Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

I tried this once and while my hair was softer I didn't like the way it felt so oily. It was a little bit too much for me. I used sweet almond oil and slathered it all over my head. I had to poo to get it all out.

I wonder what it would be like with coconut oil...I think I'll have to try that this weekend.

I'm so glad you asked, do oil rinses before and after henna. It works extremely well to combat dryness and tangles after a henna treatment.

I also never thought about dominican rinses having oil in them. That's a good point.

What's a dominican rinse/conditioner? I saw dominican drying technique on another thread, but I have no idea what that is.

I used coconut oil.

What's a dominican rinse/conditioner? I saw dominican drying technique on another thread, but I have no idea what that is.

Dominican rinse/conditioner is a cream rinse. I think the most popular one is Laifer. It's pink. There are other ones at www.sickbay.biz.

Rinses seem to weigh your hair down less than regular conditioners. It gives my hair a lot of body and bounce and a nice healthy sheen. I love using it before I rollerset, to CO wash and some people use them before they wash and go.

I used coconut oil.

Dominican rinse/conditioner is a cream rinse. I think the most popular one is Laifer. It's pink. There are other ones at www.sickbay.biz.

Rinses seem to weigh your hair down less than regular conditioners. It gives my hair a lot of body and bounce and a nice healthy sheen. I love using it before I rollerset, to CO wash and some people use them before they wash and go.

Thanks! I might try this tonight.:drunk:

why why why did i wait to try this???

saturate with olive oil then Lekair cholestor = smooth like silk hair :grin:. I still have tangles, but they are much easier to manage :yep:

Wow! I read this whole thread. I never have had problems with tangles, but my hair is only SL. But I am impressed that this cuts down on drying time. So for daily co-washers or people who wash 2-3 times a week, this might mean that rollersetting daily is now possible. One poster some pages back said that she rollersetted after 11pm and by the morning her hair was dry except one spot. This is impressive!

Some of you ladies are putting the condish on top of the oil? Does that work better than rinsing it out?

I will definitely be doing that with the mother of all oils...coconut.

First time poster, long-time lurker, so... hello all! :wavey:
( I'll work on all my profile and icon stuff later ).

After reading this, I just had to take the dive and buy a board membership. This really looks like such a great idea and I definitely have a few questions, so I just had to post!

Do you think it would be okay to do this for every wash? Or maybe just once a week or just when detangling?
Also, what oils do you think would be best? Is there somewhere that I could find a list of beneficial oils for hair and what they do?

TIA!

Have you noticed that you hair is drying faster?

Come to think of it, I have noticed that too. My hair is so dense that it usually takes hours for it to dry. Now, since doing the oil rinse it is within an hour or 2.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I have noticed that too. My hair is so dense that it usually takes hours for it to dry. Now, since doing the oil rinse it is within an hour or 2.

This is what people way back in the middle of this thread was saying. This could be groundbreaking for daily co-washers who want more styling options.

I'm not sure if this will work for me. I have a lot of hair and using a whole bottle of oil is going to be expensive.

I tried this before!
My hair was so soft and detangled!
I just used regular evoo nothing special thats it!
i didnt know my results would be that good:look:

im definitely gonna try your process, last time i washed, dc'ed, then oil rinsed, and i felt like a grease monkey when i was done, i had to wash again the next day!!!

I'm not sure if this will work for me. I have a lot of hair and using a whole bottle of oil is going to be expensive.

Hmm..I totally didn't take this into consideration, that the longer the hair, the more oil and that being more expensive. Maybe one of the longer-haired ladies can chime in on how they are being frugal with the amount of oil they are using.

Hmm..I totally didn't take this into consideration, that the longer the hair, the more oil and that being more expensive. Maybe one of the longer-haired ladies can chime in on how they are being frugal with the amount of oil they are using.

I have BSL 3c texlaxed hair. Oil rinses don't really work for me, but I have done oil washes. I believe Isis posted a thread, but search isn't letting me find it right now. :wallbash:

I used the oil wash method to aid in detangling my hair before I texlaxed. Basically I hold my head over a dishpan, pour the oil over my head, work and squeeze it through, finger detangle, detangle with a comb in sections, then follow with a regular conditioner wash. I use about a cup of oil each time.

I just use an inexpensive oil from the supermarket since I am washing it out anyway. I have used safflower oil (my everyday oil, 3.49 for a large bottle) or even regular old vegetable oil if I wanted something heavy for detangling.
HTH.

I have BSL 3c texlaxed hair. Oil rinses don't really work for me, but I have done oil washes. I believe Isis posted a thread, but search isn't letting me find it right now. :wallbash:

I used the oil wash method to aid in detangling my hair before I texlaxed. Basically I hold my head over a dishpan, pour the oil over my head, work and squeeze it through, finger detangle, detangle with a comb in sections, then follow with a regular conditioner wash. I use about a cup of oil each time.

I just use an inexpensive oil from the supermarket since I am washing it out anyway. I have used safflower oil (my everyday oil, 3.49 for a large bottle) or even regular old vegetable oil if I wanted something heavy for detangling.
HTH.

Thanks PeggyFair & Pat Todd.....I just got my big ole 54 oz jar of coconut oil today so I hope it works.:yep:

HTH.

Really??? Yikes that sounds really heavy.

do you think Natural Oasis Herbal Styling oil would work nicely? the ingredients listed are: herbena, sunflower oil, olive oil, wheat germ oil, fruit oil, protein and fragrance.

Back