Do You Ask Men How Much Money They Make?

Do you ask men how much money they make?

• Total voters

sgold04

I was chatting with some ladies this evening, and one girl said that one of her "filter questions" is to ask a man how much money he makes....
Now finances and career stability matter, but I was surprised she jumps right out and asks them. She said they respond too #themoreyouknow

So, do you? If yes, how do they react? If not, how do you assess a man's financial stability in the getting-to-know-you stages?

a. hell no just because its tacky as fock.

b. I dont need to??? its a pretty simple thing to gauge.

if i ever straight up asked a man how much money he makes i would expect the relationship to immediately become transactional in nature, if it continued at all. please tell me women are not running around actually doing this.

all you need to know is a.) educational background b.) career field c.) job title d.) what part of town he lives in and e.) situational cues. where you go on dates, the kinds of clothes he wears, and his attitude toward money all tell you what range he is in.

i mean come on. isnt it obvious to tell 30k from 50k from 80k from 100+?

How are you in the 'getting to know you' phase if you can't naturally gauge how much money he makes? Do they talk to each other at all? Lol at some point he's going to tell you what he does for a living, no? And then you go on glassdoor...no? :look:

Am I misunderstanding the question? Is there more to this?

Oh, I'm just talking about the 'how much money do you make' question. Assessing his financial stability, well that's going to be much harder (I assume).

Very tacky. I wouldn't answer a question like this. And it doesn't even matter how much he makes if he's not spending it on you.

I would look more into his company, career field and seniority to get a sense of how much he makes.
Also where he lives, if he owns property or something like that are indicators a woman can use to approximate how much he has.

How are you in the 'getting to know you' phase if you can't naturally gauge how much money he makes? Do they talk to each other at all? Lol at some point he's going to tell you what he does for a living, no? And then you go on glassdoor...no? :look:

Am I misunderstanding the question? Is there more to this?

Oh, I'm just talking about the 'how much money do you make' question. Assessing his financial stability, well that's going to be much harder (I assume).
You aren't misunderstanding the question, it's as simple as that. She straight up asks them.

She was also complaining about her ex who was/is in medical school and he's now interning (I don't remember the exact steps to be a doctor) and how he only makes 50k....

a. hell no just because its tacky as fock.

b. I dont need to??? its a pretty simple thing to gauge.

if i ever straight up asked a man how much money he makes i would expect the relationship to immediately become transactional in nature, if it continued at all. please tell me women are not running around actually doing this.

all you need to know is a.) educational background b.) career field c.) job title d.) what part of town he lives in and e.) situational cues. where you go on dates, the kinds of clothes he wears, and his attitude toward money all tell you what range he is in.

i mean come on. isnt it obvious to tell 30k from 50k from 80k from 100+?
I thought it was tacky as hayle too, but I wanted to post a neutral OP.

I thought the bolded is how women normally gauge income level, but after that convo, I thought maybe I'm wrong lol.

Very tacky. I wouldn't answer a question like this. And it doesn't even matter how much he makes if he's not spending it on you.

I would look more into his company, career field and seniority to get a sense of how much he makes.
Also where he lives, if he owns property or something like that are indicators a woman can use to approximate how much he has.

The bolded: exactly

You aren't misunderstanding the question, it's as simple as that. She straight up asks them.

She was also complaining about her ex who was/is in medical school and he's now interning (I don't remember the exact steps to be a doctor) and how he only makes 50k....

She was silly if she left him over that. The vast majority of Drs are broke during Residency after Medical School. Some are bogged down with student loans for several years before they see any return on their investment. Did she see his title and automatically assumed he was rich? If you are not patient then it is in your best interests to catch a single Dr. 5 - 10 yrs after completing their Residency.

Medicine aside, I have never come across any wealthy interns in any field unless they have prior money or come from a family with money. Very rare to find a six figure internship. I'm sure they are there but they are not the norm.

She was silly if she left him over that. The vast majority of Drs are broke during Residency after Medical School. Some are bogged down with student loans for several years before they see any return on their investment. Did she see his title and automatically assumed he was rich? If you are not patient then it is in your best interests to catch a single Dr. 5 - 10 yrs after completing their Residency.

Medicine aside, I have never come across any wealthy interns in any field unless they have prior money or come from a family with money. Very rare to find a six figure internship. I'm sure they are there but they are not the norm.
the very fact that someone can work for free means their bills are taken care of somehow. ima need for ops friend to get a clue :lol:

She left him for other reasons, but I think the fact that he "only" makes 50K as an intern makes her feel better about her decision. I told her about my oral surgeon friend who made less than me (while I was teaching) when she was interning, and she now makes 275K.

This reminds me, I'm meeting a lot of highly educated dumb people lately, many of them early to mid twenties.
(No offense my young friends, I know there are plenty of you who are smart with common sense)

the very fact that someone can work for free means their bills are taken care of somehow. ima need for ops friend to get a clue :lol:
She's not my friend, just someone I happened to be around when this conversation came up.

ETA: and I forgot to mention, she's an intern too (not in the medical field), so one would assume she'd know better

She left him for other reasons, but I think the fact that he "only" makes 50K as an intern makes her feel better about her decision. I told her about my oral surgeon friend who made less than me (while I was teaching) when she was interning, and she now makes 275K.

This reminds me, I'm meeting a lot of highly educated dumb people lately, many of them early to mid twenties.
(No offense my young friends, I know there are plenty of you who are smart with common sense)
she stoooooooooooooopid! does she know how lucky she is to meet a med student while theyre interning?!?!?!

Well duh! :lol: I guess she's not used to being around people in the medical field?

no...

it isnt necessary there are a whole lot of cues to work with...
also a lot of men tend towards a need to brag / impress women they are interested in by talking about their financial prowess..
if they do name a number best to drop it down for the real figure

I wasn't offended. I should have put a :lol: after my comment.

I'm interested to know what she said after you told her about how your friend makes $200K+. I find it odd that someone in their mid-twenties doesn't understand how medical internships/fellowships work. It's not like the guy was going to be making $50K for much longer. But since they had other issues, I guess it's a moot point.

Last edited:
Back