caribbean, we was always told not to let ANYONE touch your head period. B/c that is where all your wisdom and knowledge is. And i stand by that.

I was told the same thing by my Black southern grandmother. She is the same way about hair and nail clippings; she also has a thing about speaking about something, like describing someone with acne and then touching that part of your body. She says that it's a transfer of bad energy.

When I wear my hair big and out, it seems to be open invitation for folks to touch my hair :ohwell:

You know how you reap what you sow? Well, I tend not to reap what was sown in this area. I ask people before I touch their hair- this is not the case when it comes to others touching it.

Last edited:
I was told the same thing by my Black southern grandmother. She is the same way about hair and nail clippings; she also has a thing about speaking about something, like describing someone with acne and then touching that part of your body. She says that it's a transfer of bad energy.

I like your curlies :)

I don't like for people to touch me or get against me period. It's one of my pet peeves. My kids or little kids can touch my hair and that's it, NO grown folks. It irks me to no end. I think it bothers me more now that I'm natural because they can't just touch it they have to dig in to the roots and fluff it like "What is this?":grin:. My girlfriend did that recently and she stopped two seconds before she got her fingers bent back to her wrist:blush::grin:
I don't touch other folks hair either but when I see a 4 with thick hair relaxed or natural but especially a natural I want to pin them in a corner and grab it:blush: Fortunately for my health's sake I am able to control myself:look:

Last edited:
Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. If someone touched my hair for a brief second to comment on the health or length I would feel flattered. Some people touch it because of disbelief so that's ok. :yep: But if they start playing in my hair or raking their nasty little fingers through it then that's when I get annoyed. :sad:

Wow. I am really surprised at the number of women who "don't care" and even more suprised by the number of women who "feel flattered." Beyond the hygine issue ('cause I don't know where your hand has been...in the winter I don't wash/co-wash everyday and now I gotta walk around with your crotch juice up in my hair because you don't wash your when you go to the bathroom...humph:nono:) I really don't understand why you have the right to invade my personal space.

Recently, as my hair has gotten bigger and bigger, more and more BLACK women stick their hands in my hair. When I call them on that ish they say, "Oh, well you have that hair that just makes me want to touch it." or "Well, it looks like a wig, I can't see your hairline." Whateva *****. I don't care if it is a wig YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO TOUCH MY HAIR!

If I know you and you ask that is one thing...but just walking up to me and sticking your hands in my hair when I don't know you...shoot...have me getting ready to catch a case...not really...okay maybe a little...not really. :look:
:dead: @ the part in purple!

I am DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!! It's so true, though.

:pity: <--- who tries to touch your hair.

I don't like for people to touch me or get against me period. It's one of my pet peeves. My kids or little kids can touch my hair and that's it, NO grown folks. It irks me to no end. I think it bothers me more now that I'm natural because they can't just touch it they have to dig in to the roots and fluff it like "What is this?":grin:. My girlfriend did that recently and she stopped two seconds before she got her fingers bent back to her wrist:blush::grin:
I don't touch other folks hair either but when I see a 4 with thick hair relaxed or natural but especially a natural I want to pin them in a corner and grab it:blush: Fortunately for my health's sake I am able to control myself:look:

I was about to say that! I noticed the same thing! With relaxed hair, people kinda stroke it, you know? Like, oh your hair is so pretty *stroke, stroke* With natural hair people do this thing where they like, mush the hair to feel the texture then kinda gently pull on it. So it's like, oh your hair is so pretty! *completely messes up pin curls that took 2 hrs to do*

I'm relaxed and even the way people touch my hair when it's flat-ironed vs when it's in a braid-out is very different. You poor naturals.

I was about to say that! I noticed the same thing! With relaxed hair, people kinda stroke it, you know? Like, oh your hair is so pretty *stroke, stroke* With natural hair people do this thing where they like, mush the hair to feel the texture then kinda gently pull on it. So it's like, oh your hair is so pretty! *completely messes up pin curls that took 2 hrs to do*

I'm relaxed and even the way people touch my hair when it's flat-ironed vs when it's in a braid-out is very different. You poor naturals.
I know. And they always say it's sooo pretty but you know with half of them they're thinking,"Ain't no way in 4 hells would I ever go natural and wear my hair like this":grin:.

I really HATE when people touck my hair, esp friends. Being from the caribbean, we was always told not to let ANYONE touch your head period. B/c that is where all your wisdom and knowledge is. And i stand by that.
:yep: thank you i am also from trinidad and i dont like it either.

Anyone touching my hair without permission is asking for mental (and possibly physical) pain. The worse is when someone attempts to stroke my head as if I'm some sort of pet or something.

I don't like anyone invading my personal space, plus the idea of someone touching my hair without knowing where their hands have been really bothers me. :wallbash:

People usually do in school. I don't really mind but if it was a stranger, then I would.

I do mind when it's really styled, curls or feathers, or something. That's annoying. They always wanna mess it up. :perplexed

Once some boy really yanked the ends of my hair .. I was mad.:wallbash:

He was trying to be smart ..

Quoted for truth.

ITA with this post straight up and down! :yep:

Back