Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

i used african pride for the rinse, alma and african pride and shaki oil is in the henna mix and then when i was done i used alma oil to help detangle more.
i think i went overboard im wondering if i even need to do an oil rinse when i do the henna rinse being the henna mix is primary oil anyway.

Yeah you could probably skip the oil. :yep:

I tried this for the 1st time and loved, loved, loved it. :dinner:

I self-relaxed tonght, and after my millions of lathers of neutralizing poo I applied Dabur Amla oil and rinsed it out. I am very happy with the results and it does help hair airdry faster too. :yep:

I can't wait to see how repeated use improves my hair. I already notice a nice luster from this and detangling was a breeze. Thanks Sareca for all your insights. Between your henna, indigo and oil rinse posts, you have totally rocked my hair world. :drunk:

This tread is so intersting. My problem, I have fine hair. I tired olive oil and boy was that heavy!!! It was everywhere all over me and the shower. Any suggestions for us fine haired laides?? I love the idea however and my hair is super shiny...a bit greasy as well though...not bad because I am wearing a protective style.

Another question, how do you avoid slip and fall in the shower with the oil rinses :ohwell::spinning::drunk: I'm kinda clumbsy :rolleyes:

ETA - I might do the rinse of the oil in the sink and then do the conditoner and get back into the shower... just for my safety...lol can't oil rinse my hair in a hard hat very well! LOLOLOL

This tread is so intersting. My problem, I have fine hair. I tired olive oil and boy was that heavy!!! It was everywhere all over me and the shower. Any suggestions for us fine haired laides?? I love the idea however and my hair is super shiny...a bit greasy as well though...not bad because I am wearing a protective style.

Another question, how do you avoid slip and fall in the shower with the oil rinses :ohwell::spinning::drunk: I'm kinda clumbsy :rolleyes:

ETA - I might do the rinse of the oil in the sink and then do the conditoner and get back into the shower... just for my safety...lol can't oil rinse my hair in a hard hat very well! LOLOLOL
I have fine hair too. I just have to make sure I rinse very well, to avoid my hair becoming weighed down. The type of oil also makes a difference. Some are better than others for oil rinses. Try to find a light oil that works for your hair. So far, I've had the best results with jojoba and meadowfoam oil. My results with EVOO and coconut oil weren't as good. I don't wear protective styles, and oil rinses still work for me. HTH

I have fine hair too and my second try at oil rinsing left a heavy coat of coconut oil on my hair. This time, I conditioner-washed the oil out before DCing and my hair feels much better.

my hair feels much better i did a light shampoo with Kesh Nikhar Hair Soap, then did a light condition. So my lesson of the day when using alma oil especially go light lol
my next ? is how is everyone applying the oil, spray bottle (wich i did and was too heavy) app bottle or some in hand.
tia

I pour it into my hand and slather it in section-by-section. My coconut oil always has unmelted bits in it, so I cover with plastic and go under the dryer so it melts in. That helps to coat the hair more evenly. This may not be necessary if you're using Dabur amla oil because it's mostly mineral oil.

I pour it into my hand and slather it in section-by-section. My coconut oil always has unmelted bits in it, so I cover with plastic and go under the dryer so it melts in. That helps to coat the hair more evenly. This may not be necessary if you're using Dabur amla oil because it's mostly mineral oil.

Are you serious Dabur amla Oil has tons of mineral oil!!!!!!!?????

my hair feels much better i did a light shampoo with Kesh Nikhar Hair Soap, then did a light condition. So my lesson of the day when using alma oil especially go light lol
my next ? is how is everyone applying the oil, spray bottle (wich i did and was too heavy) app bottle or some in hand.
tia

I separate my hair into two, pour the oil in my hand, slather it on my hair starting midway the shaft and moving downward towards the ends. I use about a palmful (1/4c) per side.

LOL, my shower floor is texturized. Yeah you might want to do use the sink for this one. :) Try jojoba oil. It's much light and absorbs much more readily. :yep:

I tried this for the 1st time and loved, loved, loved it. :dinner:

I self-relaxed tonght, and after my millions of lathers of neutralizing poo I applied Dabur Amla oil and rinsed it out. I am very happy with the results and it does help hair airdry faster too. :yep:

I can't wait to see how repeated use improves my hair. I already notice a nice luster from this and detangling was a breeze. Thanks Sareca for all your insights. Between your henna, indigo and oil rinse posts, you have totally rocked my hair world. :drunk:

:woohoo2: Glad I'm not alone... those three things have rocked my world too!

Did it again and the results were even better than the first time!

I henna'd overnight (those grays are relentless :ohwell:), rinsed in the morning and applied Wheat Germ Oil and a heat cap. Wheat Germ Oil does not rinse out well ::nono: (I had forgotten that) so I did a very light rinse with diluted shampoo. Applied conditioner and rinsed after 10 min. Anyway, the result is silky, shiny hair and my ends look awesome! :yay:

Wheat Germ Oil may not be for everyone but my hair does like it and its pure Vit E for growth.

I did an oil rinse with jojoba oil & got fantastic results this time! I did it another way: After deep conditioning with Nacidit aceite de oliva I got in the shower and put a palm full of jojoba oil on each section of my hair(my hair was in four plaits) before rinsing the conditioner -and I had slip galore! :love:

After rinsing I followed up with a cold water rinse and ACV rinse. I feel like I have a new head of hair :cloud9:

Thanks again Sareca! :bighug:

I have fine hair too and my second try at oil rinsing left a heavy coat of coconut oil on my hair. This time, I conditioner-washed the oil out before DCing and my hair feels much better.
Now this sounds like it would work well for me...wash the oil out with con and then proceed with the DC...

I'll try that next time :drunk:

I had Absolutely Amazing Results on the very 1st try. I had a little new growth and usually have to do the crown and glory method of washing my hair with braids. So I pre-cond my hair with ORS revitalizing pack and put my hair in 6 braids, then I washed my scalp with IC Pure Tea to get my scalp clean, then washed with Keracare Detangling Poo, squeezing the poo through my braids for cleaning. Afterwards, I poured a little safflower oil onto each braid starting at the roots. Let it sit in for a few minutes, rinsed it out, then put in Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor on each braid-let sit for like 15 min, rinsed that out, and Woweeeeeee:bouncegre. My hair was extremely manageable......And I have kinky, course, fine, 4bd......z :perplexed, nearly mid back length hair and it's "Texlaxed" so when I say I feel like crying sometimes trying to detangle it....I'm serious. :cry: I believe the safflower oil is very light and doesn't weigh the hair down like some of the other oils may do. I didn't have to shampoo after I put the oil in it, I just rinsed it and put in the conditioner. I will forever be oil rinsing. With the crown and glory method, and now the oil rinses, I will certainly be waistlength by the end of 2008. Thank you SO much for sharing.....you are an angel.:littleang

I tried this yesterday and it didn't really work out (my fault) since I had clarified with Suave, followed up with Aveda DR shampoo, squeezed out excess water, then used a mixture of jojoba oil and Amla oil and left on for about 5 minutes without heat, rinsed then followed up with Aveda DR Treatment ( which seems to do nothing moisture wise for my hair).
I think I messed up by not following up with a moisturizing conditioner after the DR Treatment. My hair felt good when rinsing but wasn't moisturized as I was styling.
A few Q's... Do you squeeze out excess water before adding oil? How long is long enough to leave the oil in? Is it really okay to use heat with the oil on the hair? It won't 'cook' the hair will it? TIA for answers!

I tried this yesterday and it didn't really work out (my fault) since I had clarified with Suave, followed up with Aveda DR shampoo, squeezed out excess water, then used a mixture of jojoba oil and Amla oil and left on for about 5 minutes without heat, rinsed then followed up with Aveda DR Treatment (which seems to do nothing moisture wise for my hair). I think I messed up by not following up with a moisturizing conditioner after the DR Treatment. My hair felt good when rinsing but wasn't moisturized as I was styling.

A few Q's... Do you squeeze out excess water before adding oil? How long is long enough to leave the oil in? Is it really okay to use heat with the oil on the hair? It won't 'cook' the hair will it? TIA for answers!

You did it right. :yep: I've done that same thing with those exact same products. I squeeze, but don't towel dry before adding the oil. If it's hot enough to cook your hair it's probably hot enough to cook your scalp and that's way way way too hot. :yep:

Try again with different oils and a moisturizing conditioner. Do you have any red palm butter? I've yet to hear of a bad oil rinse using it. If you don't try olive oil and jojoba (with mostly olive and a little jojoba).

Last edited:
OK ... after reading all of the glowing reviews about oil rinsing, I couldn’t wait to try this. I didn't want to automatically run out and buy some of the oils that some of the other ladies mentioned (coconut, jojoba, etc.) until I used some of oils that I already had around the house. So, I tried it 3 separate times within the past few days with varying results and techniques:

Experiment #1 (Castor Oil):
· Clarified with Ion Clarifying Shampoo
· Washed with Keracare Hydrating Shampoo; squeezed out excess water
· Saturated hair with castor oil and wore plastic cap under dryer for 15 minutes
· Rinsed with very hot water to get it all out
· Applied Sunsilk Straighten Up Conditioner (sat in plastic cap under dryer for 15 minutes)
· Rinsed with very warm water
· Rinsed with COLD water for 1 minute to close cuticle

Results: Ummm ... nooooooooooo! Just no, no, no, no, no!! Copious amounts of castor oil + fine hair = bad, bad, greasy ball of poo!! I guess I shouldn't be shocked out this, seeing as how castor oil is so thick and all. But I use castor oil to seal my ends every day without a problem. Perhaps I used too much? Maybe I will try it again using less.

Experiment #2 (Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

· Rinsed my hair with very warm water; squeezed out excess water
· Saturated hair with olive oil and wore plastic cap under dryer for 15 minutes
· Rinsed with very hot water
· Applied Sunsilk Straighten Up Conditioner (sat in plastic cap under dryer for 15 minutes)

Results: Much better. Still a little greasy, but not nearly the fright fest of the castor oil debacle.

Experiment #3 (Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil):

· Heated up Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil in a cup in the microwave for 20 seconds
· Saturated my dry hair with the warm oil (like the old fashioned hot oil treatments) and wore plastic cap around the house for an hour (did not sit under the dryer this time)
· Applied Aveda DR Conditioner
· Deep conditioned in plastic cap under dryer for 25 minutes

Results: EUREKA!!! FABULOSITY EXTREME!! My hair came out super moisturized and luscious. I don’t know whether or not the Aveda DR made the difference or the oil itself or the process of heating it up in the microwave and putting it on my dry hair … but my hair feels amazing today!!! This combo is a winner!!

I’m anxious to continue the experiment using different oils and conditioners. There are so many variables to interchange, a person could go crazy experimenting.

OK ... after reading all of the glowing reviews about oil rinsing, I couldn’t wait to try this. I didn't want to automatically run out and buy some of the oils that some of the other ladies mentioned (coconut, jojoba, etc.) until I used some of oils that I already had around the house. So, I tried it 3 separate times within the past few days with varying results and techniques:

Experiment #1 (Castor Oil):
· Clarified with Ion Clarifying Shampoo
· Washed with Keracare Hydrating Shampoo; squeezed out excess water
· Saturated hair with castor oil and wore plastic cap under dryer for 15 minutes
· Rinsed with very hot water to get it all out

Results: Ummm ... nooooooooooo! Just no, no, no, no, no!! Copious amounts of castor oil + fine hair = bad, bad, greasy ball of poo!! I guess I shouldn't be shocked out this, seeing as how castor oil is so thick and all. But I use castor oil to seal my ends every day without a problem. Perhaps I used too much? Maybe I will try it again using less.

Experiment #2 (Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

· Rinsed my hair with very warm water; squeezed out excess water
· Saturated hair with olive oil and wore plastic cap under dryer for 15 minutes

Results: Much better. Still a little greasy, but not nearly the fright fest of the castor oil debacle.

Experiment #3 (Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil):

· Heated up Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil in a cup in the microwave for 20 seconds
· Saturated my dry hair with the warm oil (like the old fashioned hot oil treatments) and wore plastic cap around the house for an hour (did not sit under the dryer this time)
· Applied Aveda DR Conditioner
· Deep conditioned in plastic cap under dryer for 25 minutes

Results: EUREKA!!! FABULOSITY EXTREME!! My hair came out super moisturized and luscious. I don’t know whether or not the Aveda DR made the difference or the oil itself or the process of heating it up in the microwave and putting it on my dry hair … but my hair feels amazing today!!! This combo is a winner!!

I’m anxious to continue the experiment using different oils and conditioners. There are so many variables to interchange, a person could go crazy experimenting.

:yay: Glad you found your magic combo. :happydance: It's definitely worth the time and effort.

Hi Sareca I'm pre-pooing right now with Cholesterol and I decided I will give it a try:yep:
I will use my HB Carrott Oil for this,let's see how it goes at 15 weeks post with my relaxed hair matting I can use every help I get.
I'll report back later today

the name of the holistic beauty book is called "Earthly Bodies and Heavenly Hair" by Dina Falconi.

She doesn't quite call these oil rinses, instead she calls them hair/scalp emollients, but I was happy to see that she talks about how the various oils help to detangle the hair.

From book:

Hair and Scalp emollients include oils and pomades that soothe, nourish and soften the scalp and hair. . . they can be used for detangling the hair. They can either be applied to the hair at room temp. or used for hot oil treatments. They make your hair shiny, soft and more manageable. . . you can choose from carrier oils such as coconut, sesame, olive or jojoba. When applying oil or pomade to your hair, start by placing a very small amount on your fingertips and combing your fingers through your hair to distribute the emollient evenly. Massage the scalp as well. Apply more as needed. Beware of applying too much oil and ending up with slick, greasy hair, unless that is the effect you desire. Oil is very difficult to wash out if applied too thickly.

She also gives a pretty detailed description on hot hair oil treatments which is pretty typical--in terms of wrapping your hair in a plastic bag, etc. She suggests using "a rich carrier oil, such as jojoba or coconut" and then put the oil in a "heat-proof measuring cup and place in a hot water bath until it reaches 100-105 degrees. Then she says massage the warm oil into your scalp and brush it through hair until evenly dispersed. Keep hair covered for at least an hour, then wash hair for a shiny luxurious result. Note that it is not absolutely necessary to wash your hair after this treatment.

********"This procedure is also very helpful for untangling hair gnarls: workout the knots with finger or a comb while the hair is saturated with oil."
Here are some of the oil rinse recipes for dry hair:

Rosemary Olive Hair Oil--use as a cleansing and invigorating scalp and hair tonic for dry, brittle hair and flaky, itchy scalp. (The amounts she suggests are: 1oz. cold pressed olive oil and 30 drops of rosemary essential oil; but I think most of us would use a lot more).

For drier and more damage hair types, she says to substitute jojoba oil for the olive oil. For oilier hair, replace olive oil with sesame oil.

Coconut Cedarwood Lavender Hair Oil--a rich cleansing oil for conditioning hair and scalp

the cedarwood and lavender oil should be essential oils

You are such a
18.gif
for taking the time to type all of that info for us. :kiss:

Here's a big
1.gif
!

Hi Sareca I'm pre-pooing right now with Cholesterol and I decided I will give it a try:yep:
I will use my HB Carrott Oil for this,let's see how it goes at 15 weeks post with my relaxed hair matting I can use every help I get.
I'll report back later today

Good luck!

Last edited:
Sareca,

I've been loving these oil rinses so much! :love: I'm about to go and do my 4th one, now. You start the best threads and share an abundance of outstanding info.

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
THANK YOU, VERY MUCH!!!​
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Last edited:
tia

Depending on the size if the bottle, I pour some over my hair, a little at a time, or pour it in my hands and apply it to my hair.

Sareca,

I've been loving these oil rinses so much! :love: I'm about to go and do my 4th one, now. You start the best threads and share an abundance of outstanding info.

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
THANK YOU, VERY MUCH!!!​
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Awww thanks :blush3: I just wish it worked for everybody. :(