Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Hmmm...I'ma have to try this. Best part about it is that I don't even have to buy new products! Thanks for posting this.:grin:

I tried this again for the second time last night. I pre-poo with Ginseng Wonder growth oil 15 minutes before shampooing. I had my hair in cornrows for a week, and I could see the shed hair sliding out as I did my hot water rinse. After deep conditioning, I did not have those nasty knots and tangles. This is so great...

Sareca, I could kiss you!!! I just rinsed safflower oil with garlic pieces and I really love it so far. I am going to condition my hair now but I just had to let you know that I really appreciate how easy detangling was because of this Hopefully this can add more elasticity to my hair!!

I'm sorry to hear about your ear infection. I know how awful that can make you feel.
9.gif
I hope that you feel better, soon. :)

I have Type 2 hair and the oil rinse didn't leave a film on my hair. Just make sure that you rinse your hair thoroughly and you should be okay.
Thanx so much Mestiza!, definitely if it didnt weigh down your type 2 it shouldnt weigh down my type 3, so im gonna try it tomorrow,, ill post the results...

hey everyone i did a i guess you would call henna rinse today. i mixed some leftover henna mix into some conditoner and oil and poured on hair, detangled and rinsed out.
im not feeling to great today thats why i didnt do a full henna gloss.(letting it sit on my head for 30 min-hour)
my hair still came out good the only thing is i used alma oil as an oil rinse
and i think i used a bit too much but ill just redo tomorrow if this saran wrap dosent soak most of it up.
so i guess i know now that i dont need the extra oil if i do a henna gloss or henna rinse

i can't wait to try this! thanks for posting. this sounded somewhat familiar, and i looked in this holistic beauty book that i have, and it has a whole section about oil rinses and evoo oils. it says that jojoba and rose oil is best for dry hair. i'm excited to try this next week when i take out my cornrows!

Awesome! :grin:

I have two reasons which are kinda specific to how I style my hair.... before oiling I divide my hair down the middle and gently pulling it apart. I need the water to help me get that far. I also noticed I seem to need less oil when my hair is already wet.

I think that is because the cuticle is open while wet.:look:

i can't wait to try this! thanks for posting. this sounded somewhat familiar, and i looked in this holistic beauty book that i have, and it has a whole section about oil rinses and evoo oils. it says that jojoba and rose oil is best for dry hair. i'm excited to try this next week when i take out my cornrows!

Jojoba and rose huh? Haven't tried those yet. I'll add 'em to the list.

Sareca, I could kiss you!!! I just rinsed safflower oil with garlic pieces and I really love it so far. I am going to condition my hair now but I just had to let you know that I really appreciate how easy detangling was because of this Hopefully this can add more elasticity to my hair!!

Yay! :hug2: It will definitely improve your hair's moisture retention.

Update: So far, so good. I will try this a few more times before giving my final verdict, but this is definitely looking promising. Thanks, Sareca! :flowers:

Interesting! What's the name of the book if you don't mind me asking. TIA! :)

the name of the holistic beauty book is called "Earthly Bodies and Heavenly Hair" by Dina Falconi.

She doesn't quite call these oil rinses, instead she calls them hair/scalp emollients, but I was happy to see that she talks about how the various oils help to detangle the hair.

From book:

Hair and Scalp emollients include oils and pomades that soothe, nourish and soften the scalp and hair. . . they can be used for detangling the hair. They can either be applied to the hair at room temp. or used for hot oil treatments. They make your hair shiny, soft and more manageable. . . you can choose from carrier oils such as coconut, sesame, olive or jojoba. When applying oil or pomade to your hair, start by placing a very small amount on your fingertips and combing your fingers through your hair to distribute the emollient evenly. Massage the scalp as well. Apply more as needed. Beware of applying too much oil and ending up with slick, greasy hair, unless that is the effect you desire. Oil is very difficult to wash out if applied too thickly.

She also gives a pretty detailed description on hot hair oil treatments which is pretty typical--in terms of wrapping your hair in a plastic bag, etc. She suggests using "a rich carrier oil, such as jojoba or coconut" and then put the oil in a "heat-proof measuring cup and place in a hot water bath until it reaches 100-105 degrees. Then she says massage the warm oil into your scalp and brush it through hair until evenly dispersed. Keep hair covered for at least an hour, then wash hair for a shiny luxurious result. Note that it is not absolutely necessary to wash your hair after this treatment.

********"This procedure is also very helpful for untangling hair gnarls: workout the knots with finger or a comb while the hair is saturated with oil."
Here are some of the oil rinse recipes for dry hair:

Rosemary Olive Hair Oil--use as a cleansing and invigorating scalp and hair tonic for dry, brittle hair and flaky, itchy scalp. (The amounts she suggests are: 1oz. cold pressed olive oil and 30 drops of rosemary essential oil; but I think most of us would use a lot more).

For drier and more damage hair types, she says to substitute jojoba oil for the olive oil. For oilier hair, replace olive oil with sesame oil.

Coconut Cedarwood Lavender Hair Oil--a rich cleansing oil for conditioning hair and scalp

the cedarwood and lavender oil should be essential oils

Thanks tiffcurl! I have jojoba oil on my hair right now. I didn't have any rose oil so I substituted meadowfoam oil. I like how the jojoba went on. The type of oil does make a big difference.

So far my favorites have been red palm and EFA. I can't wait to see how the jojoba works out. :yep:

ETA:Ok, I can already tell jojoba and meadowfoam is gonna be a winner. It absorbed into my hair more than the others. Usually you can still feel oil on the the hair after rinsing (before applying the conditioner). I didn't feel a thing. It might have even worked better than red palm oil. :eek: I have to wait to see how it dries for a final call, but I'm expecting very good things.

es, but this is definitely a winner.

Last edited:
UPDATE: That was awesome!
100_5687-vi.jpg
100_5898-vi.jpg
<<both of these are bedhead braids. There's a slight difference in shine... :woohoo: There's also almost no trace of the oil. I usually feel a little, but it's gone and only the resulting shine and softness is left. Jojoba is my new carrier oil. I'm can't wait to try it with red palm oil. Thanks tiffcurl! :hug2:

Last edited:
Thank you Sareca! I'm glad the jojoba worked for you. Your hair looks amazing! I can't wait to try this!

I think I'm going to try this method on my cornrows--synthetic hair added. (I think someone else posted in this thread that they did this on their cornrows. . . I think)

I've been getting cornrows done about every two weeks for awhile and i ran out of that expensive Ojon which is basically palm oil. I did notice if I put that on at night and washed it out in the morning, my hair would be easier to detangle. So, I think I will try to slather my cornrows with jojoba and rosemary oil, sleep with a plastic cap and then do Sareca's directions for washing/conditioning, and then proceed to take out my cornrows after the whole process. I haven't been using any oil on my hair and that's probably why I've had tons of knots lately!

I am so glad you discovered and posted this girl!:grin:

Thank you Sareca! I'm glad the jojoba worked for you. Your hair looks amazing! I can't wait to try this!

I think I'm going to try this method on my cornrows--synthetic hair added. (I think someone else posted in this thread that they did this on their cornrows. . . I think)

I've been getting cornrows done about every two weeks for awhile and i ran out of that expensive Ojon which is basically palm oil. I did notice if I put that on at night and washed it out in the morning, my hair would be easier to detangle. So, I think I will try to slather my cornrows with jojoba and rosemary oil, sleep with a plastic cap and then do Sareca's directions for washing/conditioning, and then proceed to take out my cornrows after the whole process. I haven't been using any oil on my hair and that's probably why I've had tons of knots lately!

I am so glad you discovered and posted this girl!:grin:

I used to melt red palm cream and saturate my braids and kinky twists once a week. :yep:

This is the first time hearing about this. Can someone tell me how to go about doing oil rinses. I am seeing growth and improvement in my hair and since the winter is coming up and my hair gets dry during this time , I think oil rinses should be good for my hair. I dont want to have a setback. Thanks much

This is the first time hearing about this. Can someone tell me how to go about doing oil rinses. I am seeing growth and improvement in my hair and since the winter is coming up and my hair gets dry during this time , I think oil rinses should be good for my hair. I dont want to have a setback. Thanks much

It's super easy. Just wash or rinse your hair, apply your favorite oil (i like red palm, efa, and jojoba), leave it for a few minutes (or hours with or without heat), rinse with hot water, apply your favorite conditioner, leave it for a few minutes (or hours with or without heat), rinse. You don't shampoo the oil out.

Thank you Sareca!

I washed my hair last night and tried to oil-rinse method. I shampooed my hair, rinsed, applied EVOO and left that on for 5 minutes, rinsed, detangled my hair under the water (had my hair detangled in 10 minutes!!!!!), applied AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and left that on for 5 minutes and rinsed. I twisted my hair in 1 1/2 hours and my hair looks awesome!

Next time, I will try detangling after the conditioner has been applied and rinsed to see if that makes a difference.

:yay:

Ebony, I always neglect how fabulous the hair looks after an oil rinse esp if you're airdrying. I was stuck on how well it detangled and how soft and moist it felt afterwards, but I shouldn't forget that my wng's always come out "right." I know that's the oil. :yep:

Last edited:
sareca i did a henna rinse and an oil rinse the yesterday and now my hair feels kind of oily, should i wait and see if it will soak up or should i rinse it out somehow?
thanks

Wow, you miss a lot when you're away for a week or so! This sounds really great and I have so many oils to use. It does sound similar to how the dominican rinses work on the hair, but why buy them if oil rinses work just as well and don't have the chemicals/preservatives. I'm definitely trying this my next wash....probably a rosehip, grapeseed, jojoba, rosemary combo. I'm gonna mix it in an applicator bottle right now....Thanks Sareca! You da bomb girl!:yep:

sareca i did a henna rinse and an oil rinse the yesterday and now my hair feels kind of oily, should i wait and see if it will soak up or should i rinse it out somehow?
thanks

Go ahead and poo. Um... that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean. :wink2: A crazy amount of henna will come out too. Oh, what oil did you use again? I think you told me but i forgot.

@ Lavendar let's us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Go ahead and poo. Um... that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean. :wink2: A crazy amount of henna will come out too. Oh, what oil did you use again? I think you told me but i forgot.

@ Lavendar let's us know how it goes.

i used african pride for the rinse, alma and african pride and shaki oil is in the henna mix and then when i was done i used alma oil to help detangle more.
i think i went overboard im wondering if i even need to do an oil rinse when i do the henna rinse being the henna mix is primary oil anyway.

Back