Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Hey Sareca,
I just did the shampoo and rinse with oil and my hair feels great, very soft and it was easy to get the comb through my hair. I'm sitting under the dryer now for my deep condition.

Thanks for this great tip:yep:

Hey Sareca,
I just did the shampoo and rinse with oil and my hair feels great, very soft and it was easy to get the comb through my hair. I'm sitting under the dryer now for my deep condition.

Thanks for this great tip:yep:

I wonder why it detangles for some of us and not others. :spinning:

IT WORKED FOR ME :yep:

Thank you Sareca

I'm using organic coconut oil.

For the first time i could comb my hair without it sounding like i was ripping and snapping.

My wash and go's look fantastic - the curls are defined and soft.

Question.....if i want to deep conditioned my hair using this method, would i apply the deep con after the oil is rinsed out or would i use a regular conditioner rinse then apply the deep one?

I wonder if this will help my NG. I am stretching and my NG is drier than a dessert. Luckily being in the low/no manipulation challenge has helped me to not lose too much. But I would like to stretch longer. I sincerely believe that stretching is one reason why my hair is getting thicker. I'm going to try this next Sunday when I do my weekly wash and see what happens.

I'll keep ya'll posted...:drunk:

@ Vixxen are you still doing no shampoo?

OT: Vixxen congrats your hubby is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

OT @Sereca, um have you decided to sell that palm cream of your's? You always have some great advice for the board, and always so helpful for that THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

IT WORKED FOR ME :yep:

Thank you Sareca

I'm using organic coconut oil.

For the first time i could comb my hair without it sounding like i was ripping and snapping.

My wash and go's look fantastic - the curls are defined and soft.

Question.....if i want to deep conditioned my hair using this method, would i apply the deep con after the oil is rinsed out or would i use a regular conditioner rinse then apply the deep one?

I just deep conditioned this morning. I clarified (it'd been 2 weeks since the last time), used the reconstructor, rinsed, applied oil, rinsed, applied regular conditioner, detangled while rinsing, towel dried and applied leave-in.

Just adding my $0.02! Oil-rinses are working for me. I've been doing them with olive oil. Thanks Sareca for sharing this method. It helps a lot!:yep:

Will rinsing before conditioning stop the conditioner from working/ penetrating?

Do you think it will work just as well if one were to apply the oil after rinsing out the conditioner? and just rinse out?

Will rinsing before conditioning stop the conditioner from working/ penetrating?

Do you think it will work just as well if one were to apply the oil after rinsing out the conditioner? and just rinse out?

This is exactly what I was wondering. Hmmm....

Ok, I just had a really greasy one. I've never have oil slicked hair after an oil rinse. I'm not even sure what I did differently but I had to re-rinse it. I didn't poo. I just applied more conditioner and rinsed again cause it was nasty greasy. :barf:

Maaan -- this sounds like just what I need. I've been limiting the frequency of my WNG's because the tangles are just pure torture, but my SO loves when I wear my hair out. Lord knows I like to please that man! :lachen:

Ok, I just had a really greasy one. I've never have oil slicked hair after an oil rinse. I'm not even sure what I did differently but I had to re-rinse it. I didn't poo. I just applied more conditioner and rinsed again cause it was nasty greasy. :barf:

Me, too. I have been washing every night experimenting with different oils, etc. I know that wgo and olive was really hard to rinse out for me. So, conditioner helped make it feel less greasy.
I have a gallon of hot oil I bought earlier this year (yes I am a pj) collecting dust under the sink. It has peg and water and sulphated castor oil among other things in it. It is not pure oil and it works really well.
My hair ate the coconut oil and laughed at me as if to say "That's all you got, bring it on!" So that was not as satisfying.
I did an olive oil wash(hair and body) on my littlest one whose scalp is very dry and scaly all the time related to eczema. Amazing her scalp looks normal. I am so happy.
So like I said, I have been doing this every day. Not even a chore. I just wash when I shower. The results do accumulate. Hair air dries quicker, less frizz, scalp is very clean not dry. Hair only looked greasy one time when I didnt rinse the olive out good, but it didnt feel greasy. This is a keeper. My hair looks better and feels different. Not as soft as it used to be. My DH gave me the thumbs up, and I give Sareca the thumbs up.
This is excellent for dry scalps, dry hair, quicker air dries and detangling. :goodone:

I am post a few days (last Saturday or Sunday) from my last rinse and I haven't had to moisturize not one strand and we are going into Thursday. My hair is still blowing in the wind, light and my ends are still banging yall!Now that's HOT! :yep:

So, I will be doing this every week as the final step to my regimen and again, it remove the greasy feeling just do a light shampoo after your rinse. You don't even need to condition after, just add your leave in, etc and blow dry or air dry whatever you prefer.

I am post a few days (last Saturday or Sunday) from my last rinse and I haven't had to moisturize not one strand and we are going into Thursday. My hair is still blowing in the wind, light and my ends are still banging yall!Now that's HOT! :yep:

So, I will be doing this every week as the final step to my regimen and again, it remove the greasy feeling just do a light shampoo after your rinse. You don't even need to condition after, just add your leave in, etc and blow dry or air dry whatever you prefer.

:whipgirl: That is HOT! I'm lovin' mine too. :yep: It's all soft and supple and goes for days feelin' awesome. Now if I could just get it to BSL I'd be set. :ohwell:

I tried this with coconut oil and a Jilbere shower comb. Unfortunately, I don't think it worked for me. How long are you supposed to leave it in?

I tried this with coconut oil and a Jilbere shower comb. Unfortunately, I don't think it worked for me. How long are you supposed to leave it in?

Coconut oil didn't too much for me either. Try another oil if you have some. Just slather it in and rinse, it doesn't have to stay in long.

Coconut oil didn't too much for me either. Try another oil if you have some. Just slather it in and rinse, it doesn't have to stay in long.

Have you seen this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=152473

Maybe coconut oil doesn't work as well because it penetrates the hairshaft, idk. I would try another oil as well. I used some jasmine oil I wanted to get rid of (way too perfumey - ack!) and it worked awesomely.

I did the oil rinse with castor oil and the results were so-so.....my hair felt a little greasy and trust me when I tell ya I rinsed with the water as hot as I could take it and for several minutes. :ohwell: I'm wondering if it was because castor oil is too thick? :confused: I'm gonna try EVOO and see if I get a different result. :perplexed

I tried it this past weekend (using olive oil and grapeseed oil) before my roller set and my hair is very soft and it was easy to untangled too. There was very little shed hairs too. I luv this!

Ok, I've been wanting to try this all week, but I got my hair done for my birthday on Saturday and wanted it to stay cute as long as possible. (I'm style-challenged:perplexed). Anyway, I just hopped out the shower after doing my first oil rinse with castor oil. I will keep you all informed after it dries. I'm kinda excited! Now, if I could just get rid of this darn dandruff and dry scalp!:perplexed

Peace and blessings,

Nat:giveheart:

I may well try this next wash ( in 2 days), i havent washed in over 2 weeks:nono: due to a nasty ear infection which im still fighting , so itll be a relief to get it clean finally:sad:, ill post my results,,,,, is there any chance this will leave a yucky film on my hair?? I have 3b/c texture and fine hair and my hair doesnt like anything left in thats too heavy.......?

OMG oil rinsing has saved my life!!! :yep: I just did this tonight and I promise you, never before has my hair felt sooooo moisturized and been so shiny after a wash this far post relaxer! It detangled like a breeze, and didn't even have to glob product on after I finished everything (rollerset/saran treatment) to make it look "right" like I normally do (and then, it still never looks right). Well it does tonight and I am over here beaming, this is a hair revelation! I revised it a little bit, and did mine like a 3 minute pree-poo. If you can't tell by now, I am very excited (a leap from the mild hair depression I was in earlier). This is a regimen staple, i love it! :grin: And I got to say, Sareca, I WAS sleeping on the oil rinses, but not anymore!! Thank you!!! :grin:

Last edited:
I wanted to wait until after I had tried this a few times before I posted my results. I've done an oil rinse 3 times, using Grapeseed Oil twice and EVOO once. When I used the EVOO, I used shampoo first and then the oil, but no conditioner, at all. My hair had the best results that time. IDK if it was due to the EVOO or not using conditioner.
4.gif
I will experiment some more.

Thanks for sharing this method, Sareca! :grin:
I do like it very much. :drunk:

Last edited:
I may well try this next wash ( in 2 days), i havent washed in over 2 weeks:nono: due to a nasty ear infection which im still fighting , so itll be a relief to get it clean finally:sad:, ill post my results,,,,, is there any chance this will leave a yucky film on my hair?? I have 3b/c texture and fine hair and my hair doesnt like anything left in thats too heavy.......?

I'm sorry to hear about your ear infection. I know how awful that can make you feel.
9.gif
I hope that you feel better, soon. :)

I have Type 2 hair and the oil rinse didn't leave a film on my hair. Just make sure that you rinse your hair thoroughly and you should be okay.

Back