Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

i tired this last night even though i like this method alot i dont recommend using dr mircles oil, lol, i had some and i thought hey i need to get rid of this. my head was tingling like crazy. I need to go order some more alma oil.
this does work my hair is soft and moist and blinging!

I tried this this morning, and it actually works! I was a little apprehensive because I usually have ALOT of tangles and knots. I had just taken down some week old cornrows. I modifed this alittle by doing an oil rinse before shampooing. I could not believe that I didn't have any knots or tangles. I will be doing this everytime I shampoo now. Thanks Sareca!

Sareca, you had posted this tip in another thread last week I think. So I tried it then and it didn't do a thing for my hair. Do you saturate the hair with oil or just lightly, but thoroughly oil the hair? I'm desperate to resolve my chronic dryness.

ETA: Now that I've read the whole thread :blush: I see where you mention using two handfuls of oil, so I didn't use enough. Also, I only left the oil on for a few minutes. I'll try again this weekend for a longer time and report back.

Thanks, sareca. It's a great tip and I'm glad it's working for everyone.

Don't be shy... drown that hair. :drowning: I'm probably using a little under 1/2 cup. :yep: Your hair won't be oily when you get done. :nono:

I tried this this morning, and it actually works! I was a little apprehensive because I usually have ALOT of tangles and knots. I had just taken down some week old cornrows. I modifed this alittle by doing an oil rinse before shampooing. I could not believe that I didn't have any knots or tangles. I will be doing this everytime I shampoo now. Thanks Sareca!

:woohoo:
That's so exciting and it's a very good idea to do oil rinses before and after poo'g ANYTIME you're anticipating trouble, not just for henna. :yep:

Last edited:
i tired this last night even though i like this method alot i dont recommend using dr mircles oil, lol, i had some and i thought hey i need to get rid of this. my head was tingling like crazy. I need to go order some more alma oil.
this does make my hair is soft and moist and blinging!

Oooo, good to know! Takes notes... no dr miracle oil... got it!

Thanks for posting this. I wish I had read this last night before I shampooed. I will definitely try this next time. I am so excited. Every now and then we come upon a breakthrough. Something so revolutionary that it becomes "the rule" like deep conditioning and protective styles. I appreciate you posting this.

I tried this today, and it was pretty good... I am over 7 weeks post and my hair is misbehaving also... I still had a few tangles, I need to trim my ends bad, but I will wait until the 25th of this month to do that and I am shedding hairs too, But I can't wait to try this after my touch-up... I know my hair will do great with this method... Thanks for the tips...

OK, so I tried it, and I'm in on the oil rinse club! Seriously, when I ran my head underneath the shower head, the tangles did fall out. And I don't know what it is, but my hair also seems to retain more moisture. This is like the discovery of the year for me!

I tried this today, and it was pretty good... I am over 7 weeks post and my hair is misbehaving also... I still had a few tangles, I need to trim my ends bad, but I will wait until the 25th of this month to do that and I am shedding hairs too, But I can't wait to try this after my touch-up... I know my hair will do great with this method... Thanks for the tips...

It was just so-so? Well, if you decide to try it again, increase the amount of oil or trying doing the oil rinse before and after you poo.

Thanks for reporting back. :)

OK, so I tried it, and I'm in on the oil rinse club! Seriously, when I ran my head underneath the shower head, the tangles did fall out. And I don't know what it is, but my hair also seems to retain more moisture. This is like the discovery of the year for me!

Did it this morning before my daily cowash. My twa is still thanking me. thanks for the tip Sareca!:grin:

I tried this with Africa's Best brand Herbal Oil--which retails for about 2.99 and the comb just glided through my hair. This technique is definately a keeper for me:grin:

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. :woohoo2:

Last edited:
I tried this with Africa's Best brand Herbal Oil--which retails for about 2.99 and the comb just glided through my hair. This technique is definately a keeper for me:grin:

Oil rinses you say, hmmmm the hair plot thickens... :scratchch :eyebrows2

MUST...TRY... OIL RINSE! :sekret:

It's interesting, plus rinsing with hot water makes it sound like a yummy in-shower hot oil treatment. :yep:

Sareca I had to wash my hair this evening to try this.
I shampooed, rinsed, oiled with 3oz of oil for about 2 minutes, rinsed with very warm water, conditioned for a couple of minutes, then rinsed with warm to cool water.
Results
1. Wet hair has smooth, clean feeling. Sort of squeaky but not in a dry damaging way. Very shiny. It feels like your hair looks in your 3rd picture with the french braid.
2. While airdrying hair loose, the ends are not as frizzy. They usually frizz curl up the bottom 5 inches of hair. Only about .5 to 1 inch this time.
3. After drying, I put some leave in on the ends and sealed with oil, rolled the ends to straighten.
4. Results for this relaxed 4a with very dry hair and extremely porous ends is... commendable. Hair is smooth and shiny, air drying went good this time. Excellent feel appeal.
This is a whole lot simpler than a separate hot oil treatment which means I would be more inclined to do this every time.

i have to add i believe my hair dried quicker while airdrying using this method. Im not sure why but it seemed like it

I'm going to try it in the morning when I do my usual rinse. My hair is in twists so there won't be any detangling. I'll just look out for other benefits.

i have to add i believe my hair dried quicker while airdrying using this method. Im not sure why but it seemed like it

You may be on to something. I did an oil rinse 2 nights ago and I roller set my hair (soaking wet) after 11pm. I woke up at 6:30 am and there was only one section in the middle that was slightly damp. The front of my hair, which usually takes eons to dry, was completely dry.

Sareca I had to wash my hair this evening to try this.
I shampooed, rinsed, oiled with 3oz of oil for about 2 minutes, rinsed with very warm water, conditioned for a couple of minutes, then rinsed with warm to cool water.
Results
1. Wet hair has smooth, clean feeling. Sort of squeaky but not in a dry damaging way. Very shiny. It feels like your hair looks in your 3rd picture with the french braid.
2. While airdrying hair loose, the ends are not as frizzy. They usually frizz curl up the bottom 5 inches of hair. Only about .5 to 1 inch this time.
3. After drying, I put some leave in on the ends and sealed with oil, rolled the ends to straighten.
4. Results for this relaxed 4a with very dry hair and extremely porous ends is... commendable. Hair is smooth and shiny, air drying went good this time. Excellent feel appeal.
This is a whole lot simpler than a separate hot oil treatment which means I would be more inclined to do this every time.

:flowers: Congrats! I have very dry 4a hair too. Here's something else I forgot to share.... I'll get better and better the longer you do it. Your hair should be less and less porous over time. I know mine has over time. I used to have a big problem with it reverting in the humidity... not no more!

Your hair will respond better to everything you do to it... conditioners, styling product, heat, whatever!

Started by telling ya'll about the disaster I had from skipping an oil rinse but I thought about last night and that was from skipping a few oil rinses. Once you've done 3 or 4 you should be able to skip one without consequence.

Oh, and the third pic in my siggy is after an oil rinse. I'd done a 1 hour alma tea rinse followed by a 1 hour amla oil rinse. It's so funny you picked that one out.

i could have sworn i posted already.
anyway, i tried this in the order you posted. and omg. my hair still feels great.

4mia said:
have to add i believe my hair dried quicker while airdrying using this method. Im not sure why but it seemed like it

Congrats to you too lsubadiedee. :)

mia, mine dries faster too. :yep:

Oh damn I just washed my hair lastnight.

I'm gonna have to try this cus my hair tangles up so much that i think i'm ripping it out everytime i comb it....the spirals are crazy.

I think it will improve the way my wash n' go's look as right now its a frizzy mess when it dries.

Am i right in saying that a comb doesn't touch my hair until the conditioner is in it?

Usually i attack :swordfighmy hair when dry otherwise i'll be in the shower for an hour trying to detangle.:drowning:

Ok I've lurked this thread enough. I'm trying this evening. I think I'll use Amla and Olive oil. I'm almost 7wks post and my new growth is growling at me after I wash. I hope it works for me like it has for you guys. Although why shouldn't it.:ohwell:

Ok I've lurked this thread enough. I'm trying this evening. I think I'll use Amla and Olive oil. I'm almost 7wks post and my new growth is growling at me after I wash. I hope it works for me like it has for you guys. Although why shouldn't it.:ohwell:

This is definitely one of those "why shouldn't it" ones. If you don't get the results you expect try different oils and use more of them. :yep:

Oh damn I just washed my hair lastnight.

I'm gonna have to try this cus my hair tangles up so much that i think i'm ripping it out everytime i comb it....the spirals are crazy.

I think it will improve the way my wash n' go's look as right now its a frizzy mess when it dries.

Am i right in saying that a comb doesn't touch my hair until the conditioner is in it?

Usually i attack :swordfighmy hair when dry otherwise i'll be in the shower for an hour trying to detangle.:drowning:

No combs until you're under running water rinsing out the conditioner. You'll be surprised how much the water will help you detangle your freshly oiled hair.

No combs until you're under running water rinsing out the conditioner. You'll be surprised how much the water will help you detangle your freshly oiled hair.

Thanks for that tip I am going to try this with my daughter's hair too. Q

Oh Lawdy - thanks for this. I think my hair (and my arms) will breath a sigh of relief if this works.

Back