Does Anyone Still Go To The Salon To Get Their Hair Done?

i wear weaves right now for protective styling so about every three months or so.
i enjoy other people doing my hair, it's a nice change of pace.
when my funds increase, i will go more often.

I usually go twice a year, but my last trip a few weeks ago will be the last time, she cut too much off.

If Reneice opens up some spots, I'll start going again.

I haven't been in over a year but I'm thinking about going back every few months for a silk press and trim or when I don't want to be bothered with my hair. I have a stylist in mind that a family member referred me to.

Gosh, I need to stop going. They always mishandle my hair, I always see a lot of my hair flying off the comb and all over the salon floor, actually that is where I lose most of my progress. My goal this year is to go only for braids but I will go with my hair already washed and deep conditioned.

If I was a straight hair natural, I'd go every two weeks. But since I'm not, I don't go at all. I like washing my hair weekly and won't pay someone for a style that would only last that long.

To those of you who still go to salons, how do you know what products they are using on your hair and if it's a good product? My experience with them was they always put their products in plain white bottles so you won't know what they are using. Unless you know by the smell alone, they could be putting anything on your hair...

When I was relaxed, I went maybe twice a year and that was only for refreshing my layers. Everything else I did myself.

As a natural, I only plan to go 1-2 times a year for straightening and a trim.

ETA: I am hoping to make an appointment with dontspeakdefeat. At this point, she is the only person that will be allowed to straighten my hair.

Last edited:
Right now I go once a month but I'm in crochet braids. For weave maybe but I'm much more picky about my actual hair

To those of you who still go to salons, how do you know what products they are using on your hair and if it's a good product? My experience with them was they always put their products in plain white bottles so you won't know what they are using. Unless you know by the smell alone, they could be putting anything on your hair...
I go to a Deva salon. No white bottles, and they tell me what they're using before they put anything in my hair.

Exactly my problem!...alla products in the same nameless jar! ..no can't do!

QUOTE="Kinky4Agirl, post: 22225131, member: 366099"]To those of you who still go to salons, how do you know what products they are using on your hair and if it's a good product? My experience with them was they always put their products in plain white bottles so you won't know what they are using. Unless you know by the smell alone, they could be putting anything on your hair...[/QUOTE]
D

I take my own relaxer. They use a neutralizing shampoo, deep conditioner and setting lotion that all have labels but I can't think of what they are right now. I've seen them all before though. The only thing the wouldn't tell me was that protein treatment they gave me that halted ALL breakage. Like not one hair broken. They applied it like a relaxer from a bowl so I called them up to ask what it was and they would just say it was a protein treatment, no matter how many times I asked :lol:

I haven't been since June 2015 after she overlapped my relaxer to the ends.. I had some hair breakage due to that ,. I self relax and color my hair and I am very happy

I take my own relaxer. They use a neutralizing shampoo, deep conditioner and setting lotion that all have labels but I can't think of what they are right now. I've seen them all before though. The only thing the wouldn't tell me was that protein treatment they gave me that halted ALL breakage. Like not one hair broken. They applied it like a relaxer from a bowl so I called them up to ask what it was and they would just say it was a protein treatment, no matter how many times I asked :lol:
If you really want to know, you can find out who their distributor is and call them directly.

If you really want to know, you can find out who their distributor is and call them directly.

They use different brands of products so they don't have 1 distributor. I have a feeling it's one of the brands they have behind their glass. I go to a Dominican salon. Those ladies to not give up secrets :lol:

I gave up my weekly salon appointments years ago because I was tired of following her from salon to salon. I was tired of waiting hours for her to get to my hair since she was always running 2-3 clients behind. I was tired of her sister/assistant pushing her clownish make up services on everybody in the shop. The only thing I liked was the free cuts and coloring when she wanted new flyers or something. But now I don't want layers or straight hair so I couldn't see myself going to anybody's salon unless they had proof they could get me to my hip length goal.

I still take my mother to the salon and her stylist never conceals her products. I didn't know people did that until LHCF.

I love getting my hair done but it never comes out as well I originally hoped.
I haven't gone since my fully relaxed days so I'm scared how anyone would handle my natural hair now.

im relaxed now...there is this old school blk stylist that i forgot i use to go to ions ago....my mom goes to her..you know one of those salons in a suburb that the ladies in the neighborhood go to..named shirly's place or dianes salon palace lol

anyhoo i went on friday...she is super gentle and has all the right products...a month ago she did my relaxer and trimmed my ends well
i went friday with my dc in my hair she washed and set...she gives the best scalp massages and her shop is calm grown and your in and out...conversations are always meaningful..its not upscale but its not ratchet either..its an old school salon with character..my stand up hair dryer didnt arrive yet but i will continue to go as every once in a blue i want to just sit and let someone else do my hair...:gorgeous:

I'm in Houston too. I still go to salons for special occasions or length checks. I love Studio A Salon in Rice Village and M Dominican on Bingle. I cam straighten my own hair, but it doesn't have the same body and it doesn't last as long.

No but I will be visiting in March for color. I cannot seem to DIY it correctly.

I haven't been in a few years,found one I'll check out. I need a good trim and maybe color. They can correct henna here? ........I'm intrigued

I bring my own products. On the rare occasions where my hairdresser wants to use one of her own products, I normally allow her to....after I have read the ingredients of the product.

We have developed a relationship over the years where we trust each other and we both try to do what's best for my hair. There are times I have used products that were not right for my hair and she did not hesitate to tell me as such. The reverse is also true. I consider myself blessed to have a hairdresser that I can trust because the Lord knows I spent a long time searching.

I follow Eclectic Vibez on Instagram. Her work is amazing. I would love to get my hair straightened by her. Her and Reniece. Other than that I'm good on my own for now. I used the Etae products last time and a new flat iron and my hair turned out the best I've ever done it. I loved it.

To answer the question, I rarely ever go to the salon. I can probably count on two hands how many times I've ever been as an adult. Time before last in '04 resulted in heat damage leading to my BC. I went to Dontspeakdefeat last year. She did a good job but it reverted right away. The GA humidity was too much for me. With that and the infrequent heat usage my straight hair didn't stand a chance. I'll take that over heat damage anyday though.

Oh wait, I'm not counting Supercuts/Master Cuts types of spots. I go there every time I straighten for a trim, which sometimes turns into a full on cut with them. That's once or twice a year.

Since starting my transition in 2012 I've seen a stylist exactly 4 times. The last two times were for my weddings (got married twice in two different places) in April and July 2014.

I don't consider salons as "getting pampered" because I suffer every minute of the experience, and the stylists tend on complain because of the amount of hair, and get frustrated at how long they're taking, rip hair, etc. Salons have been unpleasant overall for me, since going natural. The only salon (of the four I've gone to) that I would go to again is the very first one I tried, but that was in Canada (Montreal) and I no longer live there. If I did I would definitely see a stylist more often.

I follow Eclectic Vibez on Instagram. Her work is amazing. I would love to get my hair straightened by her. Her and Reniece. Other than that I'm good on my own for now.

Same! I follow both. I've decided I'm going to have to fly down for the TLC. Someone posted in another thread that she went to another stylist at eclecticvibez and it was a nay.
The flight from Dallas to Houston is appropriate. Plus I have plenty of friends/fam there to make a weekend trip out of it for a color and trim.

Its sooooooOOOO sad that in 2016 great hairstylist are still rare.

The last "natural" stylist I went seemed to get "offended" that I brought my own hair tools and declined a $20 upcharge for a steam treatment.
Bihh fine tooth combs and 4b hair do not play well and I have my OWN steamer that works just fine.
I also had to explain that I only wanted a light dusting of my "uneven ends" vs the haircut she wanted to do.

@*SkolarStar*
How was your visit with Eclectic Vibez? Everyone raves about her and her classes.

I go to the salon every 3 months for a blowout and trim (2 separate salons). I also use a licensed braider every 2 - 3 months (although she doesn't work in a salon).

Back