Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

This is my first hearing about this...I will try this as I am now having problems with tangles. I have to use a lot of Kenra to help detangle.

In fact, tonight, I add oil to my hair but after applying the dc; and before reading this thread. :lachen:

Sareca, I will try your method next time I wash. Thanks a lot for this info. I need all the moisture I could get.

ok so oil rinsing is pretty awesome, thanks sareca!! Question though, is anyone doing an acv rinse after the oil rinsing? I wanted to try doing an acv rinse but idk if that would get rid of the oil from oil rinsing or what...

This is now helping me. I use my vatika coconut oil to do this. I don't even need a comb. I just use my fingers to detangle my transitioning hair. I have to figure out what to do in the winter time. I'm hoping that by December, I'll have enough new growth to do some flat twists.

Does anyone straighten their hair after using the oil rinse method? Before trying this, I would like to know so I don't end up w/ super greasy hair after flat-ironing (I have natural, SL, THICK hair if that helps). TIA!

Sounds nice, just wondering if I'd get the same results by using oil as my pre-poo and then co-washing instead of using shampoo. Does anyone know the advantage to using the oil on wet hair instead of dry? How long are you guys leaving the oil on for?

I was thinking the same thing...

Does anyone straighten their hair after using the oil rinse method? Before trying this, I would like to know so I don't end up w/ super greasy hair after flat-ironing (I have natural, SL, THICK hair if that helps). TIA!

I love oil rinses! I have been doing wash and gos. I plan to straighten soon and when I do I will make sure to really work the conditioner in after rinsing out the oil. Perhaps rinse with conditioner a couple times. I can't stop oil rinsing. There must be a way!!!

Dang, I wish I had found this thread sooner. I just started oil rinses to help with keeping moisture locked in, but was pleasantly to find that it helped my detangling go much faster with less shedding. I didn't feel like I was ripping my fingers through my hair while detangling and it's stayed pretty much detangled since.

So I tried this during my wash today and my hair feels amazing and unbelievably soft! I've never really had a tough time detangling but wanted to try this method anyway...

- I DC on dry hair w/ AO HSR for 30 min w/ heat
- Washed with Mizani Botafying shampoo
- Used about 16 oz of EVOO and let it sit for about 3 min
- Washed w/ dilluted shampoo to get rid of most of the oil

I was able to detangle w/ only my fingers and my hair felt so soft, it's NEVER felt this way after washing...

This method is definitely a keeper for me!

This method is a staple for me as well! Especially when I Henna. Hair stays moisturized! I use all kinds of oils, EVOO, Castor, Avocado, Aphogee, Keracare Essential oils...

I kind of do this when I do a hot oil treatment. I do it after I wash my hair instead of before. Put some warm oil on my head then sit under the dryer, then rinse. The oil really gets a chance to soak into my strands and make them more pliable this way.

I just incorporated the oil rinse method after my henna treatment and before I applied my favorite Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner/baggy. I love this addition to my reggie, I spent less time rinsing out the henna, cause the oil actually rinsed the majority of the henna out with one application. Thank you Sareca and all the ladies on this forum...... I have been lurking since June but just recently became a member. I can honestly say my hair is in the best shape it has been since I was a child. I esp. love ayuvedic products, so if anyone knows of any Indian markets in the Houston area I would appreciate any recommendations, I am relocating next month and will surely miss all the access I had to my Indian products here in NC.

Thanks so much for posting!

I co-washed this morning and really wanted to oil rinse but never did it b4...as soon as I logged on i saw ur thread and was instantly inspired!
My hair lays so well..i've never seen it look and feel like this.

btw i oil rinsed with Nutiva coco. oil

OMG!! love your hair...

Thanks so much for posting!

I co-washed this morning and really wanted to oil rinse but never did it b4...as soon as I logged on i saw ur thread and was instantly inspired!
My hair lays so well..i've never seen it look and feel like this.

btw i oil rinsed with Nutiva coco. oil

Do you still moisturize and seal with oil like normal with an oil rinse?
i do. i deep condition overnight, oil rinse with vatika oil, shampoo, deep condition, and then after my hair is flat ironed i still moisturize and seal like normal.

I did a real oil rinse the other day and at first it was great because my hair was all weighed down after I washed it. It usually poofs up and shrinks a little, well I did all of the steps to a T. And Then I put it in a bun afterwards. Yes It was an effortless detangling session, yes my hair was soft as butter. But maybe an hour later I had oil dripping down my neck and back, and it wasn't little droplets it was a whole trail! :lachen: :lachen: it was so crazy. I think I used too much oil. Next time I'm only going to use maybe a half dollar size amount.

Sareca you are a saint!

I am usually on lurker status but I had to come out of my shell for this,
I deep conditioned/clarified my hair using Rhassoul Clay, Coconut Milk, Goat Milk powder (trying to use it up) Chamomile powder and a little bit of neem oil. Then let it sit in my hair for an hour. Next I took extra virgin coconut oil and smoothed it all over my hair, left it on for about 5 minutes. As I was rinsing it out my hair felt like I just don't know, I felt like I did not have any hair on my head it was so soft! I did not want to even do the conditioner rinse afterwards but I did anyway and now my hair is super soft and shiny. Thank you so very much for this amazing and useful information! By the way I am a 1 year old natural and this hair board has made my journey easy as pie. :yep:

I just did an oil rinse and I think I used way too much oil. It really helped me detangle
and stuff but now I have such oily hair
I have such a heavy hand! I need to control my portions
I wanna go back in the shower and rinse this oil out! oops!
but still I'm so happy with my hair, my new growth looks good, my hair is soft and detangled....

I had to bring this one back. I have about 2 inches NG dry as all get out and tangled to death. It's been a while since I did an oil rinse, but I remembered the last time it helped me with detangling. I oil rinsed as a prepoo, shampooed and co and whala! Soft, moisturized, tangle free hair. Sareca girl you are the Bomb! :yep: :grin:

So for the oil rinses, are we apply to dry hair or washed hair. Also are we applying to the scalp or the hair? I'm I correct you have to rinse in cool water?

I wet my hair first. Then saturated it with oil, scalp and hair. I let it stay on while I soaped up. Then rinsed it out w/ water as hot as I could stand it. Then shampoo and co as normal. i did it more like a prepoo. HTH

Last edited:
Back