Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Just did my 2nd oil rinse with coconut oil (1st time was with evoo) I have to say that my hair is sooo soft! I'm having serious hand in hair disease right now! :lachen:

Yeah I did it with EVOO at first, but then coconut oil too. I think my hair just responds to coconut oil better. IDK why...

This is one bandwagon I had to quickly jump off......my hair no likey oil rinses :nono:
It was good for slip while in the shower, but afterwards my hair seemed drier over time. I'll just stick to mixing oil with conditioner for pre-pooing.
Glad it's working for you all though!

:lachen: @ jumping off... I'm picturing a moving wagon and you leaping from it.

Folks that don't poo, you definitely want to give shikakai oil a try for oil rinses. It leaves my hair feeling so clean and light! I'm still amazed. I've been using it for a couple weeks and I can see why you'd never need poo again. :eek:

You can buy it, but I make my own in a slow cooker.

Last edited:
Also, i wud like to know what benefits you ladies are experiencing. I know that i am:
  • experiencing zero dryness
  • no breakage
  • hair growth (yes growth!)
  • overall - more sheen and elasticity

Sorry lady! I didn't even see you there. :blush:

For me it helps detangle, it helps curl definition on my WnG, and it leaves my hair soft, you don't have to shampoo at all (my hair hates poo), you use much less oil than a traditional prepoo on dry hair, the hair stays moisturized for days, lovely deep shine, my hair seems to stay henna'd longer, pretty much no breakage, minimal shedding, and it's free! :yay:

Bumping cuz I finally tried this and it was amazing!
I'm sorry I slept on it this long but to anyone who hasn't tried it, do try, it's fierce.

Normally during the shampoo process my strands feel kinda weak, especially during detainling. When I oil rinsed my strands felt strong! I could detangle w/o feeling like they would snap if I made one wrong move. I couldn't get over it. I wanted to cry with joy, lol. Thanks so much Sareca for sharing with us! I plan to do this everytime I shampoo now but I have one problem......after I did the rinse I roller set my hair and it came out an oil bomb:ohwell:. I know I did something wrong. I'm guessing I didn't co-wash good enough after oil rinsing? All I did was apply the conditioner to my already de-tangled hair and rinse out.....what should I do different next time? I need for most of the oil to be gone because my hair is fine and gets weighted down very easily, is this possible? I really need this to work because it's amazing but i don't want oily weighted down hair. Thanks again Sareca!:urock:

Last edited:
Umm how much oil are you supposed to use? Cause I did an oil rinse after I shampooed my hair last weekend and my hair was an oily mess. I ponytail rollerset and when I woke up and took the rollers out there was oil all on the rollers and my hair was sooooooo oily. I took my but to the stylist that second, I was too through with dealing with it...:nono:

I did the same exzact thing. I knew I was in trouble when I saw oil all over the rollers:lachen: After my hair dried I had to use a towel to blot and I put powder in my head too, lol.....still oily. I have to keep oil rinsing in my regimen though......I will get this to work!

Bumping cuz I finally tried this and it was amazing!
I'm sorry I slept on it this long but to anyone who hasn't tried it, do try, it's fierce.

Normally during the shampoo process my strands feel kinda weak, especially during detainling. When I oil rinsed my strands felt strong! I could detangle w/o feeling like they would snap if I made one wrong move. I couldn't get over it. I wanted to cry with joy, lol. Thanks so much Sareca for sharing with us! I plan to do this everytime I shampoo now but I have one problem......after I did the rinse I roller set my hair and it came out an oil bomb:ohwell:. I know I did something wrong. I'm guessing I didn't co-wash good enough after oil rinsing? All I did was apply the conditioner to my already de-tangled hair and rinse out.....what should I do different next time? I need for most of the oil to be gone because my hair is fine and gets weighted down very easily, is this possible? I really need this to work because it's amazing but i don't want oily weighted down hair. Thanks again Sareca!:urock:

:yay: It's crazy huh?

Let's see if we can't work out the kinks...

Did you rinse the oil with warm (sorta hot) water?
If you ever tried to wash oil off dishes you know the temperature of the water matters.

What kind of oil did you use?
Some light oils are meadowfoam, jojoba, sunflower

Do you poo? I can't remember if you're lo/no poo.
If you poo try a heavily diluted poo after the oil before the conditioner. By heavily diluted I mean take an empty 16-24 oz water bottle add a cap full of poo, about 3 oz of water, shake to combine, then fill to the top w/ more water and pour hair.

The last one will probably get you the best results, but if you're no/lo poo then try the first two.

:yay: It's crazy huh?

Let's see if we can't work out the kinks...

Did you rinse the oil with warm (sorta hot) water?
If you ever tried to wash oil off dishes you know the temperature of the water matters.

What kind of oil did you use?
Some light oils are meadowfoam, jojoba, sunflower

Do you poo? I can't remember if you're lo/no poo.
If you poo try a heavily diluted poo after the oil before the conditioner. By heavily diluted I mean take an empty 16-24 oz water bottle add a cap full of poo, about 3 oz of water, shake to combine, then fill to the top w/ more water and pour hair.

The last one will probably get you the best results, but if you're no/lo poo then try the first two.

I used very warm water and I used evoo to do the rinse. I shampoo'd and dc'd before the rinse, then co-washed. I think some of the problem came in because I didn't work the conditioner in at all.....I just slapped it on and rinsed it out. Maybe I should've worked it in a little?

In response to your last suggestion, I did think of using baking soda diluted with water after the oil rinse. I think I will try it out and see......or either I'll do the diluted poo like you suggested.

Thanks so much for your help girl! I just need to tweak this a little but I'm determined to make it work!

I've never done oil rinses before, I'm gonna have to try this. Thanks for posting the directions on how to do this. I'm going to try this over the weekend. :)

I used very warm water and I used evoo to do the rinse. I shampoo'd and dc'd before the rinse, then co-washed. I think some of the problem came in because I didn't work the conditioner in at all.....I just slapped it on and rinsed it out. Maybe I should've worked it in a little?

The conditioner part is very important. You definitely want to work it in. I section my hair into 8 sections. I part it down the middle and separate each side, starting from the nape, into 4 sections. I work about a palm full of conditioner into each section.

100_6977-vi.jpg
100_6978-vi.jpg
100_6987-vi.jpg
100_6981-vi.jpg

The rest of the pics are in my oil rinsing tutorial... http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/misc/oil-rinse-and-wash-/

Pokahontas said:
In response to your last suggestion, I did think of using baking soda diluted with water after the oil rinse. I think I will try it out and see......or either I'll do the diluted poo like you suggested.

Thanks so much for your help girl! I just need to tweak this a little but I'm determined to make it work!

I have no doubt you will :wink2: Try working the conditoner in.

This is one bandwagon I had to quickly jump off......my hair no likey oil rinses :nono:
It was good for slip while in the shower, but afterwards my hair seemed drier over time. I'll just stick to mixing oil with conditioner for pre-pooing. Glad it's working for you all though!

I think that's what I'm going to go back to doing....it's always worked for me as well.

I've been trying to retrace things that I've done differently between September '07 and December '07 that has me going from 'loving my hair' to 'I'm not really talking to you right now' - and whatever I wasn't doing prior, I'm taking off of the list...unfortunately...this will have to be one of them..:nono:

But like HT said, glad it's working for everyone else though..:yep:

The conditioner part is very important. You definitely want to work it in. I section my hair into 8 sections. I part it down the middle and separate each side, starting from the nape, into 4 sections. I work about a palm full of conditioner into each section.

100_6977-vi.jpg
100_6978-vi.jpg
100_6987-vi.jpg
100_6981-vi.jpg

The rest of the pics are in my oil rinsing tutorial... http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/misc/oil-rinse-and-wash-/

I have no doubt you will :wink2: Try working the conditoner in.

Thanks Sareca. I'll let you know how it goes next time. I'm goint to check out your tutorial too.

I use 2 palms full of oil. Basically I do it every time I wet my hair. I actually only detangle once/wk. When I apply the oil may change depending on what I'm doing. If I'm using a reconstructor or doing a protein treatment I follow the directions on the bottle and apply my oil after rinsing the treatment ... then follow the remaining steps.

Did this yesterday with Joico Intensive Reconstructor - hair came out the softest it's ever been :drunk:. Proceeded to DC with Keracare Humecto and glycerin...unbelievable will be incorporating oil rinsing into my regular regimen here on out....might want to try a less heavy oil though I used olive and it was a little difficult to work through my hair even though I had it in 4 sections for washing purposes.

Any suggestions on a lighter oil???

I think my growth has been inhibited by my inability to detangle well or find a product that helped to keep me from ripping out my naps. But, this might be the answer.

Yes finally. Going to try within the next week. Just washed my hair, after taking our braids yesterday, and it was really really easy to detangle. But, I neglected my hair while in braids. Soooo yea sad.

Just got out of the shower. Tried the oil-rinse. Using That 2.99 Oil from walmart. aFRICAN Herbal something..

Anyway..It was alright. :ohwell: My hair is different ever since I took out these braids I had, much easier to comb through. So I can't say if it wasn't as difficult as usual due to the oil-rinse or due to my hair changes. :scratchch

I just took the braids out like 3 days ago and this was my second wash. The first wash was just a conidtion wash...This wash had a protein condition and a deep condition addition.

I will try it again hopefully in 10-14 days during my next wash. I am trying to spread out my washes (low maint). I use to CON at least 4 times a week. Thats getting mad old. Especially since I am in a new climate, where they really have a winter season.
:wallbash:

Did this yesterday with Joico Intensive Reconstructor - hair came out the softest it's ever been :drunk:. Proceeded to DC with Keracare Humecto and glycerin...unbelievable will be incorporating oil rinsing into my regular regimen here on out....might want to try a less heavy oil though I used olive and it was a little difficult to work through my hair even though I had it in 4 sections for washing purposes.

Any suggestions on a lighter oil???

I when I need a lighter oil I use avocado, babassu, meadowfoam, or jojoba. :yep:

Just got out of the shower. Tried the oil-rinse. Using That 2.99 Oil from walmart. aFRICAN Herbal something..

Anyway..It was alright. :ohwell: My hair is different ever since I took out these braids I had, much easier to comb through. So I can't say if it wasn't as difficult as usual due to the oil-rinse or due to my hair changes. :scratchch

I just took the braids out like 3 days ago and this was my second wash. The first wash was just a conidtion wash...This wash had a protein condition and a deep condition addition.

I will try it again hopefully in 10-14 days during my next wash. I am trying to spread out my washes (low maint). I use to CON at least 4 times a week. Thats getting mad old. Especially since I am in a new climate, where they really have a winter season.
:wallbash:

If the first one didn't impress you try switching oils. Use an oil you know your hair likes.

I know what you mean about real winters. We have fake ones here but I went to my mother's house for Christmas and spent 1/2 an hour diffusing the roots every other day because I was afraid the water in my hair would freeze. :eek: :cold:

Let us know how your second attempt goes.

Last edited:
*Took notes* Now I have a question, does this work also for those who are transitioning?? Seems the majority are getting great results with this method.

I just shampooed and conditioned and dc'd my relaxed hair last night and it feels like crap. It's dull and dryish. Would it hurt to do the oil rinse thing tonight? I want to chelate, oil rinse, dc, etc. Is it too soon to wash again?

I'm a Newbie, can you tell?

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
  1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
  2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, jojoba, castor, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter--- my favorite is an amla, castor mix)
  3. Rinse with warm/hot water
  4. Apply conditioner
  5. Rinse with cool/cold water
  6. Apply leave-in
  7. Seal
Don't sleep on oil rinses! It may be your hair miracle. :yep:

I did this on my eldest son (I messed up at #5 I rised with hot water. I did not have this site up. Someone borrowed this and it is on Nappturally now also.) and his hair came out great. I will try it on son #3 and tell you how that goes.

Edited @ 1353 same day

#3 just got out of shower, his hair looks good but I do npt think I got enough of the red psalm kernal oil out of the back of his hair. He's all orange, maybe I used too much.

Last edited:
I need to find a thiner oils for both boys. I used avocado on the eldest and red psalm kerrnel oil form my third.

Yeah, sounds like the lighter oils would work better.
I like avocado, sunflower, meadowfoam, and jojoba.

Also try working the conditioner into the hair after rinsing the oil.
The surfactants (cleansers) in the conditioner will also
help get some of the oil out. Use the conditioner like
you would a shampoo.

Typically I ignore threads about detangling methods and products. I have for the last year or so. I thought my hair's health or my big chop had something to do with how easily it detangles. That is absolutely NOT the case. The oil-rinse method is why it detangles so easily. My hair completely detangles under just running water! :eek: Keep in mind I've recently adopted a low manipulation regimen. So the last time I detangled was at least a week (or more) ago.

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
  1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
  2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, jojoba, castor, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter--- my favorite is an amla, castor mix)
  3. Rinse with warm/hot water
  4. Apply conditioner
  5. Rinse with cool/cold water
  6. Apply leave-in
  7. Seal
I'm not alone other people think it a miracle too...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2679989#post2679989

The part that makes it an oil rinse is using conditioner to help rinse some of the oil from your hair. Everything else is just a pre-poo, hot oil treatment, or an oil wash.

Don't sleep on oil rinses! It may be your hair miracle. :yep:

so that's all it is? i did this before once on accident... i added too much oil and instead of washing it out i did a co-wash. i agree, it was AWESOME for my hair... i think i shall re-visit this since you give it such a great review. :grin:

so that's all it is? i did this before once on accident... i added too much oil and instead of washing it out i did a co-wash. i agree, it was AWESOME for my hair... i think i shall re-visit this since you give it such a great review. :grin:

Yep, that's it.

I always stray and revisit them too. :yep:

Yeah, sounds like the lighter oils would work better.
I like avocado, sunflower, meadowfoam, and jojoba.

Also try working the conditioner into the hair after rinsing the oil.
The surfactants (cleansers) in the conditioner will also
help get some of the oil out. Use the conditioner like
you would a shampoo.

I 2003 before I found this site and others like it, I use to con wash the older two hair all of the time but I do not remember what conditioner I was using at the time. All I know is they got sand in their hair and the conditioner wased it out. That was before 3 and 4 were here, I got off of the narrow path of what works and now I am trying to get back on it.

Thank you for your help

SARECA!!! i owe you a thousand thanks!!! after reading this thread i decided i should try this out on my son. his hair has A LOT of shrinkage and is difficult to comb/pick out. well, i washed it, rinsed, added olive oil, rinsed again, then added conditioner and started detangling. it was like MAGIC i tell you... MAGIC!!! by the time i rinsed out the conditioner, his hair felt super-soft and the sheen was sparkling off his hair like crazy.

bathtime was much less of a hassle for me. gosh i cannot thank you enough for reminding me of this!!! :notworthy

Back