Do you believe she didn’t know ?

So the stylist is claiming the customer didn’t know her hair was broken off like this. I fully understand cutting hair when straight.

However her hair is bsl in the back and broken to the ears in another section.

She really didn’t see that when she was detangling her hair herself ??

Cyndoll is annoying.

No, I don’t believe she didn’t know. Nor that this damage is a result of a Devacut. Cyn does this all the time, I’ve noticed. She creates fake narratives to explain the damage her client that day has, to fit whatever she wants to rant about that day. I don’t always (or often) disagree with her, but I still find her exhausting and too much of a “know it all”.

Last edited:
I can kind of see how she didn't know. Based on how her hair looked at the beginning of the clip, it looks like she probably wears a puff as her primary style. If she finger detangles directly into the style and puts it in the same spot, she may not have known.

I didn't like the way she did the cut though. Something about the way she cut the guide for the back seemed off.

Wow, just wow. Years of wearing wigs and weaves and not many trims. :nono: Makes me want to pull out the shears right now lol.

Poor thing, she looked very upset; you think you have all that length and then bam it's gone. But she's starting afresh from a decent canvas now.

Whenever I've had a cut my hair has grown back so quickly, back to where it was before in no time at all.

That’s a nice bob..This is the cut I had back on February 28th 2018..I had to get my thigh length hair cut to about 3inches in the back & up to my cheeks in the front...I do understand,but I also was aware of spots I had developed because of all the surgeries/medications...I wish her well.she has a brand new start..

Happy Hair Growing!

I'm watching one of her videos where the client has a "hole" in the back of the hair. I don't agree that it all has to be cut to that length, the hair is simply uneven and it will catch up with proper looking after. As long as the dead ends are removed I don't see a problem with having a slightly uneven section; yes from an aesthetic point of view it might not look amazing, and stylists hate that, because the focus is on that aesthetic for many stylists, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

I had a W problem in the back for a while, I simply babied the area and the "hole" grew back. No need to have a drastic cut on that occasion.

Last edited:
I believe she didn't know. If she was grabbing a piece in the back for length checks and claiming that, then styled hair that isn't low manipulation is a reality check to the true condition of the hair.

Last edited:
I'm watching one of her videos where the client has a "hole" in the back of the hair. I don't agree that it all has to be cut to that length, the hair is simply uneven and it will catch up with proper looking after. As long as the dead ends are removed I don't see a problem with having a slightly uneven section; yes from an aesthetic point of view it might not look amazing, and stylists hate that, because the focus is on that aesthetic for many stylists, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

I had a W problem in the back for a while, I simply babied the area and the "hole" grew back. No need to have a drastic cut on that occasion.

I agree. I had the same thoughts watching another of her videos where she was ranting about naturals “damaging” their hair by cutting it curly. If the hair has been cut to uneven lengths and didn’t break, then it’s not really damaged hair, it’s just uneven hair. There’s no reason to cut off ALL of that hair, just so it can look good for the 2 weeks out of the year they wear their hair straight.

I can’t watch Cyn regularly but I enjoy watching AfrikanHairGod’s natural hair watch parties (on 2x:look:) and her vids are hella entertaining if you imagine the captions in purple font...:look:
Occasionally she’ll say a kernel of something I agree with but idk if I’ve ever seen even one of her videos I could recommend to anyone with any kind of seriousness or for tutorial purposes. And I say that with love.

I won’t bash her in any way, as I respect her hustle, and that she appears to have a mostly satisfied clientele, and knowing how to cater to your audience for mutual benefit is commendable.

According to Cyn, the client is a majority wig/weave wearer and I’ve seen all sorts of shenanigans creep up on people while wearing weaves and wigs... and no offense to anyone, but I don’t qualify majority wig/weave wearers as “protective stylers” when they don’t actually care for their own hair. I have seen similar damage this lady has from improperly drying cornrows under weaves (some are dried, some aren’t and the combination of dryness and over moisturizing will break off whole chunks/rows of hair.)

I have NEVER seen that level of unevenness JUST from curly cuts. Some of her hair RANDOMLY looked about 14”+ and some looked only about 4” or less. That’s kinda ridiculous. I can’t imagine what kind of “natural styling” would look “good/attractive” or where you could remotely not notice even just while detangling/completing a loose-haired wash day routine.

Now, if you’re only dealing with your hair on a “strand wellness check” basis a few/no times per year, how would you ever be able to properly assess it? I honestly know lots of people who just get their hair rebraided back to back and never wash it loose themselves, and if that’s what she was doing, random pull tests from her nape area at the shampoo bowl could easily convince her that her hair is healthy and growing... although how no one else ever alerted her (like a braider) is kinda hard to believe. And the idea that she cornrowed her own hair or styled it in any way herself and didn’t notice this extreme unevenness is crazy. I know everybody is different, but even though my hair is curly, I notice funky ends IMMEDIATELY. And the only reason I wouldn’t is if I ignored them for a long while and got desensitized to how they’re supposed to feel.

Since the woman CLEARLY is neglecting her hair, and if what Cyn says is remotely true and she’s a perpetual weave/wig wearer, Cyn cut WAY too much for the client’s actual lifestyle. And while she SAYS the client was ok with it, I don’t believe she actually explained to the client all of her options and TO ME, the client looked upset at all of the cutting. If it were me and the client were amenable, I would’ve discovered from a thorough consultation that the client wears her hair cornrowed 99% of the time anyway and I would’ve just cleaned up the ends in each individual section and let her have a super disconnected haircut. Untrained eyes or eyes used to everything being EVEN would say I did a hack job on her, but the client and I would know she was satisfied with her results and because she has some length to preserve and a benchmark to aim her other hair, she has a higher likelihood (imho) of babying her hair to a healthier state to avoid this level of damage (if it’s damage and not just unevenness). On the other hand, sometimes you can want something on a logical level but disagree with it on an emotional one.

(For instance, in my own haircare, I LOVE my hair long, my hair can be a little naturally fragile, I LOVE my hair with an attractive shape, and I LOVE playing in my hair— these are contraindicated facts, so while I logically understand that PSing and growth aides consistently will get me to my LONG HAIR goals the fastest, playing in it and being random is how I enjoy/have fun with my hair, so emotionally, it can be hard to PS or maintain certain things consistently or leave the scissors alone for random little coils here and there when I’m styling.)

Whew, sorry for the novella.
Good thread, OP!

Back