Do you believe women when they say their hair has never been longer than neck length

Re: Do you believe women when they say their hair has never been longer than neck len

Yes, for a long time, my hair was no longer that nape length. If you look at my early pictures.

Re: Do you believe women when they say their hair has never been longer than neck len

Yes, for a long time, my hair was no longer that nape length. If you look at my early pictures.

I was going to say the same thing for myself until I got on a natural hair kick

I believe them but I'm always in mild shock about it.

I would believe that too. I mean who really wants to admit that their hair doesnt grow past their neck?

I can believe it. I've seen it and from my personal experience, I've never been longer than CBL soo, I don't see how someone not making it past NL is that different.

I think what the determinative factor is what age a person is when they start jacking up their hair. The longer they can maintain fairly decent hair practices the longer their hair is at the point in their life when the person starts to mess it up. This length usually becomes the so called "magic length" that the person is always able to get to before it starts breaking again...

i believe it , i have a cousin whom i've known all my life and i have never seen her hair pass neck length, including the two years she actually tried to grow it out :sad:.

I can believe it. I've seen it and from my personal experience, I've never been longer than CBL soo, I don't see how someone not making it past NL is that different.

I think what the determinative factor is what age a person is when they start jacking up their hair. The longer they can maintain fairly decent hair practices the longer their hair is at the point in their life when the person starts to mess it up. This length usually becomes the so called "magic length" that the person is always able to get to before it starts breaking again...

this is an interesting concept. because it seems logical that any person should be able to grow their hair past the neck, BUT i guess if their moms consistently cut it when they were young and then they got relaxer after relaxer i could see it happening. like conditioning on the hair strands to stop at a certain point

I believe it. I think its so sad for those people who can't grow their hair past the neck. Most os them just believe that their hair won't grow.

Also you really cant say you had very long hair as a child because your height is different. 12 inches on a 7 year old is way different on a 17 year old.

I know, right! It's so interesting to me people talk about it as though "apl" on a 5 year old is like apl on an adult. apl on a baby is probably still less than sl on an adult.

But to the OP, yeah, I believe it. I'm not totally sure what "neck" length is, or "ear" length or any of the lengths above shoulder, but it definitely seems like a lot of people don't get to full shoulder length.

Last edited:

Similarly, if you had told me when I was a teenager that I could have plaits this long, I would've thought you were just being cruel coz this is the longest I could ever get my plaits (and notice how much smaller the plaits were than the previous pic :( )

Nonie, is your hair straightened in these pics?

I can believe them when they say that b/c I went to college with a young lady who hair is the exact same ear/neck length from college and that was 1993/1994 and I saw her last year the same length :blush:. I just can't think that you love your hair so much that you have kept it this way these many years and not switch or changed it one bit :ohwell:. I know another young lady who hair is the same ear/neck length from when I met her in 2005 until now 2008 :ohwell:. I mean really, I'm just saying ....... I've never been APL before the board but hey, it did grow past shoulders though......

or some extremely short length? I don't know if I do because Oprah was saying the same thing when her hair was actually longer than when it is on her show as a teenager? I just find it hard to believe that someone's hair has never been longer than neck length or the top of their neck. I've heard this before but I said maybe they forgot that it was longer when they were little.

So, do you think some people exaggerate?:ohwell:

That was true for me. Ever since I can remember my hair never came anywhere near my neck. it was always a little longer than ear length. Shoulder length is the longest my hair's ever been.

I definitely believe it when people say it; however, I don't believe its in their genetic make-up to only achieve neck length hair. It's lack of knowledge on how to properly care for one's hair. I used to have APL hair until the age of 8 when I got my first relaxer, since then the longest my hair has been is SL. Now that I've found LHCF, hopefully the knowledge that I've gained here will help me achieve my goal of BSL hair.

Back