Does Anyone Still Go To The Salon To Get Their Hair Done?

*SkolarStar*

As I sit under the dryer at a salon (Eclectic Vibez in Houston), I wonder if people still go to salons since we're in a DIY time. You can youtube anything from making wigs, learning how to braid, installing your own sew ins. The only reason I came in is because I have glue in my hair from a quickweave (Don't judge me. We all make poor choices. :lol:) and it has rave reviews on instagram. If I didn't have this issue, I would have done this at home.

However, I'll be back though once my hair is strong enough for a silk press.

Do you still go to the salon? For what services?

I go every few months for my relaxers. It's more relaxing (no pun intended) to have someone who knows what they're doing give you services sometimes. Like I can give myself my own exfoliating body/face scrubs and buy all the products... or I can go have the services done and be relaxed to treat my self. I like knowing I can do it myself but sometimes I like just sitting back and having it done.

I don't go anymore. The last time I went, she used products that I already had at home because I noticed the smell so I said heckie naw I can do this myself. When I get trims I go to Great Clips... Those women can cut some hair. And they never cut more than I ask. And yes I had the standing appointment too but mine was every freaking Saturday...geesh!

After years and years of not going I went to DevaChan salon in NY last summer for a devacut. The stylist recommended i not come back for 6 months or so. I would like to go every spring/summer.

I go mainly for hair color and trim every 8-12+ weeks. I found a place I like and she is conservative when trimming my hair. Even after I've authorized more....

But I don't miss the days of weekly or biweekly salon appointments.

When I get trims I go to Great Clips... Those women can cut some hair. And they never cut more than I ask.

I really like Great clips. This is the exact reason why. $15 including tip a few times a year is great. One of the best things I could've decided to do for my hair.

I want to but I haven't found a salon yet. I just want to get twist installed on my own hair. I can do it but I've seen others who have had a stylist do it and it looks so much more uniform and the parting is so much better. I'm also considering going for box braids perhaps once a month and just leave them in for a month.

I'm taking my time picking a salon so I can get it right. I will initially will just go in for a wash and condition just to feel it out. I won't do any real service to start with.

I used to have a standing 1x per week (Sat. 0600) and I loved my stylist he had my hair layed and it grew. When I moved overseas I decided to go natural but with a long transition. Now natural I still find myself going every 8 weeks cause I am doing back to back weaves. Dontspeakdefeat does it (member here) and she lives 2hrs from me. Oh what we do for our hair. lol

I haven't been since 2008. And I can't imagine under what circumstances I would be willing to go back. I'm tenderheaded and I would plot homicide every time I would go in. I guess not going is my gift to humanity now. LOL.

I'm a little neurotic about who is allowed to touch my hair so no, I haven't been to a salon since 2013 and I don't plan on going back ever. I give myself my own cuts, color and treatments. Only my mother is allowed to touch my hair because under her care, my hair flourished as a child. And my FH just earned his "hair pass" last summer! He was allowed to undo 7 of my twists last week.

I stopped going for 4 years. But since I am always somehow destroying my hair. Having set backs and taking 5 hours just to wash, treat and put my hair in a bun. I am just gonna pay the damn 35$ to have someone just wash, treat and press it. And install protective styles for me so I can finally get to WL. Why stress anymore?

For absolutely necessary trims yes, but otherwise, uhhh:look:.....no! Dont trust them and I don't like how rough they handle my tender lovelies so I do everything myself but the trim.

By the way, when I was totally relaxed, I did go twice a month.

I go into the salon every now and then when I'm feeling lazy or semi sick. I only go to the Paul Mitchell hair school in town and get a wash and blow-dry everything else I do myself. My mother does both my perms and my braids (individual or my base for under my wigs) so I have no real reason to go to the salon.

I'm still relaxed (long stretcher) and the last time I had a standing two week appointment was when I was in high school. My hair grows faster and healthier when I take care of my own hair.

I haven't been to a salon in over 5 years. I was never a regular at salons anyway since my mother is a stylist. She's the one that was doing my hair when I lived closer. She always took great care of it and my hair was always laid.

I would only consider going to a salon only if the stylist was into healthy hair care practices, which is hard to find in my neck of the woods.

Last visit was in August to get a weave install. I removed it two weeks later and vowed to never return unless its for a blowout/flat iron on special occasions. I'm not due to visit until May 2017 when I graduate. Until then I will be pampering, growing and trimming my hair. I refuse to allow these scissor happy stylists to have access to my strands again. Nope!

Back