Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

I did this last night and it was awful. :perplexed I used Kemi Oil and all of the oil didn't rinse out. I blowdried and it was a greasy mess. I was planning to press, but I knew it would turn out well so I just pulled my hair into a bun today. I will wash and blowdry again tonight, then press. :ohwell:

Gross! :barf: I love kemi oyl, never tried it for an oil rinse tho.

I tried this tonight and it is definitely a keeper.

I have 4z, dry natural hair. I'm lazy and love to wear wash n go, but by the end of the day my hair is a tangled knotted mess. I used Cream of Nature shampoo (the yellow top) to wash, I then applied Castor oil (about 1/2 cup) all over my hair. At first I didn't notice a difference, it was still tangled and knotted. I rinsed and applied my conditioner (Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin diluted with distilled water). Usually at this point I don't try and comb it because it's still hard to get the comb in the roots. Surprise, surprise the comb went right through to the end of my hair. It's a miracle.

I want to thank you sereca for post this method. I want to try other oils as well.

Do you do this with every wash (even condition washes)?

I do a version of this for my boys about once a month.

my dad used to do this too... only head-to-toe with olive and sesame oil, more of an oil bath i guess.:lol:

...my mom complained like crazy about the mess & the sight. She said he was insane.:lachen:

I also remember years ago seeing a documentary about India and the women were doing oil rinses over a huge bowl.

I completely forgot about the Ojon women. They do oil washes too.

Last edited:
I tried this tonight and it is definitely a keeper.

I have 4z, dry natural hair. I'm lazy and love to wear wash n go, but by the end of the day my hair is a tangled knotted mess. I used Cream of Nature shampoo (the yellow top) to wash, I then applied Castor oil (about 1/2 cup) all over my hair. At first I didn't notice a difference, it was still tangled and knotted. I rinsed and applied my conditioner (Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin diluted with distilled water). Usually at this point I don't try and comb it because it's still hard to get the comb in the roots. Surprise, surprise the comb went right through to the end of my hair. It's a miracle.

I want to thank you sereca for post this method. I want to try other oils as well.

Do you do this with every wash (even condition washes)?

:yay: It's a miracle for me too. I've recently adapted a low-mani regimen and I absolutely need it to keep from having a matted mess on my hands. I do at least 3X a week (is every time water touches my hair).

tried it and i like:yep:. But it made my hair sooooo straight looking. I slicked my hair back and its slickkkkkkkkkkkkk and smooth. Like usually i have waves and stuff but my hair is jus lying down and its sooo shiny. If i want a more curly look, im gonna have to skip the oil. But for a smooth, soft look oill rinses are :drunk:

Ok, I did it again, this time only oil. I wet my hair in the shower, poured approx 3 ounce of oil, washed with the oil and rinsed thoroughly. Feels the same. Still clean, not greasy. Air dried pretty quickly. It seems to work well if you rinse it out really well.
It has got me to thinking. When did people start using shampoo. What did they do before then? Is this a method that has been around for centuries and we are just getting to it?
I understand the concept of oil vs moisture. So if your hair is super dry does it need super moisture? Like a shower load of water soaking into parched strands and lots of oil to seal?
I really need to know. I will be spending this week trying to figure this out.

I washed my hair with shikakai for the first time, which probably didn't "dry out" my hair enough to need the oil rinse as it's a gentle cleanser. I applied a coconut-castor oil mix, covered with plastic, and sat under the bonnet dryer for about 15 minutes to let the oil melt in. I rinsed about an hour later and followed up with my DC.

My hair has a slightly oily yet silky feel to it, although it doesn't leave any oil on my hands. Detangling was easier except at my crown for some reason and my twists didn't want to stay in, so I had to put perm rods on the ends. We'll see how my twist-out turns out this morning.

I will definitely try this again because my hair does feel really soft without any dryness at all. It may take some time to get used to the trace oiliness though. I just wonder if this is too heavy for my roller sets - will try that next time.

So far so good. I can't give a definitive verdict until I wake up tomorrow morning and my hair is dry.

I followed your instructions, step by step

I did this last night and it was awful. :perplexed I used Kemi Oil and all of the oil didn't rinse out. I blowdried and it was a greasy mess. I was planning to press, but I knew it would turn out well so I just pulled my hair into a bun today. I will wash and blowdry again tonight, then press. :ohwell:

Did you try shampooing it out? I would try next time instead of rinsing with just water, as you know oil and water don't mix, so you need a little shampoo to get rid of the excess oil. You would think that shampoo would completely wash the oil away but it doesn't, it washes the oil away just enough to leave a little oil on the shaft.

Did you try shampooing it out? I would try next time instead of rinsing with just water, as you know oil and water don't mix, so you need a little shampoo to get rid of the excess oil. You would think that shampoo would completely wash the oil away but it doesn't, it washes the oil away just enough to leave a little oil on the shaft.

That's a good idea. :yep: The hot water is usually enough to melt the excess oil for me, but for all of you that had greasy hair use shampoo.

MissTress, I do wash n go's so you're probably also right about oil making the rollersets being too heavy. Maybe that should be the divider. Wng don't poo afterwards and rollersets should poo.

Last edited:
Oil rinses are the best. Both of my daughters’ hair is still soft and silky two days later. I detangled their hair under the water and the tangles fell out just as you promised. I also gave them their first henna treatments and the henna washed out instantly.

I washed and air dried my hair this weekend also and the results are fantastic. I'm able to manage the thickness with ease. Thanks for this wonderful tip.

MissTress, I do wash n go's so you're probably also right about oil making the rollersets being too heavy. Maybe that should be the divider. Wng don't poo afterwards and rollersets should poo.
After styling my hair this morning, I have to agree with you on this. My WnGs usually dry and tangle by end of day, but with this technique I'm sure that would become a non-issue.

It's a bit so-so for my twist-out. Like a dummy, I used the ORS Loc & Twist Gel when I should have stuck to Lottabody or a light serum. As a result my hair *is* quite oily - very shiny and easy to manage though - so I'll have to wash it tonight.

I can tell this will work for me; it's just a matter of finding the right combination of technique, products, and amount of oil.

I have a question.

I don't know the chemistry between oil and relaxers, but should I do oil rinses when I will soon get a relaxer? I can't really afford to be underprocesses?

I have a question.

I don't know the chemistry between oil and relaxers, but should I do oil rinses when I will soon get a relaxer? I can't really afford to be underprocesses?

Skip the oil rinse until post relaxer. It'll underprocess you. I know because I add oil to my relaxer for just that reason. :yep:

Wow!! Thanks so much for sharing. My 4a/4b hair love this. My ends are moisturized and soft, and my roots -- for the first time in my life (that I can remember), I have "baby hair" :lachen:

Skip the oil rinse until post relaxer. It'll underprocess you. I know because I add oil to my relaxer for just that reason. :yep:

Thanks. I knew people added oil to their relaxers for that reason, so I that's why I asked.

I really like the results because my hair was a monster to get through. And I don't know when my next relaxer will be (money is that tight right now) :eek:

Thanks. I knew people added oil to their relaxers for that reason, so I that's why I asked.

I really like the results because my hair was a monster to get through. And I don't know when my next relaxer will be (money is that tight right now) :eek:

If your hair likes oil rinses you should be able to stretch longer. :yep:

Thanks for posting this Sareca! I will do an oil rinse this week before I get it braided. Hopefully it will eliminate the tangles I get and help the braider effortlessly part through my natural hair!

Oil rinses are the best. Both of my daughters’ hair is still soft and silky two days later. I detangled their hair under the water and the tangles fell out just as you promised. I also gave them their first henna treatments and the henna washed out instantly.

I washed and air dried my hair this weekend also and the results are fantastic. I'm able to manage the thickness with ease. Thanks for this wonderful tip.

:yahoo: That's what happens to me too. It's like the water is a comb.

I had to shampoo my hair this morning because it was a little too greasy. I used my diluted Cream of Nature shampoo. It's mid day and my hair is still moist. I have few knots but I think I will have trim my hair to get rid of them. So far I give oil rinse two thumbs up! :up: :up:

I just shampooed my hair. I'm sitting under the dryer w/ oil on my hair, now. I'll probably do it for 30 min.

OK ... I am so, so, sooooooo trying this during my next wash. I usually wash / co-wash every other day; however, I just paid good money to get my hair done, so I'll have to wait for at least a week.

I tried this again use Palm Oil and it worked MUCH better this time. I'm not sure if it's a keeper though. Will have to experiment with it a bit.

Thanks so much for this gem of an idea! I tried this yesterday and braided up my hair to airdry. I removed them this morning to do the final cornrowing and I am amazed. I finally have a defined twistout that I can actually wear outside! Normally the ends frizz like they were burnt and make me want to cut them off although I know they are not damaged. Thank you again. I'll be doing this much more often!

Had to come back after I got home and took my bun down...

:notworthy: My hair is :love:

Thanks Sareca! The oil (palm) made all the difference!!! It didn't necessarily detangle it under the water but the results after it dried :shocked:. Very happy hair!! :yep: :yay:

Had to come back after I got home and took my bun down...

:notworthy: My hair is :love:

Thanks Sareca! The oil (palm) made all the difference!!! It didn't necessarily detangle it under the water but the results after it dried :shocked:. Very happy hair!! :yep: :yay:

This was my experience as well! It didn't help detangle, but my hair seems to be holding on to moisture better :yep:......not sure if it will be added to my regimen. When I prepoo with conditioner & oil mixed my hair feels like :love: & detangles easily so I may just stick to that.
Oh, I used grapeseed oil btw!

ETA: I had to jump off the oil rinse bandwagon after a few weeks....my hair started getting drier and drier over time. :nono:
I'll stick with adding oils to my conditioner.

Last edited:
Back